Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Kwyndig posted:

The problem with using chickens is that sometimes they set off traps that hit you because of where you're standing (and the GM is a dick unless he's running a particularly evil module).

Also people get attached to chickens.

Humans do not like animal companions dying, period. You cannot prevent us from pack-bonding, it's impossible.

Even when they were using literal canaries in literal coal mines, the miners would use a special device to prevent the bird from dying after it fainted from carbon monoxide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Clearly, dragons maintain too high an internal temperature for any large parasites to survive.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Arc Hammer posted:

At the risk of pretty general spoilers, do you think that the cat bard and the boat elves from the OP will appear in this cour? I think I've spotted everyone else from the OP in an episode so far.

Minor manga spoilers, but we won't see the elves, but we might meet the cat this week. Depends on how they split up this next bit.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

YggiDee posted:

Are cours seasons?

Sometimes, sometimes not.

It's the term for like 10-13 episode block of a show that correspond roughly to what airs in a calendar season. Sometimes that is also all of a show that airs at one time, sometimes a season is multiple cours, like this one.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Popo posted:

This was my interpretation. An earlier ep said the city had been expanded and distorted by magic so it feels like a building built by photoshops smart expand/fill.

I also have a renewed respect for this fandom. The show had the closest thing to fanservice with Marcille and her Lady Godiva hair yet, by significant factors the most reposted screen shots are of smiles and hand holding. Don't get me wrong, I know the thirsty fiends are out there and I see them but I was mildly surprised what grabbed the lions share of the attention.

I've definitely seen a lot of bath scene gif sets on tumblr, but yeah, this is not a horny fandom, at least in that way.

Except for Senshi, everyone is loving the Senshi panty shots :allears:

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Saying "coming in April!" is pretty funny in a trailer posted on March 28th :allears:

God there's so much good stuff coming up in the second cour, I cannot wait for everyone to meet (trailer spoilers) the cat.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Zeruel posted:

also fun fact the "correct" official name for him is supposed to be sissel but sometimes the official names are worse

Which doesn't make any sense because some of the extra materials revealed that he's named after the flower because of his purple eyes.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

MonsterEnvy posted:

Last I checked the Hound was just a normal dog.

Not true.

It was a BIG dog, painted with phosphorous :colbert:

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Same, that poo poo was deeply unsettling

A non-spoilery yet relevant bonus comic (from Daydream Hour 4):

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Electric Phantasm posted:

In Scarlet/Violet there are straight up pokemon dishes you can buy.

Like one has a Klawf claw just sticking out of it, another is called Pickled Toedscool and Cucumbers.

In X/Y, you go to restaurants where they serve you fancy meals made of pokemon.

The games have never been shy about it, these are animals, they eat each other and humans eat them.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Marsupial Ape posted:

I can't believe the boys objectified Marcille like that.

It was the cockatrice who objectified her, I think you'll find.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Whitenoise Poster posted:

The almost here being the fact that the voice acting means less people going "oh I thought he was a girl."

This happened more often than you'd think during the fan translation era.

They argued for weeks about that stupid elf with the book that took Falin.

That elf and Mickbel, the half-foot in Kabru's party who hangs out with the kobold, are both misgendered in the early volumes of the official translation. Like the actual, physical volumes I bought, I was very confused at first, but I guess they started printing those before the Adventurer's Bible came out :v:

Also yeah, I still occasionally see posts on Tumblr saying "what do you MEAN Kabru isn't a beautiful butch woman".

Begemot fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Apr 20, 2024

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

He's a hero in a fantasy story, of course he killed those dudes.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Suleman posted:

I'm afraid he's not carrying Kaka, he's just an old man struggling to climb the stairs while Kaka is walking behind him.

Both of the twins are carrying two bags, which makes it slightly more difficult to see what's going on.

Kaka's legs are not on the stairs, they're wrapped around the backpack. He's definitely getting a piggy-back ride.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Arc Hammer posted:

Question (and feel free to PM me if the answer ends up going into spoiler territory). So Shuro and his retinue are pretty blatantly fantasy Japanese, especially if they come from the "Eastern Archipelago". Shuro's behaviour is pretty typical of samurai characters and his inability to speak directly about things that bother him reads to me thing Ryoko Kui infused him with Japanese social norms (avoiding direct confrontation, passive-aggressive politeness, etc). When he proposed to Falin, did it come out of nowhere or had they built up a rapport during their time in Laios's first party group? When Namari mentions he'd gone the other way to find Falin the party calls him clueless, and paired with his outbursts this episode it's clear he's terrible at communicating the same way the other cultures do. It seems like the Eastern islanders are the odd ones out among the social customs of the island locals and the northerners. They obviously don't represent all easterners, since Kabru's mage Rin doesn't like being lumped in with Shuro's culture just because she's also ethnically eastern.

All that preamble out of the way, does the story go further into the cultural divide between the various Tall Men societies in this world? Is a straight up marriage proposal out of the ordinary among non-eastern tall-men? How much of Shuro's issues are personal ones versus societal ones?

Like I said, if this is significant spoiler talk then PM me but I don't know where else to ask. I haven't read the manga and asking in that thread means navigating a lot more black bars and unspoilered content that we haven't seen yet in the show.

Nah, this is pretty much the extent of that. There's more about differences in culture between races (elves, half-foots, etc) than between different regional varieties of any one of them.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I love how Senshi was just standing on the sidelines, holding that meal for Shuro, for the entire Falin confrontation :allears:

But then he did put it down so he could go gather other supplies afterwards. Just a real deer-in-the-headlights moment, I guess. I really like how this show is using little montages for some scenes, like the bit where they gather/heal everyone after the fight. It's a nice way of keeping the pacing up, while not losing anything from the manga.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Yeah, I think a lot of the Kabru stuff works better in the manga, easier to get across the contrast of what he's saying and thinking.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Electric Phantasm posted:

Really wondering where the chicken part came from. Something the gang missed when reviving Falin? Something the Mad Mage threw in for fun? Are chickens and dragons closely related like how chickens are closely related to dinosaurs IRL?

It's so she's not naked :v:

Worldbuilding answer: she was created artificially by ancient forbidden magic twice over, first being revived with dragon meat and then being turned back into a dragon. It's not surprise that things got a little messed up. Feathers and scales have a very similar structure even if dragons aren't directly related to birds in this world (probably divergent evolution, if ever there was a fantasy setting with evolution this would be it).

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

DrSunshine posted:

It is much more in the anime adaptation and really plays up the yuri angle. In the manga, if I recall correctly, it starts off with Marcille on the outside of the tub when she checks on Falin's damage.

She starts off outside... washing Falin's back, then hops in the tub to look for damage. It is not really less yuri, I would say, though it does give you a better idea of the layout of the room.

The manga generally does a better job setting the scene, I feel like a lot of scenes in the anime are just set in perfectly square rooms (probably easier to render).

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Asterite34 posted:

Y'know, I would take Shuro more seriously as a character if he didn't elect to have his entourage/emergency dungeoneering party be made up exclusively of sexy ninja ladies who all adore him, including his childhood nanny. It kinda gives the vibe of that one KonoSuba episode where Kazuma's group encounters a "traditional" isekai protagonist and find him and his twin catgirl girlfriends deeply creepy.

I think it helps that none of them fawn over him or even seem to like him besides Maizuru. The others are acting like they're just doing their day job (or having fun hitting things with a club).

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Arc Hammer posted:

A Japanese Samurai showing up with a ninja entourage into the middle of a typically European medieval fantasy setting does look weird.

Nah, it's perfectly normal, both ninja and samurai are classes in Wizardry :v:

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

CuddleCryptid posted:

I feel like I'm going slightly crazy with a lot of the Laios and Shuro discussion I've seen online because, yknow, they're friends. They're really good friends, and they respect each other. Shuro is pissed because Laios just told him that he resurrected Shuro's love interest with Go Right To Execution Black Magic, but it's clear in all their interactions that they are close. Hell, in the previous episode we see Shuro running himself completely ragged with all of his retainers begging him just to stop and eat, and one word from Laios breaks through it. They fight and then sit down and talk afterwards. Shuro gives him something that could be considered abetting a fugitive, and imo it's pretty clear that he would help them even if they couldn't get Falin out.

Yeah they vented a lot of poo poo but surely we have had relationships where it's "you drive me absolutely batshit 90% of the time but the other 10% makes up for it".

Yeah, it's funny how the fans are acting like they're still mortal enemies, trying to figure out who's in the right, when the conflict between them is already resolved in the actual show. They both made mistakes and hurt each other, but they finally got their feelings out and moved forward, there's no fundamental conflict there.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Alan Smithee posted:

Are they still gonna eat :ohdear:

You bet your rear end they are.

Eating is a core theme of this series, it's never going away.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Love how you don't have to change Senshi one bit, he's already a Moomin character :allears:

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Warmachine posted:

It was cool seeing how this played out. Someone I know (who is a massive fan of the manga) gave me the details about Marcille's motivations and fears a while back, and I'd been interested to see how they'd come out in the narrative. It felt a bit weird that the episode was structured a little like a double feature with half of the plot given to Izutsumi and the other half to Marcille, but I'm also not familiar with the manga so maybe that's just how it goes?

They generally stick to a pace of two chapters per episode, which sometimes works perfectly (like last week's episode), but sometimes they're more separate, like this.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

MiracleFlare posted:

Some scenes and chapters have been rearranged to accommodate the two-per-episode standard, most notably Dryads being pushed to after Sea Serpent. I remember some people speculating that the nightmares would be pushed back too or that Shapeshifters would be shortened so that some more of Izutsumi's introduction could be squeezed in at the end, but I couldn't see either of those working any better than what we got.

Happy catgirl day, everyone!

They actually moved Dryads around for the collected volumes of the manga, even changing the chapter numbering. It really does flow better that way.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Senshi has been on his own for a long, long time. He cares about the rest of the party, but old habits die hard. When he was on his own, there was never any need to convince or argue with anyone over the right course of action, he could just start doing it immediately. Indeed, being very confident in your own abilities and judgment is an important survival skill!

But it's different with a group, and he's only known these people for like two weeks (as the shapeshifter episode reminded us, his were the least accurate).

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

amigolupus posted:

My guess is Izutsumi is her actual name while Asebi was the name Shuro's family had given her when she entered their service?

They're all fake names except for Toshiro.

They're ninjas, so they're going by code names, even though it's not really a typical ninja mission :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I can't find the page now, but in another Dream Diary Kui talked about how she completely gave up on drawing backpack straps by like the third chapter.

Even in the anime, nobody is wearing straps. The packs are just hovering on their back. Clearly some sort of convenient magic :v: