Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

redshirt posted:

So cool. What a wonderful place to be young. Really enjoying your tales. Are you still in touch with any of the folks from those long ago days?

I played Pylon on my show, but never listened to them personally. I'm not sure why.

Yeah, we have a house in Athens but spend a lot of our time on our family farm a few hours away. I grew up on the farm and in the school system around there, but my parents knew the conservative people in that area weren't a good influence for me. So, I spent a lot of time in Athens with friends and other family. And yea, it was a wonderful place to spend my youth. Likewise, I didn't want my 5 kids to grow up around the rednecks, so they go or went to school in Athens.

As far as the old crew, I know my buddy Liam is still in touch with Stipe so I hear things about him, but nothing juicy or really interesting. I was friends with Todd Nance of Widespread Panic, too. Cool guy. He died in Athens about 3 or 4 years ago but the last time I saw him was probably 2015ish.

Now Widespread Panic, lol, those guys were cool as hell. They are almost 10 years older than me, but didn't mind having me around because I was friends with some of the girls they hung with. I remember going to a nearby rock quarry with Todd and John Bell (the singer), and jumping off of what was said to be a 90ft ledge into the nasty water below. I absolutely got a concussion from that and on the way home to Athens, John stopped and bought us all gas station hot dogs. I puked mine up almost immediately. Good times.

Oh, and the Butthole Surfers. Gibby Haynes mowed my uncle's lawn for extra cash while they were recording Locust Abortion Technician and living in a little town near Athens. Gibby was, as you might expect, loving hilarious. I'm sure some of his stranger personality traits had to do with all the acid he did with Timothy Leary.

I was out of the area by the time the Drive-By Truckers started taking off so I didn't know them well, but they were cool too. I traveled a lot and lived in various cities in the mid 90s, but whenever I was back in Athens, I hung out with some of the people that were associated with The Elephant 6 Collective, notably people who worked with Of Montreal.

It's funny to me that I've hung out with all sorts of famous musicians, but I've never been able to play any instrument myself. I sure as poo poo love music, though.

isaboo fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Dec 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
I had a cassette of the green album as a kid in 5th grade and listened to it on my walkman all the time, I also had sir mix alot and dozens of radio derived mix tapes but that rem tape was favorite

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

isaboo posted:

Yeah, we have a house in Athens but spend a lot of our time on our family farm a few hours away. I grew up on the farm and in the school system around there, but my parents knew the conservative people in that area weren't a good influence for me. So, I spent a lot of time in Athens with friends and other family. And yea, it was a wonderful place to spend my youth. Likewise, I didn't want my 5 kids to grow up around the rednecks, so they go or went to school in Athens.

As far as the old crew, I know my buddy Liam is still in touch with Stipe so I hear things about him, but nothing juicy or really interesting. I was friends with Todd Nance of Widespread Panic, too. Cool guy. He died in Athens about 3 or 4 years ago but the last time I saw him was probably 2015ish.

Now Widespread Panic, lol, those guys were cool as hell. They are almost 10 years older than me, but didn't mind having me around because I was friends with some of the girls they hung with. I remember going to a nearby rock quarry with Todd and John Bell (the singer), and jumping off of what was said to be a 90ft ledge into the nasty water below. I absolutely got a concussion from that and on the way home to Athens, John stopped and bought us all gas station hot dogs. I puked mine up almost immediately. Good times.

Oh, and the Butthole Surfers. Gibby Haynes mowed my uncle's lawn for extra cash while they were recording Locust Abortion Technician and living in a little town near Athens. Gibby was, as you might expect, loving hilarious. I'm sure some of his stranger personality traits had to do with all the acid he did with Timothy Leary.

I was out of the area by the time the Drive-By Truckers started taking off so I didn't know them well, but they were cool too. I traveled a lot and lived in various cities in the mid 90s, but whenever I was back in Athens, I hung out with some of the people that were associated with The Elephant 6 Collective, notably people who worked with Of Montreal.

It's funny to me that I've hung out with all sorts of famous musicians, but I've never been able to play any instrument myself. I sure as poo poo love music, though.

Amazing.

You should write a book, either non-fiction, or change all the names and make it fiction.

Les Os
Mar 29, 2010

isaboo posted:

Can you tell an Of Montreal story? Ever meet Jeff Mangum?

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
I was never a big REM fan, but I liked Fables of the Reconstruction/vice-versa. Monster had some good songs on it too.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 20 days!
REM was a band I got into when I was super heavy into punk rock/metal/etc., back in the early 1990s. I had read an interview with Jerry A. of Poison Idea, and they asked him what he was listening to on tour, and he talked about some of the "lighter" bands he was into, because as he put it you can't be raging 24/7; some days you just need something fairly chill that you can put on in the morning as you're making your coffee or whatever, and recovering from a gig or a party the night before. I thought that made perfect sense, and so REM became that kind of band for me: something that's fairly chill, not always super upbeat or poppy (but not bland or inoffensive, either), and with a bit of a morose quality to it at times. This is not to say that REM doesn't have some songs that rock, but they're not like hardcore punk or whatever.

I wouldn't say I have favorite REM albums, but if pressed I'd definitely name Automatic For the People. For some reason that whole album really resonated with me back in the day. Songwise I'd definitely go with Radio Free Europe, Low, and Drive.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
Monster and Eponymous.

The IRS years jangle rock is good, but a lot of it blends together. Eponymous really highlights the best, imo.

Monster shreds.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

500excf type r posted:

I had a cassette of the green album as a kid in 5th grade and listened to it on my walkman all the time, I also had sir mix alot and dozens of radio derived mix tapes but that rem tape was favorite

Just wanted to say, hell yeah brother.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Brrrmph posted:

Monster and Eponymous.

The IRS years jangle rock is good, but a lot of it blends together. Eponymous really highlights the best, imo.

Monster shreds.
This is REM to me. By their big time I was elsewhere.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

They were big time with Green, right? Well before Monster.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Michael Stripe is a bad singer!!!

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 20 days!
Also I should add that Mike Mills is one of my favorite bassists. He always seemed like he was REM's anchor in a lot of ways.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

redshirt posted:

They were big time with Green, right? Well before Monster.
My bad, I glazed over the Monster part. Let me try again.

Eponymous pretty much encapsulates my REM days. If I had to pick one song that “is” REM in my mind it would be Driver 8 . Radio Free Europe a close second.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

My bad, I glazed over the Monster part. Let me try again.

Eponymous pretty much encapsulates my REM days. If I had to pick one song that “is” REM in my mind it would be Driver 8 . Radio Free Europe a close second.

Stone by stone....

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
I have more REM songs that I can hear the music in my head just by thinking about it than any other band. I started listening to them with Automatic and Monster; I was a kid in the 80s so wasn't there for the classics. Then as a teen in the early 90s I didn't have enough angst for the grunge rock everyone else was listening to. I didn't even understand that half of Monster was about Cobain because I lived under a rock, musically. But I loved REM because they were both accessible and weird.

I can't really name my top 2 albums. It's like being asked my top two meals -- depends on my mood and what I've been doing at the time.

But I'm gonna be That Guy and stan for Up, which is consistently my #3. I'd have a hard time saying why. I love the regret and acidic self-reflection that are even in the upbeat songs, let alone something like Sad Professor.

I think I skipped teen angst and went straight to middle-aged angst at age 19.

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

Stand was used for the opening credits of the smash hit show Get A Life starring the hollywood hunk Chris Elliot.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

covidstomper58 posted:

Stand was used for the opening credits of the smash hit show Get A Life starring the hollywood hunk Chris Elliot.

lol oh you just didn't name my favorite show ever!!

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

I've been waiting for someone to buy me the vinyl of Automatic for the People but it's an AR-15 on the cover, for a long time now.

GEEKABALL
May 30, 2011

Throw out your hands!!
Stick out your tush!!
Hands on your hips
Give them a push!!
Fun Shoe
Automatic For The People
Monster
The Bends

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

GEEKABALL posted:

Automatic For The People
Monster
The Bends

I spy something that doth not aply

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Cabin boy is such a good movie, REM should have done the soundtrack

GEEKABALL
May 30, 2011

Throw out your hands!!
Stick out your tush!!
Hands on your hips
Give them a push!!
Fun Shoe

redshirt posted:

I spy something that doth not aply

To my ears The Bends drips with REM influence, especially Monster.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
REM is cool, a lot of my favorite bands ever are heavily influenced by them. If I’m going to listen to REM I’ll go for one of the first three releases (chronictown, murmur, reckoning). The more unintelligible and jangly the better IMO

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Les Os posted:

Can you tell an Of Montreal story? Ever meet Jeff Mangum?

I knew Kevin Barnes a little, and Derek Almstead a bit better. The only stories I can think of are wild parties.

I'm sure I met Jeff Mangum at some point, but I couldn't tell you anything about him. I know Derek was involved with Neutral Milk Hotel a little (and Olivia Tremor Control). I also knew Laura Carter (NMH, Elf Power).

I met most of those folks while working at DialAmerica, a telemarketing firm. If you were a student or musician in Athens, chances are you worked at The Dial at some point. That place was wild, and was basically an incubator for local bands. It was crazy how many people went through there.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

isaboo posted:

Weaver D's of "Automatic For The People" fame is still around, and the food is still good.

This makes me happy to know. I haven’t made it down to Athens in ages and I always wondered if they managed to survive through the pandemic. Best broccoli casserole I ever had was there. I swear it was just broccoli and onion and nothing else, and it was goddamn amazing.

As to the REM question, I like stuff from across all their albums so I don’t know that I could list a top three. Some of my favorite songs of theirs that I think occasionally get overlooked are:

Electrolite
Daysleeper
Bad Day

Electrolite is just gorgeous and I love the piano in it. Daysleeper kind of became an anthem for me when I worked a 12-hour overnight shift.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

To answer my own question, my favorite album is Reckoning.

My favorite song is Pop Song 89, mostly because it's the first song I learned on guitar. It's real basic.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
REM’s one of my favorite bands, but I’m a millennial, so I grew up on their post-IRS years. The run of Automatic through Up is just brilliant, and my hot take is that Reveal is really good too.

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

funerary linens looking like dishrags

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Also I should add that Mike Mills is one of my favorite bassists. He always seemed like he was REM's anchor in a lot of ways.
When I was a kid I thought that Mike Mills was the 'main' REM guy based on a vibe check. Kinda true

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
Death Cab did a nice, straightforward cover of Fall on Me

https://youtu.be/zVxUslrQlQ4?si=scowgaCDNrKLVn8D

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I also like Reveal more than it probably deserves, but what can I say? I was 12 when it came out.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Monster and New Adventures in Hi-Fi were part of the soundtrack to a very interesting time in my life and I love them dearly.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

SulfurMonoxideCute posted:

Monster and New Adventures in Hi-Fi were part of the soundtrack to a very interesting time in my life and I love them dearly.

I love it. If you want to share a song and story, please...

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

Brrrmph posted:

Fall on Me
Best REM song imo. Gets the emotions going. I love the vocal harmonies and it's still pretty jangly but not super muddy.

I feel like Stipe discredits his talents by saying stuff like 'oh, this song is about air pollution' or some poo poo. He's much better than that at his best.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Ten years ago I was a big enough R.E.M. fan that I went to Athens, GA to go to Wuxtry Records and see the sights.

They were really imporant to me back then, but I rarely listen to then now.

Top three?

New Adventures in Hi-Fi
Green
Up

and a bootleg of the show recorded by Swedish public broadcasting in 1998.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmsCf6GpR1E

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

I weirdly think that one of their best songs is Leave. It shouldn’t be as good as it is because the “siren” background, kinda basic structure, and 7 minute runtime but something about it is just super appealing to me.

https://youtu.be/tXj6_-UwkOU

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

Here's a funny stipe quote:

quote:

“I was reading an article in Boston when I was on tour with the Golden Palominos, and Chris Stamey showed me this article about this guy that did an experiment from the Leaning Tower of Pisa, whereby he dropped a pound of feathers and a pound of iron to prove that there was... a difference in the... density? What did he prove? I don’t even know. [A man shouts out from the audience] What? ["They fall just as fast," repeated the disembodied voice] They fall just as fast. Thank you very much.”

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

axolotl farmer posted:

Ten years ago I was a big enough R.E.M. fan that I went to Athens, GA to go to Wuxtry Records and see the sights.

They were really imporant to me back then, but I rarely listen to then now.

Top three?

New Adventures in Hi-Fi
Green
Up

and a bootleg of the show recorded by Swedish public broadcasting in 1998.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmsCf6GpR1E

I'm pretty sure Wuxtry is still there. I haven't been downtown in quite a while though. Bizarro Wuxtry was (is?) upstairs from Wuxtry, and that's where the Devon guy in my REM story worked. They had all kinds of weird kitschy stuff in addition to the comics and records. There were two other record stores downtown that I liked much better than Wuxtry but they are long gone. Blue Sky Coffee was a favorite hangout of Natalie Merchant and I'd see her there occasionally with Stipe.

Every year when the incoming UGA class arrives, the local magazine Flagpole will ask random freshmen Athens trivia and when they get to "Who is Michael Stipe" most of them don't know who he is or will say "is he a politician?" You used to see Flagpole newspapers everywhere downtown but nobody really cares to read it anymore.

Y'all should come to town for Athfest, a 3 day music and art festival held in June that takes over pretty much all of the downtown area. It's free, unless you want to pay to see bands that aren't playing on the main stages outside. There are tons of arts and craft booths to explore, great food, and an area for kids. Elf Power and Pylon have been frequent headliners and they put on good shows.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I think they had a song on Donkey Konga once. It wasn't good, I think it was an annoying radio hit and they sounded whiny as ever on it. I guess whatever that one was from would be my favourite album of theirs assuming OP will kill me if I dont pick one.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Khanstant posted:

I think they had a song on Donkey Konga once. It wasn't good, I think it was an annoying radio hit and they sounded whiny as ever on it. I guess whatever that one was from would be my favourite album of theirs assuming OP will kill me if I dont pick one.

*Unsheathes my katana with a heavy sigh....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

I saw a documentary about R.E.M. recently. All four of them are still friends and hang out once in a while. They just agreed to stop trying to make music together. :unsmith: