Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Every single thing I've listened to in this thread sounds like dogshit to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

SCheeseman posted:

Since 99% of all music is dogshit, logically that percentage would carry over to anything generated from a dataset based on all music.

This is lazy cynicism as a shield. The “akchully everything sucks” thing. Nope lots of things are good. And in music there’s plenty of acts who even if they aren’t getting into any hall of fames are at least serviceable or have something notable about them. This is just an unpleasant listening experience.

Also the logic above shows the issue with trying to generate music from AI. A human who had listened to all music ever might hopefully generate some good taste. An awareness of what cliche is and also an awareness of how to avoid it. An AI just learns more efficiently to cliche.

I get the appeal of it as a shitposting toy but the people going “wow this is like radio ready for the general public” or saying they’re gonna use it to score their next project wtf are you doing lol.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

It’s not more flexible than midi because midi is pure note information so it can trigger anything up to and including physical light rigs. And if you used wav loops maybe the limitations might force you to come up with something actually interesting.

By lazy cynicism I mean “Music is mostly bad anyway” is one of those populist cliches that people will nod along with because it’s not cool to admit you like things. But followed to its conclusion it’s just justifying a race to the bottom-Everything is poo poo anyway so why not make poo poo.

The thing is, if someone posts music for critique I’ll generally try and at least be constructive, because yknow theres a human there and there’s effort and heart that went into that even when it kinda blows. With this though- why even try and be polite? It’s soulless slop and there wasn’t anything put into it. Youre simultaneously sort of backhandedly trying to justify it while also being unable to ignore that you know it’s slop.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

You know I suppose I do have a chip on my shoulder because music is supposed to generate some emotion or discussion and in the absence of this creating anything worth saying about it the best I can muster is the emotion to reject it. In the face of something this creatively dead might as well go full Alex Jones: “This is a human! This is what it looks like!”.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Mar 26, 2024

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I tried to listen to this for the sake of a good roast, made it about 10 seconds in of a robot burping before i switched off.

Jesus I know im old man yelling at clouds here but it reminded me of how back in the day people used to do dramatic readings of posts they hated, or full fledged diss tracks, or even just like jokes? Now we have dead eyed iPad kids so sapped of vital life force chatgpt writes their burns for them

https://voca.ro/1mqKs3zkiboR