Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PaleFigure
Sep 3, 2007

the other white meat
Ladies and gentlemen, uh, we'd already lost the ability to make pictures, but what we've programmed now speaks for itself. The Creative Arts have apparently been taken over, 'conquered' if you will, by a master algorithm of AI generation. It's difficult to tell from this vantage point whether they will leave any artistic medium to us meaty Earthmen or merely use us as model data. One thing is for certain: there is no stopping them; the AI generated arts will soon be here. And I, for one, welcome our new artificial overlords. I'd like to remind them as a member of the internet comedy forum Something Awful, I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their online generator apps.

Ok, so by now we've all heard of those AI-generated images, and the argument around whether any of them is "art", and how actual artists are going to lose their jobs and the Earth is ruined and dogs and cats will be living together, total chaos!

But did you know there's now a way to artificially generate music/song samples via AI?

https://app.suno.ai/

Suno is a free online tool (with subscription-enhanced options) that will generate a music track between 40-80 seconds. You can custom-write your own lyrics or leave it up to the AI to interpret a text description, you can specify a genre/style/vibe or let it surprise you, and if you particularly like a track you can use it as the basis of a new clip which will have the same melody, allowing you to join them together into a full length song.

It was discovered over in the AI Art: It is criminal to not post your prompt thread but frankly deserves a space of its own.

How does it work?
Once you're logged in, head over to the "Create" screen and you'll see a prompt like this:

From here you can just enter a description of a song and hit create. It works best if you use genres or style rather than specific artists, like "hardcore death metal about how good grandmas cookies taste" or "acoustic ballad about how much better the world would be without all those darn Basque" (Disclaimer: Suno may reject your prompt if it feels that it contains unsuitable or inappropriate material. Well gently caress you, Suno, those cookies were awesome!)

Alternatively, you can switch on "Custom Mode" to get a bit more control:

You can then write in your own custom lyrics, just remember that the maximum length of a generated clip is 80 seconds, so don't go too ham. You can always create a "part two" later. Note that there is still a "Generate Lyrics" button but this will be completely random, as you cannot set a theme for the song in this mode.

You said it was free with subscription options, what does that mean?
Using Suno is completely free, and no actual features are locked behind the paywall, you just get limited generations. You get 50 credits a day, and each generation costs 5 credits, so 10 generations a day. This is plenty for a dabbling user. Another important thing to mention is that every generation actually produces 2 separate tracks, so if the first one doesn't quite sound right, you always get a second chance. The cheapest subscription option is $10/month and you get a bonus 2,500 credits (500 generations) when you buy it, so you can jump straight into some serious track production.

What's the legal/copyright/ownership side of the whole thing?
Pretty standard, anything generated while a free user is owned by Suno, anything generated while a paid subscriber owned by the creator. Custom lyrics are always the creator's property even for free users. More info here:
https://suno-ai.notion.site/FAQs-b72601b96de44e5cacd2cd6baa985448

Alright, sounds kinda fun, but do you have any examples of stuff you made in it?
You mean besides the link at the very top of this post? Yes.
Fiery Ovens of Delight
Embracing Differences (Note: This is literally what I got when I put in that prompt above about the Basque. God bless you Suno, trying to cure racism one acoustic ballad at a time!)

What was that part you said earlier about continuing a song, or "part two", or whatever?
Oh yeah, once you've created a track, it will ist in your "Library" screen where you can mark if you like it, dislike it, and get the direct link. Click on the 3 dots for more options:

And select "Continue From This Clip". This will bring you back to the "Custom Mode" of the "Create" screen.

Type in your new lyrics (unfortunately you can't get auto generated ones for this step, if you used the "Make Random Lyrics" button they will be completely random and not follow the theme of your original song.) but leave "Style of Music" blank. You can change the Title if you want, then hit the "Continue" button. It will generate two tracks as normal that should match seamlessly with where the original cut off. It's not always perfect and if the first track cut off partway throug ha word, that definitely seems to confuse it. Once it generates the new tracks, it will label them as "Part 2" and you will have a new option in the menu for that track: "Get Whole Song":

Selecting this will automatically combine both tracks into a new, single one.

That's it, school's out, go make some fun songs and share them here. Feel free to add an AI image as "cover art" if you like too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaleFigure
Sep 3, 2007

the other white meat
Addendum: Additional hints & tips

Here's some styles that Suno recognises and uses in songs
80s
Alternative Rock
Ambient
Acoustic
Aggresive
Atmospheric
Bass
Blues
Boom bap
Bouncy
Catchy
Chill
Chip tune
Comedic
Dark
Dreamy
Dub
Edgy
Electro-Funk
Electronic
Electro
Emotional
Energetic
Epic
Ethereal
Fast
Fast-paced
Funky
Gangsta Rap
Goth
Gothic
Grunge
Hardcore
Hip-hop
Intense
Jazz
Jazzy
K-Pop
Loops
Metal
Metal Guitar Loops
New Age
New Wave
Old school
Peppy
Piano
Playful
Political
Pop
Pop-synth
Power metal
Punk
Psychedelic
Rap
Rap-metal
Rap-rock
Reggae
Relaxed
Retro
R&B
Sarcastic
Synth-pop
Techno
Thrash
Upbeat
Witty
Vapourwave

It also recognises the following tags in the lyrics if you put them in [brackets]
[Fade In]
[Intro]
[Verse]
[Pre-chorus]
[Chorus]
[Bridge]
[Instrumental]
[Outro]
[Fade Out]

PaleFigure
Sep 3, 2007

the other white meat
Last one from me before I let you guys post your masterpieces, just a few sample tracks I've made in Suno.

The Happy Poop Song

Caveman Badass

Hotdog Man

Gay Centurions in New York

Cartoon Animal Girl

The Rotundles Theme Song

PaleFigure
Sep 3, 2007

the other white meat

Grey Cat posted:

This one I did the autogeneration to see how it would do, it's pretty close to being what I wanted.

Strictly speaking, for it to be "upside down" shouldn't it be 5318008?

PaleFigure
Sep 3, 2007

the other white meat

Grey Cat posted:

:moonrio:

I'm going to have to learn to play some of the songs in this thread I feel.
The cover potential is strong.

And this is my biggest argument against the whole "AI takes work away from real artists" angle, because as fun as making these is, they come out too short and rough most of the time. I'd love to get a real musician to remix them properly and tweak timings/lyrics into a proper full-length recording.

PaleFigure
Sep 3, 2007

the other white meat

SCheeseman posted:

Though there is a fair amount of control here if you use it right. Not nearly as much as I want, if this thing could generate stems it would become indispensable in any recording studio. If you could specify key, jesus christ. I'm not confident in saying I made any of those songs exclusively, but I feel I took greater part in it's than I typically might with an AI image generator prompt.

Unfortunately suno.ai is a closed model, hopefully someone trains an equivalent open model so everything runs local and the tooling can iterate faster. As it is they have an incredible generator hamstrung by a really awful frontend.

I'm sure we'll see something like that in time. Look at how quickly the image generators have proliferated and developed. Suno is still very much the new kid on the block (no musical pun intended) so I don't doubt that by this time next year it will have reached, if not surpassed, the point you describe.

Also, just as a side point, has anyone else noticed that it really really likes using the word "ignite" in as many songs as possible, even if it doesn't really fit with the theme?
Shadows of Desolation

PaleFigure fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Dec 29, 2023

PaleFigure
Sep 3, 2007

the other white meat

20 Blunts posted:

i put a chord progression in the description of mine to see if it would do it

so it disregarded the lyrics i put in and gave me like a 40 second solo section
Yes, sometimes, randomly, it will just forget to add the lyrics track and give you an instrumental instead.

Other times, if it finishes the lyrics too early and there's still half the track left, it will either start again from the beginning, or just... start the melody from the beginning but sing in weird Simlish nonsense:
Howlin' With My Roomie

PaleFigure
Sep 3, 2007

the other white meat

KwegiboHB posted:

Is this the AI Music thread now?
Well, I'm certainly not going to stop any serious discussion about the technical, legal or commercial implications of AI in the music industry, but I must confess I lack the background and knowledge to contribute to that myself. I'm the most basic of basic end-users personally. My original plan was for people to post fun, cool or silly songs they made because it's fun and cool and silly to hear them. And on that note:

Code Jockey posted:

thank god another loving ai thread
Another AI Thread

PaleFigure
Sep 3, 2007

the other white meat
How are you guys posting the full size lyric videos now? Suno changed it's "Download Video" method a while back and now instead of taking me to the actual page for it, it downloads immediately. Even "copy download link" just results in a "blob" link, not a regular url.

PaleFigure
Sep 3, 2007

the other white meat
Outstanding.

Now an odd question, just by pure chance do we have any New Zealanders around, or anyone who speaks Te Reo Māori? I tried creating some songs, telling Suno to sing them exclusively in that, and it seems to have done it, but when I try an online translator it either doesn't seem like coherent sentences or is pure word salad, and I'm curious whether that's due to the translator or Suno itself.

So, can anyone give me an accurate translation of these?

Nga Tokorima haere mai

Whakatūpurepure

Ko Au Te Aroha

Tino Ataahua

Waiata o te Kōkōkaha

Whakarewarewa Disco

PaleFigure
Sep 3, 2007

the other white meat

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

I do think it's genuinely interesting that it seems to have totally invented the word 'puhuru'. 'Pūhuruhuru' means 'hairy' and when I Googled 'puhuru maori' I found an AI translation service saying 'puhuru' was 'gorilla' (I have never heard this before, 'gorilla' isn't a word I've ever had to use and my dictionaries don't seem to contain it, but I believe the correct word is makinui, lit "great/big monkey"). The word 'pūhuruhuru' is used in some versions of the All Blacks' Haka, which is probably one of the most widely-distributed pieces of Te Reo Māori available online. The problem is that the line ("puhuru kai koe") ...

Okay so,

either it's trying to say "food without gorillas" or "food without hair in it" and neither makes a huge amount of sense in context but the latter seems more likely? The stanza is: "the sons of the chief will gather/and establish something precious/worked [this is either stewed/fermented or refers to a farm? the grammar is a bit weird] tasty apples/and food without _________"

If I'm being super generous with the translation and trying to get into the AI's head I think it's maybe trying to say "pure/clean food" and is getting a wire crossed and landed on 'hairy' for 'unclean'. Losing the accent is frustrating but super common (human editors from outside NZ do it all the time), but entirely chopping off a syllable is new to me and I'm curious about how it happened.

I also found it interesting that it pulled the word 'kahurangi' for 'something precious/treasured' because it literally means 'blue' but like ... that's a correct colloquial use of it. Like Whāia te iti kahurangi ki te tūohu koe me he maunga teitei is literally 'chase blue [things] and kneel only for mountains' but 'blue' here is more like 'that which is most important to you/that which your heart desires'. The AI seems to have got that correct; the sons of the chief will gather to establish blue.
Thank you, that's an excellent glimpse into the limitations Suno has when working in other languages. I had a sense that direct word translations would be ok but differing sentence structures would be where it got mixed up.

sebmojo posted:

e: apparently it's 6/10, mostly ok but with a few english sentence structures, misunderstandings and incomprehensible bits. they made the fair point that it shouldn't be used publicly as the language is viewed as a taonga and the usual ropey AI data collection practices would mean it's disrespectful to do so.
Duly noted and while I had no intention of publicly releasing these, I will now specifically make sure I don't, for that reason.

PaleFigure
Sep 3, 2007

the other white meat

Diet Poison posted:

I don't see a way to delete anything from your library, am I just missing something? I already got a bunch of flubs and inferior second versions of songs I don't need.
Apparently it's a "coming soon" feature, and I'm eagerly anticipating it for the same reason.

PaleFigure
Sep 3, 2007

the other white meat

Brown Moses posted:

There's some additions that help with song generation. You can now choose to generate a song as just an instrumental and rename songs. The best new addition is that you can now continue a track from which ever point you choose, so you can trim off the bits where it sounds crap or endlessly repeats the same phrase for a minute. The initial generated clip is now 2 minutes long instead of 1:20.

This is the best news I've heard in a while, and solves the majority of the issues I've had with song generation up to now. Looks like I'll have to go back to it this weekend and revisit some projects I left on the back burner ages ago.

PaleFigure
Sep 3, 2007

the other white meat

massive spider posted:

piss piss whine whine
Mate, I started this thread so people could have some fun making and sharing silly songs with a cool toy, and you're kind of yucking our yum over here.

So, with that in mind, could I possibly ask you to gently caress off, you insufferable sack of misery?

Anyway, in other news, did you guys know that there isn't an actual separate species of animal called a "black panther"? They're just leopards with a genetic chromatic aberration, kind of like a reverse-albino. Heh, makes you wonder what they'd think if they were capable of understanding that concept.

I think it would go a little something like this!

PaleFigure
Sep 3, 2007

the other white meat
Like most of you, I've been pretty much addicted to playing with Udio over the last week or so.

I'm not at the point where I'm jumping ship from Suno just yet, primarily because I still have a few projects in the works over there. One of them is looking to require external editing though, unless Suno releases some more robust editing tools like the ability to splice and stitch two separate tracks together.

My favourite thing about Udio is its extension function, which I think blows Suno's out of the water. I love being able to specify the creation of an intro or outro, and while 0:33 is a good length for each new segment, I actually wish the initial track from a new prompt would default to (or at least offer the choice of) a double-length track of 1:06 which you can then add on to.

Nevertheless, I've had fun making a few things in it, like a werewolf rap:
https://www.udio.com/songs/2aJssVwzP8QmFpFvMirDXX

A children's cartoon theme about fat gnomes on sky islands, a la Danny Elfman:
https://www.udio.com/songs/2K1rGu49ctnRR3UFZfPKVk

And a Gilbert & Sullivan-esque operetta about Theseus and Asterion (The Minotaur) finding love (WIP):
https://www.udio.com/songs/kRtDbdBEa2e6tSLXYinfyx

(side note: Thanks mods for thread title update!)

PaleFigure
Sep 3, 2007

the other white meat
Just spent 3 hours working on a track and then accidentally deleted the version of it I liked. :(

For all the improvements Udio has over Suno, I wish they'd implement a recoverable "recycle bin" instead of a permanent "delete track" button.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaleFigure
Sep 3, 2007

the other white meat
Back when I first started playing with Suno, I began three particular tracks that I really liked and wanted to seriously work on. One will require external editing because it consists of multiple existing tracks that Suno currently offers no means to stitch together, but I've managed to get the other two to a state I consider "finished", and am (mostly) happy with:

Squirrel Tape Love
https://suno.com/song/b5c1a15e-b077-4adb-b0da-90be3ee160b3

Hotdog Man
https://suno.com/song/19555ad0-5477-4f20-b509-51359c53eacb

Then when I heard about Udio I was curious to learn how it differed to Suno, so I tried a few prompts I'd already used in the latter to compare the results. Where Suno excels in 80's Emo ballads, Udio slays with smooth jazz beat poems.

A savage werewolf taunts its prey before devouring them.
Suno: https://suno.com/song/b7e61bdb-103a-4da8-bdab-632c3fa91cc0
Udio: https://www.udio.com/songs/8shG4A8Qv8tQcSAUSg3dtz

A retelling of the Minotaur legend, where Theseus is not the beast's end, but the beginning of a new love.
Suno: https://suno.com/song/59bd1170-9316-4da6-8bde-402871f0acbf
Udio: https://www.udio.com/songs/qc1KyCjGjcR1eqtTS1pnf1

Then I just started experimenting in Udio more, getting some cool varied styles. Hair metal Orcish warband marching anthem? Got you covered:
https://www.udio.com/songs/jXK8ts99gH4WsnMW5Zhp3Q

Coming soon to a Ren Faire near you, a folk ballad about how to tell the difference between a Satyr and a Faun:
https://www.udio.com/songs/i3vtxZarLHZJVkSzH3r76r

Sometimes Udio lets its "inspiration" shine through too much, like this little number that is way too close to "Hometown" by Joe Romersa, from the Silent Hill 3 soundtrack (and more well known for using the SH1 theme). From the singers voice to the slight jank of the vocals as if they've been imperfectly translated from the original Japanese:
https://www.udio.com/songs/mYrCBBpe19Mv8QCJcECgHr

And then this monstrosity that I spent way too much time on out of pure stubborn spite. The biggest joke about it is that Udio produced it from a prompt asking for "children's music":
https://www.udio.com/songs/pMqvTqpUo3MXKWkjiuQYp8