Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

sebmojo posted:

I'm a kiwi but I have only standard osmotic pakeha levels of te Reo, I'll ask some friends. On a glance it looks roughly right?

e: apparently it's 6/10, mostly ok but with a few english sentence structures, misunderstandings and incomprehensible bits. they made the fair point that it shouldn't be used publicly as the language is viewed as a taonga and the usual ropey AI data collection practices would mean it's disrespectful to do so.
I do think it's genuinely interesting that it seems to have totally invented the word 'puhuru'. 'Pūhuruhuru' means 'hairy' and when I Googled 'puhuru maori' I found an AI translation service saying 'puhuru' was 'gorilla' (I have never heard this before, 'gorilla' isn't a word I've ever had to use and my dictionaries don't seem to contain it, but I believe the correct word is makinui, lit "great/big monkey"). The word 'pūhuruhuru' is used in some versions of the All Blacks' Haka, which is probably one of the most widely-distributed pieces of Te Reo Māori available online. The problem is that the line ("puhuru kai koe") ...

Okay so,

either it's trying to say "food without gorillas" or "food without hair in it" and neither makes a huge amount of sense in context but the latter seems more likely? The stanza is: "the sons of the chief will gather/and establish something precious/worked [this is either stewed/fermented or refers to a farm? the grammar is a bit weird] tasty apples/and food without _________"

If I'm being super generous with the translation and trying to get into the AI's head I think it's maybe trying to say "pure/clean food" and is getting a wire crossed and landed on 'hairy' for 'unclean'. Losing the accent is frustrating but super common (human editors from outside NZ do it all the time), but entirely chopping off a syllable is new to me and I'm curious about how it happened.

I also found it interesting that it pulled the word 'kahurangi' for 'something precious/treasured' because it literally means 'blue' but like ... that's a correct colloquial use of it. Like Whāia te iti kahurangi ki te tūohu koe me he maunga teitei is literally 'chase blue [things] and kneel only for mountains' but 'blue' here is more like 'that which is most important to you/that which your heart desires'. The AI seems to have got that correct; the sons of the chief will gather to establish blue.

SurreptitiousMuffin fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jan 12, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU