Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
This is a fun little toy, and I'm proud people are using it for its ideal purpose: shitposting and making dumb songs.

The only thing I'm worried about is if people start using things like this and just trying to generate songs over and over, wasting a lot of their time in a vain bid to shortcut making "real music" when they could use that time to learn basic foundations of how music works and download some free sample packs.

It is both sad and funny when I see people trying to sell these generated songs as actual music tho. No one is buying it for the quality, and also why would they pay for it when they could just make their own?

I'm gonna play around later and see if I can get *something* to work with, but the lack of direction and options are immediately a little frustrating. Worst case I make shidding fards songs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
The problem is if you generate a song with lyrics, and then claim you have copywrited song lyrics but you're pointing to something that legally doesn't give you that ownership or protection then the claim that you "own the lyrics" goes out the window.

Basically don't use things like this for any IP you actually care about.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I mean suno doesn't provide any more protection than the most basic, innate copyright protection does anyway.

I'm just saying if you go to court to protect your AI song against someone else's AI song it might just get a big "who loving cares".

Basically they don't offer anything, because US copyright in particular allows copyright from creation. So just writing those lyrics gives you protection, Suno doesn't give you it.

Edit: I don't suspect for a minute anyone but an AI obsessed techbro would try to defend their generated songs in a court for record, but I think it'd be very interesting and funny for them to try.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Yeah so I stand by my original stance of don't use any IP you actually really care about lol

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

KwegiboHB posted:

You rang?

I think it should have been bigger news that literally billions of melodies have been released into the public domain and anyone can use them for free, forever.

https://www.openculture.com/2020/03/every-melody-has-been-copyrighted-and-theyre-now-released-into-the-public-domain.html

I'm aware if that project yeah, but given that there was a high profile case with Ed Sheeran (altho granted it was more for rhytmic similarity) and this didn't come up at all I'm gonna hang a guess on "no one in the legal world thinks it is worth placing your case on."

I dunno, it's cute, but this isn't something where I'd go "oh they said it's fine, no worries then." And I'm not arguing whether the model is using copyright material or not, that's not really my issue. I'm more pointing out that good luck defending anything generated with these tools much like trying to defend your AI art. I don't mind AI stuff at all tbh, but it'd be foolish to expect the same liberties and protections and non-AI material.