Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KwegiboHB
Feb 2, 2004

nonconformist art brut
Negative prompt: amenable, compliant, docile, law-abiding, lawful, legal, legitimate, obedient, orderly, submissive, tractable
Steps: 32, Sampler: DPM++ 2M Karras, CFG scale: 11, Seed: 520244594, Size: 512x512, Model hash: 99fd5c4b6f, Model: seekArtMEGA_mega20

syntaxfunction posted:

I mean suno doesn't provide any more protection than the most basic, innate copyright protection does anyway.

I'm just saying if you go to court to protect your AI song against someone else's AI song it might just get a big "who loving cares".

Basically they don't offer anything, because US copyright in particular allows copyright from creation. So just writing those lyrics gives you protection, Suno doesn't give you it.

Edit: I don't suspect for a minute anyone but an AI obsessed techbro would try to defend their generated songs in a court for record, but I think it'd be very interesting and funny for them to try.

You rang?

I think it should have been bigger news that literally billions of melodies have been released into the public domain and anyone can use them for free, forever.

https://www.openculture.com/2020/03/every-melody-has-been-copyrighted-and-theyre-now-released-into-the-public-domain.html

I don't personally know what Suno used to train their model on, I just know that you don't need copyrighted material to train one of these models as there are premade free creative commons datasets already out there.

Is this the AI Music thread now? I just looked and it seems that https://www.riffusion.com/ also now has lyrical capabilities, though with only a 25 word limit.

Riffusion got its start by taking Spectrogram pictures of the waveform itself and training a Stable Diffusion style Image Model to produce more Spectrograms to be converted back into sound files.
This means for every lyric prompt you give it, there are at least 2.14 billion "songs" to be made, with a potential of much more if you go past 32 bit seed values.
These are still early days for AI and things are only going to improve from here, fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KwegiboHB
Feb 2, 2004

nonconformist art brut
Negative prompt: amenable, compliant, docile, law-abiding, lawful, legal, legitimate, obedient, orderly, submissive, tractable
Steps: 32, Sampler: DPM++ 2M Karras, CFG scale: 11, Seed: 520244594, Size: 512x512, Model hash: 99fd5c4b6f, Model: seekArtMEGA_mega20

syntaxfunction posted:

I'm aware if that project yeah, but given that there was a high profile case with Ed Sheeran (altho granted it was more for rhytmic similarity) and this didn't come up at all I'm gonna hang a guess on "no one in the legal world thinks it is worth placing your case on."

I dunno, it's cute, but this isn't something where I'd go "oh they said it's fine, no worries then." And I'm not arguing whether the model is using copyright material or not, that's not really my issue. I'm more pointing out that good luck defending anything generated with these tools much like trying to defend your AI art. I don't mind AI stuff at all tbh, but it'd be foolish to expect the same liberties and protections and non-AI material.

I don't know how things will end up. The US copyright office has issued a "Human Authorship Requirement" for AI generated material only partially covering the Human generated parts but there's a possibility that it doesn't actually hold up in court. No one has taken things that far to test it yet.
It's worth pointing out that you don't actually need copyright to sell something, only to protect your work if someone else sells something you've created. Anyone can freely sell things from the public domain.
I just read Sunos terms and if you have a paid subscription then whatever you make is yours to do as you please, including sell it or use in some commercial project. I don't see anything out of the ordinary here. If someone took you to court over this it would be the same as any other commercial project and would be a case by case... case, heh.