Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

I didn't find anything behind the motherboard and the only pins I might have plugged in incorrectly is the actual power switch because I its not very clear if the arrow goes where the plus sign is located or if its the other way. But since I am getting some response I assume its right.

The power switch literally just shorts out the power pin to ground; I think it can go either way and still work. This is why you can turn on a PC with a screwdriver.

Though thinking about this, you've made sure you plugged in the ATX power (ATXPWR on the mobo readout, the 24-pin connector) as well as the CPU power (the 8-pin and 4-pin) fully, right? As well as the two power connectors for the 6700XT? It's easy to not have those quite inserted all the way, especially the GPU power ones.

quote:

I changed out the RAM and still nothing changed so I'll try to make sure this is correct. For this motherboard does it matter which slot the one stick of RAM I am testing with is in? The manual is rather vague and I am not that savvy about RAM configurations

Unless the motherboard documentation is schlock (and my own ASRock board had very clearly labeled memory configurations down to single-stick), it should have an explicit entry for single-channel configurations.

Fake edit: and it turns out the documentation is indeed schlock about this. Super. Thanks ASRock. :geno: Based on my board that uses the same guidance, insert the single module into slot B2 (the one furthest from the CPU and closest to the board's ATXPWR connector). A2 is also worth a shot (and won't damage the RAM) but I'd expect B2 to work best.

quote:

Could it also be that the bios needs to be updated? It says it has the feature to do this via USB directly

Possibly? The Z690 PG4 should ship with BIOS that will support a 12600KF out of the box, but it's worth a shot. The full instructions for doing this without powering on the system are on page 24 of the manual (and are hilariously convoluted).

quote:

EDIT: I found that there was a mounting spacer in a spot that the new motherboard didn't have a screw hole for so maybe it was shorting. I have moved it to where one of the new motherboard holes is so that all the mounting holes will have a screw now

I'm guessing that still didn't quite fix things.

To double check a few basic build things: you're certain the CPU was inserted the right way? You're certain the LGA socket had no bent pins? You're certain the GPU is fully seated in its slot? Probably a pain in the rear end to check CPU stuff now, I know, but if the 3200mhz RAM didn't let it POST, it's time to go down the entire checklist.

SpaceDrake fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Dec 31, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

EDIT 2: I flashed the bios successfully from what I can tell to the most recent version but nothing changed.

As far as I can tell the GPU is seated completely. Though I tried booting it with the GPU in and out and both resulted in the same thing. The result has not changed at all with all the different attempts made to fix.

Unless I have the GPU in the wrong PCIE slot somehow. There are 2 and I have only been using the one closest to CPU this whole time.

EDIT 3: I also just realized that I am using the same PSU cables for my SATA drives from the old PSU instead of the provided ones. Could that mean anything? I’m not around to test this out right now. I’ll try to test it tomorrow.

So, yes, one of the things that made the 12600KF a better deal is that it does not have an integrated GPU, which is normally fine but gets annoying in cases like this where you need to rule out specific parts being an issue and you don't have another part to swap in.

That is a thought, though: if you don't mind getting further into the weeds, your previous desktop PC has a functioning GPU, right? You could try plugging that in to see if it boots and you get a signal out.

Also, yes, always use the cables provided with the power supply exclusively, unless you know the PSU cables are pin-compatible. PSU cables use standardized pins... on the motherboard side. On the PSU side, it remains pure chaos, even within the same manufacturer. Always use the included cabling exclusively. The PSU you have should have all the cables you need for the PC. EDIT: The build I specced out originally does have a thing at the bottom of the page to checklist everything that needs plugging in.

SpaceDrake fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Dec 31, 2023

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

If these attempts don't amount to anything then I'm probably going to return the MOBO and maybe the CPU, and either get a new MOBO or a replacement

It's possible you just got a bum CPU or motherboard, yeah. It's rare, but it does happen.

I'm sorry this has been a bit of a nightmare. :(

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

The wrong PSU cables to my hard drives was the culprit. Everything is booting up fine and I can see the bios. Of course it was my own laziness.

It's a really easy trap to fall into, because of course everything should be standardized, right? :v: (At least you didn't try doing a swap of any of the cables for the 12V rails, because that's a nice easy way to toast a motherboard, as just happened the other day...)

Anyway, I'm glad things are working now! I'll admit I'd be curious to hear whether the original RAM kit I suggested functions, too (going by the full spec sheet, it should, even though it wasn't specifically QVL'd, and that's why I suggested it originally) but I'd also understand if you don't want to take any risks at this point.

Anyway, hope the new Windows install goes well and the system operates to expectations!

SpaceDrake fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jan 1, 2024