Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Antiquated Pants posted:

I host an annual bad-movie competition for my friends. I might have to research a few of these as possible entries...

My favorite bad movie that I love to hit people with a DESPISER. Randomly found it at a Blockbuster way back when, and it took me years to track down a physical copy!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEcgGEExCL8

its cool they got the same animators as xavier the renegade angel and also got xavier to do the voiceover

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Shard posted:

Wasn't the invisible man being a rapist just the plot to Hollow Man

The League comic's Invisible Man set up shop in a boarding school specifically to rape teenage girls while pretending to be the Holy Spirit. He went a little above and beyond Hollow Man's version.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
The league's invisible man was an absolutely amoral sociopath, which does seem like it could be an extension of Hollow Man's premise of "not having to look at yourself in the mirror" kind of leading to a dissolution of identity and accountability leaving only base impulses, etc (but I think I remember Hollow Man suggested the invisibility formula did something melty to his mind, too)

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Nthing BASEketball. I saw that movie in theatres: my Dad took me to see it when I was in like seventh grade. I don't think Mom appreciated that or how it informed my sense of humour. Also, a kitchen I worked in had a poster of Victoria Silvstedt (Playmate of the Year) on the wall. EDIT: I have also Steve Perry'd many friends in games of darts and pool.

In a similar vein, I like a few Pauly Shore vehicles, most notably Bio-Dome. This one is weird, I cannot watch it with anyone else except my best buddy in the world who I've known since cribs and strollers. On my own or with anyone else I can't even make it through those painfully 90s opening credits, but dude and I have probably seen it dozens of times together.

Shooter with Mark Wahlberg is one of the earliest-added movies in my Plex library. It came out in '07 so it was definitely when I was still a bit of a CHUD. It's still sort of a guilty pleasure, only in part on account of Mark Wahlberg.

I liked Red Dragon a lot more than Silence of the Lambs. It was a decent adaptation of the book IMO, but I think it was kind of panned critically? I feel weird watching it, Norton feels phoned-in but Fiennes is legitimately scary in his role.

Boondock Saints, Equilibrium, and Swordfish. I don't think I need to elaborate on these.

Mister Speaker has a new favorite as of 05:04 on Mar 14, 2024

oxyrosis
Aug 4, 2006
Scars are tattoos with better stories.

Mister Speaker posted:

I like a few Pauly Shore vehicles

I agree, Son-In-Law is one of my most treasured Thanksgiving movies.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

oxyrosis posted:

I think I remember Pauly shore saying how much he hated that movie in an interview, but I grew up watching that, and I know it sounds stupid but that movie actually changed my perception of college and how I could get away from my little town. That I didn't necessarily have to marry some dude why I went to high school. With that I could actually get out and learn some interesting things and interesting people. Not most of that was squashed by the time I got to high school and kind of fell into the anxious mess of clicks, but I honestly think the message of the movie is pretty good.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Dreamcatcher is a movie that people really hate but I absolutely love! Everything about it is just such a perfect storm of bad that it wraps around to being hilarious. Bizarre acting choices, calling the aliens 'poo poo weasels', Morgan Freeman clearly not giving a poo poo; it's all so, so good.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Chip McFuck posted:

Dreamcatcher is a movie that people really hate but I absolutely love! Everything about it is just such a perfect storm of bad that it wraps around to being hilarious. Bizarre acting choices, calling the aliens 'poo poo weasels', Morgan Freeman clearly not giving a poo poo; it's all so, so good.

I saw this in theaters as a teen and the entire audience was cracking up.

I'm gonna nominate the Final Destination franchise, which my partner and I have been bingeing this week. Sometime around the middle of the second movie they just drop all the pretenses and stop pretending it's about anything other than elaborate teen-killing Rube Goldberg machines. The opening/closing credits of the fourth movie are a literal slide show of all the silly deaths in the franchise. It's loving hilarious and the wooden dialog and garbage performances really elevate things to the upper rung of the "so bad it's good" ladder. The fact that every movie is a beat-by-beat copy of the first script is just icing on the cake.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Modal Auxiliary posted:

I saw this in theaters as a teen and the entire audience was cracking up.

I'm gonna nominate the Final Destination franchise, which my partner and I have been bingeing this week. Sometime around the middle of the second movie they just drop all the pretenses and stop pretending it's about anything other than elaborate teen-killing Rube Goldberg machines. The opening/closing credits of the fourth movie are a literal slide show of all the silly deaths in the franchise. It's loving hilarious and the wooden dialog and garbage performances really elevate things to the upper rung of the "so bad it's good" ladder. The fact that every movie is a beat-by-beat copy of the first script is just icing on the cake.

People love final destination though. I love the final destination movies.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I spent some formative years of my childhood in northern BC and I always felt like FD2 did the world a service by instilling a very healthy respect for/fear of logging trucks

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

hallo spacedog posted:

People love final destination though. I love the final destination movies.

The critics definitely didn't, the fifth movie was the only one to break 60% on Rotten Tomatoes. Point taken though.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Modal Auxiliary posted:

The critics definitely didn't, the fifth movie was the only one to break 60% on Rotten Tomatoes. Point taken though.

That's fair, I know among myself and other horror movie people I know they are continually popular though.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

oxyrosis posted:

Just remembered, my first exposure to Pauly Shore was this movie, probably a bit too young. I think my folks went out to rent some tapes and I asked for "The Sandlot" and they heard "Son-In Law."

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Yeah, I also have fond memories of Son in Law.

Someone brought a copy to a class where the teacher quit caring what we did. There was a sub that day and I guess since there were really no other lesson plans, the movie went on ... until it got to the lesbian kiss. The sub turned it off - this wsa 1999 and n the rural south - but when the regular teacher came back in, we played the whole thing, kiss and all.

Also saw Danny DeVito in Renaissance Man in that class and have fond memories of it for the same reason.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

teen witch posted:

Nightbreed is criminally underrated and I drat near cried at the end of it, I genuinely think if it was released now it’d be a mainstream queer classic

Around 2000 I bought a book I now kick myself for giving away, a history of and interviews with influential special effects artists. I can’t remember his name but the guy that worked on Nightbreed spoke of his frustration how the film was advertised like any other stalker/slasher movie instead of being open about the monsters being the heroic characters. It was supposed to be a trilogy but the studio tanked it.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Yeah, I also have fond memories of Son in Law.

Someone brought a copy to a class where the teacher quit caring what we did. There was a sub that day and I guess since there were really no other lesson plans, the movie went on ... until it got to the lesbian kiss. The sub turned it off - this wsa 1999 and n the rural south - but when the regular teacher came back in, we played the whole thing, kiss and all.

Also saw Danny DeVito in Renaissance Man in that class and have fond memories of it for the same reason.

mods please change my name to DANNY DEVITO’S LESBIAN KISS

son in law and encino man are fine films. there i said it

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Phy posted:

I spent some formative years of my childhood in northern BC and I always felt like FD2 did the world a service by instilling a very healthy respect for/fear of logging trucks

Yeah, probably one of the few times horror movies have given people a healthy respect for/fear of something that they should. First one also has someone slipping in the shower, death design or not, slipping in the shower, that's like one of the few times someones been killed in a horror movie by a way that it's actually really common for people to die (although normally slipping and hitting head or hip -big killer in the elder- usually not by accidentally hanging).

Don't piss off death/be safe in your showers y'all!!!

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

dr_rat posted:

Yeah, probably one of the few times horror movies have given people a healthy respect for/fear of something that they should. First one also has someone slipping in the shower, death design or not, slipping in the shower, that's like one of the few times someones been killed in a horror movie by a way that it's actually really common for people to die (although normally slipping and hitting head or hip -big killer in the elder- usually not by accidentally hanging).

Don't piss off death/be safe in your showers y'all!!!

There's a healthy combination of splashy and ridiculous deaths and reasonable deaths in those movies

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
That loving kid who went out of his way to scare a bunch of pigeons had it coming.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

i haven’t seen it since it was in theaters but The Village was honestly mostly fine? i knew the twist basically from the first ten minutes because it was a ripoff of some children’s book i read a summary of in a Scholastic book order catalog

idk, the cinematography seemed pretty rad and knowing the twist made a lot of little things jump out more

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Schubalts posted:

That loving kid who went out of his way to scare a bunch of pigeons had it coming.
Now I want to watch them all again

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Rockman Reserve posted:

i haven’t seen it since it was in theaters but The Village was honestly mostly fine? i knew the twist basically from the first ten minutes because it was a ripoff of some children’s book i read a summary of in a Scholastic book order catalog

idk, the cinematography seemed pretty rad and knowing the twist made a lot of little things jump out more

M. Night makes a lot of good-looking bad movies. Lady in the Water is probably the best example, imo.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
if lady in the water is bad why is Paul Giamatti there

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Ominous Jazz posted:

if amazing spider-man 2 is bad why is Paul Giamatti there

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Ominous Jazz posted:

if big fat liar is bad why is Paul Giamatti there

We can do this all day

Edit: this is how I learned that Paul Giamatti was in a 2002 film with Rupert Grint called Thunderpants that has the following description:

"Patrick Smash is a young lad with an embarrassing problem: powerful, uncontrollable flatulence. Luckily his best friend not only has no sense of smell but is a genius who works out how to harness Patrick's power, first to win an unpowered flight competition and eventually to help NASA in a rescue mission to a failing space station."

hallo spacedog has a new favorite as of 17:46 on Mar 15, 2024

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Ominous Jazz posted:

if lady in the water is bad why is Paul Giamatti there

He needed a paycheck.

Lady in the Water is interesting only because of M. Night's huge ego. He plays an author who will publish a work so profound and deep that he will lead humanity into a new age of peace.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I feel like if a plan includes the step "now everyone reads this book" then the plan is gonna fail.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Chip McFuck posted:

He needed a paycheck.

Lady in the Water is interesting only because of M. Night's huge ego. He plays an author who will publish a work so profound and deep that he will lead humanity into a new age of peace.

Hands down the biggest lol of the film for me, with any shot featuring the asymmetric bodybuilder in a close second.

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Despair brings the puttyknife down.
What is the weirdest Paul Giammati movie?

If i'm being edgy, I guess i'd say Cosmopolis because his scene in the movie is basically like he was going to get dinner somewhere and they asked him to come make Robert Pattinson look sadder than normal before his Whopper got cold.

If i'm being serious, i'd probably say Shoot em Up because he seemed like he was really trying when everyone else was just there to be weird.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

PuttyKnife posted:

If i'm being serious, i'd probably say Shoot em Up because he seemed like he was really trying when everyone else was just there to be weird.

Thank you! I was trying to remember the name of this movie but Giamatti's filmography is like 80 pages long. God what a bizarre mess of a film.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
Shoot Em Up is great;
source: i was fifteen when it came out

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

PuttyKnife posted:

Thanks to the Howard Stern movie, I still think of him as "Pig Vomit" whenever he pops up. Just happened last night when I saw him in My Best Friend's Wedding and he was on as some kind of wise fairy godmother hotel guy, and I'm like "hey that's Pig Vomit!"

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Ominous Jazz posted:

Shoot Em Up is great;
source: i was fifteen when it came out

Shoot em up is great.

Source: I'm always right

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

PuttyKnife posted:

Last episode of season 2 of 30 Coins.

30 Coins doesn't belong in this thread, but it does get incredibly weird.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I don't know if people think it's bad but I really like Shoot Em Up and how it is wearing its feelings on its sleeves to just being a live action loony tunes action film.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I mean it's not a "good" movie but it's definitely intentionally stupid. I laughed at it a ton

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
He punches a carrot through a guy's skull at the beginning. That should tell you a lot about the movie. So, it's always been weird to me that people didn't like it. Ah well.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Another bad movie I love is Dagon of all the b movie adaptations of Lovecraft it's the most competent I think. Nothing bad about it in my book other than it's cheap but that's part of its charm

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Despair brings the puttyknife down.

Shard posted:

Another bad movie I love is Dagon of all the b movie adaptations of Lovecraft it's the most competent I think. Nothing bad about it in my book other than it's cheap but that's part of its charm

Really enjoyed Dagon though sometimes I think Ghostbusters is the best Lovecraft movie though it’s more about how a Call of Cthulhu campaign usually goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

PuttyKnife posted:

Really enjoyed Dagon though sometimes I think Ghostbusters is the best Lovecraft movie though it’s more about how a Call of Cthulhu campaign usually goes.

that's the only way you should do cosmic horror in my opinion. The goal should never be defeating them, it should be making sure the gate closes. Mass Effect would have been way better if we never dealt with the reapers again after ME1. Also Hellboy does this ending well.