Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

The Eyes Have It posted:

The Nicolas Cage film Next has really poor ratings but I really enjoyed it. It's about a gambler who has the ability to see the future, but only like two minutes at a time. It goes in unexpected directions.

The movie genuinely put work into seriously asking "what if?" Also it wasn't predictable (and not in a "because lolrandom" way) which I always enjoy. I liked it :shrug:

I was coming here to post this. It is not a good movie by any stretch of the imagination. And I hate the "twist". But I love the overall concept.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

teen witch posted:

Good god was your sister made of steel? We read the book and watched the movie once in our fifth grade class and both book and movie turned into a room of children weeping.

I read it in the 4th grade, and I think it was for class. It absolutely broke me as a kid, and even now, in my 40s I can still recall being devastated. The sequel Summer of the Monkeys was much more light hearted.

Also, as a lark I decided to look it up on amazon, and it showed up on a list of Frequently Purchased Together along with Old Yeller and Bridge to Terabithia in some demented Childhood Trauma pack. Throw in Shiloh for good measure.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

teen witch posted:

Just finished 1990s The Rookie, which is probably someone’s favorite but absolutely not mine. First Eastwood movie and perhaps another three decades until I watch another one. Maybe I’ll watch the monkey ones, I don’t know. Are there a cornucopia of slurs in the monkey movies?

Anyway I’m here to talk about Raúl Julia, who was the villain and finely dining on the scenery in parts. Christ what an actor, the versatility!

I might check out Tequila Sunrise even though Mel Gibson. I love Overdrawn at the Memory Bank, wish he did more PBS sci-fi, also wish there was more PBS sci-fi, what a weird concept.

Slurs in a Clint Eastwood movie? Yeah, almost definitely. While the monkey movies are comedies, they are comedies from the 70s featuring Eastwood, so yeah, offensive language is almost guaranteed and also IIRC there are some rapey overtones. Maybe Cline Eastwood is not the star you want to follow.

As for Julia, yeah he's something else. Isn't he playing a German in The Rookie?