Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which season of Doctor Who should get a Blu-ray set next?
This poll is closed.
One of the black-and-white seasons 16 29.63%
Season 7 7 12.96%
Season 11 1 1.85%
Season 13 0 0%
Season 15 2 3.70%
The Key to Time 21 38.89%
Season 21 0 0%
Season 25 7 12.96%
Total: 54 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Warthur posted:

Got to The Caretaker in my watchthrough. I appreciate the attempt to examine the tension between anti-militarism and not being a prejudiced rear end in a top hat towards people who may have been in the military in the past but aren't necessarily onboard with that now... but at the same time, I struggle to blame the Doctor for constantly reducing Danny to "ex-soldier" when he has exactly three personality traits, "ex-soldier", "dates Clara", and "teaches maths", and all the narrative weight is resting on the first two. (The fact that Danny uses military-based analogies to explain why he bristles at the Doctor particularly emphasises this; if you want to show that his mindset and outlook and ideology are not solely shaped by his stint in the military, maybe show that his mental horizons are broader than that, you know?)

Danny was awful, Clara was bad enough already by that season and then they just added Danny in to drag her down further. His ending is also rubbish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

SirSamVimes posted:

A friend of mine said there's a rumour that Moffat wrote an episode where the Doctor steps on a landmine and can't move from it or it explodes, and then after hearing about that there was a shot in the trailer that looked like the Doctor stepping on a landmine...

Isn't that just the opening of the Davros episode he wrote? Moffat doesn't seem the type to reuse an idea.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

The bad news is that the pattern will repeat endlessly, and once RTD2 ends we will begin MoffaTwo in vain.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Autisanal Cheese posted:

wow, gently caress Jenna Coleman then

Jenna Coleman somehow managed to be in the unique position of having single season contracts, so every season was her last whilst she played hardball over the money.

Can't really blame her, but she probably stayed on one too many seasons and missed her shot at a Nebula level role.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Open Source Idiom posted:

I'm with Ofaloaf, in that Clara never felt particularly accessible as a character from the off. Add in the shifting background elements (the recast dad, whatever was going on with her grandma, the jobs) and the lack of insight into that background, and she never felt believable to me. I don't buy her as being the lead character of the show, definitely not with Matt Smith. I think she was just an amorphous blob that eventually settled into something during the 12th Doctor's era... but I was put off by him and all so it was just very distant.

Better than the characterization that immediately followed Moffat, though.

Moffat is just awful at writing believable human beings with a consistent life. That works for The Doctor, and somewhat for River, who are meant to be larger than life, but it utterly falls apart when Clara is running around making Christmas dinner or working on her 3rd job or dating Danny Pink.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Edward Mass posted:

I don't think anyone said anything about the private collector with two missing Doctor Who episodes reluctant to reveal their identity for fear of prosecution, but I guess it's something to discuss.

It's just an excuse to horde them. There's probably around a dozen or so episodes out there still, in known collectors hands, but they like having them and no one else.

The BBC waved the right to prosecute years and years ago. It's just not a realistic fear.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

He's quit the role to focus on acting acting, which is probably for the best. The Netflix algorithm seems to like him and he's getting cast in a lot of live action stuff now (e.g. Seven Kings Must Die).

The arc for that series has actually been fairly tight and has a lot of energy to it (despite a dud story or two), and the actor they got to play Valarie (Saifyya Ingar) is also really really good. They have insanely good chemistry with Dudman, and the season's tendency to put the character through the ringer means that they get a lot of chances to give really, really great performances. They're a really good team.

I knew he was leaving (and good on him for finding success, maybe he can be the next live action Doctor) but isn't there still more to be released with him and Valarie?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Cleretic posted:

God, it would be so weird in the funniest possible way for them to cast a Doctor who got famous thriugh impressions of other Doctors. A good weird, but still weird.

I can actually imagine that being a really good casting choice for a 'non-Doctor', like in that one Tennant special.

Make him the next Master, and have him do spot-on impressions of past Doctor's after he took over their body or whatever was happening in Jodie's last episode.

A version of the Master whose got split personality disorder with the past Doctor's in their head.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Infinitum posted:

Where's Rowan Atkinson Doctor then :argh:

He's pre-Fugitive Doctor.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Personally I could go another 10 years without seeing them again.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Speaking of scary, this month's Torchwood is a banger.

I like how Countrycide is just... what if an Italian cannibal flick, but instead of visiting the Global South we're just hanging out in the British South. I have no idea where Chibnall came up with it, that kind of story feels completely out of either his or RTD's wheelhouse.

That first season is so loving wild in tone, but between Countrycide and that fairy one it opened the show up to being able to tell random stories about the leads wandering into Welsh horror as a valid story type and that kind of owns. Particularly when you get good freaky stuff out of it, like this play. Recommended.

Interestingly it's a RTD idea. He actually wanted to do something similar for the Eccleston season, in the slot that eventually became Boom Town, having the Doctor show up somewhere and be convinced something other than human evil is to blame only to be proven wrong, but he decided it didn't fit into the Doctor's arc at that point. Eventually it resurfaced as a Torchwood idea. I don't recall how much of the cannibal idea was in the original version.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Lottery of Babylon posted:

I can think of at least one weapon in the show that can explicitly kill Time Lords hard enough that they can't regenerate: The one Master Saxon uses on Missy in The Doctor Falls.

...of course, she survives it anyhow, because that's what the Master does.

I think we also see that if a Time Lord is like, killed a second time while they're trying to regenerate from the first death, it interrupts the regeneration process and just leaves them dead? But I forget if we ever see that happen for real or if that was only ever done with Mecha Eleven.

There's nothing to say Dhwan doesn't occupy unknown space between Simm and Gomez, and in fact it makes more sense if he does.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

HD DAD posted:

Fugitive is the 6b Doctor who temporarily had her memory wiped/filled with fake memories to do covert Timelord poo poo before turning into Pertwee.

The Division and Timeless Child stuff is just the wacky false identity they came up with and The Master discovered it with zero context, taking it as literal truth because he’s a big dummy.

Boom, solved.

I'd only bother explaining it more if they brought the Fugitive Doctor back too, because otherwise there's no value in further dwelling on it.

"I made a jigsaw puzzle of your history."

That's it. Done. Let's all move on from that poo poo.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

lines posted:

Yeah, I mean, this is all very nice but literally the last episode hit the beat of going back to the Timeless Child stuff and reiterating that the Doctor was adopted. RTD has been pretty clear he doesn't want to retcon and it seems he isn't going to entirely leave it alone either.

I think using it as an emotional hook for the Doctor is fine, but further explanation of it would suck.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

CommonShore posted:

The difference though is the context of when he's taking control. Last time he had the clean break and blank slate. This time he has been handed a very present and active Gordian knot of continuity. It's like Hunter S Thompson and his advice on hitting wildlife: if you can't avoid the collision, hit the gas and not the brake.

He could just ignore it.

Gatwa has already been The Doctor for a few hundred years by the time we meet him in Ruby Road, so just ignore all the continuity poo poo.

Spreading salt at the end of the universe basically rebalanced the cosmic scales in favor of brand new weird poo poo.

Just... move on. Reboot.

The show won't survive no matter how good of a creative upswing it has if it's too busy trying to work out his Chibnall's poo poo can be spun into gold.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

I was kind of disappointed that The Church on Ruby Road didn't feel as much of a reboot as Rose did, but maybe that's because I'm older and more wise to RTD's tricks than I was when Rose aired.

Maybe to new viewers on Disney+ it felt fresh and exciting and The Doctor felt mysterious and propulsive?

I thought it was a great episode, I just question how great it was as an onboarding episode.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

MikeJF posted:

I feel like they understood that pretty well when they restarted the show. Can't speak for 13's era (fell off the show) but just about all of the other modern companions would be pretty ready to tell him he's taking bollocks.

13 never really did anything in the episodes so no bollocks were talked to begin with.

Sad, but true.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Khanstant posted:

I like how it's circled to magic in the universe and the magic wand is not very effective on it.

Gatwa's screwdriver is fine but it's especially weird that in a season where it looks like magic and myth are more real than ever the sonic has changed to look like a magic wand than ever.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

To play devil's advocate, it was a VERY memorable episode, it was (I believe) supposed to be the final ever episode and he played a pivotal role in Del Boy and Rodney finally becoming millionaires (and this time next year... billionaires!).

What a colossal mistake it was ever revisiting that story.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

Don't worry, they eventually made a Sea Devils' episode and I'm sure the extra time meant they got to give it the quality and polish it nee....

https://i.imgur.com/tNzYjzD.mp4

:stonklol:

I don't know how much they spent on this costume but it was too much.

I'm fine with Doctor Who having shoddy effects but there's something about this that looks so cheap and off putting.

This and the redesigned Ice Warrior are probably the worst designs of NuWho (RIP)

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Bicyclops posted:

They shouldn't have cast another person to play him, honestly, and it's part of why I could never enjoy Twice Upon a Time. I get that each Doctor is kind of its own character but realistically, they were casting someone to play William Hartnell.

Yeah, I agree with this. I don't think they should bring back older Doctor's once the original actor is unable to come back.

It keeps the show moving forward and, I don't know, I think there's a dignity to it I guess?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Fil5000 posted:

They've only ever done it to Hartnell and at this point they've done it TWICE, and neither of them have really been anything other than a caricature. I'll give Bradley a pass for An Adventure in Space and Time obviously.

Yeah, I have no problem with Bradley playing William Hartnell in AAiS&T.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Gaz-L posted:

YouTuber Sarah Z did a video breaking down Kill The Moon and it kind of threw just how gross the episode actually is into sharp relief for me. Like, it was pretty blatantly a pro-life message, but the way the other side is framed as unfeeling and cruel is hosed up.

Bizarrely if you ask the writer this is entirely by mistake and he's pro-choice in real life. Which I'm not sure I buy. The writer of Tardis Eruditorum also thinks its the best episode the show has ever done, but she also rates Forest of the Night in her top five so...

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

SirSamVimes posted:

So is Jodie Whittaker just immune to fall damage or something

So was Ten.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

I had forgotten every single thing about this episode. Legitimately as I was reading that review I vaguely recall watching it, but it's like a distant memory of something in the fog.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

I remember actually being pretty heartbroken with the Chibnall era, because I thought I'd outgrown what was my favourite TV show. It took the RTD specials to make me realize the show had just gone in a direction that didn't appeal to me* temporarily.

*Anyone.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Fil5000 posted:

I really like It Takes You Away but good god it doesn't need Kevin Eldon's mugging. I love the guy, I'm 99% of the time happy to see him show up in things but his whole section feels like something crowbarred in to pad the run time when you could have just done more stuff with the actual plot and characters that are central to the episode.

Does he play the weird, totally unexplained alien that guides them?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

SirSamVimes posted:

Just watched It Takes You Away and it's the closest this season has been to good.

And even then it's kind of poo poo.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

I'm glad you enjoyed the episode but I can't rate it as highly as you do. I found Ashad to be a laughable villain, and I can't let the incredibly clunky ending go so easily.

I'd say it's a 4/10 episode, which I guess makes it's one of the best of the Chibnall era?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Warthur posted:

I remember being underwhelmed by the Lone Cyberman for two reasons: a) implying that Mary Shelley just wrote a story based on a Cyberman encounter kind of undermines her own creative contributions...

Yeah, I was a bit confused that Jerusalem thinks the episode doesn't do this as it seems pretty evident to me that it 100% does.

Everything about the Cyberman in this episode is there to influence Mary Shelley into writing Frankenstein based on it. The birth by lighting over the lake, his face being partially visible so she doesn't just write a story about a robot instead, her overhearing from the Doctor other important parts of the story.

That the episode ends with one of the other, lets face it, much less influential writers reading from one of their stories and now Mary Shelley reading from Frankenstein is insane.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Maybe there's just something broken with my brain but I've never understood why that's a problem. The Nazis were genocidal serial killers, but so is the Master. They're just turning their poisonous ideologies on each other.

It's because he's played by an actor of Indian heritage. The Doctor is weaponizing the Master's skin color to ensure he has a particularly nasty fate in the hands of real world fascist. You really don't see how that's a grotesque step too far?

Also, there's a massive difference between the fictional genocides that the Master can be held responsible for and the real world perpetrators of the Holocaust!

If you hand someone over to this version of the Master at worst they might get shrunken down, which is portrayed as bad, but we have no real world frame of reference for, however we know exactly what fate the Doctor is condemning their best friend to because it's a well documented real world war crime.

PriorMarcus fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Feb 16, 2024

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

I agree with all of the above.

I wonder if one way to salvage something from the Time Lords being killed is to say it really was just the Citadel and the Time Lords who the Master killed. You could have the people of Gallifrey trying to make something of themselves with the Doctor guiding them.

What happens when the facist upper class are disposed and the repressed majority have to build something better?

This also means you sidestep the recurring loveable villain having killed millions of kids.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Coward posted:

By the way, has there been any note of any differences between what was on Disney+ and what aired on the Beeb?

None at all. They are identical.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Coward posted:

That was a weirdly misjudged attempt at a bit of "cute" humour. And it's a shame because Graham's reactions to his cancer and grief over Grace are the only genuine emotional throughlines in the era, and it gets undercut completely there. I am hoping Chibnall looks back on that and goes, "Yeah, that was a bad idea, don'tknow what I was thinking," like Moffat does with that woeful scene at the end of Flesh and Stone.

The scene where Amy tries to seduce the Doctor? Has Moffat said he regrets it?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

lines posted:

My days of thinking that she is an overly pretentious critic in love with her own cleverness are certainly reaching a middle.

The review of Rosa is great, but yeah, she is too verbose for me most of the time, so I end up skim reading large amounts of the text. I agree (mostly) with everything she says, but she's far too positive about some episodes for my taste (Kill the Moon, Forest of the Night and Karblam!*) come to mind.

*To clarify she thinks the episode is pretty good until the ending absolutely tanks it, whilst I think it's dogshit all the way down.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

I will say that her Witchfinders review, which is the most recent one, articles a point I've always been really reluctant to discuss, and that's the maybe Whitaker, even with the poo poo material she was given, just isn't a very good Doctor? Like, I was all on board with the idea that she wasn't given the scripts and material (she wasn't) but then I think about how much of her era has just slid off my brain, and how little of her Doctor I have a grasp on, and I can fairly safely say that she really didn't do anything to elevate the material. I think, with every other Doctor, that when they had bad scripts they still managed to do something memorable with them, but Whitaker just... doesn't?

I won't quite the review at length here, but I do recommend reading it. https://www.eruditorumpress.com/blog/qui-quae-quod-the-witchfinders

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Warthur posted:

I’m much less sure what anyone could use as the kernel of a Thirteenth Doctor Story Only Good This Time. The bit at the end of It Takes You Away where she manages a bit of conversational manoeuvring to get the humans to reject/be rejected by the Solitract, in order to propel them out of the mirror world to safety, perhaps, but that’s literally one moment in three seasons and a cluster of specials.

I really don’t think she has any other truly great moments in her run which make you sit up and think “Yes, this is what the Doctor is supposed to be about”, particularly once you get to entire seasons based around her getting upstaged by Jo Martin or blithely watching the Master do a Powerpoint presentation in the Matrix and then assuming it’s true, after the Master has demonstrated that the Matrix can lie in literally every preceding story involving the Master interacting with the Matrix. Sure, it’s not Whittaker’s fault, but it still means that there’s precious little material to build on there.

I agree with everything you said.

For me the version of Thirteen I'd like to see more of is the mad inventor we get a glimpse of at the end of her first episode, and briefly again when she's doing work on the Tardis. But, it's striking to me that with Thirteen this is something I've grasped onto and want to see more of, but with Eleven he was routinely tinkering in the control room and I just think of them as neat beats in his larger character.

Her being a mad inventor isn't even text at this point and it's certainly not enough to build a better version of the character from, it's just one of the few aesthetic choices the show made for her that stands out as ever so slightly different to the other Doctors.

Of course, Martin was also dealing with the same scripts by the same writers, and she does a great job of being the Doctor and feeling like there's a full character there to explore.

I'm more excited for the Big Finish audios announced for Martin, with all the baggage her character brings with it, than I would be for Thirteen audios.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

I think, for Thirteen to ever have a successful second life, you'd basically have to create an entirely new character whilst keeping some of the (failed) ideas of the series under Chibnall as the foundations.

Maybe have her travel with a Tardis Fam of a few people, but do a better job juggling it, have her meet River and still fancy her, politically interesting historical stories, etc.

It says a lot that the most interesting things about Chibnall's run was always the intent behind ideas rather than the execution (cast a female Doctor, politically aware in historical episodes, bring mystery back to the Doctor).

Making her a kind of mad inventor/trickster, because she can't rely on having the inherent authority of being a white male anymore could be fun.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

What does it mean to be politically aware in a historical story, as opposed to Moffat's Thin Ice and such?

Honestly it's very hard to articulate the differences, but I'd say that the Chibnall historical episodes (certainly in the first season when the show at least seemed to have some ideas of it's own) tried to set historical stories in a broader political landscape/social movement, rather than a snapshot in time.

I don't think they were very successful, but I'd also say that more than any defining trait of Thirteen's character it's one of the things that defines her Doctor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

lines posted:

I don't think I've ever really seen her talk much about the show and I would be quite interested in her take on it all.

Chibnall is on record as telling her not to watch any of the show as research.