Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which season of Doctor Who should get a Blu-ray set next?
This poll is closed.
One of the black-and-white seasons 16 29.63%
Season 7 7 12.96%
Season 11 1 1.85%
Season 13 0 0%
Season 15 2 3.70%
The Key to Time 21 38.89%
Season 21 0 0%
Season 25 7 12.96%
Total: 54 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Oh the round things, I love the round things!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

W.T. Fits posted:

Me, too! ... What do they do?

…no idea

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Rewatched the TV movie since it’s been awhile and today is New Year’s Eve, and now I’m giggling to myself thinking about 11’s “the first face this face saw” line before his regeneration and how for 8 that face is Will Sasso.

I’m picturing 8 dying in the TARDIS as Will Sasso slowly descends a staircase before touching his face and saying “Frankenstein man… goodnight.”

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
The unread post count had me wondering which surviving classic Doctor had died :argh:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
IMO Clara’s a little too interesting to be a companion. A good companion should be an affable everyperson with a personality distinct from The Doctor’s that can function as an audience surrogate without overshadowing The Doctor or the rest of the craziness going on in each episode. That’s not to say they should be boring or blend into the background entirely, but they should be firmly a supporting character to The Doctor.

I liked Clara but she always felt like she was written to be the lead character of the show in a way that most other companions aren’t, especially when she was with 11. I’m sure that’s part of why people are so divided on her.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Hollismason posted:

He has a physicality to his performance that you don't see in later presentations. Like just the way he stands or sits or moves. He's a very physical actor. Like I'm watching Planet of Evil right now.

This is McCoy erasure

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I’m really bummed that Jo Martin’s incarnation will probably be a Doctor that only ever comes back for specials/anniversaries/one-offs etc. instead of getting at least one full season like all the others aside from 8 and War (and I guess technically 14).

It feels like a waste because she rules in the role and absolutely deserves to have her own era. I’m sure the Big Finish audios are inevitable, but… it’s not the same as having televised stories.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Random Stranger posted:

I'm moving to Malebolgia, a bustling new state that is definitely a real place and absolutely not sinister!

I’m pretty sure that’s what all the Twin Peaks entities eat

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I’m gonna throw hands if you people start maligning McCoy’s vest

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I dunno, his tv movie costume just isn’t quite eccentric enough. It’s too basic, like something you’d see an old man wearing in a nice pub.

I absolutely hate Tom’s monochromatic maroon nightmare though.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
It’s all the burgundy plus the scarf becoming an absolute parody of itself in terms of length. It’s awful.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Random Stranger posted:

I like the idea behind it, but feel the execution was poor. Brightly colored and clashing works for the Doctor and making them pop on those fuzzy old TVs. But the choice of patterns in the material doesn't show well and I think the way the panels are laid out for the coat makes it look worse. If C. Baker's thing was asymmetrical, high contrast long coats and he had a few of them that he rotated through, then it might have worked. Streamline the design a bit, too.

It’s also the combination of the coat and the striped yellow pants and the blue polka dot clown bow thing he had going on. The coat on its own is loud but not horrible. The whole ensemble makes me think of a bad clown though.

I seem to recall someone here actually has a Colin coat that looked pretty good? I wanna say it was DoctorWhat?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I don’t remember a lick about anything the episode actually had to say, I just remember being distracted and infuriated by the premise and resolution. Even for Doctor Who of all things it felt like such a massive leap in fantasy nonsense pseudoscience.

It’s almost impressive.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Happiness Patrol is worth it for this alone.

https://youtu.be/g6c6AxhAal0?si=KTs__oVf8rWEA_5r

Pretty much the perfect 7 scene :allears:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I’ve already completely forgotten huge chunks of Chibnall’s tenure aside from that first season and Whittaker’s finale. Flux was the first time I ever just completely gave up watching the show because I just couldn’t find anything at all to hold my interest. It’s frustrating because every now and then you’d see flashes of genuine greatness. The Dhawan Master, the Fugitive Doctor, the concept of a “Last Cyberman”, really out there unique sci-fi stuff like It Takes You Away, etc. but it’s all buried beneath this intensely thick layer of malaise, often even within the same episodes as the aforementioned elements.

Not to mention Whittaker’s Doctor herself. It’s cliché by now to say “oh I’d really love to see what [current showrunner] could do with [former Doctor]”, but imo it’s never been truer than with 13. She never really got her Heaven Sent or “Everybody lives!”, that one defining moment almost every previous Doctor seems to have that ends up defining that incarnation. And it’s entirely a failing of the writing because Jodie always gave a far better performance than any of those scripts deserved.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
As someone who’s industry is being taken over by GPT, it’s really not. If anything, even Chibnall’s trash is still slightly above your average GPT response.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
It’s also good for if you want to recap before a new season and want plot synopses more detailed than whatever Wikipedia generally has.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
For a show so reliant on callbacks to its own history that’s such a wild thing to tell the new lead.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Ha, I hadn’t realized her best episodes were all non-Chibnall but that makes perfect sense in retrospect.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I tried to watch Flux not long before Whittaker’s finale and I’m almost certain I fell asleep at some point during every single episode.

I’m also pretty sure that thanks to the autoplay on whatever streamer it was, at one point I nodded off during episode 4, slept through all of episode 5, woke up briefly during episode 6, and then fell asleep again before it was over.

I remember it being a very good nap.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Well Manicured Man posted:

Chibnall's run is like if ChatGPT wrote Doctor Who.

Nah, ChatGPT would’ve at least been nonsensical enough to be vaguely interesting. The Chibnall era is the dry turkey sandwich of modern Who; yeah it’s good and it technically functions as something to fill you up, but there’s no joy to be had in that meal.

You’re eating bland turkey on bland white bread without even so much as a bit of pesto aioli or spicy mustard, and on top of that you’d just spent the last 3ish years eating a pretty good hot pastrami on rye.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Wolfechu posted:

The need for middle to upper management to jump on the latest marketing craze. They'll be using something like ChatGPT to generate promotional copy, as a trial.

I suppose we should be glad the show more or less avoided the whole NFT thing

Yeah, essentially they’ll be A/B/C/etc testing different versions of the same ad copy for a while, and then likely using the results as justification for gutting and condensing the actual human marketing teams and replacing them with “prompt engineers” who finesse the garbage the AI spits out.

Marketing has completely fallen in love with AI (none of it’s actually AI) and other generative bullshit because it means you no longer have to rely on (pay) the actual writers and artists in the industry. Marketing was already a completely morally bankrupt industry before AI. The last year and change have just made it immeasurably worse.

Ask me how I know from personal experience :negative:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I cannot imagine anything I’d want less than a Moffat remake of Columbo

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Fil5000 posted:

Thankfully Rian Johnson got Poker Face made so that space is filled.

:agreed:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Bicyclops posted:

I actually sort of hope that he doesn't go back to any of his old wells. I'd prefer some tight, one-off episode that focuses on the Doctor's more human emotions and has a cool monster in it. Somebody else can take a stab at River or the Paternoster gang or whatnot.

Please let it be something like this. We’ve gotten plenty of episodes featuring River and the Paternosters already. Do something new.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I don’t care if they stop being special, I like seeing the Doctors argue amongst themselves (themself?)

It’s also an avenue for giving previous Docs with garbage/nonexistent tv eras (*cough* 6, 8, 13, Fugitive *cough*) a chance to actually shine for once outside of audios/books.

The only real danger in having more multi-Doc episodes is making sure the current Doc isn’t overshadowed by their predecessors, but that’s an issue you can fix with good writing and not necessarily a flaw in the concept.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

My greatest regret in life is that I’ll never be able to pull off all these incredible outfits Gatwa is wearing

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

2house2fly posted:

Also the entire scene they describe has vanished from my memory entirely, probably a sign that I should get going with that rewatch

The OP posts their original letter/email further down and it’s apparently a line in Aliens of London. I don’t remember it at all either though.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
No way, Capaldi’s casual outfits loving ruled. There’s something inmensely cool about CapaldiDoc in particular going full casual instead of just wearing the typical stuffy or posh poo poo all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
“Seventh Doctor / McCoy fans have officially won!”

In what universe my dude

If anything the mere association with Young Sheldon will set us McCoyHeads back decades.