Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Three Olives posted:

Also, the Golden Globes is owned and run by Dick Clark Productions, it's like asking why the Billboard Music Awards is less prestigious than the Grammys.

OK I'll bite: Why are the Billboard Music Awards less prestigious than the Grammys?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
I don't think the rhetorical point was one is more prestigious than the other, it's just that they're industry award shows with overlap and different voting members and industries in question (e.g. Oscars covers film, Golden Globes film and television).

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Private Cumshoe posted:

I don't think the rhetorical point was one is more prestigious than the other, it's just that they're industry award shows with overlap and different voting members and industries in question (e.g. Oscars covers film, Golden Globes film and television).

lol like The Cable ACE Awards?

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
MY Dad is hard of hearing now. I can watch movies him anymore.

It sorts it out.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

redshirt posted:

lol like The Cable ACE Awards?

I don't know what that is but sure!

pencilhands posted:

Ever since Avatar was robbed of the Oscar for best picture in 2009 by The Hurt Locker I haven't given a poo poo.

lol

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

Vampire Panties posted:

quick reminder that the oscars chose Shakespeare In Love for Best Picture in 1999, over contender Saving Private Ryan. The Green Mile wasn't nominated, nor was Fight Club

does anyone remember anything about Shakespeare in Love other than Gwyneth Paltrow's boobs

The Green Mile and Fight Club were released in 1999, whereas Shakespeare in Love and Saving Private Ryan were 1998. Although American Beauty winning for 1999 was also pretty weak.

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
When I was a kid I thought the MTV awards were the 'real' awards because movies like T2 won

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Borrowed Ladder posted:

When I was a kid I thought the MTV awards were the 'real' awards because movies like T2 won

This kid gets it

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

♬ I Know You're Dying Trying To Figure Me Out♬

♬My Name's On The Tip Of Your Tongue Keep Running Your Mouth♬

♬You Want The Recipe But Can't Handle My Sound My Sound My Sound♬

♬No Matter What You Do Im Gonna Get It Without Ya♬

♬ I Know You Ain't Used To A Female Alpha♬

Borrowed Ladder posted:

may have to subscribe to this theory, 1995 had MTV award it to Pulp Fiction over Forrest Gump, 2000 had MTV award it to The Matrix over American Beauty and the Lord of the Rings trilogy swept 2002-2004 in the MTV awards over A Beautiful Mind and Chicago.

edit: lol I just looked up the 1992 MTV Movie & TV Awards and T2 won every single category

mannerup fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Dec 31, 2023

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Borrowed Ladder posted:

Chewbacca got his medal in 1997 as well, given to him by Carrie fisher

It’s funny how desperate I was for anything Star Wars in 97 that I even remember this

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Dr. Gojo Shioji posted:

The Green Mile and Fight Club were released in 1999, whereas Shakespeare in Love and Saving Private Ryan were 1998. Although American Beauty winning for 1999 was also pretty weak.

:hmmyes: I always get the rolling dates wrong :doh:

also Green Mile was nominated for best picture, but lost to American Beauty. Fight Club still wasnt nominated.

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

Oscar snubs are always funny because Citizen loving Kane lost best picture in 1942 to a film nobody knows about.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

mannerup posted:

Oscar snubs are always funny because Citizen loving Kane lost best picture in 1942 to a film nobody knows about.

LOL and who's even seen Citizen Kane?

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
What were the skies like when we were young?

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

redshirt posted:

LOL and who's even seen Citizen Kane?

Boring movie tbh

Overrated fs

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
Roger Ebert: Wrong about video games, right about Fight Club 2 out of 4 stars

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

The year after Citizen Kane, was Casablanca, and I actually do think that movie is cool though

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

Martin Scorsese only winning one Oscar in his entire tenure (for The Departed) is also bullshit

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

What's so funny?

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

Goodfellas losing to Dances with Wolves in 1991 for Best Picture, Best Director, Best Screenplay Adaptation and Best Film Editing also was complete bullshit (Pesci deserved the Oscar for Best Supporting Actor which he received, and I am not sad to see Lorraine Bracco lose to Whoopi Goldberg for Best Supporting Actress).

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

mannerup posted:

Martin Scorsese only winning one Oscar in his entire tenure (for The Departed) is also bullshit

:lol::lmao: Clint Eastwood has more Best Director wins than Scorsese. Unforgiven deserves every Oscar it won, but what the gently caress was Million Dollar Baby

also :lol::lmao: that Scorsese's win is for a remake

mannerup posted:

Goodfellas losing to Dances with Wolves in 1991 for Best Picture, Best Director, Best Screenplay Adaptation and Best Film Editing also was complete bullshit (Pesci deserved the Oscar for Best Supporting Actor which he received, and I am not sad to see Lorraine Bracco lose to Whoopi Goldberg for Best Supporting Actress).

:hmmyes: The Academy has its own head up its rear end, saying that it reviews movies based on the 'art', so movies that are movies don't go as far - except the farthuffers absolutely adore movies about Hollywood

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

Zeluth posted:

clouds mostly. some rain. the sun is there a lot. moon too. not much different than todays sky. less chemtrails id wager. some snow maybe. i think theres pretty detailed records of this stuff so its not hard to check.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Awarding the departed an Oscar is kinda funny

Listening to gimme shelter when you drive on the zakim rules tho

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

the departed was awesome

love it or hate it the ending took some courage

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

I like when Leo is like hey sweethaht let’s fuckin bang in this triple deckah and then THERE IS NO PAIN, YOU ARE RECEEDING, A DISTANT SHIPS SMOKE ON THE HORIZON

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I've never questioned it. I never even thought to ask until now but why? We all know that an Oscar means more than a Golden Globe, but why?

who gives a poo poo? in both cases you have to launch a campaign for millions of dollars to even be considered

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

the departed was the beginning of a 6 year period where every single "art" movie was set in the boston area a streak only surpassed by the 20 year period where every art movie's title was a variation on American _______

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

the departed was the beginning of a 6 year period where every single "art" movie was set in the boston area a streak only surpassed by the 20 year period where every art movie's title was a variation on American _______

[citation needed]

What in hell are you talking about?

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

It’s kind of a realistic movie, because the actors that are actually from Massachusetts play the least likable characters

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Oscar lives in a garbage can

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Worf posted:

It’s kind of a realistic movie, because the actors that are actually from Massachusetts play the least likable characters

Yeah, i guess. Walberg and Damon are from boston

Glah
Jun 21, 2005
Me? I'm more of a Palme d'Or kinda guy. Why care about mickey mouse trophies like the Oscars or Golden Globes when you can go for true prestige? :smuggo:

Truck Stop Stall
Jul 11, 2006

I think the Oscars' (Oscar's?) prestige is due as much to effective marketing as anything else. Every awards show on Earth is literally 100% straight up complete non-filtered bullshit. The Oscars seems prestigious because they do all those reaction takes of celebrities. If the camera showed the stage all the time then nobody would have ever given a gently caress about the Oscars.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

mannerup posted:

may have to subscribe to this theory, 1995 had MTV award it to Pulp Fiction over Forrest Gump, 2000 had MTV award it to The Matrix over American Beauty and the Lord of the Rings trilogy swept 2002-2004 in the MTV awards over A Beautiful Mind and Chicago.

edit: lol I just looked up the 1992 MTV Movie & TV Awards and T2 won every single category

These all make sense. T2, Matrix and LotR were technical marvels in addition to being quality action, the effects hold up better than more recent movies that don't even try. Pulp Fiction actually puts effort into its narrative elements and has great character interactions, compared to Tom Hanks just sleepwalking through boomer nostalgia.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Glah posted:

Me? I'm more of a Palme d'Or kinda guy. Why care about mickey mouse trophies like the Oscars or Golden Globes when you can go for true prestige? :smuggo:

This poster gets it

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Borrowed Ladder posted:

the mtv movie awards were the best

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQ1UWwE01VE

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Vampire Panties posted:

does anyone remember anything about Shakespeare in Love other than Gwyneth Paltrow's boobs

I don’t even remember those

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I used to really be into awards shows when young (except The Tonys!), but dropped it for a loooong time.

But I legit watched and rooted for Mad Max Fury Road to win. It was a good haul but I was hoping against hope for Best Director. Alas.

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

funerary linens looking like dishrags

Zeluth posted:

Are you listening to The Orb Zeluth? You posted something else that indicates that's the case. That was the first album that I bought with money from a regular job back in school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
The Oscars is an industry award show by and for the industry to award achievements in the industry and to promote and expand the industry. It's why they're often given out politically, like ok maybe this actress didn't give her best role this time but compared to the others this round it was pretty good and we haven't given them one yet, it's time. It's not about art other than film is an artistic medium. It's also why in the 80s and 90s you see a lot of films getting oscars for special effects that are absolute garbage movies and also seem like garbage effects now because whatever the gently caress they're talking about re: special effects was a good technical achievement at the time.