Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pygmy tyrant
Nov 25, 2005

*not a small business owner

This is a space for discussing pointless robots, robots that look like they came from fever dreams, robots that make no sense, robots that are just regular things given intelligence in a casual act of pointless cruelty, robots that accidentally embody other horror genres, etc.

Robots like the NR-1100 Slicer Droid (Star Wars).

It's a hacker robot with hands in a universe where nobody has a keyboard and all the other robots and computers talk through some combination of tumbler lock and USB port. It also has no vocabulator so it can't even say "I'm in" while cracking it's superfluous knuckles.

Or the SCM-22 Stenographer Droid (also Star Wars)

A voice recorder that can walk around and think for some reason. I wonder if they do this with all office supplies, like you open a desk drawer and it's full of staplers skittering around. It's only 8 cm tall so I assume it kind of just lives on top of your desk, why does it need to move around at all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pygmy tyrant
Nov 25, 2005

Binary load lifters (the things C-3PO used to work with) are like fork lifts that refuse to speak whatever language you do, which is pretty much the same as the summer I spent driving a forklift.

I don't know for sure that binary load lifters are bad at that job but I definitely was.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Norby the Robot. Making a child like robot that can secretly time travel was a mistake.

Razor Jacksuit
Mar 31, 2007

VEES RULE #1

Gonk!

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

These things:

You might be thinking "hey, that doesn't look like a robot at all", and you'd be right. But these Star Trek-rear end energy beings have been masquerading as robots for decades.

See, these creatures hail from another dimension, and were originally brought into the physical realm eons ago when the "Lord of the Light Gods" crossed over in order to do battle with his Dark God counterpart, since existing in phyiscal form would weaken them both enough for the Dark God to be defeated. Once in the physical realm, the Light God used the last of his power to bind himself and his evil counterpart within asteroid prisons so that their battle wouldn't spread any further.

As time passed, the Light God's asteroid began to accumulate mass, and eventually grew to become planet-sized. While this was happening, some of the Light God's interdimensional energy would leak through to the physical world, bubbling up to the surface of the new planet as discrete instances of energy-being consciousness, called "Sparks". Since these Sparks were quite helpless in the physical dimension, they eventually found a way to create exo-skeletal bodies that they could ride around in, and help them to manipulate the physical world around them.

And thus, the Sparks were able to build up their asteroid/planet home into a new world named Cybertron. The Sparks then began calling themselves Cybertronians, but the rest of the galaxy would just know them as... Transformers.

Yeah - these so-called "Robots in Disguise'' aren't actually robots at all. They're just interdimensional masses of charged positrons that ride around in mech suits. The amount of intergalactic war crimes that these things have avoided punishment for by pretending to be simple, non-sentient, unprosecutable robots must be enormous.

Robot Style fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jan 3, 2024

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

:mods:

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

pygmy tyrant posted:

Or the SCM-22 Stenographer Droid (also Star Wars)

A voice recorder that can walk around and think for some reason. I wonder if they do this with all office supplies, like you open a desk drawer and it's full of staplers skittering around. It's only 8 cm tall so I assume it kind of just lives on top of your desk, why does it need to move around at all?

Maybe it can drive itself to the secretarial pool, which is also probably all droids

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
While Andromon is very cool, he does not seem like he is doing well

pygmy tyrant
Nov 25, 2005

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

Maybe it can drive itself to the secretarial pool, which is also probably all droids

As long as it gets on and off the desk with the help of a tiny elevator that is also inexplicably a droid, I'd accept this.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

While Andromon is very cool, he does not seem like he is doing well

having a bunch of loose cables for hair seems like they could have a lot of fun with one of those big modular synths

pygmy tyrant fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jan 7, 2024

pygmy tyrant
Nov 25, 2005

Why would you not post optimus, the dancing robot with human level hands???

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

pygmy tyrant posted:

Why would you not post optimus, the dancing robot with human level hands???

This one kills the passengers as well as pedestrians! Or at least the other models do.

Not sure if you heard but Tesla is an AI and robotics company according to Musk.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

did somebody say bad robots??

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!
Did somebody?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Is that yellow dude to Bad Robot's left somebody? I could swear its "eyes" look familiar.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

The "Juggernaut"

It's basically the mecha equivalent of the many, many attempts by Nazi Germany to build a cheap fighter aircraft that is remotely useful and not a total deathtrap, which generally failed horribly on the last front. In this case it's supposed to oppose the unending tide of enemy murderbots.

It's not SUPPOSED to be piloted but their attempts to build an AI were a total flop so there's an untermenschen child slave soldier crammed in there. They have something like a 99% one-year loss rate.

It has a worse gun, armor, and engine than its much more numerous enemy.

If you're wondering why the untermenschen don't immediately try to shoot their bosses, it's mostly a combination of a big minefield and their bosses controlling their only supply of ammo and food.

From the light novel/anime Eighty Six.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Marvin the Paranoid Android from the BBC series.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Mister Kingdom posted:

Marvin the Paranoid Android from the BBC series.

We want bad robots not sad robots.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

he's pretty weird, to be fair

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
Hector from Saturn 3 is a pretty weird robot

He's got an absolutely enormous, hulking, 8ft body

But only a tiny wee head

He's also got an enormous brain, which you can see here being loaded into his body by another weird robot

...but unfortunately Hector learns everything via a direct brain-to-brain link with his trainer, a homicidal and catastrophically horny dropout.

He also can't talk. Or won't.

pygmy tyrant
Nov 25, 2005

Love the chrome six pack but uh

where does that brain tube go

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
If it has organic parts, ESPECIALLY a brain, it's not a robot it's a cyborg.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

DrBouvenstein posted:

If it has organic parts, ESPECIALLY a brain, it's not a robot it's a cyborg.

well, that's why it's a bad robot

almost a robot, didn't quite pull it off, better luck next time my metallic man!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
IN 40k Rogue Trader they had robuts

They were weird and the models were not very good

And to use them in a game, you had to basically create a program using little counters that dictated what the robot would do in a situation. There's a reason Imperial Robots vanished until Admech came out as an army 20 years later.

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?
The Ice Pirates has some real crap robots who take a beating:

And at one point the heroes run into this pimp bot:

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

https://i.imgur.com/ncc19yd.mp4

Terry Nation does it again

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

We built it wrong on purpose, as a joke because our boss is an egomaniac

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

i mean tbf half the budget for that scene was probably just cracking open the can of film stock

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
weird, not bad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjX0TkL9RMM

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

twistedmentat posted:

And to use them in a game, you had to basically create a program using little counters that dictated what the robot would do in a situation. There's a reason Imperial Robots vanished until Admech came out as an army 20 years later.

You actually paid points for each counter, used them to make a flowchart for what the robot would do, and each turn you'd go through the flowchart to control the robot.. You had checks like 'pick nearest unit as target' 'pick next nearest target' 'is target an enemy' and 'is target in range', and actions like 'move towards objective' (which you'd designate beforehand), 'turn 45/90/135/180 degrees', and 'move forward' to move around, and things like 'fire weapon at target' and 'charge target' to fight. It cost points for every counter you used in the program, so you could save a lot of points by omitting the safety checks and just make a robot that constantly moves towards the nearest target while firing, but if you weren't careful and had one of your units become the nearest target, they'd happily give you a team kill. I remember seeing a game where someone did this, and the other guy used a psychic power to teleport the robot behind his lines so his guys would always be closest.

Interesting setup, but not very practical, like a lot of Rogue Trader era rules.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
HOW DID HE GET HEEERRRE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fvh32fQ8nNI

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

The Cicada
https://www.sarna.net/news/bad-mechs-cicada/

Can't torso twist properly, has a pathetic loadout that lighter mechs exceed, an enormous expensive engine that it wouldn't need if it was lighter. What a piece of poo poo. All it's good for is stripping out the engine to put in something better.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Pantaloon Pontiff posted:

You actually paid points for each counter, used them to make a flowchart for what the robot would do, and each turn you'd go through the flowchart to control the robot.. You had checks like 'pick nearest unit as target' 'pick next nearest target' 'is target an enemy' and 'is target in range', and actions like 'move towards objective' (which you'd designate beforehand), 'turn 45/90/135/180 degrees', and 'move forward' to move around, and things like 'fire weapon at target' and 'charge target' to fight. It cost points for every counter you used in the program, so you could save a lot of points by omitting the safety checks and just make a robot that constantly moves towards the nearest target while firing, but if you weren't careful and had one of your units become the nearest target, they'd happily give you a team kill. I remember seeing a game where someone did this, and the other guy used a psychic power to teleport the robot behind his lines so his guys would always be closest.

Interesting setup, but not very practical, like a lot of Rogue Trader era rules.

Thats even more cumbersome than I remember.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

rogue trader era is like if every single bad idea me and my friends had ever come up with for 'awesome rpg mechanics' in secondary school were made into an actual game. i am still not sure if they intended that first version to be played, or if the satire inherent to that early warhammer also extended to the mechanics. like was it a satirical game, or a satire of a game?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Mobile Fighter G Gundam is a show in the Gundam universe where different nations build gundams (themed around their nations) for a fighting competition which range from cool to borderline offensive to definitely offensive. Here's the best one and most fitting for this thread: Coming from Neo Holland, I give you the Nether Gundam:

The show has all the nations/Gundams go around for a year before the finals fighting to eliminate the competition. Nether Gundam (Hurricane Gundam in the English dub) takes the interesting strategy of having a mode where it just looks like a regular rear end windmill and hiding for the whole year, making it to the finals.

"But wait", you say, "surely this fantastic machine has other features!" My friends I give you FLIGHT MODE

Unfortunately the Nether Gundam does not fare very well once it makes it, losing the only two matches it's in, it's one signature attack (the windmill blows a big wind gust at the opponent) failing utterly. However, when a giant threat makes itself known at the end of the series we get to see that Neo Holland mass-produced these things.

I love this Gundam so goddamn much

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

juggalo baby coffin posted:

rogue trader era is like if every single bad idea me and my friends had ever come up with for 'awesome rpg mechanics' in secondary school were made into an actual game. i am still not sure if they intended that first version to be played, or if the satire inherent to that early warhammer also extended to the mechanics. like was it a satirical game, or a satire of a game?

I think they intended it to be played, but more like an RPG. The original rules expect a GM, and a lot of the play examples use a ton of ad-hoc enemies and events that really need an abjudicator, and with people who didn't mind crazy stuff happening like a virus grenade clearing 90% of the board on round 1. It wasn't until later that they added the idea of playing two equal point armies in a basically balanced battle in a competitive-ish environment, even though that's the only setup people think of for WH40K now.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
if we're doing mechs, then there is only one who can be crowned king of the lovely robots

Boss Borot, a robot built out of literal garbage and held together by gum and spit, piloted by an absolute dingus meathead.

Blitzway hosed up with their expensive figure of him by making him actually look kinda cool

he is a recurring robot from the Mazinger Z series, and routinely shows up in Super Robot Wars games with a wide variety of absurd attacks:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VhGEgZFYCE

if we're doing actual bad in a not-appealing way robots though, I have to give it up for the absolutely atrocious movie, Robot Wars, which is incorrectly often referred to as a sequel to Robot Jox, but is anything but. it manages to take the concept of a Battlemech-style scorpion robot and make it loving lame, nothing in this movie was fun. I was so excited to see a robot man fighting a robot scorpion and it was just a wet fart all around

this could've been cool! but it wasn't!!!!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Pantaloon Pontiff posted:

I think they intended it to be played, but more like an RPG. The original rules expect a GM, and a lot of the play examples use a ton of ad-hoc enemies and events that really need an abjudicator, and with people who didn't mind crazy stuff happening like a virus grenade clearing 90% of the board on round 1. It wasn't until later that they added the idea of playing two equal point armies in a basically balanced battle in a competitive-ish environment, even though that's the only setup people think of for WH40K now.

Yea, its weird, because GW had that game in WFB at that time, so I dunno know why they made 40k like that. Its pretty obvious they realized their mistake quickly because white dwarfs had new rules for armies and how the game was to be played that was way more playable.

Sadly, the robots didn't make it into the later edition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mweber
Dec 24, 2003

Captain Invictus posted:

if we're doing actual bad in a not-appealing way robots though, I have to give it up for the absolutely atrocious movie, Robot Wars, which is incorrectly often referred to as a sequel to Robot Jox, but is anything but. it manages to take the concept of a Battlemech-style scorpion robot and make it loving lame, nothing in this movie was fun. I was so excited to see a robot man fighting a robot scorpion and it was just a wet fart all around

this could've been cool! but it wasn't!!!!

I tried to watch Robot Wars last week. Couldn’t make it through it, even though it’s only like 75 minutes long. The humans in it are dire.