Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite "C" team?
Cardinals
Clions
Colts
Cowboys
Chiefs
Chargers
C Hawks
Caints
Can't choose
View Results

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

Lady Radia posted:

im not a lions fan yet!! nice try!!! any other moves?

why not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

blarzgh posted:

Well you seem like a perennial loser so you could see how I made the mistake

im sorry you were born too late to stand with jerry jones against integration in little rock

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

BonoMan posted:

Yeah he really did nail the play and I hate that for him. No idea if it really would have made all the difference but I agree more attention likely would have been paid to him. Who knows.

Yeah that's why I can only go with a "probably". For quite some time, Lions beat-reporters have been expecting that type of play to go to Sewell instead of Decker, so reporting that weirdo number out loud might make him get covered like a tight end instead of a wide lineman. But we've seen that play work a bajillionty times.

fuckin sucks for that guy though

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

i dont have the emotional energy ive realized. i was so high strung in the Game and against PSU this year, i couldn't make room for getting excited/worried about lions games.

when Michigan enters rebuilding mode I think I'll take the plunge

Master Stur
Jun 13, 2008

chasin' tail

CharlestheHammer posted:

So the game ended there and the lions won? Then why is everyone so upset

Wow cool you still refuse to engage in proper discussion of what happened!! At least act like the other trolls and take a side rather than refusing to acknowledge anything you neutral rear end loser

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

MJeff posted:

It's all Cowboys fans and one Packers fan who is A) Pretty dumb, and B) really, really, really hates that he keeps saying the Lions are gonna suck and keeps being wrong. It's all just partisan posting, nothing that defies explanation.

Whether the lions win or lose this game doesn’t really change whether they are good or not.

I think they are a fine if inconsistent team

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Grittybeard posted:

I mean if I imagine myself as the ref here I'm in full on cover your rear end mode too.

Credit to that one Baseball ump who recognized he made an atrocious call and felt horrible about it that ruined a perfect game way back when.

This usually doesn't happen with referees of any sort.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

illcendiary posted:

The cowboys suck rear end and are losing to the Bucs, doesn’t change the fact that the Lions played themselves (and are losing in round one to the Rams)
i agree with both of these actually, the rams are going to win at LEAST one playoff game

and i look forward to ninja's reaction when it happens

e: cowboys have allowed 24 PPG since week 13 which is around how bad philly has been defensively all year

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Dec 31, 2023

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

BonoMan posted:

This is what I don't get. The ref absolutely hosed up but did nobody on the Lions actually listen to who he said was eligible??

I have no idea if there's any established precedent for what to do if the refs gently caress up your eligibility and you don't have any timeouts to yell at them about it.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

tinstaach posted:

I have no idea if there's any established precedent for what to do if the refs gently caress up your eligibility and you don't have any timeouts to yell at them about it.

i'm curious on this, fwiw

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Master Stur posted:

Wow cool you still refuse to engage in proper discussion of what happened!! At least act like the other trolls and take a side rather than refusing to acknowledge anything you neutral rear end loser

I don’t want to engage in that discussion it’s pointless, the penalty was called. No amount of bellyaching is going to change that.

What happened afterwards is something you can control

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

Grittybeard posted:

Credit to that one Baseball ump who recognized he made an atrocious call and felt horrible about it that ruined a perfect game way back when.

I know nothing. Do baseball refs get a full time gig, or part time like the NFL. What exactly goes into being a ref? Do they train X times a week?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

tinstaach posted:

You’re hosed, just like every other time the refs gently caress up and nobody pays for it but the team they gently caress over.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Yeah go ahead and take a delay of game because the refs confused hearing a dude 2 ft in front of them with another one that "didn't say a loving word."

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I guess if Goff was REALLY on his toes he should have caused a delay of game if he heard the wrong number over the loudspeaker. but I really don't think that should be their responsibility once you report to a ref

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Lady Radia posted:

i'm curious on this, fwiw

ESPN's ref analyst said it's an unreviewable thing and the onus is on the player to make sure that the ref reports it correctly

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
So when the refs announce the wrong player the lions are suppose to pause and walk over and talk to the ref to correct it?

What happens if the play clock doesmt have enough time will they reset it since they messed up or would you still potentially get a delay of game? If there isnt a playclock during extra point try, what about regular plays?

Curious how its suppose to work.

Master Stur
Jun 13, 2008

chasin' tail

CharlestheHammer posted:

I don’t want to engage in that discussion it’s pointless, the penalty was called. No amount of bellyaching is going to change that.

What happened afterwards is something you can control

Oh okay you should've just said you're boring and dont really care about this sport then my bad.

Guido Merkens
Jun 18, 2003

The price of greatness is responsibility.
https://youtu.be/240I9sOqrAE?si=4VhURrIZ2xrostgK

I just want to watch the world burn.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

CharlestheHammer posted:

Whether the lions win or lose this game doesn’t really change whether they are good or not.

I think they are a fine if inconsistent team

Last year, you said they'd be a 3-win team again and they tripled their wins. This year you said they'd suck in the first half of the year and have to make a comeback again, and they won the division handily.

You also said the same kinda stuff about the Bears and they doubled their wins and have a chance to get to 8! I think you might just be a bad judge of this stuff.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

facialimpediment posted:

ESPN's ref analyst said it's an unreviewable thing and the onus is on the player to make sure that the ref reports it correctly

The amount of backbending he was doing to support that ref was commendable. Even he said the ref hosed it up though.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I keep seeing people say they should have gone for the XP after the missed 2. But isn't the rule that once you go for the 2 you have to keep doing it until it succeeds or fails? You can no longer kick the XP at that point?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

AndrewP posted:

I guess if Goff was REALLY on his toes he should have caused a delay of game if he heard the wrong number over the loudspeaker. but I really don't think that should be their responsibility once you report to a ref

The refs would have absolutely enforced the five yards on the DOG penalty and the Lions would have ended up in the same spot.

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

might be time to make all things reviewable

RandomHodge
Jul 5, 2007
I’m sorry I just don’t buy “the refs hosed up and the lions didn’t correct it” as a defense of flagging that play. The onus is on the officials to call the loving game correctly, that’s their one and only job

Again, not defending what happened after the bad call

Master Stur
Jun 13, 2008

chasin' tail

MJeff posted:

Last year, you said they'd be a 3-win team again and they tripled their wins. This year you said they'd suck in the first half of the year and have to make a comeback again, and they won the division handily.

You also said the same kinda stuff about the Bears and they doubled their wins and have a chance to get to 8! I think you might just be a bad judge of this stuff.

I keep saying this guy obviously doesnt watch the games nor cares about this sport!!!

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

YOLOsubmarine posted:

The refs would have absolutely enforced the five yards on the DOG penalty and the Lions would have ended up in the same spot.

it's true but maybe you can use that play again

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

facialimpediment posted:

Dumbass ref is convinced 70 reported, which will be fun when he gets film:

https://twitter.com/calvinwatkins/status/1741329621113594328?t=88HTJDddqL6dEjEMuYgVtQ&s=19

This is so obviously and blatantly on the refs

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Long and short of it is that the Lions got absolutely hosed. There's really nothing else to say.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Long and short of it is that the Lions got absolutely hosed. There's really nothing else to say.

There is if you're dumb as gently caress.

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

Dicks out for the Lions

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Acebuckeye13 posted:

dont loving ruin this content for me

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

MJeff posted:

Aren’t we all really. Though I don’t remember ever saying any specific win total

Though do you want me to say I was wrong? Because sure I was wrong

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

thank you mods for letting this thread play out, I've enjoyed it

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i think thje lions having three guys go up and two of them pretend to report is what hosed everything up. either the ref thought the wrong guy reported or the wrong guy actually did report and that's why when the lineman caught the touchdown you could see he was very sheepish about it initially rather than extremely excited. go ahead and look if you didn't catch that; it's very clear, though he does get into it after a couple seconds which could either be the awkwardness of even being able to catch a touchdown in the first place or believing he got away with it. hope everyone has a good day tomorrow

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Grittybeard posted:

Jim Joyce apologized and was basically in tears after the game. The next day, Armando Galarraga handed him the Tigers lineup card (and Joyce was basically in tears again) and the two shook hands for the crowd to see.

Then the two wrote a book together and whenever talk has bubbled up about asking MLB to award Galarraga a perfect game, Joyce has always spoken in favor of it. The dude basically went as far and above as possible to own it.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Waltzing Along posted:

I keep seeing people say they should have gone for the XP after the missed 2. But isn't the rule that once you go for the 2 you have to keep doing it until it succeeds or fails? You can no longer kick the XP at that point?

No, they can change the call after the foul. They'd just have to kick from the 20

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Cavauro posted:

i think thje lions having three guys go up and two of them pretend to report is what hosed everything up. either the ref thought the wrong guy reported or the wrong guy actually did report and that's why when the lineman caught the touchdown you could see he was very sheepish about it initially rather than extremely excited. go ahead and look if you didn't catch that; it's very clear, though he does get into it after a couple seconds which could either be the awkwardness of even being able to catch a touchdown in the first place or believing he got away with it. hope everyone has a good day tomorrow

you too. any big plans for nye?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

take a big crap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

cowboys suck