Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will it?
Yes
No
View Results

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
it's a clunky mess of an interface and syncing broke at least once on my personal folder in the couple hours i was using it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
ah, Linux

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Sometimes glFenceSync() or glFlush() take about 1 second to complete

:toot:

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

infernal machines posted:

it's a clunky mess of an interface and syncing broke at least once on my personal folder in the couple hours i was using it

ah, but there is one guy out there for whom it works perfectly, so just exactly replicate his setup before you complain

(note that this setup will have twelve other things you need broken, but there are at least then twelve other setups where those work, and all you need to do is by exhaustive bisection try to find a midpoint where all things happen to work at once)

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
that is roughly my experience with linux on the desktop, yes.

sometimes there are mutually exclusive dependancies for one or more of those scenarios

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

seems mostly related to intel's dogshit graphics drivers more than anything else tbh

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

seems mostly related to intel's dogshit graphics drivers more than anything else tbh

possible, but it seems a fairly brave guess that the driver blocking on a fence setup by kwin is probably the driver just being dumb

e: i mean, no real idea, but blocking on glSyncFence is at the very least exactly what the call exists to do.

also i will note that absolutely no company has spent longer, more time, money and general effort producing drivers for linux. ever. the i915 driver has been around for 20 years this year (introduced in linux 2.6, paid for in full by intel), and has during that time been the standard choice for getting graphics on linux actually reliably functioning.

which is not to say that it is good. just that all the others are worse and graphics on linux has a proud tradition of being pretty garbage.

e2: also if that is not already clear i do have a special hatred for the open source fan blubbering about how every company is letting the great open source efforts down, as far a roi nvidia for sure took a more correct route than intel.

Cybernetic Vermin fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jan 3, 2024

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

huh. never knew there was an interpreter for llvm ir. then again languages aren't my specialty and it's been like 5 years since i last did anything with llvm/clang and that was basically just getting an ast to do code generation with, so nowhere near the back end. still, good to know

it's really pretty cool but i don't have much experience with it, for me it's mainly a quick n' dirty way of getting compiled c/++ to run on ios

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

e2: also if that is not already clear i do have a special hatred for the open source fan blubbering about how every company is letting the great open source efforts down, as far a roi nvidia for sure took a more correct route than intel.

the nouveau drivers have been hilariously broken on every piece of hardware i've ever tried them on. i've had about 70% success with the closed source drivers, with the other 30% of the time just rendering the system unable to boot due to some variety of kernel issue, across multiple distros.

i think system 76's pop_os is the first time poo poo "just worked" with an nvidia chipset for me, and their last update was 2022

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
the closed source drivers have always been fine for me. try using kubuntu or xubuntu or something, ubuntu is basically the one distro pretty much everyone "supports" (although that means you can also get by with debian if you want)

e: and yeah i've been using intel's clear linux lately and like it a lot, but i haven't tried it with nvidia hardware. they do have the closed source driver in the dnf repo though, maybe give making a live usb a try? i use rufus for that on windows, and intel has instructions for doing it yourself with dd on the download page

e2: huh, i guess the site is broken. they did, lol

here's an archive link, https://web.archive.org/web/20230921091653/https://clearlinux.org/clear-linux-documentation/get-started/bootable-usb.html

also includes instructions for using etcher i guess, but i've never used that

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jan 3, 2024

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

also i will note that absolutely no company has spent longer, more time, money and general effort producing drivers for linux. ever. the i915 driver has been around for 20 years this year (introduced in linux 2.6, paid for in full by intel), and has during that time been the standard choice for getting graphics on linux actually reliably functioning.

which is not to say that it is good. just that all the others are worse and graphics on linux has a proud tradition of being pretty garbage.

i've solved that issue by only using linux for console/backend stuff and, above all else, never ever doing any graphics programming on linux. worked pretty well so far

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Beeftweeter posted:

e2: huh, i guess the site is broken. they did, lol

lol.

to be clear though, i am capable of building a live boot environment for linux, that is not a difficulty for me

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

lol.

to be clear though, i am capable of building a live boot environment for linux, that is not a difficulty for me

oh i know you are, and even though that was directed at you, there's a few people itt that have basically said they don't know how that might be interested

clear is actually surprisingly user-friendly, but unfortunately with a liveusb i think you need to use gnome (i've never been able to get rufus's persistent storage to work with it, but otoh never cared enough to troubleshoot it, either). luckily they have packages for pretty much any window manager worth using too though

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Beeftweeter posted:

there's a few people itt that have basically said they don't know how that might be interested

i think encouraging self harm is bannable

clear looks okay, but idk about flatpack support in general, and "linux, but with telemetry" isn't really appealing to me conceptually.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

maybe amd can release a distro that's almost identical but also has a few critical oversights that make it impractical to use for entirely different use cases

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i love the general idea of providing a link to do something, finding the page is missing like a month later, and it turns out one of the maintainers threw a fit and pulled all the resources and maybe you can find a mirror, but it's basically unsupported going forward.

it's like the essence of the using foss experience

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

i think encouraging self harm is bannable

clear looks okay, but idk about flatpack support in general, and "linux, but with telemetry" isn't really appealing to me conceptually.

you can turn off the telemetry through the installer, and you don't need to use flatpak. the default package manager is some intel garbage called swupd, but you don't need to use that either, except to install new builds of clear. well that and dnf (which is fedora's package manager)

here's a post from the linux thread where i gave instructions on how to do that (by default it doesn't come configured with intel's repo) https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3617481&perpage=40&pagenumber=1041#post536741331

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

the nouveau drivers have been hilariously broken on every piece of hardware i've ever tried them on. i've had about 70% success with the closed source drivers, with the other 30% of the time just rendering the system unable to boot due to some variety of kernel issue, across multiple distros.

i think system 76's pop_os is the first time poo poo "just worked" with an nvidia chipset for me, and their last update was 2022

nouveau has never been good, and development has basically been nonexistant for years since nvidia increasingly walled themselves off to the point that you needed to sign an nda just to view shader disassembly in debug tools. they would eventually enable new hardware as nvidia threw the necessary bits over the fence, but all it really did was allow a hardware accelerated desktop for the couple of minutes that it took to install the closed driver. that's changing with nvk and nvidia opening things up again, but at this point, most of the legacy parts of nouveau are probably considered to be a lost cause

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jan 3, 2024

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

there's probably some weird interaction when flushing while waiting on a fence. in general, there is almost no reason for an application to ever call glFlush()/glFinish(). in fact, a lot of drivers silently make them no-ops, because applications have misused them so much over the years

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
thanks to shadowhawk for making all this possible

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

George posted:

thanks to shadowhawk for making all this possible

wine is honestly, legitimately pretty great now

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

wine is not excellent

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

goodluckFlush()

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

unfortunately my wife reclaimed my laptop for some work that requires windows, but otoh I did obtain a steam deck so 2024 year of Linux on the handheld

3des these nuts
Nov 10, 2023
i switched to pop_os from windows on two lenovos and it's been pretty great outside of needing to unmount cifs before going into suspend and remounting on resume. 2024 is gonna be the one, else face bing copilot up your rear end

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

3des these nuts posted:

it's been pretty great outside of needing to unmount cifs before going into suspend and remounting on resume

lmao

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

oh don't worry, they make edge for linux so you can bing for business up your rear end there too

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

linux: it's pretty great except for all the problems

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
well that's true for computers as a whole, though

ok i lied, computers are just plain terrible

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

3des these nuts posted:

i switched to pop_os from windows on two lenovos and it's been pretty great outside of needing to unmount cifs before going into suspend and remounting on resume. 2024 is gonna be the one, else face bing copilot up your rear end

https://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/latest/systemd.automount.html

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

yeah there's a billion easy fixes for this

you could set up a cron job even

or, hell, mount cifs in the efi shell and make it available to everything

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
ur mom gave me a cron job

right on schedule, every day

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

ur mom gave me a cron job

right on schedule, every day

the only mom you ever disappointed like clockwork was your own

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
my mother does want to kill() me

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
wish your dad had redirected to /dev/null

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

ewww why is /dev sticky again

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

wine is not excellent

ya im more of a bourbon and gin fan myself

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Poopernickel posted:

2024 will be a bad year for desktop Linux. with ubuntu's pending implosion over snappification

what’s this snappification is it to do with snapchat

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Beeftweeter posted:

it's really not a huge move from macos (which is BSD), and now windows includes linux with WSL. no excuse

clsssic linux based response, which is the blame the user

linux is the victim blaming os

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
that’s right there are no linux users, only linux victims