Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will it?
Yes
No
View Results

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

linux? in my vagina? it's more likely than you think!

linux has hosed me before, but not like that

also, username post combo etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

it is honestly real weird that neither the android or chromeos userland infrastructure became the logical underpinning for linux on the desktop.

i mean, in yospos we make fun of at least android a lot, but it for sure has a lot of extremely expensively engineered modern infrastructure that seems like it would have been way easier to just pick up rather than redo.

honest question because i'm not familiar enough with it, but isn't samsung dex just an extrapolation of android into a "desktop interface?" when dex first came out i largely expected it to eventually make its way onto samsung laptops as an alternative to windows that could run galaxy store and play store apps

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

it is honestly real weird that neither the android or chromeos userland infrastructure became the logical underpinning for linux on the desktop.

i mean, in yospos we make fun of at least android a lot, but it for sure has a lot of extremely expensively engineered modern infrastructure that seems like it would have been way easier to just pick up rather than redo.

rotten fruit from a lovely tree

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

firefox

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

infernal machines posted:

rotten fruit from a lovely tree

but enough about your gene pool

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
consider it a cautionary tale

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
get this, i just installed some games and played them immediately on my linux desktop, no tinkering

:2bong:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

lmao

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

Mr. Crow posted:

get this, i just installed some games and played them immediately on my linux desktop, no tinkering

:2bong:

hell, same

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Beeftweeter posted:

you've been able to manually enable this in chrome://flags for a long time, at least on chromeos

you're talking about x11, not wayland

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

enabling a flag in chrome doesn't mean it will actually do anything

and yes, even if it says "video acceleration: enabled" in chrome://gpu

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
video wasn't meant to be accelerated, watch it at normal speed. they have played us for fools

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

George posted:

hell, same

same!!!

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I cannot loving BELIEVE I didn't experience teh joy of a package manager until last year

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

ziasquinn posted:

I cannot loving BELIEVE I didn't experience teh joy of a package manager until last year

god drat welcome to civilization

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

i would like 1 linuc

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Tankakern posted:

you're talking about x11, not wayland

chromeos doesn't include x11 at all. like, even xwayland poo poo doesn't work out of the box (without crew/chromebrew anyway, which afaik doesn't work at all since they disallow sudo now)

i think if you install the stupid crostini linux vm subsystem it might, but that for sure uses wayland so it'd be xwayland anyway

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jan 7, 2024

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
like i don't understand why chromeos decided to go the vm route at all

it's linux! just containerize everything, it works fine on android (using termux)!

despite being barebones the vms are soooo slow on chromebook hw

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
containers are not a security boundary and that might cause Rights Holders to have the sads :(

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Sapozhnik posted:

containers are not a security boundary and that might cause Rights Holders to have the sads :(

you can screen/audio record drm'd content from the vms. i think that's worse

there's even native chromeos audio/video subsystem debug tools to do this that get installed with a default installation, i don't think you even need to enable developer mode to get them

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Branch Nvidian posted:

the biggest problem with linux is how impenetrable it seems to people not already versed in it. someone might be fed up with windows or macos, but they can’t just move to linux, there’s picking debian or red hat or whatever and then picking what flavor of that distribution you want and then picking an operating environment

people just want to shitpost and watch youtube, not build their own os. and linux nerds acting like dickheads to people with basic questions for not already knowing the answers doesn’t help things

People who just want to shitpost and watch YouTube don't need a general purpose computer or operating system and should get a chromebook

In fact I think "the year of Linux on the desktop" or whatever is approaching as people realize this and PCs become more expensive specialty products used by people who actually need them, it's not that everyone will start using linux but that many people who use windows will just leave the PC market

e: however this means PCs will also shoot up in price massively so :pcgaming: will become even more bourgeois than it already is and a lot of people will be priced out of modern AAA gaming on PC (including me :smith:)

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jan 7, 2024

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Woolie Wool posted:

People ... don't need a ... computer ...

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

pretty much true really, most people hate computers and only use them because they have to

Sapozhnik posted:

wine works for precisely the bits of the win32 api that are necessary for video games (empty user32 window for dxvk to work with, input apis, sound apis, file io, network io, whatever hokey crap denuvo does under the hood).

for everything else it is unusable garbage

my 20 year old german image editor that I refuse to switch away from also works fine under wine, it's at this point probably much less powerful than Krita (much less photoshop :lmao:) but it's what I'm used to and it works about as well as it works under windows

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jan 7, 2024

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Woolie Wool posted:

People who just want to shitpost and watch YouTube don't need a general purpose computer or operating system and should get a chromebook

In fact I think "the year of Linux on the desktop" or whatever is approaching as people realize this and PCs become more expensive specialty products used by people who actually need them, it's not that everyone will start using linux but that many people who use windows will just leave the PC market

e: however this means PCs will also shoot up in price massively so :pcgaming: will become even more bourgeois than it already is and a lot of people will be priced out of modern AAA gaming on PC (including me :smith:)

this is all accurate but also ive had more and more non-gamer friends or historically console gamer friends buying a pc recently than before so somehow its also wrong. maybe my circle of friends is just all old and thus has more expendable money?

or more likely console kinda suck lately and nearly everything releases on console and pc?

i thi k this is part of valves reasoning for the steam deck, as it get more expensive having something portable and cheap to remove that barrier to entry will help in the long run

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

my gaming pc is 7 years old and could well be twice that when I finally build a new one, assuming the next economic calamity doesn't put me on the streets/in one of Emperor Trump's concentration camps

that said, it plays games a drat sight better (even under linux :newlol:) than a 7 year old pc from earlier times

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Linux = Good

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

ziasquinn posted:

Linux = Good

it is a piece of poo poo

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Android is a Linux; billions of people use it as their primary computer machine. Ergo: It's already the year of Linux on the Desktop.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

ziasquinn posted:

Linux = Good

for a clown to use, at the failure circus

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

FlapYoJacks posted:

Android is a Linux; billions of people use it as their primary computer machine. Ergo: It's already the year of Linux on the Desktop.

:wow:

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

bad news, league is getting yanked off linux on the desktop

https://twitter.com/PC_Focus_/status/1743587148941410400

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

it is a piece of poo poo

Sweevo posted:

for a clown to use, at the failure circus

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

it is a piece of poo poo

you really need to get that monitor of yours fixed

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Pinterest Mom posted:

lol vanguard is that flaming garbage that basically requires you to turn off all of an operating system's security features to run. even on windows it requires you to disable the shadow stack, and the troubleshooting guide basically reads "if it still doesn't work, turn off antivirus, defender, any anti-malware, and maybe run everything as administrator just to be safe". it's not even something that starts with the game, it runs at startup and is constantly in the background

it sounds worse than that starforce garbage from the 00s

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Pinterest Mom posted:

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Pinterest Mom posted:

well yeah. open source operating systems are insecure by default and open the door wide open for cheaters

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I tried dual booting ubuntu, and intaller I got had a known bug where telling it to install over a particular partition would instead reformat the whole drive, which they helpfully didn't mention on the download page.

Which ended any interest i had in using linux because Bill never pulled that poo poo on me.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Pinterest Mom posted:

oh no! anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

the saddest thing is that this implies that there are people who have so little going on in their lives, that they have nothing better to do than cheat in online bideo james

i mean, i was 16 once too, but even as an immature, socially stunted, dateless weirdo, i still had better things to do with my time