Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will it?
Yes
No
View Results

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
kde still strikes me as fundamentally "what if windows explorer was an oss project" and as terrible as that sounds, it's still preferable to whatever the gently caress gnome has been doing for the last decade or so

also, better in a lot of ways than whatever the gently caress microsoft has been doing with windows 11, and really since windows 8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Sapozhnik posted:

also enjoying the fact that we've forked the linux thread for absolutely no reason, in the grand tradition of linux things

this one includes a poll

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

infernal machines posted:

kde still strikes me as fundamentally "what if windows explorer was an oss project" and as terrible as that sounds, it's still preferable to whatever the gently caress gnome has been doing for the last decade or so

also, better in a lot of ways than whatever the gently caress microsoft has been doing with windows 11, and really since windows 8

i use gnome as my daily driver but have been messing with kde more in a vm for a project lately and agree w all of this.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

you can also make kde look and more or less function exactly like windows 10, 11, 7 or xp (or earlier)

as dumb as it might sound i think there is some value in that

gnome is really pretty bad now though yeah. it's easy to use it the way they intended, but that way sucks. reconfiguring it in any way involves hacks that may or may not work consistently

e: you can make kde look and work like macos/finder too, for what its worth. most people probably use xfce4 for that though

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jan 6, 2024

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

echinopsis posted:

clsssic linux based response, which is the blame the user

linux is the victim blaming os

I'm starting the Victims of Linux Memorial Foundation. Feel free to Venmo me your donations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Beeftweeter posted:

as dumb as it might sound i think there is some value in that

there's a lot of value if you've been using windows for 30 years and don't feel like deciphering gnome's "tasks" metaphor

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

there's a lot of value if you've been using windows for 30 years and don't feel like deciphering gnome's "tasks" metaphor

you could find someone that's never used linux before, have them use kde with a kde theme for their preferred version of windows, open up chrome, edge or firefox and they probably wouldn't notice unless they're extremely familiar with windows naming conventions for settings and the like (control panel etc.) or until they tried using a specific program

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i tend to use xfce if i build a project system for something and there's a distro build that uses it stock

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
yeah xfce is good too, you're probably talking about xubuntu

you can make it pretty similar to windows 9x or xp, but there's no transparency so it can't do windows vista or 7 very well, although since windows 10 and 11 don't do aero there's themes for them too. the built in menu widgets don't really emulate any specific version of windows start menu though, it's a (imo pretty nice to use) approximation of like, windows 7 + 10. in contrast, kde has widgets that can basically completely copy a certain version's, even if they're not exact reproductions

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

depending on what i'm building i will pick a specific distro that will work with the hardware or the packages i need without having to hammer my balls, it's not always an ubuntu/derivative

if xfce is available for it and i don't have to gently caress with poo poo to get it working, that's usually what i'll use, but it depends on the use case.

if i were migrating my main workstation to linux i'd use kde, but that's not something i'm doing anytime soon.

i'm still waiting for hdr support. supposedly it's working now in plasma 6 with nvidia drivers. which is great, but also, lmao if i'm going to use a pre-release window manager

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
i didn't feel like figuring out how to set up east asian language input under KDE and it works ootb under gnome so :shrug:

sometimes i do find myself wanting to minimize things in gnome but on the whole it seems to stay out of my way, and Meta+Home/End/PgUp/PgDn lets me zoom around virtual desktops quickly.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
xfce is good for a Linux because instead of trying to Reimagine the Desktop or whatever it’s just a computer

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
gnome peaked at 2.0

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I love Linux and used it as my main system for all of 2023'with no fall back OS ama

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

ziasquinn posted:

I love Linux and used it as my main system for all of 2023'with no fall back OS ama

what made you see the light and stop using it in 2024?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

ziasquinn posted:

gross

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

mostly discord streaming doesn't work, replay buffer was slow, and VR was finicky

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

ziasquinn posted:

mostly discord streaming doesn't work, replay buffer was slow, and VR was finicky

video and audio. linux's achillies' heel

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

vr is a ridiculous pile of jank on windows, to the extent that i've played around with my old ocuclus dev kit on various linux, it hasn't worked at all, but for the usual reasons involving a bunch of variously supported generally eol hardware

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

vr is a ridiculous pile of jank on windows

the oculus/meta stuff seems to work fine. god help you if you need the windows mixed reality stuff for your headset

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
that seems like an easy problem to solve by just ignoring vr

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

akadajet posted:

video and audio. linux's achillies' heel

if discord cared about us freaks they'd enable hardware acceleration already

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

that seems like an easy problem to solve by just ignoring vr

well. standalone vr is good now so.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

ziasquinn posted:

if discord cared about us freaks they'd enable hardware acceleration already

since discord is just chromium afaik (disclaimer: i don't use discord), can't you just manually enable it?

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

The pull request for Chromium to allow accelerated video decoding using VA-API on Wayland has been merged

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

finally catching up to what chrome on windows has supported for decades

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

akadajet posted:

finally catching up to what chrome on windows has supported for decades

chrome hasn't existed for decades

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

The_Franz posted:

it has in our hearts and souls

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
did opera support hardware acceleration? i bet it did

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

your mom supported hardware acceleration

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

outhole surfer posted:

your mom supported hardware acceleration

we have another thread for subjects like the embedded linux code running on their mom’s sex toy

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

The_Franz posted:

decade then lol (I have no idea how long it actually has supported hardware acceleration)

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

we have another thread for subjects like the embedded linux code running on their mom’s sex toy

linux? in my vagina? it's more likely than you think!

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

you've been able to manually enable this in chrome://flags for a long time, at least on chromeos

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

ChromeOS has been home grown Freon for the most part, neither X11 nor Wayland, and as they control the entire stack it's already permitted to use video and other forms of graphics acceleration.

https://medium.com/joone/using-the-chrome-os-graphics-stack-on-intel-based-linux-desktops-38f56f2ed6e4

That ticket is probably a blocker for Lacros to support Wayland though, which is where they want to move to. Pretty much like Android shipping the WebView via the App Store.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2023/08/google-is-finally-separating-chrome-from-chromeos-for-easier-updates/

Which is annoying as I have a long standing bug with MacOS, Linux, and Android that is still in the developers "important" bug list and doesn't affect ChromeOS nor Windows.

i.e. Chrome had since 2017 a flag to enable VA-API, but ChromeOS always had preferential treatment compared to Linux which had everything blacklisted by default. Like Chrome 89 by accident had VA-API enabled, then only since ~100 or somewhere did it come back with a massive video subsystem rewrite. It's quite a messy history and still quite hosed up today.

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jan 6, 2024

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

linux? in my vagina? it's more likely than you think!

lmao

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

nice, want all those popup modals and ads animating smooth as possible while the cpu runs 9001 trackers in the background

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

everyone should ditch wayland and go back to the clearly superior x11

https://sprocketfox.io/xssfox/2021/12/02/xrandr/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

MrMoo posted:

ChromeOS has been home grown Freon for the most part, neither X11 nor Wayland, and as they control the entire stack it's already permitted to use video and other forms of graphics acceleration.

https://medium.com/joone/using-the-chrome-os-graphics-stack-on-intel-based-linux-desktops-38f56f2ed6e4

That ticket is probably a blocker for Lacros to support Wayland though, which is where they want to move to. Pretty much like Android shipping the WebView via the App Store.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2023/08/google-is-finally-separating-chrome-from-chromeos-for-easier-updates/

Which is annoying as I have a long standing bug with MacOS, Linux, and Android that is still in the developers "important" bug list and doesn't affect ChromeOS nor Windows.

i.e. Chrome had since 2017 a flag to enable VA-API, but ChromeOS always had preferential treatment compared to Linux which had everything blacklisted by default. Like Chrome 89 by accident had VA-API enabled, then only since ~100 or somewhere did it come back with a massive video subsystem rewrite. It's quite a messy history and still quite hosed up today.

it is honestly real weird that neither the android or chromeos userland infrastructure became the logical underpinning for linux on the desktop.

i mean, in yospos we make fun of at least android a lot, but it for sure has a lot of extremely expensively engineered modern infrastructure that seems like it would have been way easier to just pick up rather than redo.