Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: muscles like this!)

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I don’t think it’s an American vs. British thing, British characters are often a lot more flawed, but that doesn’t stop the protagonist from being likable.
Dave Lister on Red Dwarf is a bum, and ultimately very flawed, but beneath all that he is essentially a good person, you could even argue that he is heroic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

oh jay posted:

I prefer murals of Asian Jesus personally.

Jesus is always Asian, he was born there lol. Plus he could've walked all over the place if he wanted, might have, very bad records all around. Then again I suppose in his thirties he gained the power to walk on water so maybe he did walk over to the Americas. However, most people agree Jesus was a generally good dude and combined with his claims of omniscience, he would know better than to do such a cruel thing like introduce what he knew would eventually become Paul's awful religion.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Supporting cast of Knuckles is very British.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Oasx posted:

I don’t think it’s an American vs. British thing, British characters are often a lot more flawed, but that doesn’t stop the protagonist from being likable.
Dave Lister on Red Dwarf is a bum, and ultimately very flawed, but beneath all that he is essentially a good person, you could even argue that he is heroic.

Bottom
The Young Ones
Even things from much earlier like the Rise and Fall of Reginald Perrin or Porridge or Rising Damp or all sorts of things are all about "Look at how poo poo these people are".
Lister is an Everyman Hero in his way, pretty different from what you'd usually get.

Always Sunny is one of the few US shows I think that follows our traditions of comedy rather than US ones.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://x.com/discussingfilm/status/1784004878643212569?s=46

I love our new analytics based overlords

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

muscles like this! posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6ucGt_Xp14
Trailer for Apple TV's adaption of the Blake Crouch novel, Dark Matter. While this is a multiverse story if it follows the book it'll tackle some interesting consequences of infinite universes.

I just finished the book less than a half hour ago, and this looks great. Got some exposition-giving characters to tell the streaming audiences what was in Jason's thoughts, and there are a lot of flashes of scenes straight from the book. The major difference seems to be giving Daniela her own agency and story while Jason's doing his thing. Really, really curious how they're going to do the third act.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yeah kind of looks like there will be more check ins with the family than the book.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

One of my favorite dumb TV bits is when characters will talk about a show or a movie with a real name but then you either hear or see it and it is some weird fake thing.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

One of my favorite dumb TV bits is when characters will talk about a show or a movie with a real name but then you either hear or see it and it is some weird fake thing.

It was a pretty great gag in House MD where he had been watching a fake soap opera for a bit, and then he notices some bullshit symptom on the main character of the fake show and kidnaps them because House can't lose his precious soap. So House can fix them back up.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

That reminds me of the one where he ties up his angry neighbour and forcibly cures his phantom limb pain. How many other kidnappings did he do? Angry cop?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Like the The Cat On A Hot Tin Roof gag from Bojack? Yeah, that poo poo owns.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

It's not really the same thing, but House treats prison inmates a few times and it's a power dynamic thing. And one time a rape victim "kidnaps" House in the sense that she wants to talk to him and him alone, and House obviously doesn't like this since it isn't "interesting", but they wind up being sort-of pals, as much as House can be pals with anyone not Wilson.

Does coma guy count? They sort of accidentally wake him up, and he realizes he only has a day to live, so House basically helps euthanize him to let him give his organs to his son. Coma guy consents to everything in this scenario, though, so it's not exactly kidnapping forcibly.

Oh and he drugs Wilson at least twice to do some shenanigans.

He also drugged Cuddy's mom, come to think of it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I have one more episode of Ripley and I’m not quite sure about it and I’m not sold on the back and white.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
you’ve already watched six-sevenths of it, may as well see how it ends

also clearly you aren’t watching on an oled

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

you’ve already watched six-sevenths of it, may as well see how it ends

also clearly you aren’t watching on an oled

Yeah we are going to finish it for sure.

Also no I’m not watching it on an OLED but that shouldn’t be a requirement for a show looking good. Quite a few of the Black and white shots just look really flat.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

MarcusSA posted:

Also no I’m not watching it on an OLED but that shouldn’t be a requirement for a show looking good. Quite a few of the Black and white shots just look really flat.

Can you give some examples with timestamps, or possibly post screenshots? (try turning off screen acceleration if you can't screenshot)

I'd be interested to see what you mean

Problematic Pigeon
Feb 28, 2011
I really love how Ripley looks, but the best thing about the show that I don't see mentioned as often is how loving funny it is. The endless stairs in Atrani, Ripley's blatantly obvious lies, his fumbling efforts at covering up his crimes, the dude named Enzo who has a dog also named Enzo...It's all very dry and deadpan but it's honestly more funny than most comedies I've seen recently.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Been enjoying Fallout but by far my favorite surprise has been seeing Matt Berry and Walton Goggins interact. That's a combination I never thought I'd see.

I actually think Goggins is great in it, which isn't a surprise so much because he's great in general but most of his screentime is him in what I assume is a mix of heavy prosthetics and CGI. This is the first time I've seen Aaron Moten in anything and I think he does a pretty solid job also.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah, Moten is doing some real subtle work, Maximus is a role/performance not like one I've seen before. Interesting character, if one that is going to be naturally overshadowed by the broader appeal of the Ghoul and Lucy. Especially since the ghoul couldn't be more in Goggins' substantial wheelhouse. Finale spoilers When he's confronting Hank in the observatory, and it's just his voice and enough lighting to pick out the edges of his hat while he drawls some cool rear end dialogue....nobody does it like him. I also like the strong contrast in character between 200 yo Ghoul Cooper and normal-aged decent actor and family man Cooper. This may be his most popular project?

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Chairman Capone posted:

Been enjoying Fallout but by far my favorite surprise has been seeing Matt Berry and Walton Goggins interact. That's a combination I never thought I'd see.

I actually think Goggins is great in it, which isn't a surprise so much because he's great in general but most of his screentime is him in what I assume is a mix of heavy prosthetics and CGI. This is the first time I've seen Aaron Moten in anything and I think he does a pretty solid job also.

I've typically been kinda of 'eh' on Goggins because he's exactly the kind of dude Goons love to overhype the poo poo out of without ever being more than perfectly adequate in anything I've seen him in but even I have to admit I'm really digging his performance here.

But then that's Fallout overall though, I had zero expectations of liking it (didn't care for the games at all) but I'm loving absurdly wholesome Lucy's adventures through the hosed up wasteland and her demented interactions with everyone. Also, the opener with Goggins cowboy destroyed me because his kid is the most adorable moppet to ever grace the screen and the thought of any remotely awful happening to her is just too awful to think about.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I fully expect her to also live hundreds of years and to be running the Brotherhood or another faction in season 2.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I don’t think I was aware of Goggins before The Last Days of Ptolemy Grey, looking at Wikipedia he has mainly acted in shows I haven’t seen.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well, sounds like you got a whole bunch of good TV to watch then.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Yeah Justified is a must watch for anyone. I'm not a Danny McBride fan but I did enjoy Vice Principals a ton as well.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Sentinel Red posted:

I've typically been kinda of 'eh' on Goggins because he's exactly the kind of dude Goons love to overhype the poo poo out of without ever being more than perfectly adequate in anything I've seen him in but even I have to admit I'm really digging his performance here.

If you're interested in more, try Justified. And Prison Break is a very silly show he's also great in.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Oasx posted:

I don’t think I was aware of Goggins before The Last Days of Ptolemy Grey, looking at Wikipedia he has mainly acted in shows I haven’t seen.

It's funny, I mainly know him from his 'serious' stuff, but looking at his Wikipedia page gave me a similar realization that he has a whole slate of comedy roles I've never seen.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

zoux posted:

Well, sounds like you got a whole bunch of good TV to watch then.

And the last two seasons of Justified. And Sons Of Anarchy.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Obviously his greatest role is Venus Van Dam from Sons of Anarchy but I cannot in good faith recommend anyone watch that show.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
and uncle baby billy in the righteous gemstones, though he’s not every episode

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Medullah posted:

Obviously his greatest role is Venus Van Dam from Sons of Anarchy but I cannot in good faith recommend anyone watch that show.

Ha amazing, I never got that far (I stopped the minute they announced they were going to Ireland as I heard that season stunk) so I never knew that Cletus Van Dam from The Shield had a twin brother.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

He initially had a very small role in Django, but QT loved him so much he expanded it, and then cast him as a lead in Hateful Eight. Same with Justified: supposed to die in the pilot, but he was so good they made him essentially the co-lead. It ain't just "goons" that think he's really good.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

IRQ posted:

If you're interested in more, try Justified. And Prison Break is a very silly show he's also great in.

Not sure who you might have him confused with (maybe Robert Knepper as T-Bag? or William Fichtner?), but he wasn't in Prison Break. But yes, it is a very silly show and fun as hell.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

Ha amazing, I never got that far (I stopped the minute they announced they were going to Ireland as I heard that season stunk) so I never knew that Cletus Van Dam from The Shield had a twin brother .

Ummm Venus is a LADY thank you very much. The Belle who does not tell!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ok, even more amazing!

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I am quite liking Dead Boy Detectives.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

isaboo posted:

Not sure who you might have him confused with (maybe Robert Knepper as T-Bag?

Yes, that's what happened. I could've sworn that was Goggins.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

zoux posted:

He initially had a very small role in Django, but QT loved him so much he expanded it, and then cast him as a lead in Hateful Eight. Same with Justified: supposed to die in the pilot, but he was so good they made him essentially the co-lead. It ain't just "goons" that think he's really good.

When does he come back to Justified? I tried to get into the show but so far there hasn’t been enough Goggins. I’m only five episodes in at this point.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I’ll see if I can find take some screenshots of what I didn’t care about Ripley later but the show should have been 6 episodes.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

cryptoclastic posted:

When does he come back to Justified? I tried to get into the show but so far there hasn’t been enough Goggins. I’m only five episodes in at this point.

He’s a regular from season 2 on. From what I remember of the first season, he’s mostly in the second half of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Paramount Global kicked their top CEO out and isn't replacing him with a new one, establishing an "Office of the CEO" instead with 3 execs. They are the CEOs of CBS,
Showtime/MTV, and Paramount Pictures/Nickelodeon.
https://deadline.com/2024/04/shari-redstone-paramount-memo-george-cheeks-chris-mccarthy-brian-robbins-bob-bakish-exit-1235899097/

quote:

As you know, Bob Bakish is stepping down from his role as CEO and from the Board, capping a 27-year career at Paramount.

With Bob’s departure, we have created an Office of the CEO. This Office will be comprised of three very talented senior Paramount Global executives: George Cheeks, President and CEO of CBS; Chris McCarthy, President and CEO, Showtime/MTV Entertainment Studios and Paramount Media Networks; and Brian Robbins, President and CEO of Paramount Pictures and Nickelodeon, and they be will working closely with Naveen Chopra, CFO, and the Board of Directors.

Seems like a pretty clear sign that a merger is going to happen really soon.

Oh, and this is hilarious.

https://www.ign.com/articles/paramount-ceo-earnings-mission-impossible-2024

quote:

Chris McCarthy, one of three newly-instated leaders at Paramount, reiterated the main points of the earnings already shared with investors, made some brief comments about their new leadership structure, and then swiftly ended the call after just about nine minutes.

The company did not take questions and, somewhat hilariously, instead loudly played the Mission: Impossible theme song on a loop

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Apr 30, 2024