Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: muscles like this!)

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

The Brothers Sun is the most bingeable show this year so far. Not only has great action and intriguing characters, it has all the nice flourishes of smartly observed familial life. Like it feels real too which is hilarious because the plot and violence is so heightened and absurd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Yup, this was my favorite season of Fargo. Was getting emotional at the end there. Different than how I felt even with the 1st and 2nd seasons. Amazed? Joyful for the writing coming together so well? Yeah. But this was legitmately getting me teary-eyed lol.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

The themes! The themes...

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Minx is killing it. Deep into the second season and it's funnier than ever. Just the right side of being not being too serious while still having great characterizations and plot beats.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

zoux posted:

Unrelated to nudity....or is it: S2 of the Halo show is going to be a soft reboot

There were some good things to take out of s1 (not very many, but some) but on the whole they just need to do the drat story from the games.

But everyone knows streaming execs and producers are way better at telling a story than...writers

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Bright Bart posted:

Check out the movie too. The antagonist is just overpowered like if it were a Jason Statham movie (eww) but he was the villain. Kind of like the murderous clown from the series. Except in this film unlike most where this is the case and the protagonists find some secret to defeating him, here they just kind of have to keep trying until they luck out and "win".

The best thing about it (found the central plot to be a bit unengaging compared to the show, reminded me of the Jupiter jazz arc which is my least fav part of the original run) is that it does an amazing job showing how ordinary people live in that hosed up universe, a sci fi dystopia that feels way more realistic than Star Trek.

And the nearly god like animation and fights.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

GreenNight posted:

I liked the show a lot but also never watched the anime.

Jesus christ

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

mystes posted:

drat just directing a bunch of pilots and raking in the cash would be nice

That's called doing a JJ Abrams

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Bright Bart posted:

Fifteen minutes ago I asked my chef pal if he watches The Bear or Boiling Point. He gave a fairly emphatic no.

I lived with two other chefs in my time and they didn't watch these types of shows. And I don't talk to a third but I doubt he would.

Makes sense. Doctors don't watch medical fiction (key word). Do lawyers watch Suits or Rake?

Of course professionals watch shows of their jobs as long as it's good and isn't too silly about it, alot of these shows have good consultants. Like I've heard Scrubs has some realistic points to it amidst the silliness, and some of the David Kelly shows have some realistic points from my viewpoint.

There really hasn't been a super realistic lawyer show (not a litigator) that I could find other than I don't know movies like a Civil Action or something bc being a lawyer is mostly just pouring over documents and client calls.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

thrawn527 posted:

Lawyer friends of mine say My Cousin Vinny is the most realistic court movie ever made. But I’m not a lawyer. I’m a software developer. Silicon Valley was pretty accurate to my job in the first couple seasons (even using Agile Sprints and things like that), but I stopped watching it after that.

Been a minute since I've seen My Cousin Vinny. But litigating and pretty much any other legal work (like I do) are basically two different jobs. Then the latter category can be broken down by a host of sub jobs only united by being able to research and write well, and having good communication and reasoning skills.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Chubby Henparty posted:

It looked incredibly cold and clinical

Yup that's a Soderbergh joint. Now I gotta check it out

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Chairman Capone posted:

I honestly think Gilderoy Lockhart is Branagh's best role.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

I stopped watching Community after season 3. I feel like S3 was the turning point where the show had really gone up its own rear end and started doing the thing I loving hate in comedies where it becomes very self-referential. Are the later seasons any good?

I just did a post S3 Community watch for the first time a couple years ago, and found it to be pretty alright!

There's a nadir in jokes and cast interactions in the 4th season but there were funny moments even there, and S5 and S6 has some of the best bits of the show (Koogler, for one) though it is far from being as strong episode to episode as S1-3. Still worth watching and forming your opinion on. These episodes do fly by.

e: the main problem is the constant cast changes around Annie, Britta, Jeff and Abed, epecially when they hit on someone really funny (Jonathon Banks, Keith David, Paget Brewster).

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Feb 1, 2024

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1753116548309385500?t=Ch0iRHw6C0QQCDB4v5Ylqw&s=19
They made a Megamind movie and tv series but clearly have no budget for animation or voice actors.

they should have done a Monsters v. Aliens one instead

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

GreenNight posted:

drat. I liked this show. It went places.

gently caress Obliterated was a great show and find. The fucks

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Arist posted:

MvA already had a cartoon spin-off!

My God

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Lost did him wrong

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

https://twitter.com/Picklemaddierix/status/1753508529443332419

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

1glitch0 posted:

Today Chappelle won a Grammy for his most recent stand-up special, so...

That sucks

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Who was he punching down on? What a poo poo dude.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Bright Bart posted:

I don't remember. I am quite sure he did though. I was going to post a list of the people he insults without being funny (at least to me) even aside from the jokes being offensive. There were a handful of groups. Enough that it made up the bulk of his set without it being a 'See? I make fun over everyone!" deal. Which would also not have been funny.

But when I woke up I forgot most of them. I don't think that's my fault. I think that if he wanted to make me think he failed.

Either way that's a win for you

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

thrawn527 posted:

John Mayer was on Conan's podcast recently, and without naming names, they went into the weird mindset that exists for people who work on SNL. Conan is pretty easy on them, for understandable reasons, but it's still an interesting look into the competitive and bizarre world that SNL must be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbmFQ6yW0UQ

The short short version is that it's super competitive, and you don't necessarily root for your friends there. Conan said that when he worked on The Simpsons, you'd be hoping someone would help you with a scene, because it was a collaborative effort. But at SNL, you either sink or swim on your own merits. You either come up with a good line on your own, or you're gone. So that creates a bunch of siloed off assholes (that last part is not his words, but how I see it), and they take that view into other places, and they don't tend to respect other people who didn't "serve in the trenches".

Conan says this isn't bad. I think he's trying to be kind to his friends. This sounds pretty bad, especially when the end result is what SNL has been lately. And even Conan said (again, without naming names) he experienced the same thing meeting people from previous SNL casts.

It doesn't seem to be that complicated to me. Add the weird nervous defensive assholery of any elite and well paying job staffed by people Type A enough to claw their way in or lucky enough to be born into it, to the instinctual and reflexive abrasiveness and the awkward and somewhat cruel observational patter of any comedian you might strike a conversation with, and you get what I imagine it's like to go to a SNL party lol

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

GreenNight posted:

It's the same as Michael Che keeps saying Trump is gonna win. gently caress right off with that bullshit.

Not to make this too political but anyone looking at polling could say the same.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

GreenNight posted:

The polling where only olds are polled? Come on.

This is the TV thread so I'm not gonna get too deep into it but someone saying Trump can win or even is likely to shouldn't be a source of approbation or outrage. Feels like you're misplacing it.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Chubby Henparty posted:

I'm hesitant to say if its good or bad at this stage - like its all going to depend on how well they pull the ending off.

I've just finished S1 of Loki and into S2, its actually amazing and the most out-there comic cosmic craziness since Legion at its kookiest, except without trying to tie in heavy mental health themes (like what TD is also skirting around)

Ends really well too

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

I don’t know what the PWB collab version would have looked like, but imo she definitely could not pull off the version of Jane in the show we got. Maya Erskine crushes it.

Really enjoying this season of Feud. I never saw the movie with PSH but Capote feels like the role Tom Hollander was born to play

Hows the first season?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

I liked it a lot!

Pan Dulce posted:

Susan Sarandon and Jessica Lange have good chemistry, acting-wise, together. Their poisonous volleys at each other made my day when I watched it ages ago.

Cool cool when I want to get Hulu again I'll check it out

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

1glitch0 posted:

oh poo poo i think you're right. i can't even remember if she had a Girl Fight™ with Michelle Rodriguez or not, tho. I remember what stood out about Rousey's fight scene was her absolute lack of charisma even doing the thing she was known for doing irl.

It'd be like stunt casting Gordon Ramsey as a celebrity chef in a movie and then somehow he completely fails at playing a celebrity chef.

Gordon Ramsey was actually funny, albeit playing himself, on a bit in an episode of New Girl.

Which is still a pretty great show

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Ramsay correctly talked poo poo on TV about my neighborhood deli and for that he's alright to me. That place sucks.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Trying to figure out why the UK one sucks so hard and gonna throw a stupid theory out there. The original Drunk History was based off a comedian noticing how earnest and passionate his friends got about history when they got hammered (i.e. Jake Johnson almost crying about Otis Redding dying) and decided to make a show about it including his friends. Mostly it's funny because alcohol breaks through Americans instinctive aversion towards historical knowledge and elitism into something odd and sweet.

The British version, from what I've seen, was a nasty and horrible demonstration of strangers trying to show off their historical knowledge, reinforcing the standard positive images held by many in England regarding historical knowledge justifying elitism. There is no subversion there, its an annoying guy at a party trying to own you with their big brain, which feels like a more European thing to happen than in the States.

Anyway huge generalizations for everyone!

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

he won Master Chef but sadly still has dyslexia

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Lol, "charasmatic"

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

*thinking as hard as I ever have*

Cockmount

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Trent seems like a bore. Crazy that they would center the show around him.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

DogsInSpace! posted:

Wow. Another fan. I still have the dvds I bought in high school in 2004 and rewatch them now and then. Really good show for the exact reasons you mentioned. Well done show that nobody remembers but maybe you and I.

I've been talking about how much I liked Children of Dune for years. James McAvoy! Susan Surandon somehow! Talking about weird sci fi! Weirdly good effects! They actually went to the crazy plot points of the book!

It's real good.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Haven't had a chance to watch it yet, but that was my fear seeing it was written by Peter Harness :sigh:

I liked that Mr.Strange and Nottel show he produced. High quality.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Been watching Resident Evil and now I'm in S2 and it's the best thing I'm watching. Very funny and great. Surprised it's not talked about more.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Lol yeah I did. Woops

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

bull3964 posted:

That's not a sure thing though.

They also recently sold it to Netflix and it's been getting a lot of word of mouth on that platform.

It does feel like it should have a limited run tho. Only so much you can do woth the premise.

But it really is one of the best arguments for turning an idea into a TV showrather than just a movie. Resident Alien as a movie would be funny but kind a cliche. You need episodes to really explore all the nuances and ridiculous things that arise with an alien trying to and inexplicably fitting into human society.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I found the writing and jokes a lot sharper than what I saw from Schitts creek. Like the joke to line ratio is insane and reminds me a little of Seinfeld in an odd way. I find the outside being embraced thing to be a bit saccharine for me sometimes and the show seems to resolutely avoiding it, like by having the main character be partly defined by his blood thirsty hatred of children