Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: muscles like this!)

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
The best show of 2023 is The Curse.
The best show of 2024 is also The Curse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

what even is cable tv anymore.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

X-O posted:

The rumor going around a month or so ago was that they had creative differences because Netflix wanted it pretty much as close to the original as possible and that they wanted to shake some of it up so as not to full on repeat themselves. Which I understand both sides if that's the case. I'm sure the creators don't want to just redo everything they've already done and Netflix has had a number of flops where they've tried to adapt properties and have changed some part of the story at the core that the fans liked. It's clear they're dumping a ton of money on this so I'm sure they want it to not be money wasted.

That's wild to me.

Because yeah, if the Netflix version changed a bunch, people aren't going to say "Oh, neat. The creators wanted to something different with this version." they would have pitchforks and be pissed that "Netflix ruins everything!!!!"

No, I'm not still bitter about the Witcher. :mad:

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

For me, the Cowboy Bebop problems were more than just one thing.

- The tone was... off. It felt like the writers were trying to make the dialog snappy and sarcastic and edgy and it just felt... tryhard?

- I like John Cho but he's not a good Spike. I'm not someone who needs actors who are exactly the age of the characters, but Spike is in his late 20s. John Cho was in his late 40s in the role. He is four years older than Mustafa Shakir, who played Jet - compared to the anime where Jet is nearly 10 years older.

- The anime is very very tightly paced. So they decided to take 24 minute episodes and make them 50+ minutes long. That's a draaaaaaaaaaag.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

I’m still salty about Bebop because Jet’s actor was perfect. Faye’s actor was good but just had terrible material to work with. John Cho is a good actor but not right for Spike.

I'm also someone that thinks they nailed Ed too. The problem was that the tone was so off for the rest of the show that when you have a preview clip of Ed, who feels straight out of the anime, it only further clashes with how the show was presented.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Give me a live action Speed Grapher.

Or live action Monster.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

zoux posted:

jesus christ

If they want to throw out a bunch of money for no reason, they could just put 1% of that in my bank account and I wouldn't complain.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

How would that maximize shareholder profits

They could give me 8 million and keep the other 800+ mil. Seems like a better deal than what they've got going on.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

I want to see Jack Ryan fight Jack Reacher.

Reacher would obviously win.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

I stopped watching Community after season 3. I feel like S3 was the turning point where the show had really gone up its own rear end and started doing the thing I loving hate in comedies where it becomes very self-referential. Are the later seasons any good?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Bright Bart posted:

I was looking for a show that had already finished not to binge but... kind of the opposite. Something I can put on as many times as I want before bed, that will hold my attention and be something I'm at least a little invested in, but that I can turn of half-way through the episode to get back to next time.

Anyways I found Better Things. It was something I had dismissed when it was airing because it looked like one of the many darker family dramadies that came out around the time. Learning that it was a Louis C. K. show didn't help because I didn't actually like Louie. But it's pretty fun.

:lost:

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

"We have Jack of All Trades at home." :colbert:

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Khanstant posted:

and the other side wants to do democracy and give us rights.

[Citation Needed]

Which side is going to end any aid to Israel and cancel all student loans?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

It could be fixed now actually. There’s 0 reason why Joe has to be the default pick.

It’s frustrating and a lot of people are feeling that.

Whenever anyone displays any sort of discontent with the current state of things, the answer is always "well, wait until after the next election." :rolleyes:

GreenNight posted:

It’s too late for that. But it’s fine that women won’t have body autonomy as long as old man Biden doesn’t get in.

You're a loving idiot.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

thrawn527 posted:

And when Jesus shows up, whoo boy, does he do a lot of killing. I'm talking walking through rivers of blood of the people he's killed amounts of killing. (Also, his only lines are directly lifted from the Bible, because the authors didn't feel qualified to write new lines for Jesus. So I guess he's had no original thoughts in the last 2,000 years.)

That series was sort of interesting at the beginning as a post-apocalyptic series, if you could try to ignore the Christianity aspect. But that got harder and harder as it went along (some Jews were safe, but literally only 144,000, and not a single one more). And absolutely impossible for the last book (of the main books, I didn't read the books that came out after Jesus's return).

I remember reading those books because I wanted some schlocky fiction. Booooooooy did they just keep getting worse and worse. My favorite part is how you'd eventually just reach 10+ page sermons in the middle of the books.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

zoux posted:

Christian fiction sucks in retrospect, but I loved me some Frank E Peretti when I was growing up.

Holy poo poo. That's a name I haven't thought about in ages. I remember reading his books "This Present Darkness" and "Piercing the Darkness" and I didn't care about the religious "real world" part of the story. I just wanted the cool fights between angels and demons. They were part small-town religious drama and part fantasy warefare.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

There is a lot of death too. Like we're talking that these authors like killing core characters more than GRRM. But the core series is also 12 books long and the books just draaaaaaaaaaaaaaag at points.

A whole lot of plots just go nowhere too.

One of the most unintentionally funny parts of the series is surrounding this stewardess that tried to seduce the main protag. He was a pilot and almost had an affair with this stewardess (THAT HARLOT!!!!) but then she eventually somehow becomes the main secretary for the Antichrist. She starts to have some doubts about him so he poisons her and the TRIBULATION FORCE (yes, that's what the protags call their group) spend multiple books nursing her back to health. About 60% through the series, the Antrichrist is assassinated but is then ressurected. And at this big gathering, the Antichrist is basically proclaiming himself as god and she appears in the crowd and shouts that he's a liar. So he summons lightning and kills her. The end. I couldn't help but loving laugh. They spend multiple books rehabilitating her and BAM lightning strike dead.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

I was bewildered reading the synopsis of the Left Behind books in this thread and reading multiple posts about the non-Christians living in a utopia where there is no hunger or war or need and then that these were the... bad guys? :psyduck:

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

zoux posted:

Probably the MCU is gonna be pegged on FF and X-men going forward

zoux posted:

be pegged

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Has the Halo show confirmed that Master Chief's suit jacks him off?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Who would win in a fight - Master Chief or REACHER?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

Master Chief beat up some normal guys this season and backhanded one guy so hard he literally went flying.

Yeah, but that's your average Tuesday afternoon for REACHER.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

It blew my mind to learn that the author behind REACHER is loving British.

Yet he made the most US boomer wet dream character. "Yeah, my character is big and tough and can beat up everyone and is also smarter than any scientist and can stop a bullet with his muscles and understands quantum physics and while his mother refers to his older brother by first name, they refer to him by his last name."

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Finally got around to finishing season 1 of REACHER. Absolute peak television. 5/5. No notes. Would not change a thing.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Do yourself a favor and leave it at that, season 2 was a big let down sadly (assuming that we share the exact same tastes, mindset and response to stimuli).

IRQ posted:

Stop there unless you what you wanted was more Reacher shooting guns with his army friends and being a weird sociopath.

I’ve heard that from a few people. I’m not sure if I’ll check our season 2, but for now I’m planning on taking a break to check out Tokyo Vice.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

If you want mindless entertainment it's fine, but the things reacher figures out is borderline magic sometimes and then he does some boomer fantasy move and beats up a bunch of hooligans with no effort.

I mean, that kinda rules though?

To me, REACHER is "What if they took Kiryu and made him an American army vet instead of a former yakuza"

The season 1 finale of the show is one of the few times I've audibly shout in excitement at my TV. At the realization that there are basically three protagonists for the season and going into the final episode... there are three antagonists as well. And they pair them perfectly.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Apparently SHOGUN is reviewing very very very well.

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1762546020351676511

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

Just watched the first episode of Shogun. Not a huge surprise why it is getting rave reviews but what really blew my mind was that Rodrigues was played by Nestor Carbonell.

WELP. Now I'm even more excited to start the show. I did not realize that.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Started Tokyo Vice last night. Only one episode in and already loving it. In just one episode, they've already started giving me everything I want. Really filling the void left from completing LAD8.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

Bad news the first episode is by far the best

:negative:

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Shageletic posted:

What's LAD8

Not much. What’s LAD8 with you?

Like a Dragon 8: Infinite Wealth

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1767623230922145957

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Hear me out....

The fact we have a picture fuckin perfect BJ Blazkowicz in our midst yet no Wolfenstein adaptation in production is a crime.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

GreenNight posted:

I wish it was weekly because I really enjoy weekly discussions on each episode on this here forums. Halo was a lot of fun to discuss.

Yeah, that's my take as well.

I'm hesitant to make broad assumptions, but I wonder how closely the weekly vs binge divide is to the discuss with others vs not divide.

Like, my folks prefer to binge watch series. They will wait until entire seasons are out (or even until the entire series is completed) before they start the very first episode. They'll watch 3-4 episodes a day until they finish the show. They hate weekly releases. But, they also don't talk about the shows they're watching with anyone but each other. And they tend to never engage the shows they watch with any sort of critical lens.

Meanwhile, my wife and I prefer the weekly model. I like time to soak in each episode of a show. Time to let the storylines marinate. I also like to talk about the shows I'm watching with people here and other friends. I enjoy the weekly model because I feel like it gives time for the tension to breathe. Nothing sucks any tension out of a cliffhanger than immediately being able to start the next episode. Hell, even when an entire show/series is out, I tend to pace myself on the show - never more than an episode a night, and rarely more than a couple episodes a week.

:shrug:

theflyingexecutive posted:

I hate binging because it's just nice to be able to participate in the conversation a couple days later and pick up on things you might have missed. I just finished Fallout last night and I feel like the discussion cycle is already over.

That's the other aspect of the binge model I loving hate. There is no space for discussion of individual episodes. The whole show is out day 1 so you better be ready to discuss the entire series day 2.

Mordiceius fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Apr 16, 2024

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

lol well theres your fuckin problem

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Open Source Idiom posted:

I'm guessing you're a one show at a time kind of person? Mum's like that. She's like Mordiceius's parents in that way. She's not like that with books though, which is interesting, but I think she's in a lot of different book clubs and values that discourse more than film or television.

My folks are insane. They watch 3-4 hours of TV every night. And they only watch one show at a time. Then move on to the next. They'll weave in movies, but when it comes to shows, it is a single show until they watch it to completion (which only takes a few days). And then they'll bitch that they have to wait for the next season.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

bull3964 posted:

I'm a watch in bursts kind of person. I only have three episodes of Fallout left, but if it weren't for the Amazon payment clock ticking, it could take me anywhere where from a day to 6 months to finish.

It really all depends on what I have going on and what mood I'm in. I find I am more likely to finish shows that have everything dropped at once rather than weekly because I'll get distracted at some point during the multi-week release of a show and one episode backlog will turn into two will turn into "might as well wait till the season is done" and by that point I was distracted by something new and shiny (may not even be TV related) and I might not get back to the show. None of my friends really watch anything on approaching a regimented schedule, if there's even show overlap, so there no discussion potential there.

More points to my theory that people who have preference for the binge watch model are probably not spending much/any time discussing shows they're watching with others.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

AcidCat posted:

The Lost threads were the best and I'll die on that hill. Was always fun reading the next day at work.

Some of my favorite times were in threads for LOST and Glee. The Glee ones were especially fun as everyone turned from enjoying the show to absolutely loathing it and hate watching it.

Maybe I'm being extreme in my views but I feel like the binge model really kills any reason to add mystery to a show. To me, one of the best parts a mystery is spending a week thinking about it and speculating what it could be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

bull3964 posted:

The question was why is it ok for shorter forms of entertainment to have self contained mysteries that get discussed or digested after the fact but but discussing a show season after the fact, rather than while in progress, kills all reason for there to be mystery?

For me, it is about the "event" aspect.

You go see a film opening weekend, it is a singular event. It is a singular piece of media. You can go talk about it afterward with people and discuss the film and pick it apart and that's great.

With modern TV shows, you have 8-10 pieces of media that combine to make a whole. With a weekly model, each of those pieces of media become an "event." Each week, you're given another piece. And you're given time to think about it and digest it. When you release an entire season at once, instead of getting 8-10 events, you get one. Each individual episode isn't given space to stand on their own. You are only able to see the whole.

Granted, if you come to a show years later, you're dealing with the whole. But with the binge model, viewers aren't given options.

You can be pro-binge, and that's fine. Wait and watch it after the final episode airs.

Pro-binge model is basically saying "my way is right and everyone should have to adhere to my model."

Weekly model allows weekly viewers to enjoy it and binge viewers to also enjoy it - just at different times.