Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: muscles like this!)

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

muscles like this! posted:

Looking forward to;
Outer Range s2
Strange New Worlds s3
Fallout
Demon Slayer s4
Kite Man: Hell Yeah!

More I can't think of right now.

True Detective s4 looks promising

EL BROMANCE posted:

New thread, new desire to talk about BSG.

Leave the World Behind successfully removed any hope I had that Sam Esmail will make a good new BSG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

It looks like the holding pens in Times Square have gotten smaller.
Rita Ora just doesn't seem like she's having a good time either.

Being married to Taika Waititi probably takes its toll.

I love Vic Berger’s New Years compilations

https://youtu.be/b7XiCR2P9jw?si=JlglHYNQRS-b5WSQ

https://youtu.be/BDL3sCorYfQ?si=djZAxb7NlnjlUOO9

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Open Source Idiom posted:

Though lol at HBO Disco, having identified "True Detective" as a high awareness brand that fits their seriesdom-for-him rebranding strategy, just randomly shoving the True Detective name onto a completely unrelated show with no-one from the original involved.

I'll go to bat for this just for saying that True Detective Season 4 was in development (even if very early stages) prior to the merger, and it's not like the previous seasons had any sort of connectivity at all. I think the only example was the brief mention of the season 1 events in a single scene of season 3, which was all just a red herring anyways.

Either way, looking forward to it a lot.

ruddiger posted:

Is True Detective considered a comic book show?

On this topic, lol that the new season is set in a fictional town called Ennis.

Jerusalem posted:

Moffat's run on Doctor Who was really loving good and ended strong, and it only looks better in retrospect after the bland mess that was Chris Chibnall's run that followed.

That said, apart from the first two seasons of Sherlock, everything else he's touched since then has been progressively worse and got so bad that I never bothered with the one with the Hannibal Lecter rip-off (I think that was the premise?) that I believe was his last series? The final episode of Sherlock was atrociously bad but even that was nothing compared to how terrible his and Mark Gatiss's Dracula series turned out to be.

IMO, season 5 was really strong, and his run just got weaker as time went on, though with the occasional strong episode (sometimes even by Moffat!) along the way. He doubled down on making it a show about the Doctor rather than a show about the Doctor's adventures.

I remember really loving the first two seasons of Sherlock but kind of reluctant to go back and watch them now as I suspect they might not be as good as I remember. In retrospect Dracula coming out the first day of 2020 was a sign of the year to come.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

It will be like that Star Trek: Lower Decks episode on Fereginar with the Ferengi show Landlord Cops, which looked like it was about cops who are also landlords and pressure suspects into signing predatory leases.

Also that episode of Upload from this past season where poor rural people can only access bizarre AI-generated content that makes no sense.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

BBC America at least produced a few good shows. Orphan Black and Almost Royal, which really more people should have watched and I feel like would have made a bigger impression if it had come out a few years later. Also that miniseries that was technically Dominic Cooper playing young Ian Fleming but clearly as a parody of young Bond.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I always heard Yellowstone described as being about the Bundys but how the Bundys see themselves.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Also the insanity of nominating Obi Wan for literally any editing award ever, let alone multiple ones.

My favorite part of Obi-Wan was when they made the decision to not use any John Williams music, and then when people complained, tried to blame it on Williams refusing to give them permission to use Star Wars music in their Star Wars show, which is definitely a thing.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

zoux posted:

Well, there isn't a single starship in The Batman

You know, a version of Batman where Gotham City is a giant decrepit interstellar colony ship that got lost and is drifting through perpetual interstellar night would be a good Elseworlds take.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

MarcusSA posted:

I thought it was a lovely take on rosemary’s baby but :shrug:

I still think it's really funny that multiple people had the thought that it was "like Rosemary's Baby, but if it was a feminist take on that concept."

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Boris Galerkin posted:

I wanna watch the last 2 seasons of x files but I’ve never watched x files before. Can someone recommend a good “what you need to know” video for people who don’t wanna watch 200 episodes to catch up?

I would really argue against this not only because you would miss a lot, but the quality is very low in general. You're going to get maybe three top-tier episodes, a handful of so-so, and a lot of bad ones. Much better to just ask for 20 of the best episodes of the show and watch those (especially as most of the best ones are standalones) rather than watch the 20 revival episodes.

That being said, if you really want to watch only the revivals, the first episode starts with Mulder doing a general overview of the show for new viewers that is probably as effective at getting the gist of the show out as any YouTube video you'll find.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Hakkesshu posted:

Mandalorian uses the helmet as a core theme throughout the show and is an important character trait that embodies the culture of his weird religious sect.

Also because it lets Pedro Pascal not come to set.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

I guess that's why it didn't get to be a star war. You'd think they'd get the hint when it was rejected compared to what's made for star wars these days

Yeah, it’s crazy it can’t meet the standard of all the Star Wars movies coming out these days.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

CatstropheWaitress posted:

She steals the show. They're doing a game to collect money in small barrels for the eventual winner's pot and she just gives up right away and starts tossing away money into a field within sight of the finish line.

She was the best part of Below Deck and the show never really was the same when she left.

Last year my wife made me start watching Below Deck with her and I’m ashamed of how into it I’ve gotten. Only watched the original and Mediterranean, though.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

As a history professor, I honestly can't think of a single fictional depiction of my profession at all, accurate or not.

In terms of professors in general I heard from a few people that the Netflix show with Sandra Oh from a few years ago was accurate, but I never watched it.

I will say that in Raiders of the Lost Ark, Indy being behind on grading term papers is also pretty spot on. And the importance of archive work that he mentions once at the start. But being mobbed by students in office hours? I think I had two students total come to office hours in all of last year.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Mu Zeta posted:

In the show Falling Skies the protagonist is a history professor and his skills are apparently useful in starting an uprising against alien invaders?

I actually watched Falling Skies and completely forgot that he was a history professor. And actually almost all details about the show, or that it even existed, let alone aired for five seasons!?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I watched the first two episodes of In the Know, the new partly stop-motion, partly live-action NPR talk show parody on Peacock, and thought it was pretty good so far. Zach Woods is great in the segments where he interviews real-life people as his NPR persona. For context, I did have a mother who would play NPR constantly and as an eight year old I got super excited to listen to Prairie Home Companion during car rides, so that maybe makes me a bit predisposed to be its target audience, but I think even if you've never heard a single episode of Car Talk or Wait Wait, you would still find it funny.

Sirotan posted:

Did no one watch the Chris Pine Jack Ryan movie or have we all collectively agreed to pretend it didn't exist since it's so incredibly dire?

It is kind of funny that Kenneth Branagh clearly just recycled his Russian villain character from that movie for Tenet.

On a Branagh tangent, my wife was watching the Harry Potter movie he did in the background, and I honestly think Gilderoy Lockhart is Branagh's best role.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Timby posted:

Oh, of that I have no doubt, especially if they can convince one or both of Daniel Radcliffe and Rupert Grint to return, presumably with a dump truck full of cash. (Based on that reunion special from a few years back, and a lot of public comments over the past decade, Emma Watson seems to want to have absolutely nothing to do with JKR or the Harry Potter franchise again because of all the hell she went through and I certainly cannot say I blame her.)

I cannot imagine Radcliffe wanting to return to Potter. His public statements on Rowling have been as clear as he can be about her without potentially harming his career, and every acting choice he’s made since Potter has been as far from any franchise as possible, and arguably as far from mainstream as possible.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Watson also feels like the one of the three whose career has stalled the most, especially in recent years, at least taking into account that by the end of the Potter movies she was framed as the breakout of the three and the one poised to be the real ‘serious’ actor.

Obviously Grint has had the weakest career of the three but he also didn’t have the sort of expectations or ambitions of the other two, and even then he’s joined the Shyamalan stable.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

The narrator's final line is :kiss:

It sure is!

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

feedmyleg posted:

Other than Perry Mason, Babylon Berlin, and True Detective Season 4, what other solid serialized detective/neo noir shows are worth checking out from the past, say, 5 years?

True Detective Season 3?

I’d add first season of The Flight Attendant, though it goes more comedic. You can ignore season 2, though.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Mokotow posted:

Trick question: has there ever been an alt history tv series? It doesn’t even need to be good. Some shows dip in and out of the topic, like Sliders, and I guess Fringe and Counterpart come close.

Besides the ones mentioned, the BBC did a miniseries adaptation of SS-GB a few years ago, though I haven’t seen it.

Also the Watchmen show is technically alternate history.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Hopefully if this has good ratings it will convince AMC to finally move forward with the Ballad of Black Tom adaptation they announced years ago.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

PriorMarcus posted:

I also can't believe that she signed on with Amazon, with a massive payday, and hasn't produced a single thing for them.

Worked great for JJ Abrams and HBO!

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Sarah Snook finding out that Succession was ending partway through the table read for the finale.

I know she's said that in an interview but it still seems incredibly hard to believe.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

MechaSeinfeld posted:

I don’t get streaming. Paramount owns The Twilight Zone but paramount plus doesn’t have it for streaming anymore? How’s that make sense

It’s on my Paramount Plus, I just finished watching an episode.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

graventy posted:

Anyway more on topic I recently finished watching TNG season 1 for the first time and good god that show was abysmal at the start.

My wife bought me Star Trek: Resurgence for Christmas, which is kind of barely an okay adventure game by game standards, but a very good Star Trek game if you're a fan of 90s Star Trek, if that makes sense. It's also basically a direct sequel to The Last Outpost from TNG season 1, which is the episode that introduces the Ferengi, and it is really wild to go back and watch that after getting used to the Ferengi in DS9.

If you haven't, you should watch the documentary Chaos on the Bridge about the creation and filming of TNG season 1.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I never watched the show but I recall in the book the only time Jesus appears it’s as a hippy in a park. I think that’s also when a couple Sandman characters have the cameo too.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Medullah posted:

In a few years there's just going to be Disney+ and Not Disney+ as the two streaming services

Isn't Paramount considered likely to merge with Warner Brothers Discovery as well? So seems like in a few years we'll have HBO, Peacock, and Paramount (and Showtime?) merged together, and Hulu merged into Disney+.

Jerusalem posted:

Does one of them do Star Trek? They better not gently caress with Strange New Worlds and Lower Decks :mad:

If neither of them do Star Trek, well whatever company does better not gently caress with Strange New Worlds and Lower Decks! :mad:

Paramount's already having huge layoffs, I think the writing is on the walls. Especially if Paramount merges with WBD, doesn't Zaslav dislike animation specifically?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Its been leaked that there's a Mandalorian game in development from Respawn, who are the devs behind the recent Jedi Fallen Order/Survivor series. They do good work, especially with FPS, so I'm optimistic. The reporting makes it unclear if you're actually playing as Din or some rando Mando bounty hunter.

There's no way it's going to be Din. There was a ton of Mandalorian spinoffs in development when the first season came out (a novel, a YA book, a comic, and a reference guide, probably a few other things that I'm forgetting) that all got canceled after season 1 was a hit, because they didn't want anything tying the hands of the showrunners. I can't see that changing now.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

My wife loves true crime and Grey's Anatomy, so she decided to just put Dr. Death on the iPad for something to have in the background when we made dinner last night, and we both wound up getting drawn into it. Definitely not high art or anything but it's fun, which I admit is a weird thing to say about a show based on a real doctor who mutilated patients for years. But Christian Slater is great, Kelsey Grammer has a recurring role as a complete self-satisfied smug rear end in a top hat that strangely he nails, they do some fun stuff like one episode having a parody of the Dallas intro for its credits, a dialogue-less French New Wave parody scene, etc.

Absolutely not for the squeamish, though. Also I'm guessing probably the last leading role for Alec Baldwin.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I don’t think it was terrible, but also wasn’t great. The type of show where I don’t regret watching it but I also have no interest in ever watching it again.

Also anyone who claims this is as good or better than season one is delusional.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Supposedly Star Wars: The Acolyte will be premiere June 5th. This one has potential as it is set outside of the Prequel or Original series.

Also one of the few Star Wars shows that actually has good writing talent attached to it, both in the showrunner Leslye Headland and that it actually had a writers room.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Seconding Primal. Great show and I feel like it doesn't get nearly the recognition it deserves.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

kiminewt posted:

I was talking to my friend about the first couple of episodes of ATLA and she brought up the removal of Sokka's sexism (and to a lesser extent some things about Zoku) and said she feels like it stems from society being unable to display "transgressions" anymore and let people grow and change from them cuz cancel culture blah blah blah.

I do think there is some truth to it, at the very least creators might be aware that viewers are loving dumb and will immediately think that any thing a character does at any point in the show is an endorsement. However I don't really feel like it's really that prevalent. As an immediate counter-example I suggested Bojack Horseman which deals with this head-on. I can't think of recent other shows though, any help?

The actress who played the Black CIA agent in the new Indiana Jones movie said she convinced the director to tone down the racism of the Neo-Nazi characters because she thought it was too offensive.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Add me to the Dune/Children of Dune enjoyers, though I don’t remember the original as well as I do Children. I think the latter was the first time I saw James McAvoy in anything.

I do miss that era of Syfy annual Special Miniseries Event. The Lost Room gets a lot of love here but I have a big soft spot for Tin Man, goofy as it is. Taken also (the alien one, not the Liam Neeson one). I remember the Peter Pan one being decent too, but really don’t remember it. Was Childhood’s End their last miniseries?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The wife and I finished our watch of both seasons of Dr. Death. I remember seeing the ads for the first season in 2021 and dismissing it as a cheap way for Peacock to cash in on true crime and podcast stuff to have something to put on their service, but I wound up really liking it. It had some funny and creative parts, Christian Slater in particular was great and he and Alec Baldwin had great chemistry, it was well written, it had a lot of big drama moments.

But season 2 (which covers a completely different subject matter) really blew me away. There are far less scenes of surgery for those who are squeamish but just the description and focus on the impact of the doctor's completely unethical experimental surgeries (supposedly "biosynthetic" tracheas that are really just plastic that decay in their bodies and cause incredible pain and additional complications before inevitably killing the patient). The second season doesn't seem to be as well received as the first largely because of the structure (it follows two stories, one around a team of doctors in Sweden in 2012 who start to uncover his work and the other following his journalist fiancee in 2014 realizing he's a con artist who has scammed her) but I thought this let the show really dive into the twin aspects of his personality in a way that let each storyline have a strong focus.

In particular, the fifth episode of season 2 is one of the most brutal episodes of TV I've seen in years. It follows a 22 year old Turkish girl who he basically pressures into getting one of his tracheas after removing one of her lungs in what was supposed to be a simple exploratory surgery that he pushed her into getting, and follows her over 190 (!) additional surgeries as her body gradually collapses and you see her slowly lose every little bit of the will to live. I enjoyed the show but don't think it was necessarily "great," but that one episode was just so well done and so effective that if I had watched it in time for the TVIV poll I might have included it on my top ten just for that alone.

I'll also say that I thought season 2 had a pretty good child actor as the daughter of Mandy Moore's character. Anyway, that's my report on Dr. Death.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Good news: Sara Ramirez fired from And Just Like That (for those who didn't watch, Ramirez played a character named Che Diaz who was maybe the absolute worst TV character of the past decade)

Bad news: it was apparently because Ramirez voiced support for Palestine

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Yeah, I liked The Regime too. Great acting though it is kind of funny how this Central European republic is full of names like Herbert and Westgate. Loved the husband’s romantic origin story.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Upload renewed for fourth and final season. I thought it was done, good for it.

Awesome! It deserves it. Seems to get basically no attention but I really like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Looking up James Clavell now and I had no idea he wrote the script to the original 1950s film version of The Fly. That's wild.

zoux posted:

This is obvious right? Like they'd be making up extra story? (I haven't watched it yet, waiting for the full series to be out but I have read all the books)

I mean, that hasn't stopped TV adaptations before. Thinking of The Terror, and the plans for a second season of Lovecraft Country.