Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: muscles like this!)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Does one of them do Star Trek? They better not gently caress with Strange New Worlds and Lower Decks :mad:

If neither of them do Star Trek, well whatever company does better not gently caress with Strange New Worlds and Lower Decks! :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Merging streaming services doesn't mean the companies are merging.

I have an idea of what a merged CBS and NBC service could be called.

Hulu.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The two worst-designed and worst-performing apps merging? What could possibly go wrong?

They'll cancel each other out into the best app ever!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Open Source Idiom posted:

I'm talking about Melissa Moore. i.e. the woman who's producing a TV series that uses her own life as a jumping off point for a series that imagines that perhaps her dad may have actually done even more murders and that a fictional version of herself is the only one who can prove he did them.

Ah, I assume given she’s already done a book and podcast about it then this has just become her whole personality now.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Medullah posted:

In a few years there's just going to be Disney+ and Not Disney+ as the two streaming services

Isn't Paramount considered likely to merge with Warner Brothers Discovery as well? So seems like in a few years we'll have HBO, Peacock, and Paramount (and Showtime?) merged together, and Hulu merged into Disney+.

Jerusalem posted:

Does one of them do Star Trek? They better not gently caress with Strange New Worlds and Lower Decks :mad:

If neither of them do Star Trek, well whatever company does better not gently caress with Strange New Worlds and Lower Decks! :mad:

Paramount's already having huge layoffs, I think the writing is on the walls. Especially if Paramount merges with WBD, doesn't Zaslav dislike animation specifically?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

bull3964 posted:

Merging streaming services doesn't mean the companies are merging.

I have an idea of what a merged CBS and NBC service could be called.

Hulu.

Hold on a minute, how do you expect to run a streaming service without a + in the name?

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Chairman Capone posted:

Isn't Paramount considered likely to merge with Warner Brothers Discovery as well? So seems like in a few years we'll have HBO, Peacock, and Paramount (and Showtime?) merged together, and Hulu merged into Disney+.

Paramount's already having huge layoffs, I think the writing is on the walls. Especially if Paramount merges with WBD, doesn't Zaslav dislike animation specifically?
Harley Quinn is still going!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Even the Warner Bros Discovery talks were reported to have really focused on combining streaming services rather than a straight up merger. Given that they just partnered with Disney over sports stuff, I'm going to guess those talks have cooled.

These companies all rushed to create streaming outlets and thought they had to compete with Netflix in content creation, but their financials really aren't tolerant of that kind of loss leading and now are struggling with justifying keeping the lights on when not rolling out a new show every 5 minutes.

So, now they figure they can spread that expectation around between multiple different media companies, they don't have to shoulder the burden on all the new content meant to retain subs.

We're right back to where they were when this all started and really should have just continued licensing and creating content for Netflix.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Chairman Capone posted:

Paramount's already having huge layoffs, I think the writing is on the walls

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wahLIbwZTLQ&t=23s

Fire a CEO instead of loving with good shows :mad:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wahLIbwZTLQ&t=23s

Fire a CEO instead of loving with good shows :mad:

Uh, I don't think you understand. A CEO is a blameless creature who deserves to paid millions upon millions of dollars even if they drive the company into the ground and ruin everything about it. How else would a company be able to attract top talent?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

pentyne posted:

It's a surprise they even got a second season much less 4.

It doesn't appear to be insanely popular either, I can only guess it's cheap to make since they have all the main sets for use.

Didn’t watch the third season of Umbrella Academy but the second season was set in Texas in the 60s which is not a cheap way to film a show.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

muscles like this! posted:

Uh, I don't think you understand. A CEO is a blameless creature who deserves to paid millions upon millions of dollars even if they drive the company into the ground and ruin everything about it. How else would a company be able to attract top talent?

To be fair, this is the level of my financial intelligence:

https://i.imgur.com/YK1yNzK.mp4

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

So what you're saying is, you'd be an above-average CEO

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Season 3 of Ghosts premiered. Still a solid show.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

ymgve posted:

In contrast, I've only seen people on this forum gush about Mr and Mrs Smith, otherwise the reception has been lukewarm

It's not quite working for me. Everything is well made and acted but the Seagal movie action scenes (in scale, not execution which is excellent) don't vibe with the rest of the show. The Smiths just shot two dozen people on a mission in public and are back in their wonderful house the next scene with zero consequences apart from what Hihi thinks of how they did the mission. Things they talk about indicate they live in our world but events that happens are in John Wick land, movies that know exactly what they are.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

CeeJee posted:

events that happens are in John Wick land, movies that know exactly what they are.

I think it's the last John Wick film where they're having this gigantic loving shootout on a roundabout with multiple people dead, gunfire everywhere, cars and motorcycles flipping through the air, and the regular traffic is just tootling through like,"Yep, that's a Thursday evening for ya! :tipshat:" :allears:

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

CeeJee posted:

It's not quite working for me. Everything is well made and acted but the Seagal movie action scenes (in scale, not execution which is excellent) don't vibe with the rest of the show. The Smiths just shot two dozen people on a mission in public and are back in their wonderful house the next scene with zero consequences apart from what Hihi thinks of how they did the mission. Things they talk about indicate they live in our world but events that happens are in John Wick land, movies that know exactly what they are.

The absolute lack of caution or followup on their part for incredibly public displays of violence and incredibly public fuckups is a little jarring. Their chemistry really carries it though, and from episode two onwards I made peace with the fact that this isn't the type of show to examine why no one linked them to the disappearance of a billionaire despite them being very publicly seen and filmed with him.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Its been leaked that there's a Mandalorian game in development from Respawn, who are the devs behind the recent Jedi Fallen Order/Survivor series. They do good work, especially with FPS, so I'm optimistic. The reporting makes it unclear if you're actually playing as Din or some rando Mando bounty hunter.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yea we'll find out in like 2029 when it comes out.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Its been leaked that there's a Mandalorian game in development from Respawn, who are the devs behind the recent Jedi Fallen Order/Survivor series. They do good work, especially with FPS, so I'm optimistic. The reporting makes it unclear if you're actually playing as Din or some rando Mando bounty hunter.

That makes a lot of sense, that show, especially the first season felt like it was structured like a video game with quests, like the quest to get the big hairy egg for the jawas.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

There's no way it's going to be Din. There was a ton of Mandalorian spinoffs in development when the first season came out (a novel, a YA book, a comic, and a reference guide, probably a few other things that I'm forgetting) that all got canceled after season 1 was a hit, because they didn't want anything tying the hands of the showrunners. I can't see that changing now.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
It'll never show your character until the very end, revealing that you were Grogu in a mech all along.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I've been rewatching Breaking Bad for the first time in a few years and man, I still love the show but I'm starting to realize that I think Better Call Saul is a better show.

Does that make me an awful person?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Medullah posted:

I've been rewatching Breaking Bad for the first time in a few years and man, I still love the show but I'm starting to realize that I think Better Call Saul is a better show.

Nah, Breaking Bad is a great show but Better Call Saul is stronger on the whole.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That’s just the correct opinion to have

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Medullah posted:

Yes.

I thought Breaking Bad was great but I just couldn't get into Better Call Saul. I think it's because I can only handle Bob Odenkirk in small doses.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

He is great in Nobody.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I've rewatched Breaking Bad several times, but haven't gone back to Saul for more than a few clips. The slow burn nature of BCS works against it in that case.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I liked BCS for the lawyer drama. I did not care at all for the gang stuff. (Except for Tony Dalton, he was great!)
It was roughly 70/30 in that show and went even by the end.
Breaking Bad was 90% stuff I did not care for.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

If there was a show with 90% stuff I didn't care for, I simply would not watch it.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I saw the first season of BCS and really didn't like the brother character. How important is he the rest of the show

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Mu Zeta posted:

I saw the first season of BCS and really didn't like the brother character. How important is he the rest of the show
Quite!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Medullah posted:

It makes you an accurate person. Better Call Saul is incredible.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I can recognize that Breaking Bad is a great show full of amazing performances, but I have zero intention of ever going back to it and the further we get away from it the more I find I wouldn’t really put it in an all-time list.

Chicanery is one of my favourite TV episodes ever though.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I can only find an edited comedy version online, but I was just thinking earlier about the episode where Chuck announces he's suing Howard for gently suggesting he retire rather than sue the poo poo out of an Insurance Company for upping their premiums after Chuck hosed up a major deal (because of Jimmy, but still!), and Howard just hits Chuck in the soul with a liver punch by just handing him a personal check for millions and saying (very politely),"I'm buying you out. gently caress off."

Better Call Saul was so loving good at giving even seemingly entirely 1-dimensional characters depth, the way viewers perceptions of Howard shifted over the seasons was remarkable.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
I've rewatched both BB and BCS, and I'd say both hold up very well on repeat viewing.

My biggest takeaway from rewatching BB is that Walt turns into an irredeemable rear end in a top hat a lot earlier than I'd remembered.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Breaking Bad is undoubtedly an absolutely fantastic TV series, I'm not taking away from it at all, I think it's exceptional. It's just...Better Call Saul was better!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

DaveWoo posted:

I've rewatched both BB and BCS, and I'd say both hold up very well on repeat viewing.

My biggest takeaway from rewatching BB is that Walt turns into an irredeemable rear end in a top hat a lot earlier than I'd remembered.

Yeah, you think Walt is an okay guy who fell into the trap of his own hubris but you realize he's a huge rear end in a top hat right from the beginning.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Probably within the first 10 minutes when he was arguing about going out to wash cars with his boss. Can't really see anyone negotiating a way to work in a car wash without having to pitch in with washing cars unless you have a disability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The only thing I still scratch my head about over BCS is that it seemed like it got going in a slightly different direction than it seemed obvious it would, and the further it got along that path the further it ended up from where it "needed" to be in order to fit seamlessly into BrBa.

Meaning it seemed like it would be a wacky-hijinks courtroom-caper-of-the-week kind of show, an origin story for the fast-talking slick boy who works with Walt. But instead it became a serious drama of a very different kind of guy, who instead of approaching the BrBa Saul just seemed to move further and further away from that endpoint. At the end when they had to tie up his story and bring it together with BrBa, it really felt like they were jamming gears together that just didn't want to go.

I mean it still played out okay and I think they did an excellent job with what they had to work with by that time, but really they found they had been working backwards from a single scene with vague mentions of "Lalo" and "Ignacio" and then spent 6 seasons figuring out who those people were and by the end the whole gimmick of having him know those two names in BrBa and mentioning them the way he did had kind of gone all wonky.

It was a tall order of a concept and maybe they had to choose between "do a perfectly seamless prequel" and "do a good show" and chose the latter.