Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: muscles like this!)

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

zoux posted:

Unrelated to nudity....or is it: S2 of the Halo show is going to be a soft reboot

There were some good things to take out of s1 (not very many, but some) but on the whole they just need to do the drat story from the games.

“What if we make a Halo tv series but never actually go to Halo?” I also still find it intensely hilarious that they felt a need to pop Chief’s helmet off in the very first episode.

The Mandalorian’s first season alone is proof that you can resist that urge at least until your finale and still have your hulking faceless protagonist of few words still be a compelling character and make the show work if you know what the gently caress you’re doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
It’s kinda weird because Chang and the Dean both became insane parodies of themselves at more or less the exact same time and frequency, but Chang became super annoying and grating and the Dean somehow didn’t.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

The two worst-designed and worst-performing apps merging? What could possibly go wrong?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
That’s an extraordinarily dumb take because the entire point of the show is to show how he got to that point.

What did you want, a “wacky client of the week”?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

PriorMarcus posted:

There's no way they get to Halo before the final seconds of Season Two, especially seeing as leaked episode titles make it seems like we are making a detour to loving Onyx of all places.

Hahahahahahha of course

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

I’ve been watching Foundation, so now I’m picturing a genetic dynasty of Young, Middle-Aged, and Elderly Sheldons all ruling CBS programming for millennia.

:suicide:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I finally got around to watching Foundation season 2 and hot drat that was great. The Gaal plot still isn’t quite as interesting (although Salvor herself is still great) as the decaying Empire stuff, but neatly meshing the latter with the actual Terminus Foundation stuff this season was really solid. Loved the addition of the Seldon monks, the defiant General, and really fleshing out Demerzel.

I need season 3 already.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
The only news I see beyond the recent delay over budget is David S. Goyer stepping away from showrunning but still writing episodes for season 3.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Is that Patton Oswalt as… Grant?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
The “subverting expectations” complaint poo poo is so tiresome. Yet another thing we have RLM to thank for starting.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
They had an actual flashback in the movie explaining that though.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I met Rian Johnson at Celebration 2017 when he spent a solid 2-3 hours talking to and signing stuff for every single person who wanted to talk to him while waiting in line for the panels. Incredibly gracious and humble dude. My friend and I were near the very end of the line and, even after he’d already talked to hundreds of people over the previous hours, he still took the time to have an actual engaged conversation with both of us about his previous work and took photos with us etc.

Sure, it was a convention and he was promoting a new movie, but I have a very hard time believing he’s actually a secret rear end in a top hat of some kind.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I gave up trying to use it on Xbox and it only barely functions on my Samsung tv. Worst loving app around.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

thrawn527 posted:

Couple possibilities. One, not everyone with a red lightsaber is a Sith. Two, Jedi Long Head who said that in The Phantom Menace was an idiot, and an example of how the Jedi were ignoring what was right in front of them for a while now. The Jedi of the Prequels were dumb, and the point of those stories were that they were killed off by their own hubris and lack of ability to use the Force and see what needed to be seen.

But it is set 100 years before The Phantom Menace.

Specifically it’s set in the tail end of the High Republic era, the era they’ve been exploring in books and comics for several years now. It’s the Jedi and the Republic at their absolute heights of power and influence while still setting the stage for their downfall via arrogance.

I’ve been enjoying the books and at least one of the characters in that Acolyte trailer is a book character getting their live-action debut: Vernestra Rwoh.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I can kinda understand it because the biggest chunk of the main plot doesn’t really kick in until episode 4/5. And it’s not a Surf Dracula situation or anything, there’s just a ton of context it needs to build before getting to that point and I can easily see people not being patient enough for it. Hence the “this season on” teaser that’s full of loud exciting stuff from the back half of the season.

I finished it today and really enjoyed it.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

xerxus posted:

She definitely looks older to me. I'm actually wondering if they put older-age makeup to closer match the timeline for the character.

I mean Chao’s only 66 and I think the character she’s playing is supposed to be in her early 80s? So she’s definitely aged up with makeup.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Oasx posted:

3 Body Problem is interesting, but every single human character in it who isn't Davos Seaworth is just super awful.

:wtc:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Sol will provide, but only once we eat these weird ball bearing eyes

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

MarcusSA posted:

Well afaik in the book (haven’t seen the show yet) it’s driving scientists insane and to suicide.

It’s also kinda implied in the show that some of the suicides might actually be staged murders by the human cult that’s siding with the invading aliens.

It’s also not just “physics is broken, so I’m going to kill myself”, some of these scientists are also being tortured by the Sophons with intense visual hallucinations of an ominous countdown that’s always visible in their line of sight and threatened with some kind of harm if they don’t immediately shut down their work/research.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Oasx posted:

Then later it becomes more clear what is going on, but it’s the show fault for waiting five episodes for the story to really get interesting.

This is how narratives work. Information relevant to mysteries is given to you slowly, not immediately.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

PriorMarcus posted:

Want he involved in some BTS drama when the show started where he turned out to hold some pretty questionable views?

A horrible tragedy and far too young.

I’m pretty sure he was a redpill dipshit who was hard into the Andrew Tate type crowd

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I absolutely hated Jupiter Ascending but I also haven’t seen it since it was in theaters. Might be due a rewatch.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Timby posted:

It already was; everyone involved said it was absolutely the last Indiana Jones movie.

Of course, 20 years after Ford carks it and Kennedy is retired, they'll go back to the well, because time is a flat circle.

I don't think Mangold was the issue with Dial of Destiny, which I generally enjoyed outside of the tuk-tuk chase taking motherfucking forever and never loving ending. The real problem was that Jez and John-Henry Butterworth, who wrote the bulk of the script, are goddamn terrible writers.

I enjoyed DoD, but it really lacked the “punch” (pun not intended) of the originals and even Crystal Skull. I can’t really articulate it eloquently, but it just felt like a modern Indiana Jones movie. It didn’t feel like an homage to or pastiche of the same 30s/40s adventure serials and movies that the originals were, particularly Raiders. It was just a perfectly average Indiana Jones adventure, nothing more.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Chairman Capone posted:

Like, if they were going to bring Sallah back for a pointless cameo, it feels like that would be way to do it.

Also Phoebe Waller Bridge's character (Indy's favorite god-daughter!) should be have been Short Round.

Nah, it’s perfectly fine for Indy to have a new-to-the-audience goddaughter that isn’t just a name old fans recognize. That wasn’t a problem with the movie at all.

The problem was that the movie could never decide whether she or Indy were the main character and never fully committed to either.

Like… the film almost certainly would’ve been better if a) Helena was the clear main and Indy was the supporting character or b) Indy was the main as always and Helena was the new supporting. The former gives you a fun twist on the traditional Indy dynamics while also giving Ford something new to do with the character as he tries his best to mentor her. The latter is just a more typical Indy dynamic that you’d expect.

Honestly, the best part of DoD was the WW2 opening and the bizarre (though realistic? :shrug:) mention of Mutt dying in Vietnam because he was trying to piss off his dad by enlisting.

That second thing got several audible “what the gently caress”s and suppressed giggles from the audience in my screening. It’s such a bizarrely dark thing to spring on the audience and hang on the character just to explain why Karen Allen only had time to film one scene.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Chairman Capone posted:

I don't think that was the reason, I think it was because the ending was originally going to be something completely different, test audiences didn't like it, and they wrote her into the reshoots for the new ending.

I was being facetious but I also don’t buy that explanation at all.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Chairman Capone posted:

Very funny that after being adamant that she would not return to X-Files after the last new season, Gillian Anderson now says she would be willing to make an appearance in Ryan Coogler's new series because "if he did it, it probably would be done incredibly well." Nice way to obliquely drat Chris Carter's terrible writing, haha.

I mean, for Sallah, they brought him back but turned him into a guy stuck living in a cramped apartment driving a lovely cab for a living, they dumped on his character already. Bringing him back just to kill him for manipulative points is also better IMO than just killing him offscreen for manipulative points like they did Mutt, even though I know no one liked him.

Also Ke Huy Quan talked a lot last year about wishing he had been in Dial of Destiny to makes the fans happy and wanting to be in the Indy spinoff show that was in development but got canceled.

There was never an Indy spinoff in development, that was all clickbait horseshit.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

howe_sam posted:

https://twitter.com/sepinwall/status/1778047196866158674

So, in other words, they nailed the vibe of the games.

Yeah that sounds pretty much exactly like what I expected and wanted from a Fallout show. Walton Goggins and a proper soundtrack? Done, say no more, I’m in.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Azhais posted:

But what about the Congo? How will we know if people want to leave it?

Somehow I doubt the soundtrack will include the racist song

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I remember the Idris Elba and Weird Al ones being great

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Fallout is flawed but still pretty solid, though I don’t know how different the opinion of someone who’s never played the games would be to mine. I personally think the show largely nails the tone of the games, but I genuinely can’t tell if it sets up some of the setting’s core premises well enough for newbies or if I’m just taking a lot of the weirdness for granted since I already know the context for all of it.

For example, the fact that even the flashbacks still take place in the future of 2077ish and not the literal 1950s. Sure it gives you the actual date a few times but I don’t think it ever really spells out that this is kind of a “lateral” future where things like the civil rights movement and the creation of computers still happened but everything else culturally, socially, and politically basically stagnated after the 1950s and never really progressed for the next 120 years.

But then again, I’m not even sure that context is all that important. The show lives or dies each scene based on the cast, with Walton Goggins obviously doing a lot of the heavy lifting, but Ella Purnell and Aaron Moten are a lot of fun as well. Especially after the first couple episodes once they meet up. The season’s plot meanders a lot, which I could see some folks absolutely hating, but I honestly found it to be a faithful way of replicating the feel of the games. The main plot isn’t all that interesting, but some of the side threads like pre-bomb Goggins finding out about Vault-Tec’s shady dealings and Purnell and Moten stumbling upon a vault populated by human-creature hybrids are fun.

Some of the plot beats and the use of flashback really make me think of Westworld season 1, even moreso when Goggins is onscreen doing his very Man In Black gunslinger thing. And I guess that makes sense given that Jonathan Nolan & Lisa Joy are involved.

I guess that makes it a light recommend? It’s only 8 episodes and Walton Goggins is reason enough to binge it imo.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Mordiceius posted:

Hear me out....

The fact we have a picture fuckin perfect BJ Blazkowicz in our midst yet no Wolfenstein adaptation in production is a crime.

:captainpop:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

zoux posted:

Finished Fallout yesterday, what a quality series. I got my mom watching it too and she’s like “I don’t know how this could be a game” and I said, this is more like the game than any other adaptation I can think of, so obviously that structure doesn’t stick out to people who’ve never played FO

It’s funny, I have a friend who flew through the entire season over the weekend and aside from a few questions about ghouls he had zero issue enjoying the show without ever having played the games.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I really do not miss following threads dedicated to weekly shows. Between goon face blindness, lack of basic attention, lack of patience with plots, and just general pessimism about every single thing, it’s never worth it.

The only real exception I make is the Doctor Who thread because nearly everyone who posts in it is easygoing.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I figured it was coming, but the ending of this week’s Shōgun was devastating.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I have basically zero strong opinion on it either way now, but my anecdotal evidence is that any week-by-week show my friends and I watch inevitably inspires far more discussion between us, sharing of memes, and just general memorability.

Shōgun and The Bad Batch, for example, have been regular objects of discussion since their season premieres. Fallout and Blue Eyed Samurai not so much.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

muscles like this! posted:

For All Mankind was officially renewed and a Soviet based spin off was announced.

gently caress yeah. The premise for the latter also kinda makes it sound like a decent way for them to keep using some of FAM’s characters that would be too old (or dead) to appear in future FAM seasons.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I don’t think that’s ever bothered me whatsoever. If I have time for a 47 minute show then I almost certainly have time for a 63 minute show lmao.

If anything the varied runtimes have been a boon. Each episode tells the story it needs to tell with the appropriate pacing instead of having to meet a runtime determined by ad and act breaks.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
That’s basically the entire reason to watch any of Conan’s remotes, so no, probably not.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

feedmyleg posted:

What are some detectives shows that are a nice balance of mystery and humor? I recently rewatched the 2010 Dirk Gently series and am wanting something else that deftly blends the two. I don't necessarily need something of that same tone or vibe, anything from any era is good. Extra points if it's pre-2000. I'm good if it's just a particularly humorous episode of The Rockford Files or an old Sherlock Holmes series that's particularly witty.

Columbo Columbo Columbo!

Although with Columbo, the mystery isn't a whodunnit at all, it's a howcatchem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I pay for the things I like and then rip them onto my Plex server.

You can do both.