Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: muscles like this!)

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I tried watching new girl recently, but it has a really weird regressive and conservative undertone that I found overwhelmingly off-putting. disappointed because I've had it talked up by friends for years. anyone else feel that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

thrawn527 posted:

I haven't watched it since its original run, so I'm way out of date, but I've watched the occasional clip here and there on YouTube. Do you have any examples? It seemed pretty good and progressive at the time, but again, it's been forever since I watched it. So I'm genuinely curious what I'm forgetting.

it's not so much the behavior it depicts as the beliefs it implicitly legitimizes. I stopped a few episodes into season 2 where these happened in quick succession:

- Jess convinces Paul's gf to forgive him for cheating on her and the gf accepts Paul's proposal
- Nick complains about being treated like Jess's boyfriend "with none of the benefits"
- Schmidt successfully attracts women by pretending to be a member of the Romney family

And the show treats this as empathetic instead of contemptible. Also Winston's whole character is ridiculous, he's more like a white person's idea of a black person than an actual character in his own right.

I get that gender and racial politics were different even 10 years ago but this is a bit much. It feels very much like a show produced by The Fox Network. Like seriously who gave a gently caress about Mitt Romney

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Shageletic posted:

The Paul's gf thing doesn't sit right yeah. There's a couple times in the show that happens like with Schmidt dating two women at the same time and you expecting to sympathize with him and Jess going back to the doctor in the later seasons. It's a relationship sitcom that has 3 plots an episode and like 26 episodes a season some of this stuff isn't going to land well, and some of the underlying exist attitudes of a specific writer is going to bleed thru. So if the show as a whole is tinged too much by that fair enough. its not for you..

But I'd also point out that there's hardly any sitcom older than 10 yrs ago that does hold up in that regard. Even favorites like Seinfeld have episodes that treat women as disposable non entities, amd shows like Friends is so riven by that I cant even watch it anymore (I thought it was gross even when it was airing). And Id say as a show with a female lead it was mostly progressive compared to alot of relationship siticoms at the time by including things from a women perspective. So again it's cool to drop if isn't for you but those issues weren't enough for me to drop it out of distaste.

the main issue for me is that the writers are aping seinfeld and IASIP but they don't seem to realize that a core component of what made those work is that they are never presented as anything other than assholes. the audience can sympathize maybe, but we don't empathize and aren't expected to, unlike here with new girl.

quote:

But just for the sake of conversation I am curious in following up on a couple things you mentioned and explaining why they didnt hit that way for myself.

The pretending to be Romney thing was an rear end in a top hat move that was called out as such with Schmidt suffering and not gaining anything in the end, which is a traditional sitcom trope.

yeah the setup taken on its face is fine. my issue is that, for the joke to work, the show has to present being a romney as something that would be desirable to the average woman in california in 2011/12. I'll cop to my own bias here, I'm viewing this subplot in the context of the show being developed and presented by the fox network.

quote:

Nick complaining about being Jess's bf without any of the benefits does touch on something I've noticed irl, where you're so sympatico with someone that the lines between friendship and romantic obligations kinda blur and you have to firmly put up some boundaries.

I suppose it makes sense for an emotionally-immature man to express this sentiment in a misogynistic way ("you owe me sex for doing you favors"), but it would have been a great opportunity for jess to point that out while also owning up to her pushing boundaries. I just can't figure out if the show realizes nick is as much a dbag as schmidt.

quote:

And this is the one that I'm having the most trouble understanding, Winston not being really a "black person." I don't know the racial makeup of the writing room but I can say that his character took up sometime to fill out and define itself, but as a black person I thoroughly enjoyed how weird and idiosyncratic his character got esp from the end of S2 on. The show wisely never really tried to address him as quote end quote black, outside of one episode that gratefully had the white characters being told they didn't know anything about it, and I thought that was refreshing. I loved Winston, outside of (and this is a spoiler from the later seasons OP so feel free to skip) him being a cop, tho I do know black ppl that are the same way, so I'm going to have to very much disagree on that point unless you wanna explain it further.

Tl;dr: everyone's lines are different, so whatever.

my issue is not that he's not acting like "a real black person," my issue is that he doesn't act like a character. the show doesn't treat him like one, not in the same way as nick and schmidt imo; he doesn't get nearly the same amount of screen time or attention. it was obvious to me from the way they replaced coach with him—to the showmakers, he's just the guy filling the "black guy" quota. as a disclosure, I myself am not black but that's just how I felt watching him in relation to the other characters.

I don't really care about spoilers but having quoted your post and seen it, I think I would have been really pissed off watching that development for winston. not really a surprising turn since, again, this is a fox network program.

the show feels like pg it's always sunny, but they missed the part where we laugh at them, not with them. I think something gets lost in having to play to a crowd that's expecting an audience surrogate.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I watched the first episode of 3BP and I'm very worried it's going to go down the extremely tired "but what if it's god???" route. never read the book but I'm really not interested in another science versus faith story, if that's what this is

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

mystes posted:

I only read part of the first book (I need to pick it up again) but AFAIK I don't think it's that kind of story

that's a bit of a relief. I'll keep watching because it seems like it could show off some cool sci-fi stuff

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Big McHuge posted:

2 episodes into 3BP and I can't quite describe why, but the dialogue just feels off. The non-subtitled parts feel like a poorly translated dub like one of the spanish/italian series that Mrs McHuge watches.

I'm also severely struggling with the whole "all the particle accelerators in the world are malfunctioning in the same exact way at the same time and producing results that are against the laws of physics, better shut down all research!". If that were to happen it would be one of the most noteworthy scientific discoveries in decades, there is no way they would be shutting down programs.

:agreed: but in fairness I can appreciate that it's very hard to write believable characters who talk like human beings, but who are also scientists who have to deliver high concepts to a lay audience

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Chairman Capone posted:

Just finished the fifth episode of 3 Body Problem. The nanowire scene was pretty gnarly.

same and yeah lol. that's a loooot of dead kids