Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: muscles like this!)

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Open Source Idiom posted:

Ooft. Showtime's divested itself of another show, with the Andrew Scott Talented Mister Ripley adaptation now going to Netflix.

Cute that they got John Malkovitch, and it looks gorgeous.

Oh this is gonna be good. Also, neat seeing Malkovich in it since he has played Tom Ripley before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

pentyne posted:

Didn't Netflix more or less force out the original creators of Avatar during the development of the live action?

The rumor going around a month or so ago was that they had creative differences because Netflix wanted it pretty much as close to the original as possible and that they wanted to shake some of it up so as not to full on repeat themselves. Which I understand both sides if that's the case. I'm sure the creators don't want to just redo everything they've already done and Netflix has had a number of flops where they've tried to adapt properties and have changed some part of the story at the core that the fans liked. It's clear they're dumping a ton of money on this so I'm sure they want it to not be money wasted.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Mordiceius posted:

That's wild to me.

Because yeah, if the Netflix version changed a bunch, people aren't going to say "Oh, neat. The creators wanted to something different with this version." they would have pitchforks and be pissed that "Netflix ruins everything!!!!"

No, I'm not still bitter about the Witcher. :mad:

The thing about the original creators of Avatar is that you have to remember just because it was those two guys that created it, there were a lot of other people that shaped it into being the great show people remember. A lot of their original ideas never made it to the show or were changed. And a number of things people love about the show were ideas brought by their writing team as well as them. It was a collaborative effort. No one or two or even five people gave us that show, there was a bunch of people involved. If you ever get a chance track down the original show bible for the show. It's nowhere near as good as the show we got, though show bibles never are.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Medullah posted:

Thanks jerk I wasn't feeling old today until I saw that the "new" Jack Ryan movie is over 20 years old

No, the 'new' Jack Ryan movie is only ten years old.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Mentioning made for TV movies made me think of this alien invasion one that presented as a newscast back when I was young. That channel didn't have it but another Youtube channel did. I am definitely going to watch this tonight. I imagine it's really bad but I remember being enamored with it as a kid and talking to other kids about the next day. We all thought it was amazing. Of course looking at the date I was about a month away from turning 11 so everything was amazing at that age.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Td3EEyHa6cw

EDIT: Wow, only a couple minutes in and already see John de Lancie, James Morrison, and Philip Baker Hall in this. Character actors everywhere!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

There was a fantastic HBO original movie about Rasputin that starred Alan Rickman as Rasputin and I don't think you can find that thing anywhere now. I saw it High School several years after it aired as one my teachers had recorded it on VHS. It's not on Max or any streaming as far as I know.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Nice! I can't imagine it'll be in better quality anywhere else. I don't think I've ever even seen this in widescreen!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Mokotow posted:

Trick question: has there ever been an alt history tv series? It doesn’t even need to be good. Some shows dip in and out of the topic, like Sliders, and I guess Fringe and Counterpart come close.

The Man in the High Castle
For All Mankind
The Plot Against America

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

swickles posted:

Speaking ofnalt historyz did that poorly concieved show about the Confederacy winning the Civil War by the GOT ever get anywhere?

It got into an early grave luckily.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Don’t forget the one movie that Carano was the lead in they had to redub most of her lines with a different actress.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The Left Behind books sounds fun in theory if you just look at a synopsis. But they're very bland. I grew up kind of in and out of church. By the time I became aware of the books I was about 14 or 15 and there was already like four of five books in the series. This is around 1998 or so.

I know not a lot of you probably grew up in a church or around a church. My parents were not church goers but a lot of my friends were. So that's how I got into it about 10 or 11 years old. My church wasn't a crazy fundie church or anything, it was casual and small. I eventually stopped going about four of five years later around the time the Left Behind books came on my radar. And as a kid who loved comic books and scifi and who was part of the church system there was a pull to Christian Eschatology that I imagine a lot of boys of a similar age and interests go through. As mentioned there is wild stuff in Revelations. And that was a part of the Bible that was never really touched upon much in church. At least not in my church. My Sunday School stuff focused a lot on Old Testament stuff with David and Nebuchadnezzar and stuff like that and services and sermons were always more generic messages. Revelations was never touched on so it was like the part of the Bible you heard was kind of crazy but didn't really know anything about.

So Left Behind was very enticing to someone of certain age and certain circumstance and demographic. And it kinda blew up way bigger beyond that and turned into a powerhouse. There were MANY imitators and knock offs. Suddenly fiction based on Christian Eschatology was a big cash cow. I read a lot of different series and books over that time. I never did finish Left Behind because it dragged on forever and eventually I went to college and became less interested in that stuff. One of the better series I read during that was just a three book series. The Anti-Christ in that book was actually a clone of Jesus that was created from the blood on the Shroud of Turin. The story is also told from the point of the view of the father figure of the Anti-Christ. It also tried to tie in all religions in the plot and make them all seem somewhat right, again because it's from the POV of the 'bad guys' in the story. My aunt was way into those books too and she actually stopped reading it during the second book because the POV characters and that everything is framed as if it's good and in the interest of the word. It was a neat spin on it. Of course if I tried to read that again it would probably be lame but to a kid it was fun at the time.

X-O fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Feb 13, 2024

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Jerusalem posted:

I was bewildered reading the synopsis of the Left Behind books in this thread and reading multiple posts about the non-Christians living in a utopia where there is no hunger or war or need and then that these were the... bad guys? :psyduck:

I mean in the books it's framed much more sinister. They talk about having to take the mark of the beast and all that and even have like executions of people via guillotine (I believe they called them Loyalty Factories or something like that) if they don't obey the laws set forth by Carpathia. I believe the actual Utopia is when the believers come back to inherit the Earth after the fall of Anti-Christ's army.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The rapture is one of the many common misconceptions about the Bible. As in it's not actually in the Bible. It's just a popular interpretation of a couple of vague things mentioned in the Bible. Same as in going to Heaven after you die. Never said in the Bible. Some people just interpret certain statements that way. If you look at it textually it says you remain dead until the second coming. That's when Jesus raises the dead and gathers the living. That's the line that people interpret as the "rapture" in this case.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

OldSenileGuy posted:

I'm with you, the Cyclops voice actor sounds dead-on to the original to me.

The Wolverine voice actor, on the other hand....

Look he only has one line in the trailer, but I refuse to believe they couldn't find another voice actor that could get the voice closer to the original than this guy

That is the original guy.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

DogsInSpace! posted:

It’s superb but still not at the level of CRY FOR THE MOON!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyKQHN4BFd4

Wow that is a terrible upscale. I didn't know bad upscales could ruin cartoons the same way they do live action. Everything is smoothed out it looks terrible.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

In the live action show Sokka is much more 'You need to do what I say because I'm in charge' instead of 'You need to dowhat I say because girls are weak and have no place doing boy things' like in the original. And honestly Sokka is pretty unlikable at the beginning of the cartoon. So I think the toning down of that has more to do with maybe not making the audience completely hate a main character right off the bat than not wanting to show sexism at all. Especially since in the live action show they kept the sexism angle completely intact in regards to the Northern Water Tribe.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Nichael posted:

I'm not normally one to be like "new thing invalidates old thing!" But honestly the live action Avatar just feels like a bummer to me, especially considering there are new cartoons that are canon to Korra and Airbender starting as soon as next year. I don't get the point of watching a lower energy, one-to-one remake when the original feels alive and relevant.

It's not a one to one remake. There's a number of changes and a number of them are quite well done.

People really need to get over this notion that there's no reason for remaking things. I've seen dozens of different tellings of Hamlet in my life and most of them are literally one to one adaptations. But there's always something new that each brings to the table whether it's a good performance, a good set piece, or something added. Adaptations don't water originals down, they expand on them. You may not like the expansion and the expansion may not always be good or positive. But there's nothing wrong with doing one. They can easily be ignored if they're not you thing.

The people that would opt to watch the cartoon are still going to watch the cartoon. But people that would never want to watch a cartoon are going to watch this. And this never existing would not make them watch the cartoon. Simple as that.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

kiminewt posted:

I think people are mostly just angry with live action remakes because they feel like they're saying "here, now it's actually legitimate and not a stupid cartoon for babies"

Some might be done with that intention but I doubt it. That sounds more like an issue with the people thinking that than anything else.

They're done for one reason and one reason only. Money. Same as the original cartoon. To make money.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

theblackw0lf posted:

The show absolutely nails Zuko btw, probably the most important thing they needed to. It’s his arc that elevates the original show to greatness.

Yeah, it's the best storyline in this original and and it's the best one in this one too. And it also has the best two actors in the show carrying it so that it works well. I think for the most part all of the main actors are pretty much nailing their parts but Zuko is far above the others. Sokka too.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

cant cook creole bream posted:

They did some really good streamlining for episode 3 of Avatar. Some first season plotlines which aren't strong enough to stand on their own were neatly compressed there. And important characters get introduced earlier. A genuine improvement over the original. But I know plenty people who get upset by the slightest diversion of the source material, so they would probably be less impressed by that.

Also, It's always great to see Dani Pudi.

Yeah I agree. Combining The Mechanist, Secret Tunnel, and Jett into one story and setting it inside Omashu was really well done. I think that's one of my favorite changes from the cartoon.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Aces High posted:

they've made some, ah, interesting choices when it comes to callbacks and fanservice. I appreciate that because Aang isn't lovesick all the time (or, really, at all) he doesn't have to be there for the Secret Tunnel bit, and instead they use it so Katara and Sokka can bond as siblings. But, I just wasn't a fan of the minstrels. I liked what they did with the cabbage merchant (also cool that they got the same guy from the cartoon), but that was probably because they did kept swerving. I was literally doing the "go on Bart, say the line" thing whenever he was on the screen. As I said above, they also didn't do Aang's spinning rock trick and I think that's one of the only big misses they've had. Aang is still supposed to be a goofball, and even though he's focusing on his trauma and guilt a lot, that trick is a quick shorthand to show the dichotomy of what he will become as he continues maturing, and who he already is.

Speaking of slight character changes I was not prepared for Bumi to be the one to really lay on the guilt for Aang. At first I wasn't having it, but the more he kept talking and recalling traumatizing experiences and awful decisions he was forced to make, the more I bought it. Bumi's still the same goofy kid that Aang played with, but a century of war has hardened him some

The one thing in the entire series that they kept that really didn't land for me in live action was the musicians in the tunnels. It was goofy and didn't work in live action I think. The story of Oma and Shu was well done (the animation was gorgeous for it) but suffered from being delivered by those goofball characters.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

kaynorr posted:

Me watching 95% the X-Men 97 ep1: well this is fine but mostly a forgettable exercise in nostalgia so I can just move on...

Last 30 seconds: GODDAMNIT

The first episode is basically "Remember all the characters and how cool they are?"

The second episode is where the show really justifies its revival beyond that. Speaking to the bigger themes that the X-Men deal with that still apply to the real world today. And giving longtime fans a tease of some well renowned stories from the comics that it has plans to adapt.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

EL BROMANCE posted:

There’s not a single character in the history of media I am more sick and done with than Batman.

I feel this way about Joker moreso than Batman honestly.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Khanstant posted:

Got some recommendations from family to watch The Chosen. Not family who have good opinions on anything in the world. I have to assume a show about Jesus that doesn't upset American Christians cannot be very good since they won't have portrayed Jesus very well, certainly gonna be Paul's lovely fanfic version of Christ. gently caress Paul.

Anyone here seen it, is there anything there or is it just christofascist propa?

I've watched it as someone that is more just interested in it as a fictional story and as someone that's just interested in theology rather than actually believing in it. I was a believer growing up, but not so much now. And it's very well made show. I guess how you react to it is going to depend more on how you interpret it. A weird thing to say of course but I think it's true. At the end of the day the show is presented and made with the idea that this stuff actually happened because they are believers of course, but they've made it explicit that they have taken liberties in even their version of events which has kinda made a lot of fundamentalists not take to it.

I think the supplementary videos on the website are just as interesting as they have videos where Catholic and Jewish scholars discuss how they interpret the events in their own way. Those theological discussions are interesting to see unfold sometimes. Also some of their main advisors on the show are Orthodox Jews so they're not coming at this from just a Christian theological standpoint even though that is what they are producing.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

So Fedex dropped off a mysterious package at my house today that just said to occupants of residence. Very weird to receive a package like that. I open up the package and the first thing I pull out is five brand new one dollar bills. Even weirder now. The next thing is a cardboard flyer with a debit card that says "You've been chosen, now be rewarded" and it claims the card will be loaded with $50 after speaking with the people at this phone number. The last thing I pull out of the envelope is a letter from Nielsen saying my house has been chosen to begin taking part in Radio and Television Ratings. And goes on to explain the devices they'll send me to monitor what I watch after calling and setting it up. And that they'll give me and additional $50 for anyone over the age of six in my house that enrolls with more payments to come during the duration of my time in the program.

So that would have been great for me personally about 10 years ago but I barely watch any TV at all now outside of live sports and some stuff on streaming. Oh well.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Apparently the way it works now is that you get a little wristwatch device that you wear while watching any kind of media and there are embedded audio signals that humans can't hear but the watches pick up. Guess that beats writing stuff down like they did years ago.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Khanstant posted:

Just do it anyway? Who cares if you don't watch TV that much, besides them, who will have had already given you the fifty dollars.

Oh I'm going to contact them for sure. Just a shame that they didn't pick me up back when I was watching ridiculous amounts of TV and it might have helped some of the shows I liked.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Welp I'm officially a Nielsen house now. They actually sent a real live person to my house after calling the number to run through all the equipment and everything. Streaming counts too! What I watch tonight finally counts!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

counterfeitsaint posted:

How does it work now, do they set up some kind of monitoring device on your TV?

Nope, it's a little fob that you either wear on a lanyard, a watch, or clip on your belt. It picks up frequencies in the programming that we can't hear.

It's literally the exact thing in this article. And it has a base that sits in the house that it uploads the data to.

https://radioink.com/2022/04/01/nielsen-wearables-to-be-rolled-out-this-year/

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Columbo is also $25 currently on iTunes. So I imagine it's a sale that's going to be present in your walled garden of choice.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

deep dish peat moss posted:

I would love to watch Justified sometime because I like Western-adjacent stuff but I have an irrational dislike of Timothy Olyphant. It's like he sucks the energy out of anything he's in. The first time I can remember seeing him was Die Hard 4 and he played the blandest most forgettable villain of all time and I think that ruined him for me.

Nah, he's great. His podcast appearances with Conan are some of the best stuff you can listen to. Their friendship is fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

HIMYM is one of those shows that's blasted for a terrible finale that actually deserves it because it's so bad that retroactively makes the series almost unrewatchable.