Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: muscles like this!)

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Praise Saul

Bring back Better Raise Wolves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I looked up an episode on youtube. This definitely feels like it was supposed to be an extended bit in Tina Fey style show and then they forgot it was a bit and then made 19 seasons of it. The theme music is straight out of one of those history videos you'd have to watch in high school when the teacher doesn't feel like teaching. The contestants are introduced with facts about them that seem like they were supposed to be funny, and they pick categories by choosing a Egyptian hieroglyph for some reason. I could definitely see there being an episode of 30 Rock where Jenna says "There was that time when I was accidentally on a British game show" and then it cuts to her on this show doing a bad British accent.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jan 3, 2024

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

zoux posted:

Hello Wilbur *smash cut to black, EP credit for Jonathan Nolan*

Whaaaaat I've doooooooone
I'll face myself

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I've never seen the show but the consensus seems to be that it is just boomer bait meant to prop up CBS and Paramount+

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

I guarantee every second of The Sopranos is already on tiktok uploaded by user1928484928 and every comment is "WHAT MOVIE IS THIS?" and the replies say "Get Shorty" or "Lonely Hearts"

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Hey, maybe spoiler stuff for something that just aired. This is the general thread, not the monarch thread.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Did you see the new five minute season of True Detective? We almost got to see the entire title sequence. Guess they are leaving the rest as a cliffhanger until next season.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Medullah posted:

Nahhhh it'll be a couple episodes about Jack Black and Lizzo's characters, with a Hutt laugh track

I wouldn't mind if a show had "ha ha ha, Bargon wan che copa" as the laugh track.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Seinfeld would probably be difficult for someone to watch if they've never seen it before. Though maybe not as much anymore. A lot of the things Seinfeld did were really original and out of the box, but were then copied by other sitcoms to the point that they can seem cliche these days.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

NikkolasKing posted:

I've always been told this is why I don't like Aliens. I found Aliens very generic and cliche and everyone tells me that's just because everything copied Aliens and I saw all of them first.

But I've never seen much Seinfeld. I gotta try it someday. I've also never seen much Cheers but based on an ep of Frasier with the old crew, Cliff's entire thing was being the consummate bullshiter. I have always thought his shtick wouldn't work in the age of smartphones because you can Google any BS he tries to pull on you.

Ah, good points.

You would think so, but listen to any podcast. Podcasts are full of people who just say things and the other people refuse to look it up.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Jerry does have routines that are really funny but almost all of his stuff is observational material about the world around him, so it can be easily boiled down to "What's the deal with *thing*?"

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The best Seinfeld material you can get these days are impersonators doing "What's the deal with girlfriends? You ask them out on a lunch date, but they say they can't go because they have to go to history class."

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Digital Jedi posted:

I didn't mind the Reacher finale but overall felt the investigation aspect itself was just weak.

I still will watch season 3 and see him throw people around and stuff. I do hope it's more just him in a small town passing through

I definitely want more investigating. I think some people didn't like the army flashback stuff, but I liked it for the simple fact that they were investigating a crime. The crime was interesting, and the investigating was interesting. The season overall felt like "Ok, we figured out what happened. Time to start killing people." I find it hard to believe they were given the all clear to just kill all these people without bringing anyone in. Especially to launch a ground to air missile inside the US.. I want more of Reacher being almost too good at figuring things out and less shooting.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
As long as it has less killing every single person within a 2 mile radius and no one in law enforcement or the government even caring.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
What Reacher needs is an incredibly hot, but skeptical female crime solving partner in the mix. Then that way, whenever Reacher's not out busting heads, because he smells crime, he's back at wherever he has his toothbrush performing outrageous sexual experiments on her supple young body. And here's the twist, and there is a twist, we show it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Were the last two movies well received? It might be a thing where they put the last two first so there will be a four hour period where those are on the guide so people scrolling through will see it, think "hey I like twilight" and then see that the first movie starts soon so they just leave the TV on MTV in the backgrond until the first movie starts up.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Jan 23, 2024

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
People would have a loving meltdown if they changed a single thing from the cartoon. I generally liked the cowboy bebop live action and it seemed like the main complaint I saw was "this is different from the cartoon." Netflix isn't making that mistake again.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

Was Cowboy Bebop a one and done or was it supposed to continue?

It had a teaser for continuing but was immediately cancelled after the Internet threw a poo poo fit.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Road House is actually a really fun movie. Imagine a world where being a bouncer is actually really cool and people are famous for bouncing.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I have watched a few episodes of After Midnight. It seems like this could be good, but they need to have at least one comedian I've heard of in each episode, otherwise it gets a bit awkward. I really enjoyed the second episode because it had Paul F Tompkins and Sophie Buddle, but this third one is kind of awkward.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I guess it works. The Daily Show used to be a parody of the nightly news which doesn't really exist much anymore. Now it can be a parody of the Rachel Maddow "only on Monday's" news show.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I would simply just make the best pilots.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

Finished Silo finally which was really good but I was kinda expecting that ending. Very good overall though.

I also watched rebel moon which I knew was bad but it was like next level bad and kinda makes me mad it’s that garbage.

I guess that's why it didn't get to be a star war. You'd think they'd get the hint when it was rejected compared to what's made for star wars these days

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

zoux posted:

Masters of the Air premieres tomorrow!

Technically it will come out around 9 Eastern time tonight.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Edward Mass posted:

Hulu was dead the moment the Walt Disney Company announced they were buying 21st Century Fox.

It's not dead, it just means that Disney gets to make people in the US pay twice.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It's still stupid to lose the originals.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Don't throw his body out. You throw in a potato, an onion and some carrots, baby you've got a stew going.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Master Chief would have easily whipped Arnold right over the mountain.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

OldSenileGuy posted:

Random question - I remember hearing a story about a sitcom from the 90's, possibly 80's, that got cancelled during production of it's third season. But they were still contracted to finish producing the season anyway, so the producers/writers decided to do a whole bunch of weird poo poo with the episodes of that season - does anyone remember what show this was?

There was a show called Second Chance that was Matthew Perry's first role as the main character. The original premise is that a guy dies in 2011 in a hovercraft accident and they can't decide if he should go to heaven or hell. He's sent back in time to 1987 to help his younger self make better choices. The show did not do well and was retooled for the second season as Boys Will Be Boys, and it focused entirely on Perry's character and his friends goofing around, with the adult version of the main character not being in the show anymore.

Fun fact, that show predicted Muammar Gaddafi as dying on July 29, 2011. His actual death date was October 20, 2011.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Deadloch is so good.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It's pretty clear that the people running SNL don't give two shits about what's offensive or unfunny. For the latter, look at half the sketches they do. They had Nikki Haley on this last episode so she could do a zinger against trump.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It's funny that SNL has this reputation on the right that it's some crazy leftist show that only ever dunks on the right when SNL is constantly normalizing the shittiest right-wing politicians because them being lovely is funny for for people who won't be affected by their policies.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Pedro Pascal is trying to hide his hate (for shitlords).

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Paramount Plus is one of the worst players on the market.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

IRQ posted:

His name is Dr. John Chief, he didn't spend 4 years in medical school to be called Mr. Chief.

He only got a masters degree, that's why he's called Master.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Open Source Idiom posted:

It's older, like 80s older, but Tenko is a classic. MASH too.

I've always had a soft spot for The Unit, but I gather that's a bit more contentious. Though weirdly not because of the two episodes that dip into the straight up supernatural.

If you can find mash without the laugh track, it's even better

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Medullah posted:

Depends, did Master Chief commit a small violation like jaywalking that would give Reacher the excuse to rip his leg off and beat him with it?

Chief is a small time drug dealer, so Reacher hits him with an SUV to take his pistol.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

IRQ posted:

That seems to be the consensus on Reacher around here. What do you even call revenge fantasy directed at everything? Boomer energy works, I guess.

His books were written for boomers and boomers love seeing people get punished for perceived crimes. A friend of mine has read the books and when I mentioned it from the show he went through like 3 different books he was guessing the season was based on because Reacher apparently beats up a black drug dealer in multiple books.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Mordiceius posted:

I’ve heard that from a few people. I’m not sure if I’ll check our season 2, but for now I’m planning on taking a break to check out Tokyo Vice.

If you want mindless entertainment it's fine, but the things reacher figures out is borderline magic sometimes and then he does some boomer fantasy move and beats up a bunch of hooligans with no effort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I started up avatar. Nice to see the earth bender doing earth bending and not just having one rock slowly move across the screen.