Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: muscles like this!)

mystes
May 31, 2006

GreenNight posted:

Reviews of the first few episodes of the new season of True Detective are in and most are saying it's one of the best, up there if not better than season 1.

https://www.darkhorizons.com/true-detective-night-country-reviews-are-in/
I hadn't noticed that there was going to be another season, but sure, with ratings like that I'll watch it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Gripweed posted:

I watch that British show Taskmaster on Youtube, so sometimes the algorithm recommends me other British game shows, like 8 out of 10 Cats Countdown or Would I Lie To You, and those are decent enough background sounds. But earlier today I watched an episode of this show called Only Connect.

What the gently caress is wrong with Britain? That has run 19 seasons? How? Why? Why hasn't anyone told them to stop?
Do you just not like that it's a straight up game show rather than a comedy panel show?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Gripweed posted:

It's insanely boring! It's the most boring TV show I've ever seen, it's like a joke from The Simpsons.
Have you ever watched, I don't know, jeopardy?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Well I think only connect is fine if not super fast paced and exciting

mystes
May 31, 2006

thrawn527 posted:

I love Victoria on other shows, but I have never understood what is going on with that show. They'll list out, "The burning of the Library of Alexandria" and "A bushel of apples", and someone will say, "A cloudy day in April" or something, and everyone will go, "Yup, makes sense." And I'll just be sitting there all, 'What the gently caress just happened?!" But I get that's a me problem, and I'm just not on the wavelength of the contestants, and certainly not as smart as Victoria. She's great on her appearances on QI and Would I Lie to You, though.
That's why they're asked to explain the answer though. The explanation is usually pretty clear even if it's later in the season and the actual question is insane and there's no way a normal person or someone who's not British could have gotten it

mystes
May 31, 2006

IRQ posted:

Tiktok happened is certainly part of it.
I wonder how many people who are using tiktok were subscribed to linear tv services recently even if they are old enough to have potentially done that?

I haven't watched linear tv in like 20 years except for a couple times where I did free trials and realized I hate it.

I guess it's different if you watch sports though?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Looten Plunder posted:

They latest Dunkey video does a good job at highlighting the ridiculousness of the streaming landscape these days.
I have no idea if like half of the stuff in that is a joke or real but I guess that says more about the state if streaming

mystes
May 31, 2006

Pan Dulce posted:

Holy poo poo, I know this is weird, but it's TV adjacent, so I'll put it here, but that anyone remember that Lone Ranger catchphrase? I always thought it was "Hi Ho Silver!" Apparently, it's "Hi Yo Silver," and I've been The Berenstain Bears/Mandela effecting.

https://medium.com/@nathanielhebert/hi-yo-silver-hi-ho-silver-and-the-murky-history-of-the-lone-rangers-catchphrase-9860e4433f23
No way

mystes
May 31, 2006

Open Source Idiom posted:

I've decided, based on nothing but a sheer suspicion of the wider world and a hardy love of undergraduate statistics, that test screening audiences are boring motherfuckers whose main job is to launder producer directives.
I guess the way I think about it is: would you be willing to be a test audience, answer a telephone poll, fill out a survey, etc? If not, the insane people with too much free time who get off on broadcasting their opinions to corporations and are willing to do those things are absolutely not going to have the same opinions as you.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Looten Plunder posted:

What exactly is a character actor cause this just looks like a bunch of pictures of actors in different shows?
You know, actors who play characters

mystes
May 31, 2006

how much younger can these sheldons get

mystes
May 31, 2006

Jesus christ there's a ted spinoff show now?

mystes
May 31, 2006

I thought the first ted movie was ok but it kind of felt like to the extent it was good, it was because Seth MacFarlane accidentally came up with a concept that was too good for him to completely ruin with the actual writing despite his best efforts. I don't think I want to watch any more of the ted cinematic universe though.

mystes
May 31, 2006

If I was a disney exec I would greenlight more marvel crap and then go home and swim in my pool of gold coins

mystes
May 31, 2006

I haven't watched the daily shows in years but the jon stewart parts were always much better than the parts with the correspondents. I guess if they're going to have the correspondents do the part the host would do it might be ok but if they're just going to do a bunch of correspondent bits I can't imagine that being at all good.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I have to say that visually it looks surprisingly ok despite also apparently trying to stay pretty true to the look of the original show

I'm more concerned about how the tone and acting will play out in a live action show, which you can't really tell from this trailer

mystes
May 31, 2006

Data Graham posted:

I guess I'm just like ... why?

The biggest thing that annoyed me about the Shyamalan movie wasn't the ridiculous effects or pronunciations or anything, it's just that it felt so much more fun as a cartoon. Live-action just saps that dry. See the supposed "comedy" moment with the riding-the-ball-of-air bit. Hardly seems any better than the way the movie did that sort of thing.

Is there some reason why some people are so invested in redoing what was already near-perfect, just "make it not a cartoon"?
The cartoon made money and redoing it as a live action show is a way to do the same thing over again, and what could be better than redoing the exact thing that was already successful?

mystes
May 31, 2006

drat just directing a bunch of pilots and raking in the cash would be nice

mystes
May 31, 2006

BonoMan posted:

Netflix also cancelled The Mothership, the Halle Berry sci-fi film that was already in post-production after "suffering from multiple post-production delays."

Which is weird because... just release it later? But I'm assuming that is just code for "poo poo was real bad and not worth releasing" but that's doubtful.
My first thought was "lol all these services just love to cancel poo poo that's almost done" but googling it, supposedly the problem with The Mothership was that it turned out it needed reshoots, but because the production was such a mess and it had taken so long, the child actors were already too old to actually be able to do the reshoots.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Someone should create an honorary award in memory of someone where that person gets the award every year

mystes
May 31, 2006

Open Source Idiom posted:

Yeah still mad I ate a whole leg for nothing.
You should have at least gotten the role as an extra on the walking dead

mystes
May 31, 2006

muscles like this! posted:

One major change the live action Avatar is going to have is they've removed the ticking clock element from the comet. Which makes sense seeing as they don't know how long it will take to make more seasons and they actors are all going to visibly age since they're all kids.
That seems smart and I guess it's also a good sign that they're actually thinking about how to make it work as a live action show rather than copying everything without even thinking about it, even if it does seem like they're mostly trying to make it exactly match the original show?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Stegosnaurlax posted:

Well i watched the first episode of The Bear, so much yelling, quick cuts, obscenely close close ups. I'm not sure i can do this.

But Episode 2 the main character falls asleep watching Pasta Grannies and i might just finish the season.
It's good but it's very stressful. I ended up liking season 1 a lot but I still haven't watched season 2 because I haven't been in the right mood for it.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Khanstant posted:

I promise you I don't actually remember any Jack Ryans and would never watch them. I've done my part.
I have seen various Jacks Ryan and I also don't remember any of them

mystes
May 31, 2006

Sentinel Red posted:

Just finishing up S3 of Slow Horses and literally shouting at the loving screen right now for River to snatch it back, it's so loving obvious what that senile old gently caress is going to do you useless loving muppet! Jesus Christ! No wonder he's stuck there forever, is there a bigger gently caress up on TV?
I suppose you've watched the rest of the episode now? :)

mystes
May 31, 2006

It has been successful for netflix so far and they increased their subscribers, so it's probably inevitable that all of the other services will do it too.

The question is will that work for all the other services, or are there some of them that people only think are worth subscribing to if they can share.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Is the harry potter show just going to be an adaptation of the books again? that kind of seems like a dumb idea

mystes
May 31, 2006

Bright Bart posted:

The real question about Hermione is how she wasn't sorted into Ravenclaw?

Gryffindor my heiney
because she's the self-insert character obviously

mystes
May 31, 2006

Speaking of slurs (lol) back in 2019 SNL fired Shane Gillis four days after they hired him due to racist and homophobic comments coming to light. But that was a whole 5 years ago so now he has been invited back to host the show.
Maybe it's not so much that 5 years ago is ancient history as that racism and homophobia are cool again now

mystes
May 31, 2006

Escobarbarian posted:

This is the most recent exposure to Poirot for anyone with taste

https://youtu.be/i4IAFSWOW70
this makes saturday night live almost look good

mystes
May 31, 2006

Mokotow posted:

Trick question: has there ever been an alt history tv series? It doesn’t even need to be good. Some shows dip in and out of the topic, like Sliders, and I guess Fringe and Counterpart come close.
The Man in the High Castle?

Edit: never mind there were more posts already

mystes
May 31, 2006

Oasx posted:

Mr. and Mrs. Smith is such an odd show, is it supposed to be an awkward comedy?
It's supposed to transcend genres probably

mystes
May 31, 2006

SunshineDanceParty posted:

I loved it but it's a hard show to describe if you don't love the leads and what they've done previously already.
I like the lead actors but I have trouble enjoying the show because I hate the characters they are playing

mystes
May 31, 2006

Thank you for explaining how opinions on media work

mystes
May 31, 2006

I only watched like 3 episodes of season 1 of halo and I've watched the first two episodes of season 2 and while it's clearly referencing a bunch of stuff that happened in season 1 I don't think it really matters that much if you haven't seen it.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Bright Bart posted:

Is master chief short for Master Chief Petty Officer?

I think it's cool that you play an NCO in those games.

And that technically every single 22 year old sublieutenant outranks him even though they probably know better than to ever pull that card.
It's actually "master chef" because he won Top Chef: UNSC

mystes
May 31, 2006

The foot washing ad backlash is amazing because the organization that ran it is actually funded by far right bigots and it just exists as a way to run ads pretending to be more inclusive as a strategy to market christianity to younger people, but all the christians hate it because it is actually vaguely based on stuff Jesus said

mystes
May 31, 2006

bull3964 posted:

It truly makes me sad to think of the amount of money wasted on branding shenanigans.
hey, you can eliminate homelessness in the US or you can rebrand your service back and forth a couple times, which do you think is more important?

mystes
May 31, 2006

socialsecurity posted:

Definitely dethroned SyFy as the worst name change ever.
I don't think SyFy is even that bad. Like I think the actual reasons for it were dumb and their programming strategy around that time was also dumb but in itself changing to SyFy would probably be reasonable just to be able to trademark it

Also the final season of Umbrella Academy drops Aug 8
I guess I'll watch it it but it's really a show where I like the idea of it but hate the actual execution

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

CeeJee posted:

At the same time they make it seem, even in the imdb credits, Jonathan Banks plays two characters, Bud and Henry, but he's not.
Can you explain what you mean here? If I'm understanding correctly I guess there was some sort of attempted misdirection in the show that I missed because I wasn't paying attention so I accidentally jumped to assuming what was actually going on, which was intended to be a surprise.