Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: muscles like this!)

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Shageletic posted:

Not to make this too political but anyone looking at polling could say the same.

The polling where only olds are polled? Come on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

GreenNight posted:

The polling where only olds are polled? Come on.

This is the TV thread so I'm not gonna get too deep into it but someone saying Trump can win or even is likely to shouldn't be a source of approbation or outrage. Feels like you're misplacing it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Anyone saying Trump doesn’t have any chance of winning is loving deluding themselves lmao. It is tragic and ridiculous and lovely and hopefully won’t come to pass but it’s the truth

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

GreenNight posted:

It's the same as Michael Che keeps saying Trump is gonna win. gently caress right off with that bullshit.

This was the exact same attitude people had in 2016.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The fact that every news mention of him isn’t prefaced with “adjudicated rapist facing 91 felony counts” tells you all you need to know about how the media is framing the 2024 election.

They want a horse race goddamnit and they will normalize any behavior they have to in order to make it a horse race.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

pentyne posted:

This was the exact same attitude people had in 2016.

Whats even funnier is Che wrote the sketch about black people not being surprised at all at the Trump win while white libs cried asking how in 2016.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHG0ezLiVGc

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Escobarbarian posted:

Anyone saying Trump doesn’t have any chance of winning is loving deluding themselves lmao. It is tragic and ridiculous and lovely and hopefully won’t come to pass but it’s the truth

It's less this and more that convincing people that voting doesn't matter.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

GreenNight posted:

It's less this and more that convincing people that voting doesn't matter.

I don't think saying, "Trump is gonna win" does this. If it helps, if anything, it may scare more people into voting.

More likely, what Che says doesn't matter in the slightest when it comes to voter turnout.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

You'd be surprised by the psychology there, last I heard people like voting for the winner and are less likely to bother if they think it's hopeless

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

thrawn527 posted:

I don't think saying, "Trump is gonna win" does this. If it helps, if anything, it may scare more people into voting.

More likely, what Che says doesn't matter in the slightest when it comes to voter turnout.

Unfortunately people listen to comedians. Especially if they repeat the same thing every week.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

GreenNight posted:

Unfortunately people listen to comedians. Especially if they repeat the same thing every week.

Comedians go all over the country all the time, i'd listen to them. They have a pretty good weather vane

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

My point is, if Che saying, "Trump is gonna win" makes people not vote, Trump was already gonna win. That's one of the least annoying things Che does.

Also, like I said earlier, Trump has a very good chance of winning. Everyone should really get a handle on that. But also also, who the hell knows what's gonna happen in a year where two Presidents are running against each other. Especially when Trump supporters think he actually won last time, so they're basically both running as incumbents.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Feb 5, 2024

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Fellas, I think the guy who is literally named after an avatar of evil might not have the best intentions

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Rappaport posted:

Fellas, I think the guy who is literally named after an avatar of evil might not have the best intentions

My username is literally a play on a Thrawn SuperPAC (they were called 527s back in 2004 when I joined). You can trust me.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I trust anyone who enjoys Boston Legal, but still

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Maybe you guys could talk it over in the Trump thread and we can get back to talking about how weird True Detective is this season

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It’s a pretty good season. Not amazing but I’m having a good time and certainly better than seasons 2-3

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Medullah posted:

Maybe you guys could talk it over in the Trump thread and we can get back to talking about how weird True Detective is this season

Agreed. Shutting up.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

This one of the reasons why I really didn’t enjoy when Charlamagne Tha God hosted the Daily Show.

Not that he was pro-Trump, because he sure as hell wasn’t. It was because he would counter every Trump piece of news with “but Biden is sure old and doesn’t know where he is most of the time, am i right” and then go off on how “is this the best we can do?”

That mindset just reinforces the idea that it’s a zero sum game when it sure as hell isn’t. Do I wish we had someone who was born after we landed on the moon as a party nominee? gently caress yeah. But that’s not where we are at the moment.

Old guy is old isn’t the height of comedy and pushing this nihilistic narrative at this point is irresponsible. If you want to add balance to the “less than ideal choice” situation, then you start talking about how everyone needs to focus on elections closer to home since they shape the national stage, it just takes a decade or two to do so.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023
Charlamagne believes in bigfoot. Let's not give him too much credit.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Charlamagne also like had puffpiece interviews with Haley and I think Nancy Mace and just generally seemed like he was trying to level the playing field or something. It was a weird vibe.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

STAC Goat posted:

Charlamagne also like had puffpiece interviews with Haley and I think Nancy Mace and just generally seemed like he was trying to level the playing field or something. It was a weird vibe.

He's not a comedian, he's a radio guiy that made his bones interviewing rappers and trying to get them to say crazy poo poo.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Charlamagne is a rapist by his own admission, let’s not waste any words on that guy.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
I'm watching Death and Other Details and it so obviously wants to be Benoit Blanc it's painful.
I'll keep watching that garbage though.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I love that they got Linda Hamilton to say "Korvo and Terry sucked and hosed their way into restoring humanity through the power of love."

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Unkempt posted:

I'm watching Death and Other Details and it so obviously wants to be Benoit Blanc it's painful.
I'll keep watching that garbage though.

Why can't Hercule Poirot still be the standard, he bloody earned it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Stegosnaurlax posted:

Why can't Hercule Poirot still be the standard, he bloody earned it.

Unfortunately that awful Kenneth Branagh adaptation is probably the most recent exposure people have to Poirot (I haven't seen the sequel, but it looked even worse). They should be teaching the David Suchet version in schools, dagnabbit!

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

David Suchet is the only Poirot

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
I just started watching Poirot last month, in between watching Jeremy Brett's Sherlock, and it's fantastic! There's something so great about mysteries that are from that time. Mainly because their is no tech in them but the stories themselves seem more grounded and real.

Digital Jedi fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Feb 6, 2024

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This is the most recent exposure to Poirot for anyone with taste

https://youtu.be/i4IAFSWOW70

mystes
May 31, 2006

Escobarbarian posted:

This is the most recent exposure to Poirot for anyone with taste

https://youtu.be/i4IAFSWOW70
this makes saturday night live almost look good

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

mystes posted:

this makes saturday night live almost look good
SNL can't match the genius that is Matt Berry

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/news/7746/philomena-cunk-quest-for-meaning-special/

Philomena Cunk to return in BBC special Cunk's Quest For Meaning

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Fantastic news!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
One of the last documentarimaams I can trust.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

How's True Detective this season? Is each season its own little bubble? I ask because I heard Jodie Foster is in it.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Pan Dulce posted:

How's True Detective this season? Is each season its own little bubble? I ask because I heard Jodie Foster is in it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Pan Dulce posted:

Very divided opinions on it. Most common complaint being the extremely slow pace of the mystery.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

I'm hesitant to say if its good or bad at this stage - like its all going to depend on how well they pull the ending off.

I've just finished S1 of Loki and into S2, its actually amazing and the most out-there comic cosmic craziness since Legion at its kookiest, except without trying to tie in heavy mental health themes (like what TD is also skirting around)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Pan Dulce posted:

Second favorite season of mine so far. There’s definitely a lot less happening without the multiple timeline tricks the other seasons used.