Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

kiimo posted:

This year has been unkind to both groups "the refs are fixing games to help the Chiefs" and "the refs are fixing games to hurt the Chiefs"

This is how harmony is established

The sad truth is refs are far too incompetent to fix games. They are chaotic evil, masquerading as agents of order. Their only actual prejudice is against my team, the NFL's good guys, and that's simply the refs innate repugnance raging against all that is righteous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Mr. Nice! posted:

They hosed up a lot of plays that game. The tripping penalty on the wrong team right after a first down on the previous drive was an example of a real egregious reffing error.

The lions trying and failing at subterfuge with eligibility (which is against the NFLs own intended rules requiring reporting) isn’t as bad as calling a penalty on one team when the other team committed the foul.

I'd say the tripping fuckup is less egregious because (if they'd won afterwards) there's no way the Lions fans would have been half as embarrassing with this level of caping for the refs to cover for their fuckup

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Mr. Nice! posted:

They hosed up a lot of plays that game. The tripping penalty on the wrong team right after a first down on the previous drive was an example of a real egregious reffing error.

The lions trying and failing at subterfuge with eligibility (which is against the NFLs own intended rules requiring reporting) isn’t as bad as calling a penalty on one team when the other team committed the foul.

It's amazing seeing you just post the same three wrong things over and over again no matter how many times people try to explain to you how wrong they are.

The337th posted:

I'd say the tripping fuckup is less egregious because (if they'd won afterwards) there's no way the Lions fans would have been half as embarrassing with this level of caping for the refs to cover for their fuckup

It's not the exact same because the Lions were up multiple scores at the time, but during that whacky rear end sequence in the Broncos game where they were possibly cheated out of a TD on three consecutive plays, every Lions fan immediately went "uhhhhhhhh I'll take it but yeah that was a buncha nonsense." :shrug:

MJeff fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jan 6, 2024

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Acebuckeye13 posted:

The ref failing to notice the large man directly in front of him saying "I AM REPORTING" while rubbing his nipples - in between plays with zero time pressure - is spectacularly egregious, come the gently caress on. It's a basic process that teams do every single week, the only thing the ref needs to care about is "which player with giant numbers on his chest is talking to me right now"

to be fair, I tend to get distracted if I am being spoken to by an enormous chest

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/david_njoku80/status/1743417278303961321

Mr. Carrier Pigeon
Aug 22, 2013

Those birds certainly know what they're doin'!

Mr. Nice! posted:

This is dumb poo poo for stupid idiots

gently caress the goddamn refs

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
The Dallas Cheaters

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

Grittybeard posted:

That crew has had a few things before this incident going on this season that were worth demoting them.

I mean, they're just bad at their jobs as far as I can tell.

wasn't it Allen's crew that made Reid and Mahomes lose their poo poo also?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

Yeah but that was funny as hell, and they were right.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/BrettKollmann/status/1743699746135704030

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

He's in a better place now...

...talking some great poo poo while commentating college football.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

No. They were the crew that somehow managed to botch an entire drive at the end of SNF vs the Packers.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I mean, I’m not the only one who sees it like this. Jomboy isn’t a cowboys fan. I’m mostly repeating things he said along with things the NFL emphasized.

The ref had is eyes on 70 and 70 ran on the field the exact same way he did earlier in the game to signal that he’s eligible. 68 did not get the refs attention to identify himself. The ref never looked at him and there was another dude in the way.

The whole point of reporting is so that the defense is aware who is eligible on the offense. The lions were trying to disguise who was actually eligible, and they failed to give the refs or defense the required notice by rule.

I’m not saying that refs are good. They gently caress up a lot and hosed up a lot in that game. I don’t think this is entirely on the officials as the lions were deliberately trying to do something that goes against the spirit of the eligibility reporting rule.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Mr. Nice! posted:

I mean, I’m not the only one who sees it like this. Jomboy isn’t a cowboys fan. I’m mostly repeating things he said along with things the NFL emphasized.

The ref had is eyes on 70 and 70 ran on the field the exact same way he did earlier in the game to signal that he’s eligible. 68 did not get the refs attention to identify himself. The ref never looked at him and there was another dude in the way.

The whole point of reporting is so that the defense is aware who is eligible on the offense. The lions were trying to disguise who was actually eligible, and they failed to give the refs or defense the required notice by rule.

I’m not saying that refs are good. They gently caress up a lot and hosed up a lot in that game. I don’t think this is entirely on the officials as the lions were deliberately trying to do something that goes against the spirit of the eligibility reporting rule.

Meanwhile, over here, in reality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yW5KDKNPTw8&t=117s

Here's former NFL head coach Rex Ryan explaining that what the Lions did is common practice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EV407J1HPBY&t=160s

Here's former NFL cornerback Jason McCourty crediting the Lions for how they designed the play.

Sure seems like people who have actually coached and played in the NFL didn't think the Lions violated the spirit of anything.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Quit defending the loving refs. And yeah let's take NFLs word on it. Come the gently caress on.

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jan 6, 2024

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006

Mr. Nice! posted:

I don't know about you, but if a guy is running up towards me from like 50 feet away, my primary focus is still going to be the two guys one foot in front of me. And the fact Campbell knew it would be confusing is exactly why he went over it with the refs before the game. Because god forbid someone goes against the sacred spirit of the eligible reporting rule.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

They did nothing wrong then, gently caress Reid and Mahomes and the Chiefs and their fans. Bunch of crybabies that deserved the L and the postgame presser pouting about "Kelce's poor highlight reel"

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era
https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1743728361250111941?t=o8kx2KO_oyjJZ-pvBHBk2A&s=19

Happy Jan 6th!!

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

Chris James 2 posted:

They did nothing wrong then, gently caress Reid and Mahomes and the Chiefs and their fans. Bunch of crybabies that deserved the L and the postgame presser pouting about "Kelce's poor highlight reel"

It’s been like a month, maybe move on

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Pron on VHS posted:

It’s been like a month, maybe move on

no one will ever move on from anything anymore because the Cowboys won a game and there is no greater crime in the eyes of the lord

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Shinjobi posted:

no one will ever move on from anything anymore because the Cowboys won a game and there is no greater crime in the eyes of the lord

Yes that’s correct

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Shinjobi posted:

Well good news that won’t last for much longer

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Shinjobi posted:

:hmmyes: gently caress the Cowboys

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Lions getting owned remains very funny especially if it's because they manufactured their own ownage and then got mega stinky.

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH
It brings a tear to my eye that no matter what else we all disagree on, "gently caress the Cowboys" shall always unite us.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

It’s nice to see people get worked up into a lather over teams other than the Patriots. Nature is healing

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
*Cowboys fan posts repeatedly disproven info about why the call was Actually Right*
*Everybody explains for the fifteenth time why that is very stupid and wrong*

Shinjobi: Why are the Cowboys so persecuted :qq:

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

I'm not watching an hour of Browns content so if this is fake news don't @ me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5Bes2YrICs

quote:

Joe Flacco on his catch from Troy Smith against the Raiders: "I came out of the backfield and saw their white linebacker and I was like 'You know what, I think I can run by this guy'".

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

Superbowl XL proved the NFL is rigged

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
It is legitimately crazy how the NFL, the most profitable American sport by far, can’t just find and train the 50 best (or however number they need) most diligent and consistent referees in the country, and employ them year round.

Football is an extremely intense and difficult sport to referee. But especially in an era of profligate sports betting, it’s so wild to me they don’t do this.

Rooster Brooster
Mar 30, 2001

Maybe it doesn't really matter anymore.

sharknado slashfic posted:

I'm not watching an hour of Browns content so if this is fake news don't @ me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5Bes2YrICs

Lol. Was Flacco the guy who was trying to convince his teammates to tackle the kick returner from the sidelines if he broke loose after a late go ahead score?

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

Tomlin just trips them over.
whats the penalty for doing that, 15 yards from the spot?

Rooster Brooster
Mar 30, 2001

Maybe it doesn't really matter anymore.
The refs have the power to award a score if the unfair act is egregious enough

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Fat Jesus posted:

Tomlin just trips them over.
whats the penalty for doing that, 15 yards from the spot?

Apparently nothing

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Mike N Eich posted:

It is legitimately crazy how the NFL, the most profitable American sport by far, can’t just find and train the 50 best (or however number they need) most diligent and consistent referees in the country, and employ them year round.

Football is an extremely intense and difficult sport to referee. But especially in an era of profligate sports betting, it’s so wild to me they don’t do this.

I mean most errors seem to be just the refs not seeing something not not knowing the rules so I’m not sure full time refs would change anything

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
The NFL doesn't care about getting the right calls. As long as the human element is in play, they have the ability to massage outcomes. The closer to 100% correct the calls become, the harder it gets to make games exciting all the way through and maintain ratings.

The technology is definitely there to make for a more accurately officiated game. It wouldn't cost much more, either.

It's the same thing in baseball. Baseball is even easier, though. They could get the game to 99.9% correct calls all the time. But then there is no more human element to lean on for odd outcomes.

They are shows, after all.

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

MJeff posted:

*Cowboys fan posts repeatedly disproven info about why the call was Actually Right*
*Everybody explains for the fifteenth time why that is very stupid and wrong*

Shinjobi: Why are the Cowboys so persecuted :qq:

i'd respect cowboys fans if they actually bragged about benefitting from the ref gently caress up but instead their "we're the most oppressed race since gamers" shtick

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

What is there to brag about. Unless you think they rigged the game in the cowboys favor in hope the Eagles chocked against the cards

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
The refs loving up the tripping call was bad and shouldn't have happened but I'll always give refs a bit of leeway for messing up a play in real time, football is hard to see everything perfectly at speed and its one of the reasons we need a skyjudge to do quick confirmations on things and full time officials who are better trained

Brad Allen being told BEFOREHAND by Campbell about what the Lions planned to do, ignore the guy right in front of him telling him he's reporting and announcing the wrong guy is the ref being asleep at the wheel and absolutely failing to do his job and the NFL just decided to blame the Lions because the NFL doubles down and protects the officials after every bad call is much worse than loving up a tripping call lmao

Like this is replacement refs poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Febreeze posted:

The refs loving up the tripping call was bad and shouldn't have happened but I'll always give refs a bit of leeway for messing up a play in real time, football is hard to see everything perfectly at speed and its one of the reasons we need a skyjudge to do quick confirmations on things and full time officials who are better trained

Brad Allen being told BEFOREHAND by Campbell about what the Lions planned to do, ignore the guy right in front of him telling him he's reporting and announcing the wrong guy is the ref being asleep at the wheel and absolutely failing to do his job and the NFL just decided to blame the Lions because the NFL doubles down and protects the officials after every bad call is much worse than loving up a tripping call lmao

Like this is replacement refs poo poo

Lol stay mad.