Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

davecrazy posted:

The other guy. He was benched and said gently caress you I won’t dress. Allegedly.

Looks like Mark Madden is the one pushing the story, so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

really queer Christmas posted:

How the gently caress are the saints in the top half offensively.

The charts are answering the question "On every new 1st&10 (or 1st&Goal), what was the outcome of that particular series?", and it's sorted in descending order of "Sum of Touchdowns + First Downs" (or if you prefer, ascending order of "Field Goals + Punts + Turnovers").

Basically, it should line up fairly well with "Yards Gained per Drive", with differentiations caused by outliers in turnover or explosive play rates (since both will reduce the number of new 1st&10s achieved per drive).

Saints are very middle-of-the-pack but have a low turnover rate so they rose to the sort-of top of that group and snuck into "top half of offenses" as per Baldwin's chart.

To me, all these various charts and graphs really emphasize one truth that the loudest reporters and fans often neglect (the former usually intentionally to generate debates):

Play to play, series to series, drive to drive, game to game, the majority of the league are neck-and-neck. The sample size is incredibly small, and the number of players and coaches impacting the outcome of each play is very large. In the aggregate, each game will have a winner, but anyone using that as evidence as demonstrable superiority/inferiority is trying way too hard to find order within disorder.

It's what makes football (and rugby, and related sports) fun to follow and discuss, and it's why "Any Given Sunday" actually bears out in reality. Unfortunately (or fortunately, if it's a Barstool shithead) it also can cause some of the most ridiculous breakdowns and outbursts in a person.

:havlat:

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

gently caress Tepper

Still only second most egregious public act by an org last weekend

"Legendary" abusive piece of poo poo, get hosed whichever higher-ups pushed for that bullshit

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

elime anning posted:

This is a beautiful, and I believe true, post. thank you kalen

:shobon:

While finding those drive stats I noticed some wild stats:

- Dallas has scored offensive points on 49.7% of drives this year; since it doesn't mention any exclusions, I assume that includes end-of-half/game kneeldowns, so they're putting up points on more than half of their "true" drives.

- San Fran, Philly, Baltimore, and Miami all cluster around the 45% value; I wonder how much of Dallas' sizable lead is due to Brandon Aubrey having a stellar year;

- The Jets, Giants, and Pats are all in the 20-25% range. The punters deserve additional compensation imo.

Pointless Trivia Question Time:

Every team has had at least 161 drives this season, and all teams average between 10 and 13 offensive drives per game.

Which teams end a drive with a turnover most/least frequently?

pre:
Tm.   T.O.%
---   -----
???   18.5%
???   16.3%
???   14.9%
???   14.9%
???    8.5%
???    7.8%
???    7.1%

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Shinjobi posted:

So to recap how that game ended:

Refs botching a judgment call (the tripping) deserves to be called out and the refs should be held accountable, yes.

It's unfortunately going to occur in a sport with 22 elite-level athletes smashing each other or sprinting away from each other while being observed by 6 or 7 middle-aged (or older) lawyers and whatnot. Hopefully the oversights end up balancing out for teams in the long run.

The Lions coaching staff assembled a clever playcall that followed the rules, and was designed to create misdirection by purposefully mimicking what "normally happens" when a lineman reports as eligible. Essentially, they ran a gosh darn play-action during their substitutions before that two-point attempt.

It should have been a moment where creativity, bravado, and loads of practice reps were rewarded with a legit opportunity to achieve something at the most high-leverage moment of a crucial prime-time game.

And the ref hosed it up, when there were no players running and blocking and tackling at max intensity, when there was unlimited time to get it right, when there was no excuse to be asleep at the switch when the entire plan had been drawn on the board for the refs a mere 4 hours earlier.

It's as bad as loving up how a coin flip is called, or awarding a team a 5th down. What a drat shame, everyone lost out on something good, smart, and cool that play.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

MJeff posted:

I cannot promise I will not simp for the catgirl refs.

.....:dafuq:

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

The gently caress is a Vtuber

Actually, ignore that, I'm sure the answer will just raise further questions that irk my gumption

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

:hellyeah:

I'm taking this as the definitive answer re: Vtubers, which is surely the most perplexing type of tuber-y out there.

the gently caress, "breadtube"?
that's it, i'm outta here, gin cream will dull the pain

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

kalensc posted:

Pointless Trivia Question Time:

Every team has had at least 161 drives this season, and all teams average between 10 and 13 offensive drives per game.

Which teams end a drive with a turnover most/least frequently?

pre:
Tm.   T.O.%
---   -----
???   18.5%
???   16.3%
???   14.9%
???   14.9%
???    8.5%
???    7.8%
???    7.1%

elime anning posted:

Jags, eagles, bills, and vikings

then ravens, browns, steelers [yeah all afc north]

are my guesses

Jags were an excellent guess! Juuust outside this subset though, as they're #5 at 14.6%.

Vikings are indeed the #1 team in terms of turnovers per drive! :confuoot:

And the Steelers are the #1 team at avoiding turnovers on a per drive basis! :toot:

Of the other four teams listed, three of those teams were relatively solid guesses, while one actually belongs in the opposite group.

pre:
Tm.   T.O.%
---   -----
MIN   18.5%
???   16.3%
???   14.9%
???   14.9%
???    8.5%
???    7.8%
PIT    7.1%

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Codependent Poster posted:

Steichen runs a good offensive scheme that everyone buys into. It's not always successful and they're missing the run threat that they had with Richardson, but they have still shown the ability to score on good defenses like when they put up a ton of yards on the Browns.

Colts + run game + Richardson had me thinking Trent for a good five seconds, and I wondered what parallel reality I'd slid into

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Fat Jesus posted:

Who's everyone's fav referee?

This guy's cool, albeit college

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iaunp57zSS4