Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
You may not like it, but this is what peak performance looks like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The phantom menace fight is the best of thr prequel fights, because it has cool music and feels like the enviornment and positioning matters.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.
Gonna old man shout at clouds for a minute:

Normie standards for pretty much all art are in the toilet. I'm not even talking about taste or aesthetic quality.

I'd put any school photo day shot up against the finest thumbnails YouTube has to offer, the cheesiest dogs playing poker painting up against the cutting edge of ""AI"" """art"""", the lamest 70s dad rock band vs machine gun Kelly.

I blame two things:

YouTube and Coldplay.

jazzyjay
Sep 11, 2003

PULL OVER
The best lightsaber fight is clearly throne room when Luke is going ham cause he's finally been triggered towards the Dark side and beats vader to the ground and then pulls himself back at the last minute cause it's the culmination of all the themes of the whole wait no sorry my mistake it's when Yoda pulls out his little laser sword and does a flip

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Tunicate posted:

The phantom menace fight is the best of thr prequel fights, because it has cool music and feels like the enviornment and positioning matters.

My favorite part of the phantom menace fight is when they introduce speedy-go-fast powers earlier in the movie, like they were setting up something to be clutch and save the day later.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

counterfeitsaint posted:

My favorite part of the phantom menace fight is when they introduce speedy-go-fast powers earlier in the movie, like they were setting up something to be clutch and save the day later.

was that powers? I think that was just a VFX error

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Tunicate posted:

was that powers? I think that was just a VFX error

It's like when Wookieepedia invented the Force Kick technique to explain how Luke was able to kick a man when the camera clearly showed him missing.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

kalel posted:

what's the difference between a jj abrams mystery box and something like twin peaks? how did lynch succeed where so many of his imitators failed

Lynch is not presenting the audience with mystery boxes. His films are not mysteries or puzzles to be solved, generally speaking. They are about vibes and feelings and making you feel a certain way and evoking a mood. The plot in his works is generally something that serves as a vehicle to bring the audience to a certain place, not as something to be engaged with directly, per se. Like all the people who try and explain his stuff generally miss the point hard. They're not something you "solve" they're something you experience. They're all about inducing feelings and emotions.

Abrams and his ilk the opposite. No meaning, no vibes, no emotions, just an endless series of ill-conceived puzzles to be solved.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

jazzyjay posted:

The best lightsaber fight is clearly throne room when Luke is going ham cause he's finally been triggered towards the Dark side and beats vader to the ground and then pulls himself back at the last minute cause it's the culmination of all the themes of the whole wait no sorry my mistake it's when Yoda pulls out his little laser sword and does a flip

It's also accompanied by the best music cue in the franchise, which is frustratingly hard to find on most releases of the soundtrack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqvv77iTMhM

I mean, I like Duel of the Fates well enough, but it's really just John Williams writing something awesome all on his own because Lucas gave him nothing to work with character-wise. But that half-minute tucked away in the middle of "The Battle of Endor II" while Luke is drat near killing Vader in a fit of rage... :discourse:

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

Lynch is a master of themes, and his symbolism is more consistent than he gets credit for, but a lot of times the symbols can have different meanings depending on which theme you're applying to them. the result is films that work on multiple levels, like a puzzle that makes a slightly different picture depending on how you arrange it.

did lost have themes?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Squiggle posted:

BSG is worth it for the Bear McCreary soundrack in general and the song Prelude to War specifically, and the entire episode it's from. Ensign Ro rides hard.

"I'm getting my men."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4PoBrrp6bY

Oh yeah and BSG isn’t streaming anywhere in the US. gently caress you Universal.

Sir Lemming posted:

It's also accompanied by the best music cue in the franchise, which is frustratingly hard to find on most releases of the soundtrack.

I mean, I like Duel of the Fates well enough, but it's really just John Williams writing something awesome all on his own because Lucas gave him nothing to work with character-wise. But that half-minute tucked away in the middle of "The Battle of Endor II" while Luke is drat near killing Vader in a fit of rage... :discourse:

When the special editions were released they dropped 2 disc sound tracks for each movie. They have every note of music from the movies, additional tracks, and some ‘full’ versions of certain themes. I definitely recommend tracking those down.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Apr 17, 2024

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Ah cool, they are going to add in this guy then.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

some loving bullshit

arc hammer this is an intervention. you've been posting twitter posts about star wars a lot lately, and I just want you to know we're all here for you.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Jose Oquendo posted:

Oh yeah and BSG isn’t streaming anywhere in the US. gently caress you Universal.

Yeah it is. On my Plex server. gently caress you Universal.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

BSG not streaming anywhere is just yet another obvious sign that the streaming model is hosed and not in anyone’s best interest

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Is it not streaming on Prime or Peacock anymore?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Sir Lemming posted:

Just choppin' on Vader like he was firewood.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Arc Hammer posted:

Is it not streaming on Prime or Peacock anymore?

no. in fact, it's not streaming anywhere

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Lynch is not presenting the audience with mystery boxes. His films are not mysteries or puzzles to be solved, generally speaking. They are about vibes and feelings and making you feel a certain way and evoking a mood. The plot in his works is generally something that serves as a vehicle to bring the audience to a certain place, not as something to be engaged with directly, per se. Like all the people who try and explain his stuff generally miss the point hard. They're not something you "solve" they're something you experience. They're all about inducing feelings and emotions.

Abrams and his ilk the opposite. No meaning, no vibes, no emotions, just an endless series of ill-conceived puzzles to be solved.

I actually think Lynch is generally dealing with mystery, but more in the original Greek sense, which is basically exactly what you just described: an experience that defies rational explanation. Part of what makes Twin Peaks interesting is that it sets itself up as one type of mystery, then reveals itself as the other.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

Lynch is a master of themes, and his symbolism is more consistent than he gets credit for, but a lot of times the symbols can have different meanings depending on which theme you're applying to them. the result is films that work on multiple levels, like a puzzle that makes a slightly different picture depending on how you arrange it.

did lost have themes?

It did have themes like "science vs faith." However the island ended up being magic so that didn't really work by the forth season.

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Just choppin' on Vader like he was firewood.

Lightsabers used to feel dangerous. That noise they made and the way Luke and Vader faced off just looking for an opening. It was tense. First movie set the weapon up so well with that rude alien getting his hand lopped off. It doesn't even take any force, it well burn through you with a touch. Everyone was so drat fearless around them in the prequels. Like they replaced the lightsaber with glow sticks.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

Keromaru5 posted:

I actually think Lynch is generally dealing with mystery, but more in the original Greek sense, which is basically exactly what you just described: an experience that defies rational explanation. Part of what makes Twin Peaks interesting is that it sets itself up as one type of mystery, then reveals itself as the other.

nail on the head. i feel like that type of greek mystery is sorely lacking in modern western media. everything needs a rational explanation, has to fit into a framework, has to make sense. love the lynchian approach so much

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Flubby posted:

Lightsabers used to feel dangerous. That noise they made and the way Luke and Vader faced off just looking for an opening. It was tense. First movie set the weapon up so well with that rude alien getting his hand lopped off. It doesn't even take any force, it well burn through you with a touch. Everyone was so drat fearless around them in the prequels. Like they replaced the lightsaber with glow sticks.

1977: These things will gently caress you up
2024: You’ll be mildly inconvenienced if you’re impaled by one.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

they should make a walk hard sequel where dewey's brother shows up with robot legs

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

they should make a walk hard sequel where dewey's brother shows up with robot legs

"Wrong son died now?"
"Wrong son died now!"

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Keromaru5 posted:

Yeah, well said.
Just always bothers me when people try to "solve" his movies. Like, no, that's not the point. Lynch is, in many ways, extremely unsubtle and on-the-nose as a filmmaker. He's very upfront. People just tend to overthink things.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
plus lynch is out here doing poo poo like this https://www.wallpaper.com/design-interiors/david-lynch-salone-del-mobile-2024

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Whoa I’m birthday high but ANDOR idea…….What if the big twist is that Luthen isn’t a Jedi, but a Palpatine deep plant. He’s bolstering the rebels because the Empire needs a bad guy to fund the military complex and actual control.

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast
i like the ones where they turn off their lightsabers and decide to be friends instead of fighting

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Pac and Cheese posted:

i like the ones where they turn off their lightsabers and decide to be friends instead of fighting

Yeah that guy is a pretty good youtuber

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57w_Stf4wmo

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

a sexual elk posted:

Whoa I’m birthday high but ANDOR idea…….What if the big twist is that Luthen isn’t a Jedi, but a Palpatine deep plant. He’s bolstering the rebels because the Empire needs a bad guy to fund the military complex and actual control.

A spectre of threat if you will

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast

Tunicate posted:

Yeah that guy is a pretty good youtuber

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57w_Stf4wmo

i haven't seen this i was inspired by the end of mysteries of the sith https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNfmSNmDd3E

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Flubby posted:

First movie set the weapon up so well with that rude alien getting his hand lopped off.

Fun fact

NoneMoreNegative posted:

lol drat when Ben Kenobi chops an arm off in the Cantina it was originally planned to be a head instead

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

no. in fact, it's not streaming anywhere

Lmao this rules.

gently caress these streaming platforms forever

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

TPM fight because green saber and blue saber on double red saber is the sickest combo possible. No topping it

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

You could come close with green, double blue (single) vs double purple (dual) and red . Mace windy cyborg

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

The Respawn jedi game has a lightsaber that changes color with every blow and they will 100% give that someone at some point

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

There should be a color blind Jedi who never knows who he should be attacking and constantly kills his own dudes

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast
rainbow pride lightsaber vs thin blue line lightsaber

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

Endless Trash posted:

There should be a color blind Jedi who never knows who he should be attacking and constantly kills his own dudes

lol