Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

Gutcruncher posted:

The forest one is from his daughter, actually

jesus, was it not enough that good directors' kids got to make terrible movies now its just all of them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Agnostalgia posted:

jesus, was it not enough that good directors' kids got to make terrible movies now its just all of them?

That's the twist.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

the twist of the movie with batista was that there was no twist for once, making it the best shyamalan movie in decades

also batista is a good enough actor to carry an otherwise blah movie

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

Weembles posted:

I don't think Gai-Jin was meant to be a direct sequel to Shogun as much as it's just another one of the books Clavell wrote for his slightly alt-history asia series.

Lmfao that is some holiday uncle level racism.
"You know, the whole of Asia, Hong Kong, Japan, and of course everyone's favourite Asian nation, Iran".

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Agnostalgia posted:

We have to raise nepobaby standards for the sake of society.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Kingo Ligma posted:

"You know, the whole of Asia, Hong Kong, Japan, and of course everyone's favourite Asian nation, Iran".
What continent do you think Iran is in?

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Kingo Ligma posted:

We have to raise nepobaby standards for the sake of society.

please don’t use the n word you toxic bigot

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Kingo Ligma posted:

jfc :eng99:

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

are all the countries with -sia on asia? and was mrs and mr dink called that cause they were double income no kids?

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

That DICK! posted:

are all the countries with -sia on asia? and was mrs and mr dink called that cause they were double income no kids?

The eggheads at doug.fandom.com seem to confirm your hypothesis

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
guess im going out to watch a 3 hour documentary about ennio morricone for $5 tonight wish my bladder luck because they also sell $4 pbrs

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
also my rear end becaues the chairs in this theater suck, like theyre straight up just chairs

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Agnostalgia posted:

Maybe the twist will be that she's a really good director?

Yeah, probably not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYo91Fq9tKY

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Failson posted:

Yeah, probably not.

Trailer gives it away. They got tentacle hands. That’s the twist. They are tentacle folks.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I loved shogun but the last episode left me deeply unsatisfied and feeling kinda blue balled. But that's basically exactly how the book ends too, so I don't really blame them. You're just left to infer and imagine what happened afterwards but I wanted some extended cut Return of the King style ending.

I ended up reading a ton about the actual guy the Anjin was based off of, and boy he had a much more interesting story where everything covered by the Shogun miniseries was barely the beginning of.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

Failson posted:

Yeah, probably not.

wait why the gently caress is his daughter ishana night shymalan is night part of his last name or did he decide he had to give all his kids his iconic middle name

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

Agnostalgia posted:

wait why the gently caress is his daughter ishana night shymalan is night part of his last name or did he decide he had to give all his kids his iconic middle name

i thought it was his sonic oc name, as in night the hedgehog

billymumphrey
Mar 2, 2022

dreezy posted:

i accidentally pressed the netflix button on my remote and saw band of brothers is on netflix now so if you have that and not hbo and dont have the dvds or whatever and havent seen that you should watch band of brothers instead. i will accept saving it for the 80th anniversary of d-day in june but i will not accept not watching it.

This wouldn't happen if you had the Markus button...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KdGF_6x1FI&t=142s

billymumphrey
Mar 2, 2022

Agnostalgia posted:

If he was really committed to the twists, surely it would be ishana day shymalan...

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/isaacfeldberg/status/1783530466227683448?t=OmY3lIjx1vpQ3s4ZVfO4cQ&s=19

I honestly thought it was supposed to be a sequel. Do you think he'll take a 30 second moped ride from Spain to Italy in this one?

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
today's cinematrix had "movies set in space" with james earl jones, harrison ford, and liam nii-san as categories and I sat there for like 5 minutes going "wtf. uh. ? ... jeez, was he in apollo 13? air force onnnnne no hahaha. james earl jones? was james earl jones in armageddon or deep impact or..?.? wtf is going on. does mount olympus count as space?"

then of course I realized what was happening and felt like a complete idiot
ford was in ender's game, jones was in quantum quest, and neeson was in men in black 4. duh-doi

if nobody has to put on an astronaut suit, your movie's not set in space, gently caress you

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
The popes exorcist was funny, it starts out basically like “hey it’s like the exorcist but lamer” and then he goes underground and proves the crusades weren’t the Christian’s fault and then kung fu fights demons and then gets accepted into the avengers

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Gutcruncher posted:

The popes exorcist was funny, it starts out basically like “hey it’s like the exorcist but lamer” and then he goes underground and proves the crusades weren’t the Christian’s fault and then kung fu fights demons and then gets accepted into the avengers

I've always found it in really poor taste when some work of fiction decides to take some horrific historical event and put some new spin on it to absolve the perpetrators or somehow make it seem like it was all for a good reason we just don't know about. I think it was White Wolf who got correctly poo poo on for creating some WWII source book that explained all the behind the scenes supernatural stuff going on during the war and how, actually, the holocaust was kinda good or at least a necessary evil.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Baronjutter posted:

I've always found it in really poor taste when some work of fiction decides to take some horrific historical event and put some new spin on it to absolve the perpetrators or somehow make it seem like it was all for a good reason we just don't know about.
I liked in metal gear solid 3 where, the u.s. agreeing to remove icbms from turkey during the cuban missile crisis was actually a cover, because the u.s. had been planning to do that anyway (which is actually true, but the reason was that we'd secretly figured out nuclear subs, so, like, who gives a poo poo) so it didn't really make sense for the soviets to give up such a strong strategic advantage as having nuclear launch sites in cuba in exchange for basically nothing. the real reason (in game) of course was revealed to be that YOU are metal gear solid 3 which I thought was a cool way to play with historicity in a way that's not insulting to the people who were actually involved

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Baronjutter posted:

I've always found it in really poor taste when some work of fiction decides to take some horrific historical event and put some new spin on it to absolve the perpetrators or somehow make it seem like it was all for a good reason we just don't know about. I think it was White Wolf who got correctly poo poo on for creating some WWII source book that explained all the behind the scenes supernatural stuff going on during the war and how, actually, the holocaust was kinda good or at least a necessary evil.

It's like that time in star wars when it turned out the emperor knew that bizarre aliens were going to invade the galaxy and kill everyone, so that's why he needed death stars and a huge military buildup.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
One of the saving graces of the sequel movies was going "At least they removed all the stupid poo poo that happened to Han and Leia's kids.". Then, you know know, the movies happened.

.....still think it's a wash on which one was stupider. No, I take it back, it's the books. At least Adam Driver can act.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Not having read the books, nothing could be dumber than Adam driver kills Han Solo for…. Some reason? He was mad that Luke tried to kill Jim because he had a bad dream I guess

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

kalel posted:

he appears in three denis villeneuve films: prisoners, blade runner 2049, and dune. he also has a small role in twin peaks: the return. but yeah looking at his filmography, everything else really is either garbage or superhero movies (garbage)

No one's seen it, but Relaxer is a trip.

https://letterboxd.com/film/relaxer/

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

poisonpill posted:

Not having read the books, nothing could be dumber than Adam driver kills Han Solo for…. Some reason? He was mad that Luke tried to kill Jim because he had a bad dream I guess

No, there's plenty that could be dumber than Adam Driver killing Han Solo.

Like BDSM Space Aztecs breeding murder hounds that eviscerate Han and Leia's youngest son. Then their eldest son turns evil and convinces his dead brother's girlfriend to join him by coercing her with time travel sex with said dead brother. Then his twin sister decides that the best weapon to bring to a lightsaber fight is a Mandalorian machete, which she uses to cut off his arm. Then she tracks him down to a star destroyer he's named after his dead brother and has a rematch with him where she throws him into a box of used syringes before stabbing him through the heart with a lightsaber. Then she and her parents all watch as his body rolls along a conveyor belt into a garbage incinerator.

Also during this time dead brother's ex GF is sexually assaulting Luke's 14 year old son while he's strapped down to a torture rack. She gets a redemption arc in the next book series.

And that dead brother's name was Anakin Solo, younger brother to Jacen and Jaina solo.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

dreezy posted:

man space cop sucked

It's bad, but it was silly enough to make me laugh which is more than I can say for The Room which was just baffling to me. A woman I was seeing convinced me to watch it with her, and I guess it's interesting in the fact that it fails at literally every single aspect of filmmaking but it's not worth watching at all.

I watched Roar for the first time recently and despite watching it I can't believe that film exists.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

poisonpill posted:

Snoke tells him to do it as a point-of-no-return to him being evil. That's why han's ghost has to come back and say "I forgive you. You can be good again."

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Arc Hammer posted:

Like BDSM Space Aztecs breeding murder hounds that eviscerate Han and Leia's youngest son. Then their eldest son turns evil and convinces his dead brother's girlfriend to join him by coercing her with time travel sex with said dead brother. Then his twin sister decides that the best weapon to bring to a lightsaber fight is a Mandalorian machete, which she uses to cut off his arm. Then she tracks him down to a star destroyer he's named after his dead brother and has a rematch with him where she throws him into a box of used syringes before stabbing him through the heart with a lightsaber. Then she and her parents all watch as his body rolls along a conveyor belt into a garbage incinerator.

Also during this time dead brother's ex GF is sexually assaulting Luke's 14 year old son while he's strapped down to a torture rack. She gets a redemption arc in the next book series.

And that dead brother's name was Anakin Solo, younger brother to Jacen and Jaina solo.

Thanks heaps for posting this. I got about 5 words in and my eyes slid right off. I had no desire to bring anything else from this into my life.

Instead it gave me the opportunity to really reflect on my personal journey and genuinely appreciate the growth that allowed me to just immediately peace out from nonsense with absolutely no fomo, curiosity, or even anger.

Namaste.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Arc Hammer posted:

https://twitter.com/isaacfeldberg/status/1783530466227683448?t=OmY3lIjx1vpQ3s4ZVfO4cQ&s=19

I honestly thought it was supposed to be a sequel. Do you think he'll take a 30 second moped ride from Spain to Italy in this one?

If he doesn't then why even bother making the movie

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Going to see this tomorrow, mostly because I'm a fan of Theda Hammel's work. This trailer makes it look pretty terrible, but I'm holding out hope that it won't seem like a callback to 2000s-era IFC Originals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaaZ8d0S5BA

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Arc Hammer posted:

Oooof. When I checked out the dumbest stuff was a tossup between the 'Young Readers' Prince of the Jedi books, and anything written by Kevin J. Anderson. That's even worse.

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

isn’t the new jedi order series like 20 books long too

Molothecat
Jul 25, 2007

Wrath, hate, pain, and death!

Disney is cowardly for not adopting the bug-loving adventures immediately prior to all the solo children murdering each other

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Star Wars: 12 films, 2 good ones (OG and empire), one okay (rotj), 9 poo poo.
Hellraiser: 11 films, 3 good ones (1, 2 and the reboot), one okay (5), 7 poo poo.

Though to be fair the shittiest hellraiser films are way worse than any bad star wars film.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Apropos of nothing, today I was thinking about Arrested Development and was thinking how it is kind of a similar plot to Game of Thrones in that a family is jockeying for power and there are a lot of illegitimate children.

I guess Succession is kind of like that too really.

It was really because I was thinking about how there were some people in the Bluth family who actually were illegitimate (maeby) and others who were legitimate but were outside it (Steve holt!)

Anyway I think about dumb poo poo while sitting in traffic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

priznat posted:

Apropos of nothing, today I was thinking about Arrested Development and was thinking how it is kind of a similar plot to Game of Thrones in that a family is jockeying for power and there are a lot of illegitimate children.

I guess Succession is kind of like that too really.

It was really because I was thinking about how there were some people in the Bluth family who actually were illegitimate (maeby) and others who were legitimate but were outside it (Steve holt!)

Anyway I think about dumb poo poo while sitting in traffic.
When netflix really runs out of ideas maybe they'll make a reboot of arrested development as a serious drama