Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

PostNouveau posted:

Watched some X-Men 97. It hits all the nostalgia buttons, but seems way more dramatic than I remember it being when I was a kid. In every episode, someone's getting murdered, or turning out to be a clone, or sending their newborn to the future because it's got a horrible disease that they can't cure in the present.

Also they killed my favorite one from when I was kid :mad:

last week i learned that cyclop's real name is scott summers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

LazyMaybe posted:

fallout's ok

Fallout was really fun. I think the lesser Nolan learned some lessons from Westworld (and trying too hard to keep that show’s secrets from the internet) and was just happy to make a show where the mystery was satisfying even for people who knew what was up the whole time.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Also, :lol: that Disney put one final insult to the people who dared to pay for their Star Wars Hotel fiasco...

https://x.com/JennyENicholson/status/1783142548783194184

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

LanceHunter posted:

Also, :lol: that Disney put one final insult to the people who dared to pay for their Star Wars Hotel fiasco...

lol Jenny and other hardcore Disney adults deserve everything they got from the SW hotel disaster.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I'm a parent and we tried to watch a few episodes with our kid and couldn't really stand it

Now I know your origin story I realise I've been interpreting your username the wrong way round this entire time 😕

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

bluey is for the same adult babies who love ted lasso and hamilton

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

LanceHunter posted:

https://x.com/jennyenicholson/status/1783153541856870566?s=46&t=nGLHvHjFd0Mgr2TKVx4enQ

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Yes, if I'm going to spend 100+ dollars on a star wars cosplay outfit, it's going to be on stuff that makes me look like a regular civilian instead of a cool adventurer.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

It’s a blue shirt with like sleeve wraps, or a green tee with like a decorative pattern. Far cry from like Han Solo or a star pilot costume

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Are we ever going to get Jenny's Star Wars Hotel saga? Am I going to have to sign up for a patreon to hear the account?

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

LanceHunter posted:

Fallout was really fun. I think the lesser Nolan learned some lessons from Westworld (and trying too hard to keep that show’s secrets from the internet) and was just happy to make a show where the mystery was satisfying even for people who knew what was up the whole time.

Not ashamed to admit that the slow pan over the NCR flag where the New Vegas theme played suddenly in episode 6 got some applause out of me.

also the post credits stinger shows that they are headed to new Vegas in season 2 so I’m in. Deathclaw skull in the stinger as well. Oh and New Vegas appears to be largely destroyed as the show takes place 15 years after the events of New Vegas the game. Wonder which ending they will make canon? Obv not Mr House if the strip is destroyed.

I’m also glad that dogmeat is now officially dogmeat instead of “subject XJwhstever”.

Frank Frank fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Apr 25, 2024

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

dreezy posted:

man space cop sucked

I knew it was going to suck so the first time I watched it I had the commentary track on which was more fun than the movie.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009
Late Night with the Devil was a fun and unique movie, feels weird at this point to see anything good on Shudder. Only real complaint is some of the stuff at the beginning (narration, file footage) makes it seems like a mockumentary, which needlessly makes it confusing once stuff that isn't being diagetically filmed happens, and the ending fell a little flat.

Also nice to see David Dastmalchian in something other than a superhero movie or total garbage, he gave a good performance.

billymumphrey
Mar 2, 2022
David Dastmalchian is a good "hey it's that guy!" actor

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
shogun really does end on a wet fart

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Agnostalgia posted:

Also nice to see David Dastmalchian in something other than a superhero movie or total garbage, he gave a good performance.

he appears in three denis villeneuve films: prisoners, blade runner 2049, and dune. he also has a small role in twin peaks: the return. but yeah looking at his filmography, everything else really is either garbage or superhero movies (garbage)

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 days!)

Regular Wario posted:

shogun really does end on a wet fart

it also middled on a wet fart

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

where wuz big battle? character dee-veloopment iz 4 dum dum! NED BIG BATTLE NOW OR SHOW SUX

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
i wasnt expecting a big battle, it was just kind of flat and there was an old man in bed for some reason

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

I wonder if FX'll do the actual sequel Gai-Jin with Struan's or a Yasuke prequel. Call it Dictator.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Arbite posted:

I wonder if FX'll do the actual sequel Gai-Jin with Struan's or a Yasuke prequel. Call it Dictator.

I don't think Gai-Jin was meant to be a direct sequel to Shogun as much as it's just another one of the books Clavell wrote for his slightly alt-history asia series.

Wikipedia posted:

The Asian Saga consists of six novels:

King Rat (1962), set in a Japanese POW camp in Singapore in 1945.
Tai-Pan (1966), set in Hong Kong in 1841
Shogun (1975), set in Japan from 1600 onwards
Noble House (1981), set in Hong Kong in 1963
Whirlwind (1986), set in Iran in 1979.
Gai-Jin (1993), set in Japan in 1862

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i read every single one of those books when i was a kid but i can't remember the plots to any of them

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Weembles posted:

I don't think Gai-Jin was meant to be a direct sequel to Shogun as much as it's just another one of the books Clavell wrote for his slightly alt-history asia series.

It's more of a sequel to Tai-Pan but it does cover the end well, beginning of the end of what Toranaga started. Also fixes his error from Noble House where Clavell forgot the Toranaga in Yoshi Toranaga was his given name, and so had his descendants adopt it as the new family name. And it's more Japan, which FX may want more of.

Man, the Japanese parts of Gai-Jin were much better than the Europeans.' I wanted more of the old west gunslinging peasant from Yokosuka, and less from the syphilytic French blackmailer.

Mozi posted:

i read every single one of those books when i was a kid but i can't remember the plots to any of them

King Rat (1962), set in a Japanese POW camp in Singapore in 1945.

"Sergeants beat the corporals, corporals beat the privates, privates beat the Koreans." You can definitely read the first hand authenticity of this awful place of starvation and misery.

Tai-Pan (1966), set in Hong Kong in 1841

How the top stay on top in Hong Kong.

Shogun (1975), set in Japan from 1600 onwards

Two desperate men need their enemies to hang themselves

Noble House (1981), set in Hong Kong in 1963

How the top stay on top in Hong Kong

Whirlwind (1986), set in Iran in 1979.

'Honey, I know we're fleeing for our lives in this helicopter and are an hour from safety but I really need a nap.'

Gai-Jin (1993), set in Japan in 1862

'I'm Toranaga Yoshi. Not to be confused with Yoshi Toranaga.'

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

counterfeitsaint posted:

Are we ever going to get Jenny's Star Wars Hotel saga? Am I going to have to sign up for a patreon to hear the account?

She released 2 30+ minute teasers of the upcoming video on her Patreon recently, it'll be finished soon.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The previews are like 5 out of the 30 parts that are planned or something, it's being worked on but I personally would not make any commitment about it being soon

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Jurassic World 3 appeared on netflix so I gave it watch.
It stinks!
Dumb and plodding. Owen Thunderguns is just tiresome as a character. The original cast are sleepwalking through the movie. Why did they bring Dodgeson, the nobody cares guy from JP1, back? Why is he now the worlds most boring evil billionaire?
The plot of a GM crop company creating an ecological disaster that their IP was immune to is honestly not a bad idea - for a different movie without dinosaurs.

SeenYourPoopypants
Mar 10, 2024
Hey everybody,
Does anyone know the name of a movie from i think the early 90s where a young guy goes out to a cabin for the weekend but gets held hostage and tortured by a gang of sorority girls, so he has to kill them one by one and escapes, but at the end his cousin reveals to him it was just a prank he arranged and the guy admits he killed them all and it ends with the cousin just screaming in terror?
E: I think Denzel Washington was in it

SeenYourPoopypants fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Apr 25, 2024

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

No Mods No Masters posted:

The previews are like 5 out of the 30 parts that are planned or something, it's being worked on but I personally would not make any commitment about it being soon

She's got that zach snyder ego

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

bitterandtwisted posted:

Jurassic World 3 appeared on netflix so I gave it watch.
It stinks!
Dumb and plodding. Owen Thunderguns is just tiresome as a character. The original cast are sleepwalking through the movie. Why did they bring Dodgeson, the nobody cares guy from JP1, back? Why is he now the worlds most boring evil billionaire?
The plot of a GM crop company creating an ecological disaster that their IP was immune to is honestly not a bad idea - for a different movie without dinosaurs.

i accidentally pressed the netflix button on my remote and saw band of brothers is on netflix now so if you have that and not hbo and dont have the dvds or whatever and havent seen that you should watch band of brothers instead. i will accept saving it for the 80th anniversary of d-day in june but i will not accept not watching it.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

SeenYourPoopypants posted:

Hey everybody,
Does anyone know the name of a movie from i think the early 90s where a young guy goes out to a cabin for the weekend but gets held hostage and tortured by a gang of sorority girls, so he has to kill them one by one and escapes, but at the end his cousin reveals to him it was just a prank he arranged and the guy admits he killed them all and it ends with the cousin just screaming in terror?

Hi sorry, what was that old movie where a depressed schlubby guy finds out he still has the high score on an arcade machine from his childhood so he tries to take it home without cutting off the power and through a series of wacky mishaps he learns about letting go and becoming a better person? I think Jeremy Renner was in it.

This is certainly a weird gimmick.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

That’s The Game. Mike Douglas

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Hey everybody,

Fallen

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

How easily driftingmouse earns back his beloved quote dopamine, just by posting something different

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

hey y'all, quick question: in what year was the star wars holiday special originally aired?

a) 1977
b) 1978
c) 1982
d) it was never aired on live television

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

im the drat goat of movies.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
goats are known for consuming garbage

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
black phillip is the goat goat

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Does Shyamalan have two movies coming out this year? Something with a forest and a Fanning?

LanceHunter posted:

It would be so funny to buy one of these. As a joke. Yeah. Joke. Not to like, wear all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Failson posted:

Does Shyamalan have two movies coming out this year? Something with a forest and a Fanning?.

The forest one is from his daughter, actually