Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I can't always get into Jenny videos but some of them are pretty entertaining. I know she still exists but doesn't seem to make videos any more. Did she move to some other platform or project?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm super happy for her success, but yeah I'm not paying for jenny content. Good for her though! 40k!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I still see star wars fans constantly trying to think up ways to save the franchise and it always entirely misses the point. They'll just start listing cool characters we haven't seen in live action or "Actually we've had very little official content set in the 6 ABY time frame, there's so much interesting stuff going on in canon".

None of that poo poo matters, what matters is good writing, a good production. But I feel like the fans and disney are still so stuck in this "action figure" mentality where they just need to figure out the right mix of action figures to throw together and surely they'll have a hit. No, just do what Andor did and just do good writing, just give a poo poo about the actual production and not which characters and which force powers are on display

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Everyone seems to be talking about Starship Troopers suddenly on the internet. I've been seeing some wild poo poo including:

-A perfectly great description of the movie being an amazing parody of fascist propaganda. They 100% understood the movie and seemed to really understand fascism and how decaying fascist states need a war. But the closing remarks were then comparing Ukraine and "the west" to the decaying Federation from Starship Troopers and Russia and BRICs to the bugs who are now simply defending themselves and we need to support Russia's defense of their natural sphere of influence and hasten the decay of the fascist west.

-Nazi's and alt-right types going on and on about how even in the movie the federation is in the right and is good and how of course libs rather have humanity destroyed by bugs than ever admit a war economy might need a little discipline. Look how diverse the federation is. HOW can you say they're coded as nazi's or even right wing when there's racial diversity in the movie. This is a genuinely utopian society!

-Actually the Federation is clearly a satire on liberal society because the useless military is head by a BLACK WOMAN who's obviously bad at her job and there's forced diversity everywhere. It's crystal clear that the movie is showing how a society with so much forced diversity and women in the military is destined to fail. The federation's propaganda and brainwashing in school is exactly what the democrats/libs want.

People are loving insane.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Why is jay turning back into a shaggy cave man? I want sexy jay again. Trim that beard, cut and style that hair. Please.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I've never heard of the bloodhound gang and I'm only barely familiar with marilyn manson so I almost wasn't even going to watch it, but golly I just love my boys too much. They can make any low-effort phoned in trivia game charming.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I watched some RLM clips from some years ago and I forgot how much Mike has just actually become Mr. Plinkett at this point. He was a sharp minded handsome man back in the day, now he's bringing a barely coherent purple hands energy to every video. I love every mike era and I hope he's living his best life.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I think he's looking at Rich Evans in that shot.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I like how Mike can't imagine how the Empire works. Like how does any government work? Yeah people join the empire, just like how people join the army or join the state department or become a cop or become a local judge or get a nice paying job at Newport News shipyards. That's the whole point of Andor, it shows the banality of the whole thing. Yeah there's thousands of middle class core worlds paying taxes and funneling tax money from their economies into the empire, just as they did in the republic.

Also they're so correctly mad about the idea of Luthen being a Jedi but then demand an entire missing-the-point-of-the-character rehabilitation arc for arc for Kyle's character? Guys come on, you were so close to understanding the character by seeing the parallels with Andor.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

lol they got a screaming mike face in there

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

God drat this fallout show kinda sucks despite looking pretty good and having good people in it. It has that real amazon vibe to it all, this real writing-for-children vibe where everything is extremely on the nose and the writers want to make sure there's no layers you might not pick up on. Every scene drags on just in case you didn't understand what was going on. It stinks like Foundation, which was an extremely garbage production. I joked that the writing felt so bad Todd Howard must be personally involved, and boy there he is in the credits as a producer. There's just zero subtlety or nuance, and when there is, the show is very quick to remove any subtlety within a minute or two tops just in case you were looking at your phone.

I've only seen the first 3 so far but I'm not sure I have it in me to keep watching.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Sunk Dunk posted:

I’ve been watching tng and I’m on season 2. A couple of questions:

Is rikers beard ever explained?

What exactly is Whoopi’s character? Is she an empath like the other lady or something else?

She's wise and may or may not have some level of magic wizard powers, sometimes.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Squiggle posted:

We hit this scene in our Voyager tour last night and my wife hated it so much that she left the room and went upstairs, her voice fading into the distance while unloading everything she hates about Neelix.

wow, your wife doesn't care for pedophile clown cooks? Sounds like she has some growing up to do.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

dreezy posted:

i never watched voy but it really seems like the premise of being stranded in the alpha quadrant would have been way way better with ds9's tone and direction and serialized survival story that late 90s upn probably wasnt ready for but i also assume everyone feels this way

This is what battlestar was since it's the ds9 writer who went over to voy and was told they can't do any interesting long form arcs. Except he got so excited he could do his brutal gritty drama filled space adventure that he forgot to give BSG a plot.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The actual reason is that frakes was doing some period western or something that required the beard and the trek production thought he looked fine with it so they kept it.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

kalel posted:

I like the beard because it distinguishes him even more from the budget-kirk role he started the show as

Also in the 80's and 90's beards were not so common, while today a man basically is not really a man if he does not have a beard.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Between Lost, BSG, and some really bad D&D DM's I've had over the years I have serious trust issues with "writers" and their loving mystery boxes. It's why I've almost stopped watching shows as their air and only give them a chance once they're totally finished so I know not to waste my time with a show that tries to write a ton of mystery cheques that are all eventually going to bounce.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I loved shogun but the last episode left me deeply unsatisfied and feeling kinda blue balled. But that's basically exactly how the book ends too, so I don't really blame them. You're just left to infer and imagine what happened afterwards but I wanted some extended cut Return of the King style ending.

I ended up reading a ton about the actual guy the Anjin was based off of, and boy he had a much more interesting story where everything covered by the Shogun miniseries was barely the beginning of.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Gutcruncher posted:

The popes exorcist was funny, it starts out basically like “hey it’s like the exorcist but lamer” and then he goes underground and proves the crusades weren’t the Christian’s fault and then kung fu fights demons and then gets accepted into the avengers

I've always found it in really poor taste when some work of fiction decides to take some horrific historical event and put some new spin on it to absolve the perpetrators or somehow make it seem like it was all for a good reason we just don't know about. I think it was White Wolf who got correctly poo poo on for creating some WWII source book that explained all the behind the scenes supernatural stuff going on during the war and how, actually, the holocaust was kinda good or at least a necessary evil.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I feel like such a weirdo that I haven't liked the fallout series at all. Not due to some LORE CANON nitpicks, I just don't think its well written and it feels like a boring chore to watch it. The fact that i was watching it and shogun at the same time didn't help, but it really highlighted the difference in writing and general direction.

Shogun assumes the viewer is watching the show fully, 100% attention is required because nothing is said in the show that isn't important or isn't moving the plot forward. Every subtle inference is important and you'll quickly be lost if you're not actually watching the show. It also assumes the viewer can actually infer things from dialog and body language and understand things that aren't outright stated. Also I never knew what was going to happen next, every development was a surprise and it kept me desperately wanting to know what's going to happen next.

Fallout is a show for people who watch TV while scrolling on their phone. Anything important to the plot is repeated multiple times just to make sure you got it. Nothing is left to be inferred by the viewer so there's no subtly, everything is 100% on the nose. Everything that happens in the show is also very obviously hinted at before it happens, or is an extremely expected "twist" or well trod trope. Like the whole lead up to the "other" vault actually being bad guys made it so incredibly clear what was going to happen, by the time it finally happens I was bored and just wanted them to move the plot forward already after so much time "building up" to it. Fallout makes me constantly want to fast forward or scroll on my phone, because everything feels so drawn out.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

What the hell Panos Cosmatos is a local boy, and around my age. God we might have gone to the same highschool together with him a grade above me. He also cites the whole satanic panic of the 80's as a big influence on him, which I recently learned actually was entirely started in Victoria.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

If Jesus was born today he'd be making 3 hour youtube reviews of individual Bad Batch episodes in which he would be crucified in the comments by die hard fans.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

priznat posted:

I think I read somewhere he went to Vic High, so he probably lived not too far from me (I lived in fairfield/rockland area). A couple years older than me but I went to school way across town in Esquimalt.

What was up with the satanic panic I don’t even remember that!!

I like how I grew up in the exact same neighborhood as another random person in the rlm thread

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Cube is a product of Canadian culture, other cultures just don't *get* the themes involved in Cube.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

https://x.com/JustinTrudeau/status/1786724043908940015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

colonelwest posted:

I’ve long had the urge to stuff Trudeau into a locker and take his lunch money.

Ahh, now I know why…

He's absolutely a huge embarrassing theatre dork. Although if he was a better PM that would end up just being a sort of endearing thing I guess.