Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

sweet geek swag posted:

But Max is doing the same thing with its content to save money! This sounds like a bad money laundering scheme.

Sunk Dunk posted:

i noticed none of the old star trek movies are on paramount+ now. didnt they make a big ad stink that they were THE PLACE TO WATCH STAR TREK!!!!? pieces of poo poo

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

Every streaming service is licensing their content to some other streaming service to generate some revenue to make up for the fact that they’re all massively in debt. :lol:

Check FUBO for your missing content. It’s ostensibly meant for international sports, but since they charge something insane like $70/month, they’re also nabbing every one else’s content. (There’s definitely some kind of money laundering or finance scam going on.)

Sometimes I think the current state of streaming is some kind of 5d chess scheme from the CEO of Plex to drive people to their platform.

I mean, no one in their right mind can actually expect people to want or enjoy ...this *gestures vaguely*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Castor Poe posted:

I know we're hosed up as a species but we don't deserve this

Oh no, if the Metaverse is involved, then this will definitely happen. I'm gonna go post on Threads about this.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiZhdpLXZ8Q

Jokes on them, this already exists and boy is it doing gangbusters.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Non Compos Mentis posted:

Does mikes amusement at old people extend to people in old people makeup or do they need to be genuine old people?

The appearance and makeup can be fake, but the old people problems and physical deterioration must be genuine.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

PostNouveau posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kONMe7YnO8

This appears to be some kind of weird art piece from Will Sasso? I dunno what he's going for but everyone is mad at him now.

I got as far as Hello My Name is Dudesy and now I'm mad at him too.

It's like that waiter from Office Space got turned into an AI and I want to kill him.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Arc Hammer posted:

You can't just say that and not post the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9X_FmCbrIA

I just watched Rebel Moon before checking this thread, and the comparisons here are spot on and hilarious.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Is that really her? She looks like she's aged maybe 5 years since 1989. Especially when she's surrounded by a bunch of ancient, decrepit gargoyles. It's not like her kid or anything?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

KakerMix posted:

Because of streaming piracy has never been easier though

Streaming made pirating easier, but the early days of streaming made legally streaming shows a lot easier and more convenient too. My uh, "friend" stopped pirating entirely back when Netflix was cheap and everything was on it. I know several other people who did as well. The incentive to not pirate is long gone, but the ease of doing so remains. Which is just fine by me lol.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Speaking of True Detective, anyone excited for Season 4? I think it could be cool. The concept of arctic nights has always filled me with uneasiness. I don't usually consider myself afraid of the dark but a few weeks or months of it seems hosed up. Especially if murders are involved.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Vakal posted:

Also it leads to you growing up thinking that babies are made by a girl grinding on a guys stomach.

...are they not?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Mordja posted:

When are they gonna make a Star Wars movie about stablekid?

He was beaten within an inch of his life because he's still a slave and he lost all of his masters livestock.

So yeah, like someone said, a D+ 8 episode series at least.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Don't lock the thread! Where will I go to learn about 90s hip hop artists and how they are embarrassing themselves today?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

poisonpill posted:

Naw, just him. I guess you could call Kid Rock a rapper or something. But you’d have a hard time saying he embarrassed himself. I don’t know if it’s possible for Kid Rock to feel embarrassed.

Ye

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Wasn't there an interview last year with someone who actually knew Shatner personally, but said his twitter account kept acting like they didn't know who he was, thus proving it was not Shatner himself running the account?

Edit: It was Data
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRCN9Toi-Ck

counterfeitsaint fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Jan 18, 2024

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I didn't know that Rich cradling his support Enterprise was something that I needed in my life, but now I can't imagine life without it.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

https://twitter.com/dancow/status/1749491400402432070?t=YzY0_w9oiMC9y42mT2QMfw&s=19

it turns out that the ai posters in true detective were deliberate and there's no way they got caught red handed, no sir.

The set design, with the exception of those posters, has been so good as to actually stand out, its not the kind of thing I usually notice. Everyone's home feels so cramped and claustrophobic and lived in. Whatever excuse they're going to go with for those stupid posters is going to be bad, but everything else has been good enough that they deserve a pass.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Light Gun Man posted:

i think the recent/current American Godzilla movies state that nukes were first developed as an attempt to fight Godzilla. Kind of a weird take but I guess a fun idea.

No.

Castle Bravo was secretly setup to lure and then kill Godzilla rather than just a test, which of course didn't work. No one had any idea about Godzilla until after the war.

American Godzilla movies/shows aren't very good and there's plenty of other, accurate things to criticize them for.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
There's two things that the internet seems to agree on every year. The first is that The Oscars is the most outdated, irrelevant award that no one should ever care about and its just old people living in their own echo chamber and hasn't mattered for years now. The second thing is that whoever got nominated/snubbed this year is an absolute travesty and everyone should be big mad about it for reasons.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Dune.

But like the David Lynch one.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
What makes a scenario where black and white would actually be superior? It's just less visual information.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I'm not arguing against B&W, just trying to understand why it would be chosen over color, a lot of the explanations make a lot of sense.

As for Star Trek's use of color, I remember hearing once the TV manufacturers were pushing for really bright, garish colors that would stand out in a store front window to encourage more people to buy color tvs.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

poisonpill posted:

In honor of Rey getting her own trilogy, what’s the most baffling wtf part of the sequels?

Everything that happens in previous movies is completely invalidated every time. Everyone who fought and died to beat the empire, and succeeded only for there to be a new, identical empire to fight now. It made the whole thing feel like a Saturday morning cartoon where the reset button has to get pressed between episodes. Doesn't matter how many times you win, how many progressively bigger and bigger ships you blow up, at the start the next movie you're still going to be the hopelessly outnumbered plucky rebels fighting the big overwhelmingly powerful empire.

Also Leia surviving in such a stupid way in the second movie, only to do absolutely nothing for the rest of the series and then disappear under a blanket. They knew drat well the actress was dead, they could have just let the character die and nothing about the story would change.

The evil sith knife. Chewie death fake out. God, just everything.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

LanceHunter posted:

A modern-day Gidget with, like, Zendaya in the lead role and Jacob Elordi & Timothée Chalamet as the romantic rivals would sell so many loving tickets to the zoomers that Sony Pictures would be able to buy Disney.

If you're trying to appeal to zoomers, drop the romantic rivals. They're just three completely platonic friends who hang out and have really long discussions about the patriarchy and never gently caress at all.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Wasn't there like an old wooden sailing ship that the British put a modern gun on, and it posed as a merchant vessel and lured out German U-Boats during the war? Is that what this is based on? I'd assume that "on boat" is the only part that will be kept in for the real account.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

X JAKK posted:

When Rasputin died he took all the fun with him.

Just like in real life.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

sure okay posted:

Sing Godzilla: A Musical

From the director of Cats

Release the butthole cut.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
They should hire her back and make her character a lesbian. Like all the character does is gently caress ladies and speak out in support of body autonomy and support her drag queens reading space books to young space children. And whatever else has the fascists all hot and bothered lately.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Milo and POTUS posted:

You know as bad as this topic gets at times (looking at you person who posted jay/mike hentai) it's still much better than average at media literacy. Folks, it's loving dire out there. I wonder how much of it's a consequence of gutting english departments at public schools and how much is the internet just blasting misinformation 24/7 and if one idiot with a huge following gets ahold of the mic, suddenly walter white isn't a consummate anti-hero?

As with most things its probably a combination of factors, but I think one of the big ones is that being outraged on the internet is a communal sport now. It's a fun thing you can do with your friends and bond over. If there ever are any sparks of media literacy, what are you gonna do? Spend a bunch of time thinking about what they're trying to say and point they're trying to make and consider if that's a good point, or are you gonna assume the worst so you can have fun being real mad about it with your friends?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Kingo Ligma posted:

Probably something to do with:

Tithing to a "conversion therapy is cool and good and we will torture the gay out of your small child" church

And:

Abandoning his wife and child because the child was disabled.

I reckon that's a fair enough reason to tell him to gently caress off.

counterfeitsaint posted:

As with most things its probably a combination of factors, but I think one of the big ones is that being outraged on the internet is a communal sport now. It's a fun thing you can do with your friends and bond over. If there ever are any sparks of media literacy, what are you gonna do? Spend a bunch of time thinking about what they're trying to say and point they're trying to make and consider if that's a good point, or are you gonna assume the worst so you can have fun being real mad about it with your friends?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

priznat posted:

I hadn't actually watched his videos and missed that one lol but the title for this one was like what the heck

Every one of his videos that I've seen can be summarized as "this product went woke and then goed broke"

Levels of actual wokeness and/or brokeness were often suspect, but he talk funny and seemed pretty angry so that's the kind of thing youtube responds to. Also you could swap around the movie names of whatever he's talking about and no one would notice because he says the same thing about every movie.

He wasn't worth listening to a few years ago and it sounds like he's gotten a lot worse.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

sweet geek swag posted:

So it's a little more complicated than this. Chris Pratt was accused of going to Hillsong Church, which does promote conversion therapy, but as far as anyone can tell he never attended Hillsong and he has denied ever attending there vociferously. He instead attends Zoe Church in Los Angeles. Now the founder of Zoe Church is linked to Hillsong and has said Hillsong inspired the creation of his own church, and he's been involved with a number of other anti-LGBT people and projects, but as far as anyone can tell the church itself doesn't openly take an anti-LGBT stance. Also Chris Pratt admits that he also goes to a Catholic church occasionally, as his wife is Catholic. He actually has indicated that he isn't very religious at all. And there are a lot of churches where if you engage with them on a surface level seem very accepting, but only once you cross a certain line do they show their true colors.

Gosh twitter twisted some poo poo around, willfully ignored the details and went out of their way to be offended? That never happ-oh wait no, it happened 3 more times while I was typing this out.

This thread is proof that no one gives a poo poo, plenty of people are still gonna be real mad, and they're not going to let an insignificant thing like reality get in the way of that.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

LanceHunter posted:

It's weird how everyone has forgotten the fact that the guy who invented Elmo* was a Spacey-style sex predator who only got away with it because his accusers came forward pre-#MeToo before the statute of limitations for those crimes was extended. If this whole Larry David thing wasn't a work then he would have brought that up instead of fake-punching the air above a puppet's face.

*Yes technically he wasn't the first person to puppeteer Elmo, but he completely reinvented the character, changing him from random background muppet monster into the falsetto-voiced childlike character that became famous.

Not maintaining an encyclopedic knowledge of every sex pest in Hollywood from decades ago isn't that weird at all actually.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

dr_rat posted:

If your going to re-do a 90's comic cartoon it really should of been Batman: The Animated Serious. As you know that was legitimately good, with great writing and amazing art style that still holds up incredibly well today.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/gargoyles-live-action-tv-show-reboot-1235342849/
The worst timeline.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Bar Crow posted:

The first movie should really have been about Alan Grant’s parents.

We need a prequel movie now all about Alan Grants parents when they secretly went to a dinosaur park 30 years earlier, and it was bigger and more exciting and then everyone forgot about it by the time Grant came along.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
In the Grant prequel about Alan Grants parents, they end up with a plucky sidekick, a 10 year old Ian Malcolm, who says all his iconic lines but in different context now. Do you get it? Do you remember when he said that in the first movie?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Space Kablooey posted:

aw gently caress i was going to shitpost a dr hammond prequel but they are actually doing that :(

Dude you rear end in a top hat, we were all having fun on a Friday afternoon, then you roll in here with this and now everyone's weekend is ruined.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Kumail Nanjiani just opened up about the "trauma" of people not liking his movie and now he's back for seconds.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
The holodeck as it was introduced in TNG Season 1 wasn't too bad, it was just like a rudimentary MMO hub looking thing. The problems really started with Moriarty. The idea that the ship's computer can create sapient life, trivially, without even realizing what is happening is concerning. And no one gives it a second thought. The show(s) never even try to distinguish when a hologram is actually alive and when it's just a WoW NPC, it's just whichever one the plot needs, then Voyager goes down it's 'Holographics Rights' path and still doesn't bother making any kind of distinction.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Monkey Fracas posted:

Dunno what changed in the circumstances surrounding DS9's production compared to TNG but yeah they allowed for way more non-syndication-friendly sequential storytelling and the series was better for it.

The internet lore is that Ron Moore really liked serialized plots, which were almost unheard of at the time. He kept pushing for it and Brega was against it, but Brega and other higher ups got more and more focused on Voyager and didn't really pay attention at all to DS9 so Moore just did it anyways and they didn't notice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Rageaholic posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lU_NKNZljoQ

They made this look just as annoying as the games, if not more so :chloe:

Pass!

You know what, gently caress it. It looks bad but probably fun. I enjoyed the first two games so why not. Based on the trailer it looks like they toned down Tiny Tina, and if there was one thing that needed to happen, it was that.

The Joker 2 stuff on the other hand sounds like it's an Onion headline.