Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
Primer's way better, although Upstream Color is interesting because it's obtuse upon the initial viewing but Carruth has given interviews where he walks through every little detail of the plot bit by bit and maps it out. I hate when people treat movies as puzzles to be solved, but... you actually can do that with this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Castor Poe posted:

Girls and gays, Madame Web needs you.

https://twitter.com/celestialdevils/status/1757999789827137958?t=8_tRKRAnCrWAD2KJDZ3nqg&s=19

Imagine wanting a sequel for Madame Web lol.

if i made a movie i'd have everyone be cool and have powers in the first movie

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

In the first draft of the script the telepathy substance was just a pill, but he worried that people would think it was a commentary on the pharmaceutical industry of something, so he turned it into the fuckin weird five step thing it is in the movie just so nobody could get it twisted

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
the first jurassic park movie should have been about them making their connecting flights to get to the island and ended when they started to open the big jurassic park gate

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

sinnesloeschen posted:

i built schools, hospitals, chapels, parks

but you gently caress one otter...

He otter be ashamed of himself.

Crescent Wrench posted:

Primer's way better, although Upstream Color is interesting because it's obtuse upon the initial viewing but Carruth has given interviews where he walks through every little detail of the plot bit by bit and maps it out. I hate when people treat movies as puzzles to be solved, but... you actually can do that with this one.

And Primer's still sitting out on YouTube for those who haven't seen it. Definitely worth at least one confused watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fg7cPjQWjKg

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

The trick to Primer is that the characters are just as confused as you and you aren't really supposed to worry about who's where when, logistically. Just go with the vibe.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
I remember when goons were claiming that Primer was a great movie and the proof was “The talk like real engineers!” and a jpg of all the intersecting timelines that looked like Charlie Day should be freaking out in front of it, and all that was exactly why I didn’t like it.

Upstream Color was more feely. I got what was happening without knowing what was happening, if that makes sense.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Primer is good if you like time travel movies but it definitely has some issues where it's unnecessarily hard to follow what's going on due to stuff like them not having been able to show the same person on screen multiple times since that was much harder with a limited budget when it was made, and it seems like some people mistook it being confusing for it being smarter than it actually is

Also it's been a while since I watched it but I think it does have some plot holes if you think about it enough

mystes fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Feb 16, 2024

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Jose Oquendo posted:

What? I've bought quite a few things from them as it's the storefront operated by the WNUF director and I've never had any issues.

edit: But I've only used Apple Pay when buying anything so my actual CC number isn't exposed.

Jose Oquendo posted:

I thought you were making some sort of joke. what the hell are you talking about?

lol

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

1glitch0 posted:

the first jurassic park movie should have been about them making their connecting flights to get to the island and ended when they started to open the big jurassic park gate

The second part needs to mostly concentrate on a plot line that doesn't go anywhere, is never resolved, and is pretty much completely unrelated to the rest of the plot. You know just to pad things out a little bit.

Maybe give the audience one off screen death by dinos. Just as a little treat.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

dude I felt totally lost and I had no idea he was joking. I really thought there was some weird poo poo I was unaware of.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Time travel movies should only be done by people who are good enough to pull it off, like Neil Breen.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Jose Oquendo posted:

I really thought there was some weird poo poo I was unaware of.

No I was just making poo poo up based on how suspect the site’s aesthetic made putting cc info in feel, even though I knew they were legit. I figured the bit about committing art crimes and funding terrorism thru a sex worker site gave it away.

Then I deliberately misunderstood you for comedic effect.

The third joke is explaining the first two jokes. I am the third joke.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

1glitch0 posted:

The first movie should really have been about Alan Grant’s parents.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Bar Crow posted:

The first movie should really have been about Alan Grant’s parents.

We need a prequel movie now all about Alan Grants parents when they secretly went to a dinosaur park 30 years earlier, and it was bigger and more exciting and then everyone forgot about it by the time Grant came along.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

No need to worry about Helen's backstory though. It's just how the way it is

mystes
May 31, 2006

counterfeitsaint posted:

We need a prequel movie now all about Alan Grants parents when they secretly went to a dinosaur park 30 years earlier, and it was bigger and more exciting and then everyone forgot about it by the time Grant came along.
It should be called Grant and be a musical

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

counterfeitsaint posted:

Alan Grant’s parents were in the jungles of Isla Nublar studying Pachycephalosaurus right before they died

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Maybe the first movie could be about one frog gathering together a bunch of other frogs who destiny it is to patch the holes in dinosaur dna.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
MULDOON
show the badass hunter dude in a past adventure where hes paired up with a brilliant woman scientist he initially distrusts but saves him in the end so we can finally find out how he learned girls could be clever

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

As long as we’re all agreed that Alan grant should be a nepo baby retroactively

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
If Pete wasn't dead and it was 20 years ago I'd have made a sequel about Roland Tembo hunting dinosaurs across the Savanna

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
how quickly does Spiderperson web disintegrate? After they're done slinging that goopy poo poo all over the city do you just get to spend days stepping in it while walking down the sidewalk or something?

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Alan Grant's son died in Vietnam and that's why he hates kids

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

starkebn posted:

how quickly does Spiderperson web disintegrate? After they're done slinging that goopy poo poo all over the city do you just get to spend days stepping in it while walking down the sidewalk or something?

Good news: pigeons eat it
Bad news: surging pigeon population

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

starkebn posted:

IIRC it lasts for "a couple hours"

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN
I dont care about which spirit ladies do what to which cajuns, im here to stop a wedding.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
here's the plot of primer (bear with me, I won't even mention time travel)

act 1:
• two guys discover a special secret that nobody else knows about
• a simple plan (1998)
• something goe wrong :/

act 2:
• bimmy decides they're in over their heads, goes to pull the plug
• jimmy [does something] to prevent bimmy from pulling the plug
• they decide, ok, we hate each other now, but there is one thing we can agree on, and that's that X needs to be fixed

act 3:
• they fix X (it takes a while)
• jimmy says cool. going to europe to commit more crimes and generally be an impulsive fuckhead
• bimmy says, I'm going to fix all of this. stay the [i[gently caress[/i] out of america, I will loving kill you
• they part ways. bimmy is trying to fix things by being extremely careful and responsible. jimmy enters a web of convoluted and dangerous gamesmanship, and, worse, breaks containment, taking what was a problem localized to the two of them and opens it up to the world
(they're both stupid and probably destined to destroy themselves)

the precise logistics of the special secret aren't really important. you could swap them out with the discovery of gunpowder in ancient china and keep the same basic story structure

I think where the movie fails is, it does such a poor job of communicating the mechanics of what's going on that by the time you get to the last scene with the reveal of the warehouse full of french dudes, it feels likes there's a dot you're supposed to be connecting, that isn't actually there. it feels like you're supposed to understand this as either the logical result of the preceding events, or a clever twist that changes your understanding of the preceding events (or the expected consequences thereof). it's not. it's just, jimmy is an rear end in a top hat. but most viewers are too confused by the lovely storytelling to realize it's literally just that jimmy is being insanely irresponsible and any hope of keeping the special secret a secret have gone out the window

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

I like that part in cobra when cobra cuts a slice of pizza with scissors

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

aw gently caress i was going to shitpost a dr hammond prequel but they are actually doing that :(

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
In the Grant prequel about Alan Grants parents, they end up with a plucky sidekick, a 10 year old Ian Malcolm, who says all his iconic lines but in different context now. Do you get it? Do you remember when he said that in the first movie?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
*little sperm, to camera* 'life, ah, finds a way :wiggle:' *dives into egg*

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Young Malcom coming to CBS this Fall!

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

"professor grant, let me introduce you to the department's newest head of paleontology. please meet dr... sheldon cooper" *record scratch*

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

counterfeitsaint posted:

In the Grant prequel about Alan Grants parents, they end up with a plucky sidekick, a 10 year old Ian Malcolm, who says all his iconic lines but in different context now. Do you get it? Do you remember when he said that in the first movie?

Lil’ Ian: “That is one big pile of sh-“

Momma Grant: “LANGUAGE, YOUNG MAN!”

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2_Zt-4IxBc

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Baby Malcolm, after watching Jurassic Park: Dominion for the first time: “That is one big pile of poo poo.”

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

Here's an article on that.

quote:

There are exactly two categories of human on this earth: Those who can recite most of the 1986 Sylvester Stallone film Cobra by heart, and those who only know it as, “That movie where Sly eats a piece of pizza with scissors.”* I believe what I have to say here will be of interest to both groups and will be a valuable addition to modern Cobra discourse.

*You’ll occasionally run into someone who claims they haven’t heard of this movie, but there’s no reason to engage with them; we don’t platform Cobra deniers here and will not be doing so in the future.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I just want a prequel to show me why Newman got so fat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Space Kablooey posted:

aw gently caress i was going to shitpost a dr hammond prequel but they are actually doing that :(

Dude you rear end in a top hat, we were all having fun on a Friday afternoon, then you roll in here with this and now everyone's weekend is ruined.