Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Watched Blues Brothers for the first time. Wow this comedy just has insane explosions in the side plot for no reason. Also completely trashed the shopping mall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

poisonpill posted:

Lmao I would love to get the detailed thoughts on Blues Brothers from someone who somehow hasn’t seen it until 2024. Did you have any idea what the plot was? How did you feel about the musical interludes?

The reason I watched it is I got a 75" TV and have been downloading old 4k movies I vaguely recognize the movie titles. Love the musical numbers, reminds me of o brother where art thou for some reason.

Outside of the car stunts, the most insane thing is they randomly blew up side of a building for a gag. It's like a loving die hard explosion. No way they will do a collapse of inside of building with real people like that now. I can't wait to watch the sequel and see how much real stunts they have.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Hackers film 1995 posted:

new film is just called Blues Brothers and has a cgi john belushi with a de-aged dan aykroyd and a new crew of 4 blues children who follow in the footsteps of their uncles, elwood and jake

edit
or more likely, Blues Sisters that is a corporate, cynical film with a milquetoast, outdated, and not actually feminist message

Sony is spending 200 million advertise it.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Hackers film 1995 posted:

i was just thinking about “old” rlm posters and was wondering “what ever happened to stephenthinkpad“ and then suddenly there they were

One day just wanted to take some breaks from scripted shows and movies.

Recently watched the faithful adaptation of old tintin show with son and kind of got me back into adventure stories.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

It was a model comped in behind a matte painting plate of the left side of the cars and the L train. You can see the matte lines a bit easier on repeat viewings, and particularly on the yellow car you can see how the back of the car moves with the explosion, but the left side of the car remains stock still, so the halves become slightly unaligned.

https://i.imgur.com/ImxiYq8.mp4

Great effect. I did notice the crumbling portion has different contrast/red tint.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
One thing that probably bothered me more than other things in DUNC2, none of the royalty and noble people talk and walk and carry themselves like they are loving special. All of them move and walk in really casual mannerism. I mean you just need to look at some modern state visit ceremonies to know people carry themselves differently when million eyes are looking at them. And the emperor talks like a head monk.

Didn't care for it. I watched DUNC1 again before 2. Can confirm I like 1984 version better.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
CGI pretty much made action sequence and action movies worse, probably a lot worse.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Does Dan Aykroyd always play straight guy against other SNL cast? Does he play cunning scammer in any comedy?

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Bad Marvel movie looks like it was shot inside GTA5.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Spielberg blockbusters always play fast and loose with the plot, compared to gold standard Cameron. Like some movies you just treat them as roller coaster rides instead of stories.

Also that small rear end island can't possibly feed these many dinosaurs.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Mordja posted:

And furthermore, those dinos would probably have been far less aggressive considering they'd been fed recently!

I am an expert on watching hours of sexy zookeeper hand petting large exotic cats vertical formatted videos, can confirm.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Nowadays even lions need to be kept in gaming reserves to be protected from human traps. There are very few wild horses and wild tigers.

Dinos in the wild will be starved to death in no time. Only sea dinosaurs can stay alive on their own. Aren't sharks as old as dinosaurs?

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Gripweed posted:

Apparently Disney+ is getting Macross Plus, Macross 7, Macross Frontier, and Macross Delta, and their associated movies and specials.

But not the original Macross or Macross: Do You Remember Love?.

Is there a ranking on these, I have only watched the og series and the movie. The movie is my favorite 80s anime.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Some people have a thing for Japanese bureaucracy shows. I can't get into them.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I remember reading an explanation Japanese manga style comic came from the traditional woodblock paintings. I have never read an explanation why Japanese are so obsess with giant military robots.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Jose Oquendo posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtytYWhg2mc

Looks like more "shot on the volume" slop.

For a second, I thought they paid Meryl Streep to ham it up....wait that's Trinity? She looks old.

No, still no enough to make me watch Diswar garbage.

FX look iffy but I will try to stay optimistic.

stephenthinkpad fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Mar 19, 2024

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
This 4k80 is for Empire only? What's the best fan edit version for Star Wars?

I apologize for more SW talk.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Jose Oquendo posted:

Look for (this will blow your mind) Star Wars 4k77

Ohhhh, I thought 80 stands for refresh rate or something.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Sigourney Weaver is pretty hot in her big 80s hair in Ghostbusters, did she do any romantic comedy around that time?

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

LOL

Only registered members can see post attachments!

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Ruined a good book again. 3/5

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Alec Baldwin will get his redemption arc in The Expan6ables.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I liked the birdman Time Square scene, didn't like the Emma stone "gimme an oscar" speech.

Didn't care about the ending.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

dreezy posted:

ive got a shitload of feature films at the touch of a button and now i intend to watch one of them. rlm thread, influence me!

Nothing But Trouble (1991)

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Which D+ series will get to lightsaber nunchaku?

Used by an east asian jedi of course.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Dune would be a lot cooler if the body shield in the world is super effective and everyone fight with a 30-pound war hammer.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Gutcruncher posted:

The fact that it is just giving me a playback error is just perfect

Edit: oh wait was that the joke? Or is it just me

I tried some dirty European ip addresses, none of them load for me.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Matrix 4 is just a cast/director reunion comfort food for the fans. It's watchable for one time but not really much of a story.

It's like when Coppola's wife released a making off doc for Apocalypse Now.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I watched Ghostbusters 2 yesterday and it was alright.

They got the most non-emo baby to play the part.

I got some Laura Antonelli tapes if you wanna watch them

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

LanceHunter posted:

Mike’s film school story was amazing. Clearly the new thread title needs to be RLM 2024: So they’re not, like, slut lesbians?

Mike pointing and laughing at "slut lesbians" comment.jpg

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Keromaru5 posted:

I've been substitute teaching the last few months, and just a few weeks ago, I listened to some teenagers talking about Beethoven and the Sandlot. So yeah, I don't think they're gonna destroy movies anytime soon.

They were listening to it though Tiktok.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I read the 3 body books a long time ago. As a general scifi novel fan, thought the series was okay, the last book was bat poo poo insane, but didn't belong in the first series as the first 2 books. I haven't watched any of the adoptions.

However, I am glad to see its getting more discussions in other threads I go to, and getting people who usually don't watch scifi to watch this show. There is something about these books that have different sensibilities than the lot of western scifi books. I don't know how much of the sensibilities come across in the D&D version. But I heard the Chinese version is getting a much shorter director's cut, maybe I will give it a shot.

Also Kojima made a long post to recommend the Chinese version, so there is that.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
We should cut down the penny arcade chat and pivot to slash dot.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I watched "Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry" yesterday by accident, was looking for Blues Brothers type movies and it is definitely not it. I noticed it has pretty similar moral lesson in the end as Vanishing Point (and maybe Easy Rider, I am not sure). Is there a definite list of such movies? Did Hollywood only made them when American cars were cool?

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

LanceHunter posted:

So apparently the latest Ghostbusters made just over $45 million last weekend, which is being hailed as a triumph (since it was expected to make about $38 million or so). So we can look forward to the adventures of Paul Rudd's hairpiece in rejected episodes of The Real Ghostbusters cartoon for years to come!

All these zoom in of the empty theater charts in the RLM review couldn't stop the Juggernaut.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I think Sony is just desperate for any franchise property and one great thing about GB is you don't need to rely on one big actor and keep raising the salary. You can swap them around like those 20-people Japanese idol band.

How much is Sony paying Marvel to rent the Spiderman property?

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I am so tired of spi-der human, is there a dung beetle super man? Lady ladybug?

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Failson posted:

Between DUNC and 3 Body 3 Problem, you think any studio is going to get some other classic sci-fi books in production? Hyperion? Fire Upon the Deep?

Book of the new sun, very fantasy and very TV friendly.

One day, somebody will finally get a hold of the Neuromancer right and make a giant movie out of it, and then people will complain it's a Matrix rip off.

Snow Crash and Diamond Age, and my personal favorite Anathem.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
You are supposed to do it with the mask on, noob.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

priznat posted:

Anathem would work better as a show or movie than the book even because the book deliberately makes it hard to understand what the gently caress is going on with the use of made up words. If it was a show it would just be obvious!

Once you got past that part of the books it was pretty cool though.

I don't think that part can be adopted, with all the alternate scientists names and scientific theorems, it would move too fast for first time watchers to grasp. Maybe just a very simplified version of it on TV. It would make a great 8-10 part series. The story is already written in a way that's serialized with a lot of cheap settings. Also a YA! Man I listen to the audiobook so many times, it's time for another listen.