Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
Wait, how many episodes of TOS deal with people getting superpowers?

There was the one where the guy and lady crewmembers get Q-like powers somehow except they also get silver contact lenses.

And there was the Charlie X episode with the teenager that was given Q-like powers by Q-like aliens so he could survive on his dump of a planet and couldn't control them when he tried to live among other humans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

kalel posted:

watched "the sting" (1973) at the alamo

basically ocean's eleven starring butch cassidy and the sundance kid. when it was good it was really drat good

The entire poker game on the train is just so drat good.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Kingo Ligma posted:

I actually knew an answer this time. Feel kind of bad about that.

I knew the CORRECT answer for the one about what does Picard say at the end of Encounter at Farpoint. Rich Evans should not have allowed those points. :colbert:

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
So did the sequels. Nice job sacrificing yourself to destroy the evil emperor! Sorry it was all meaningless!

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

poisonpill posted:

What some some other fun stunt castings?

Barbara Billingsley in Airplane.

"Oh stewardess? I speak Jive."

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

bitterandtwisted posted:

Still can't believe EEaaO won last year. I mean I liked it, but a wacky action comedy with an extended butt plug scene is not normal oscar material.

What? That's *perfect* Oscar material.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
It's really sad when you watch the documentaries on the LotR DVDs and everyone is just so pleased with the fact that they filmed inside a physical hobbit-scale Bag End set, and how they built a motion controlled table so they could have a convincing forced-perspective effect while moving the camera, and how the actors all said that having real things to react to is super helpful for turning in a good performance...

And then you fast forward 12 years and it's Gandalf in front of a green screen talking to some placeholder objects.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Arc Hammer posted:

Adolf Hitler: A Kingsman Story.

This was literally the post-credits stinger at the end of whatever the last Kingsman movie was.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
That whole heads-exploding-to-Pomp-and-Circumstance scene is still the funniest thing I've ever seen in a movie. I was doubled over laughing.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
I saw Transformers 2 in the building they shot part of the movie in. Does that count?

(It was in the Imax at the Udvar-Hazy Air&Space museum.)

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
If Godzilla keeps regenerating is he still technically the same Godzilla? Is this a Kaiju of Theseus situation?

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

sharknado slashfic posted:

Apparently im distantly related to Wil Wheaton and as a family member I am qualified to say he is a huge tool

By some estimates everyone on the planet is at least 50th cousin to everybody else.

So as Wil Wheaton's cousin, I would just like to say, Jesus Christ, Wil, shut the gently caress up.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

kalel posted:

new blurays came in the mail

Nausicaa? Where's the dom-jot table?

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
I feel like this is the 6/10 era. It would be nice to have an 8/10 or 9/10 movie, say the execs, but that would involve trying something new and risky. Safer to just produce a half-hearted, mediocre film and hope you get your money back.

And hey, if it looks like a total bomb, just delete it from existence and write it off on your taxes!

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
Washington Post: "‘Madame Web’: Spider-Verse-adjacent action flick has low-key appeal"

:nallears:

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

quote:

There are exactly two categories of human on this earth: Those who can recite most of the 1986 Sylvester Stallone film Cobra by heart, and those who only know it as, “That movie where Sly eats a piece of pizza with scissors.”
I guess I am the one person on this earth in a 3rd category: those who have never seen Cobra and have no idea what this scissors thing is about.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
Well, WaPo makes it official: ‘Madame Web’ flops at the box office

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

priznat posted:

I think GotG 3 kind of showed that Gunn’s special magic may have run dry, it was a bit of a slog and retread a lot of the previous themes in his movies etc. I didn’t love it anyway. 1 and 2 were great.

Nah. GotG 3 was better than 2. Fact.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
I watched the Len Kabasinki-recommended movie 'Raw Force' on Tubi. What a film. The ending fell a little flat, but it might be the best bad movie I've ever seen. Kung Fu, cannibal monks, guy with a Hitler mustache, Cameron Mitchell, and gratuitous nudity.

And apparently they were going to make it into a cinematic universe because it ends on a "To be continued" screen. Oh what could've been. :(

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
The Borderlands trailer looks.... fine.

It's not like the game is a deep thinker.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
The Borg stopped being interesting the moment they introduced the queen. Wtg guys, you missed the entire point.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Waltzing Along posted:

Oddly, the thing the fans want the most, that would make the biggest difference, they will not do. And that is use robot umpires to get near perfect strike zones all the time.
I don't want this at all and think it's a stupid idea. :colbert:

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
I watched the entirety of Christmas With Dennis on YouTube. I feel like I have ascended to a new plane of being.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
She was the mummy in the hit Tom Cruise film The Mummy.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
https://youtu.be/YpWoNG6H8MY?si=G_nQsbCeAdch3Zjj

We've come a long way.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
Just saw Dune pt. 2. Not sure I liked it tbqh, but it's worth it for the visuals alone.

Also, if you close your eyes, Tim Chal sounds a lot like Nicolas Cage on some lines.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
My encroaching elderliness was showing again because I couldn't understand a drat thing anyone in Dune 2 was saying for like 40% of the movie.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
Or there's the Rise of Skywalker technique: quickly follow up the stupid poo poo with new stupid poo poo before your brain has had time to process the previous stupid poo poo.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
Star Trek has taught us that space is so filled with temporal anomalies and spatial tears and subspace rips and whatnot that just walking across a room is an iffy proposition.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Mozi posted:

looks like this Ark is.... all washed up

If it's anything like the game it'll be people swearing at their dinos for getting stuck on a tree and throwing out tons of rotten meat from their inventory.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
Walter Peck in 1984: (literally gets a load of marshmallow goo dropped on him after seeing a gigantic marshmallow man walk down the streets of New York City)
Walter Peck in 2024: "No eye witnesses."

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
If you watch the old Popeye cartoons Popeye is always mumbling something under his breath. Bluto too. They'll be squaring up to fight and Bluto will be muttering "m'gonnapoundthisguyintotheground" and Popeye will be mumbling "ohyathinksyeratoughguydoya".

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Improbable Lobster posted:

there has to be a dozen from the same era that are equally good

There isn't.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
I have a confession. I have no idea who Tig Notaro is.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

sharknado slashfic posted:

This discussion about word processors by old people is making me feel so comfortable

I tried to explain word processors to my 20-something coworkers the other day. "So, try to imagine a computer that can only do one thing..."

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Jose Oquendo posted:

it looks like a video game. If it were a video game, that would actually look pretty good. not so much for a tv show.

I'm playing Horizon Forbidden West on PC right now and it looks better than that.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

That DICK! posted:

said neil breenishly: let me SELL your home for you FAST

"WHERE is it located? HOW many bathrooms?"

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
Whoa, I was also in LA last weekend. Didn't see Mike though.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
I mean, I went to a dive bar, which would increase the chances of a Mike encounter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Kingo Ligma posted:

Lucy Lawless
Red dress lady in red dress
Baltar as a whole
Fat Adama

Any one of those is worth the price of entry

And the Adama Maneuver.