Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

dreezy posted:

i never watched voy but it really seems like the premise of being stranded in the alpha quadrant would have been way way better with ds9's tone and direction and serialized survival story that late 90s upn probably wasnt ready for but i also assume everyone feels this way

That’s why everyone likes BSG

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Baronjutter posted:

wow, your wife doesn't care for pedophile clown cooks? Sounds like she has some growing up to do.

His feet are disgusting, his voice is annoying, he's way too confident in himself

She came down later to tell me his hair sucks

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Squiggle posted:

We hit this episode in our Voyager tour last night and my wife hated this scene so much that she left the room, unloading everything she hates about Neelix as her voice trailed up the stairs.

Squiggle posted:

His feet are disgusting, his voice is annoying, he's way too confident in himself

She came down later to tell me his hair sucks

You should marry her again.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Voyager had such a great premise which was ruined by terrible characters and bad writing

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Sunk Dunk posted:

What exactly is Whoopi’s character? Is she an empath like the other lady or something else?

No but she's a better counselor anyway. Maybe because she actually understands what it's like not to be able to read people's minds. Unless she can? Who knows. They fortunately never try to explain it in any of the stuff that's worth watching.

dreezy posted:

i never watched voy but it really seems like the premise of being stranded in the alpha quadrant would have been way way better with ds9's tone and direction and serialized survival story that late 90s upn probably wasnt ready for but i also assume everyone feels this way

That's pretty much the fan consensus, yes. It's also speculated that Voyager satisfying the boilerplate Trek quota allowed the DS9 guys a bit more freedom to do whatever the hell they wanted. There was probably no reality where they both got to do that.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Sunk Dunk posted:

I’ve been watching tng and I’m on season 2. A couple of questions:

Is rikers beard ever explained?

What exactly is Whoopi’s character? Is she an empath like the other lady or something else?

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Beard

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Gripweed posted:

Riker is a human, male humans are capable of growing hair on their face. While most male humans remove the hair for aesthetic reasons, some allow the hair to grow.

This is all explained in one of the TNG novels.
lol

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

dreezy posted:

This is what battlestar was since it's the ds9 writer who went over to voy and was told they can't do any interesting long form arcs. Except he got so excited he could do his brutal gritty drama filled space adventure that he forgot to give BSG a plot.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Baronjutter posted:

This is what battlestar was since it's the ds9 writer who went over to voy and was told they can't do any interesting long form arcs. Except he got so excited he could do his brutal gritty drama filled space adventure that he forgot to give BSG a plot.

The plot could have just been “these guys need to survive and stay one step ahead of the Cylons while looking for a new home”. With long term plot developments like human political infighting and schisms in Cylon society arising from that.

Nobody asked for some big series of nested mystery boxes.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Gripweed posted:

The plot could have just been “these guys need to survive and stay one step ahead of the Cylons while looking for a new home”. With long term plot developments like human political infighting and schisms in Cylon society arising from that.

Nobody asked for some big series of nested mystery boxes.

Lost is the whipping boy for every mystery box discussion but Lost didn’t put “And they have a plan” at the beginning of each episode. Love BSG overall but the overt attempts to convince the audience they knew where it was going was absolutely insane.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Sunk Dunk posted:

I’ve been watching tng and I’m on season 2. A couple of questions:

Is rikers beard ever explained?

Watch the upcoming "Star Trek: Titan" to learn the harrowing story of how Riker grew a beard (It is revealed in a traumatic flashbacks spaced throughout the season that Riker's brother, whom he never mentioned before or again, died tragically n between TNG seasons and Riker's beard is a tribute to his beard)

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The actual reason is that frakes was doing some period western or something that required the beard and the trek production thought he looked fine with it so they kept it.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I like the beard because it distinguishes him even more from the budget-kirk role he started the show as

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

kalel posted:

I like the beard because it distinguishes him even more from the budget-kirk role he started the show as

Also in the 80's and 90's beards were not so common, while today a man basically is not really a man if he does not have a beard.

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
I wonder what Jay looks like without a beard.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Endless Trash posted:

Lost is the whipping boy for every mystery box discussion but Lost didn’t put “And they have a plan” at the beginning of each episode. Love BSG overall but the overt attempts to convince the audience they knew where it was going was absolutely insane.

No, but the showrunners bragged about having the whole thing planned out in interviews. It's not quite as in your face but it was still present.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Outpost22 posted:

I wonder what Jay looks like without a beard.

I'm pretty sure he's actually single atm

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

counterfeitsaint posted:

No, but the showrunners bragged about having the whole thing planned out in interviews. It's not quite as in your face but it was still present.

I’d say 99% of viewers are not hanging on every word the producers say, especially new viewers long after the show is over. “And they have a plan” is eternal.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Between Lost, BSG, and some really bad D&D DM's I've had over the years I have serious trust issues with "writers" and their loving mystery boxes. It's why I've almost stopped watching shows as their air and only give them a chance once they're totally finished so I know not to waste my time with a show that tries to write a ton of mystery cheques that are all eventually going to bounce.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

what's the difference between a jj abrams mystery box and something like twin peaks? how did lynch succeed where so many of his imitators failed

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Probably had a plan going in?

I learned last night that Babylon 5 was pretty much completely conceived from beginning to end as a five season story before it was ever greenlit, so you see them setting poo poo up WAY ahead of time that actually feels intentional instead of "oh, poo poo, we should probably explain that weird thing we said three seasons ago"

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
Just watched unbreakable and it has the same ending as blood debts. What a piece of poo poo

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Sunk Dunk posted:

Just watched unbreakable and it has the same ending as blood debts. What a piece of poo poo

Actually it ends with Kimmy opening up a theme park based on her book

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

I sometimes still think of the line "They called me Mr. Glass!"

Its weird how some things stick in your brain.

Meat Wagon
Jul 14, 2004
drat mark collins, age 45 can not catch a break

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Milo and POTUS posted:

I'm pretty sure he's actually single atm
:mmmhmm:

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Battlestar Galactica did the Lost mystery box horseshit? My roommate has been trying to get me to watch BSG for a little while, and now my desire to view it could not be lower. Is there enough good tv contained in the show to make up for :iiam:?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Pvt.Scott posted:

Battlestar Galactica did the Lost mystery box horseshit? My roommate has been trying to get me to watch BSG for a little while, and now my desire to view it could not be lower. Is there enough good tv to make up for :iiam:?

It absolutely does the mystery box bullshit. but I think there''s enough good stuff in the show to make up for that.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

Pvt.Scott posted:

Battlestar Galactica did the Lost mystery box horseshit? My roommate has been trying to get me to watch BSG for a little while, and now my desire to view it could not be lower. Is there enough good tv contained in the show to make up for :iiam:?

the first 2 seasons are worth watching, you can just stop there before it gets bad. I did.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Sunk Dunk posted:

I like the part where he tries to escape the POW camp by blowing up the guard with a rocket derringer before the freeze frame tells us he submitted himself to the Japanese authorities and served a life-ending sentence by decapitation.

You did say Unbroken, right?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I don't think there's enough good stuff in BSG to make up for it. I remember watching it week to week but beyond that, I don't think a show ever hit the eject button from my memory faster or harder when it finally finished flailing to a halt

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

No Mods No Masters posted:

I don't think there's enough good stuff in BSG to make up for it. I remember watching it week to week but beyond that, I don't think a show ever hit the eject button from my memory faster or harder when it finally finished flailing to a halt

The first 2 seasons are really good, as are the first 4? episodes of the third season.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.
Star trek Voyager is the single most successful television show ever made.

Not in terms of ratings or cultural impact or quality.

It's function was too distract all the people involved in tv that completely ruin a show. All the coked up execs, nepobabies, """""creative""""" producers etc got told it was the serious prestige good star trek and were too dumb to figure out what was going on.

"Oh sure, you losers go and make this other show no one will care about while we make real star trek over here" they laughed as they sexually harassed every human being within a one kilometre radius. "Black captain? Lol sure no one cares. That's just a dumb spin off".

And then as Voyager sucked space dick left right and centre, a perfect cycle was born: all the idiots made the show terrible, and with no one talented to bail them out they had to be more invested in it, which made it worse. They didn't even have time to remember DS9 existed.

This same technique is also how we got Mandalorian (season 1 only, made the mistake of being TOO successful) and Andor.

The problem with trek now is that they keep filling the Voyager role but forgetting to sneak in a DS9.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

No Mods No Masters posted:

Lucy Lawless
Red dress lady in red dress
Baltar as a whole
Fat Adama

Any one of those is worth the price of entry

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
i don't regret watching BSG. not all that many shows with spaceship battles and Edward James Olmos is kool

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Is farscape worth watching? That's the one I always forget exists

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

AARD VARKMAN posted:

I'd rank it around the level of sg-1, thoroughly okay sci-fi tv.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Kingo Ligma posted:

Lucy Lawless
Red dress lady in red dress
Baltar as a whole
Fat Adama

Any one of those is worth the price of entry

Michael Hogan is really good in it.
Dean Stockwell

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

AARD VARKMAN posted:

I really enjoyed it but have never successfully recommended it to anyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

I watched a season of BSG and couldn't continue, too much just bugged me about it.