Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Hackers film 1995 posted:

i dont know why but i did an 80s/90s hong kong mini film marathon for new years:

1) righting wrongs (1986) - loving loved it. whipped rear end. cynthia rothrock does good fight stuff and a man who didnt even wear a wig to try to look like cynthia rothrock did her best stunt. also SPOILER ALERT she loving dies which was a genuine shock.

2) armour of god (1986) - realized halfway through that i had seen it before. every stunt jackie chan does is great. movie isnt too great. famous for being the film that came closest to killing jackie. fell out a tree and literally cracked his skull. there is a scene where jackie has to fight 4 beautiful women, but through 90% of the fight, they turn into muscular asian men in wigs. an odd artistic choice but its nearly seamless.

3) operation condor (amour of god 2) (1991) - kind of loved it despite being dumb. stunts werent anything to write home about but had a great 3rd act. maybe i was just the right amount of drunk by the time this one came on.

I didn’t have a Hong Kong marathon or anything but I did watch The Inspector Wears Skirts for the first time and it was a bunch of fun

https://youtu.be/oYiQ2C6caVw?si=o_nv4AXKOmC9jpSt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Everyone should know by now to just completely ignore all projects featuring recently public domain characters. Wait a decade, then the actual stuff that gives a gently caress will start coming.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

hemale in pain posted:

My first movie of the year was Maniac Cop. It's surprisingly good! The troma logo popped up and I expected it to be cheap trash but seems like they used some good quality film. The biggest problem is that it's not goofy/fun enough and is light on the gore. It either needed to be a waaaay better movie or lean in to the cheese, so instead it's just kinda middle of the road thing. It loving hates the police tho so that's cool.

e: turns out Troma just bought the rights to the movie a few years ago so that's the reason for the logo

Yeah but in maniac cop 2 hes a zombie and thats fun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbV6ubsDvTA

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Does my first movie piracy count when it was clearly in retrospect my dad renting tapes and making copies for us to keep and not me personally doing the piracy? If so then it was probably Thriller

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Space Kablooey posted:

no you have to do your own piracy

Hmmm okay it might have been when I copied the Akira tape I rented.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

All the streaming platforms just 69ing each other in an infinite loop so everyone’s movies and cash are running in a perfect uroboros

And then they all go bankrupt.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

priznat posted:

Vinegar Syndrome’s time to shine!

Tubi, Pluto, and Vinegar Syndromes “we will mail you random schlock each month” subscription being the last ones standing would be pretty awesome

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

X JAKK posted:

Joe Dirt is still a banger

The Happy Madison films have so much more heart in them than the SNL films, which with the exception of the Waynes Worlds which were allowed to just be wacky (and coneheads wasnt ALL bad), the rest of them are mean spirited meandering fluff

I won’t have you besmirch the blues brothers in my presence

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Dredd is awesome and I’m forever mad that I didn’t go see it in theaters cuz I, like most others, assumed it would be stupid.

I’ll never see this in 3d :shepicide:

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

X JAKK posted:

And im tired of this nanosuit crap on superheroes, either leave your loving helmet on, or take the proper 2 and a half minutes of unfastening it every time you want to expose your face to gunfire

I hate to give The Amazing Spider-Man any compliments, but Andrew Garfield did a good job acting behind the mask through exaggerated body language and didn’t do the “take off mask any time I have to act” poo poo. Like a power ranger.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

The bluray include the 3d version of dredd which is awesome but nobody on the planet owns a 3Dtv and no bluray player will convert it to red/blue trash 3D as a consolation prize

I’ll just never see it in 3d

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Imagine going to the theater to see Morbius just for the famous “it’s morbin time” line that the internet got you excited for only to find out after almost 2 hours that the line is low in the mix and easy to miss without headphones.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Sheen Sheen posted:

Sorry guys but this is clearly the iconic Disney+ rear end

I have no idea what is running through the brain of whoever made that decision but they clearly have some kind of parasite up in there

Cubone posted:

there's no movie theater at the alamo

I’ll never EVER get over the kid taking the picture of him

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Sir Lemming posted:

I didn't even know they were on, but I'm enjoying the schadenfreude from some clips of this apparently disastrous monologue from some comedian I've never heard of:

https://twitter.com/taylorslavender/status/1744170521883770941

https://twitter.com/SpencerAlthouse/status/1744164455775096860

Like they're not even the worst jokes in the genre of lame award show humor, but the delivery puts them in the realm of negative comedy. No idea how this guy got this or any other gig.

Norm Macdonald would’ve loving knocked those exact same words out of the park

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

kalel posted:

really quick: is spielberg's AI worth seeing in a theatre or not. unsure if the lukewarm rating on letterboxd is a "controversial" 3 or a "boring" 3

It’s absolutely a controversial 3. Go for it!

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

billymumphrey posted:

Maybe they awarded Gervais best stand up to ingratiate themselves to him to get him back on hosting duties?

They gave him a fake award to ingratiate themselves to him so he can do the one job they should never under any circumstance allow him to do?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

priznat posted:

^^ lol yeah I was surprised they kept the story focus on him for S2, seems like they could have shed a lot of his stuff as it’s probably bunk

Fake or not, the story was still popular and good and changing it between seasons is a stupid move

Edit: was ANY of it real to begin with? Like was he exaggerating WAYYYYY too much or was he just straight up full on fantasy?

Gutcruncher fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jan 9, 2024

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Arc Hammer posted:

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1744133333305508106?t=VzX4UThiMVd0AxJeOosn7A&s=19

No real reason to post this besides lol video game man who wants to make movies looms depressed at awards show.

He’s like the anti-kojima. Where Kojima desperately wanted to make Hollywood movies and instead built unique videogames to carve out his own niche, Druckmann desperately wanted to make a Hollywood movie so he made a movie but with the most lame cookie cutter videogame stapled on. And nobody cares about him.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Was Cruise’s last WB movie Edge of Tomorrow? Cuz hell yeah more like that please

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

No Mods No Masters posted:

I was going to call it AI art but held off considering it is signed by someone and they did actually use it in the press release, it's not just some disbussingfilm poo poo. If it is something someone sincerely tried to make, probably not a good sign

To be fair when AI steals it doesn’t always know to not steal the signature. And if anyone is going to a use AI in a press release it’s Disney.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Jose Oquendo posted:

I have a friend who makes a living doing art for book covers and tv/movie promotional art. I haven't talked to him in a while but I imagine he's legit scared shitless he's going to be replaced by AI art in the not too distant future. It loving sucks.

The funniest development in the AI debacle is the chatgpt guys begging lawmakers to please please please please make IP theft legal, otherwise AI advancement will be severely stunted.

Just full on pants down admission that it’s all theft and without theft they’re hosed.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

A whole world of nothing but AIs buying and selling from each other while all the homeless humans starve because the AI figured it’s cheaper to just halt all food production and continue wash trading the same monkey jpg forever.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

the one where an irish gets control of the ship is genuinely harrowing

The best part of the episode is when they beam up the Irish the transporter couldn’t separate the Irish from their animals and filth.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Now instead of Northern Ireland and Ireland there is just Northern Ireland.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

kalel posted:

just kind of randomly posting this thought here but it bears repeating that america truly is a diseased loving country. a net negative in the world and it's only going to get worse

The Xindi only did what we were too frightened to do ourselves

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

kalel posted:

watched "the sting" (1973) at the alamo

basically ocean's eleven starring butch cassidy and the sundance kid. when it was good it was really drat good (basically whenever some combination of newman, redford, and robert shaw were on screen and talking) but it does sag in some places. also, robert redford in 1973 looks a lot like brad pitt

Nothing but a ripoff of that one king of the hill episode. 2/10

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

I wonder how many times people are going to remove their helmets to talk to each other before immediately putting the helmets right back on.

Is there a tally for the times the first season did it?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Vakal posted:

The power move is to just make a massive and detailed wiki for a movie, series, book that doesn't exist since wiki's are really what people care about these days.

I couldn’t believe it when I realized people do literally exactly this.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

moist turtleneck posted:

I'm very upset at the fact checkers that haven't added a community note to this yet

https://twitter.com/dril/status/862757324305334273?t=9PtQcT3pFVjeym8LDCKTKA&s=19

Do people usually add community notes that just say “this is true?”

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Endless Trash posted:

-The film has fantastic cinematography
-I really enjoyed Emily Blunt’s performance
-Time jumps are used to enhance the story
-Trinity test sequence is phenomenal
-It works as a tense political thriller
-Each role is a surprise guest star
-Some breasts are shown

You don’t gotta sell us on Barbie, what about Oppenheimer?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Just saw Suitable Flesh and it was pretty darn good. Jays pervert opinions correct again

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

RealityWarCriminal posted:

what if every episode of every show was secretly a backdoor pilot?

I mean gays on TV are a lot more accepted than they were a few decades ago but I don’t think we’re quite ready for THAT

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Doesn’t Disney+ have Mr Boogity?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

88 films is releasing Project A 1 and 2 on UHD and Sony Classics is releasing Paprika on UHD

Why is god blessing me with such treasures when I didn’t do anything to deserve it?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Did he ever get his chapstick though?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

kalel posted:

having never seen any miike, I bought a ticket to a screening of his "audition" (1999) next week

Goddamn, congrats

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Just do what they should’ve done from the start, tall muscley woman and green makeup, and suddenly that budget isn’t so high anymore!

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

There was that cheap made for tv movie that Michael Mann made twice and called the second one Heat. It’s a formula that works

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Jose Oquendo posted:

It's pretty wild that JJ hosed Disney so hard they've spent a ton of time in their spin off shows to explain how that is going to happen lmao.

That’s just classic Star Wars though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Mordja posted:

When are they gonna make a Star Wars movie about stablekid?

I’m more interested in their movies about unstable kid!

(It’s called the Star Wars prequel trilogy)