Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Happy New Year! I already have my first movie of 2024 in mind: David Cronenberg's Naked Lunch (that is, if Max hasn't removed it lol)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Murdstone posted:

Your...loss?

Why are they releasing Ghostbusters Frozen Empire during a month that won't have freezing temperatures :confused:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Just watched Naked Lunch and uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :psyboom:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://twitter.com/consequence/status/1742993503548817528

:negative:

Good Time and Uncut Gems are so loving good

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

No Mods No Masters posted:

As someone who can respect The Curse but absolutely not enjoy it, I can understand leaving benny to follow his own strange star with all that
The Curse is one of the best TV shows currently airing and Benny Safdie is incredible in it, yeah.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I just watched UHF for the first time in like 25 years and holy poo poo, that movie is unbelievably funny. I guess it helps that I grew up loving Weird Al's music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ega5Rcct2s

e: lol, just remembered RLM did a Re:View of it, so I'm watching that now

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jan 5, 2024

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Non Compos Mentis posted:

personally i cant wait for the beekeeper 4d, where they release several angry swarms of bees into the theatre
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImDj57VeaC0

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Startyde posted:

Neck and neck with Blade
:yeah:

Dredd and The Raid both kick rear end. Similar setups but different executions.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Jose Oquendo posted:

I like Berenthal, but goddamn I love Mann for just being brutal like that.
Jesus Christ haha

I like Bernthal too, but yeah, that's rough

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

henkman posted:

Dredd owns
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXzs5nuGNpg

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

sharknado slashfic posted:

I'm about halfway through Dial of Destiny and Mutt dying in Vietnam hasn't been mentioned yet and I'm going to be very mad if you guys have been gaslight img me the whole time.
It's definitely in there and made me laugh when I saw it. That probably wasn't the intended reaction, but it was loving funny.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

Last year we had M3GAN. What’s this year’s M3GAN, Spoopy Pool?!
This trailer advertises that it's from the producer of M3GAN and looks like it's going for a similar thing, but who knows how good it'll be. Comes out in March.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnoQGGkQSjM

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Gonna watch Escape from L.A. with dinner in a little while. What does the thread think about it? I've only seen it once before and I remember it not being great, but that was probably 15 years ago, so it's been a long time.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

billymumphrey posted:

Really? I've seen the trailers before most of the movies I'v seen recently, and it looks pretty hokey/rubbish
It's fantastic. One of my favorite movies of 2023. Paul Giamatti is excellent in it, but so is the rest of the cast.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Escape from L.A. was a solid 3 out of 5. Nowhere near as good as Escape from New York, but still fun.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Benedetta ruled and Robocop is one of my all-time favorites, so this should be great

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Saalkin posted:

god drat the Noiuselund video Are You There? always frigging cracks me up, and it's groovy
Nice avatar :cheers: I saw King Gizzard live in 2022 and I'm seeing them again later this year.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Jose Oquendo posted:

Good ideas for a 25th anniversary:

An amazing 4k restoration digital/disc release
New cast and crew interviews and commentary tracks
Heavy promotion on HBO/Max

Zaslav's idea: thousands of tiktok videos

gently caress that guy.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

sharknado slashfic posted:

First bit of Oppenheimer made me want to punch myself in the balls over and over. Might take 3 or 4 tries to finish this one.
I rewatched it and it feels like it goes on forever. There are real good parts of it, like the Trinity test scene and the scene where Oppenheimer gives a speech but freaks out and sees the crowd being melted by a nuclear blast, but man, the rest is so dull to me.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The Florence Pugh titty scene in Oppenheimer is hilarious. They gently caress, and post-coitus, Florence pulls out this ancient text from Oppenheimer's library and tells him to read a passage to her. It's the "now I am become death, destroyer of worlds" quote.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Sunk Dunk posted:

did you guys realize paul schrader wrote a lot of good movies
First Reformed is so loving good

I didn't love Master Gardener though

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Sex Farm posted:

Holy poo poo the ending of the curse. I like some weird bullshit but not like this. I don't get it

Edit: I feel pranked. I don't get it. What the gently caress
Yeah, that was...interesting. I don't know how I feel about it other than "what the gently caress" and "that was wild".

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

No Mods No Masters posted:

I'm glad nathan's also doing rehearsal season 2. That show was a level of nathan-ness I could stomach better
Well, hopefully. It got announced in 2022, but with the current state of Max and them ending the majority of their shows, you never know if it's actually still going to happen or not. They just killed off another show (Our Flag Means Death) the other day.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Outpost22 posted:

What happened to Aquaman Part II, did anyone see it? Was it better than the original?
Legitimately forgot that came out

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Quantum of Phallus posted:

we watching Trudy Tective 4 in this piece???
Watched the premiere last night. It's a very cold feeling show. Kinda like The Thing in that way, but it's a crime drama.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

mysterious frankie posted:

I will probably watch it week to week. It’s gonna replace The Curse. I have a suspicion it’s gonna be so-so however.
I think the reviews said it was the best season since the first one, though I doubt it'll be that good. The first one is a classic.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

If it's what I'm thinking of, there was an article that came out recently that Jodie Foster said she thinks Gen Zers are annoying to work with.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Saw Night Swim earlier and it sucked. Shouldn't a movie about a haunted swimming pool be fun to watch?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Just rewatched Escape from Tomorrow (the movie guerilla shot inside Disney parks without permission) for the first time in a decade.

Yikes, that was loving terrible :whitewater: Why did I used to like that movie?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Outpost22 posted:

Wasn't the central conceit that the guy and his family all caught bird flu and were tripping out in Disneyland?
Cat flu! Also the main guy was creeping on teenage girls

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Mordja posted:

Oh boy, True Detective just went full on 'memberberries for S1.
I'm not feeling this new season at all so far.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Stink Billyums posted:

Oscar Nominations 2024
Best Picture
American Fiction
Anatomy of a Fall
Barbie
The Holdovers
Killers of the Flower Moon
Maestro
Oppenheimer
Past Lives
Poor Things
The Zone of Interest
I want to see The Zone of Interest so badly but it never played in theaters here and I haven't even been able to find it on the internet yet :negative:

Hopefully one of the local AMCs will play it closer to the Oscars. That's what they usually do with all the Best Picture noms.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Holy poo poo, Past Lives :stwoon: Really resonated with me on a deep level. The cinematography was gorgeous, and I can't think of another recent film that has a powerful scene of two people staring at one another for a solid minute.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

kalel posted:

I won't, me and my politics have evolved far beyond the tepid moderate whinging that the daily show always was and won't be allowed to unshackle from
You and me both :hfive:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Barbie was good. I liked it more the second time I watched it than the first time.

Also, hell yeah, a local AMC is gonna play The Zone of Interest, so I got a ticket for tomorrow.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

kalel posted:

watched the zone of interest

well, I can't really call it good. it was well made and well executed and well structured, but I did not enjoy myself at all. which I guess is the point. certainly, this was a film directed by the under the skin guy

now I need something comfy to watch so I'm probably going to get a ticket for the holdovers if I can
I loved Under the Skin, so I have high hopes for The Zone of Interest.

The Holdovers is definitely a comfy movie. It's really good!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Quantum of Phallus posted:

think i said it before but i remember the exact moment i knew that going to the cinema was up, when i went to see the rerelease of HEAT in what would be considered one of the big arthouse cinemas in dublin. some fucker was taking photos of the screen on their phone. right then i knew cinema was dead.
There were some young kids doing this during the showing of the Taylor Swift Eras movie I went to as well haha

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

dreezy posted:

out of purely economic curiosity, are goons going to the cinema with friends/family/fuckbuddies or shamefully alone? not intended to shame the loners despite the previous use of the word “shamefully, it just slipped in there
Alone like 99% of the time. If I waited for friends/family to go to the movies, I wouldn't go anywhere near as often.

Although I did somehow convince my dad to go see John Wick 4 with me last year. He liked it, but he hadn't seen any of the previous John Wick movies so I told him he would probably be lost and indeed he was haha

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Fury Road in the theatre, which I was pretty meh on afterwords
:catstare:

Fury Road is one of the best action movies of the past decade, wtf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The Zone of Interest was powerful and infuriating. gently caress Nazis.