Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

1. original DOOM, spiderdemon beat.

i beat the first episode when I was a kid and the game was on a floppy, ive never sat down and played the rest. doom owns.

on to doom II.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i looked up what american mcgees levels were and theyre all in doom ii. hoipe

----------------

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

absolutely anything posted:

03) mega man x 2 (snes, 100%)

first time finishing this one and i dunno if i was just in a bad mood or something but i did not like it. so much of it just felt like x1 again but annoying. some good new stuff in here for sure, the air dash is great, but i really don't ever want to play this again lol

x1 but annoying describes x2 to a t lol. it has some awesome music and its not a terrible game but it definitely feels rushed compared to how nearly perfect X1 is

X3 is a nightmare. all i remember is incredibly annoying bosses and the final boss having a tiny pixel head hitbox as the only point they took damage while they filled the screen with bullshit

----------------

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

risk of rain 2, mythrix beat on monsoon. also beat 3rd loop on monsoon as a personal challenge

this is the only good roguelike shooter because it has an obvious good design choice: upgrades are immediately impactful, they all give you more speed/damage/hp, and theres no pointless +3% bullshit
that said the moon and mythrix suck rear end. a terrible terrible ending to a very addictive game. always loop instead

----------------

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

bloodborne + old hunters - turn into baby worm ending. what a great game.

a 4k 60fips patch would be amazing, but Blupoint completely destroying the art and sound design would be even better.

----------------

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

In Training posted:

3. Dusk (normal mode). Episode 1 of this starts kinda slow - simple level design, a little too many open arenas where you just serious sam around and light up dogs. But ep2 & ep3 really kick rear end, better enemy variety & placement, excellent level design that elegantly jumps between cramped castle dives and open air sprawls. theres also a handful of cleverly crafted gimmick levels sprinkled throughout. great enemy design, i hated the drat dog go carts lmfao. what an insane idea for a hyper pinkie type. its cool that they wait until the last like 6 levels to add Cacodemons but theyre real bastards once they do. it was probably too easy on Normal but im glad i played through it to check it all out, i may just pick at random levels now on Hard from level select and try to find all the secrets etc. the only weapon i never really liked is the grenade launcher, i never got a handle on the firing arc really. the hunting rifle felt sick, and i really loved the Riveter. fun game.

dusk ftw. the boss thats just the newblood president doing a terrible arnie impression ftw

i hope it gets an expansion or sequel, theres definitely some act 2 levels i disagreed with lol but the dev knows what makes doom/quake good

----------------

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i love amid evil but a lot of enemies suck and theres no real shotgun

----------------

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

ArfJason posted:

isnt the mace a shotgun

it shoots a volley after a delay, and its powerful, but the projectiles are slow and any delay sucks. if you make a classic fps a hitscan shotgun that feels OP is kind of a must

----------------

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

dragonquest monsters: the dark prince

this game is very cheap and crude. it performs terribly even though it could run on a ps2, and there is no depth to the monster collecting/fusing. its all very arbitrary

cutscenes are nearly all basic characters talking. your chances of capturing a monster are abysmal until you beat the area, so the game is telling you to run past everything and get to the boss (???). most bosses are easy, but there are some wild huge difficulty spikes. what a rushed terrible game lol gently caress square

----------------

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Wormskull posted:

Bob just traded in 9 PS4 games for 1 PS3 game. He's actually doing his part rn tbh.

lmao

----------------

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

----------------

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

RE2make.

great game, bad bosses. just wanna replay 4 after this

----------------

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

metroid prime - hard mode - 100% items 99% scans. no idea what i missed and its NOT the ice shriekbats.

love this game.

----------------

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

ArfJason posted:

oh yeah i forgot to mention i beat metroid prime 3 before i started playing the bomberman games

i wasnt expecting a lot, so it managed to beat those expectations by being solid enough, but still not particularly great or interesting.
hypermode felt like a cheat, and youre never truly starving for health. i didnt die once in the game, but maybe thats due to rebalancing in the trilogy.
the ability to fly between different points should make the maps the most interconnected theyve been yet, cause each landing zone would, in theory, be like a room with 10 doors leading to any other landing zone, with a loading screen in between. sadly in practice this means that between each landing zone theres a series of rooms back to back in a hallway, with few hubs that branch off in different ways, and then one of the branches goes on into a dead end with a landing zone. this helped ease some of the backtracking, which by the end of prime 2 felt like a bit of a drag.

one of the things i knew going in was that this game features Text Boxes, so theres more character and dialogue than ever, which feels antithetical to metroids lone exploratory feel. i guess that bridge has already been crossed with the constant interruptions from scan visor, which in this game are taken up to eleven, with multiple identical terminals that function as on/off switches having a separate scan for each state. this gets old fast, but is optional so whatever.

for how much more of a focus there is on characters, they all fall very flat because theres no time to know them. maybe for you thats a blessing, but given theyre a sort of focus i think they needed to work them better. they dont even say something when they die, no mid battle barks, nothing to give them the slightest bit of extra characterization they sorely need. they become juiced up on the phazon and thats it. dark samus has a cool design and some neat animations, and i think they could have made her scarier, like the sa-x, but she does not feel threatening at all, especially given the game is super easy. at least she has a very cool theme song. thankfully, despite being easy, all boss fights have multiple stages that add some flavor, but it feels predictable knowing that at half health they do a new thing, and at about a quarter they enter hypermode. whatever, they commit to having more attack patterns, im down for it.

for some reason they make beams a linear upgrade path which was really disconcerting after 1 and 2, and as such the fighting becomes a bit more simplistic, but thanks to wii remote aiming, theres is more actual fps mechanical skill involved, which is welcome given im playing it with primehack. this results in fairer hitboxes on enemies, and more creative shooting challenges. i guess thats the reason they didnt focus on alternate beams.

the only really visually cool area is the skytown, and this comes at the cost of it being the most linear metroid area ive seen yet without playing other M. the fuel gel planet had some cool and clever puzzles, and the pirate homeworl was kinda neat but it does not have the creativity of the fortress from 2. music in general is not very catchy either.

finally, i felt there were a lot of bullshit one or two use case items in prime 1 and 2, but this game takes the cake, with the phazon overcharge whip which is used a grand total of 3 times. the hypermode morph ball area of effect attack that is used like 5 times, etc. at least the xray visor has some neat uses when you get the nova beam which phases thru walls, but overall, this feels more artificial barrier like than most metroid before it. and they bring back the worthless fuckin multirocket thing, and take away the sick as gently caress charge beam combos.

a bit bland, but i wouldnt say its bad. also they really tried hard to show the wii is NEXT GEN by having so much goddamn fuckin blur and bloom and browns.

mp3 has a lot of problems, even if the combat is an upgrade everything else takes 2 steps back. agree w everything you said

also not only is the bad multi missile back, there is also a big stupid backtracking fetch quest to go grab it like in 2. just loving pure resent for the player lmao

----------------

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

ArfJason posted:

its such a joke that in all the prime games you get a variant of the xray visor which is entirely there to be used once or twice to see an invisible platform here and there. in 2 its the echo visor so you can view arbitrarily placed points to shoot at, and they make you do a music puzzle twice. such lame progress gating.

are you planning to play other m. there is nothing redeeming about that game besides some of the later upgrades look cool, but playing through it was like shoveling poo poo forever

----------------

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

19) super mario 64 (n64, 120 stars)

anyone ever heard of this

big penguin

----------------

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

like a dragon: infinite

great game, a big improvement on 7, although the main story and villains are much weaker.

its an excuse to have Kasuga go to Hawaii and Kiryu reminisce about the series, and thats the meat of the game and the meat is good. beating dudes up never really got old with the much improved combat, even if the only hard fight in the game is the optional dungeon boss.

ending:

Bryce is a loving moron. what was even the point of his character lmao. Even Ebina in his big final speech is like "Yeah i dont know what he was thinking lmao" ????????

It was deflating to beat a giant squid and Bryce only for the game to flip to Kiryu so he could take down the less important villain, whose plan has just been publicly destroyed. felt very forced.

----------------

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

GBA golden sun

definitely remember this being better lol. how do you release a jrpg in the 2000s where characters dont do anything if their target was destroyed.

the story leaves you out to dry with no direction multiple times, and the dungeons are all "Haha, you took this side path to a dead end, hope you enjoy the 4-step encounters." anyone who wants to design an rpg should play this to see how easily you can gently caress up a barebones dragonquest-alike

----------------

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

ArfJason posted:

anyway, i got to experience doom 3's beloved and memorable setpiece firsthand, so at least it was worth it for that:

in the remake they put a flashlight on every gun and made the environments 4x brighter on top of that, eliminating the only trick the game has lol

----------------

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Good soup! posted:

SH4 is ok, just one of those games I have no desire to play again

I was thinking of adding Nioh to this list but tbh I think I'm gonna tap out. thought I was in the home stretch but turns out there's one more region to go and a few more sprawling annoying missions to go through and I don't think I have it in me. It goes from being enjoyable as hell, to ok, and by the end the flaws slowly start to become more and more apparent and even with endgame gear and weapons, the loving constant one- and two-shots from random enemies is irritating

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdxEUL18ySY

I hear the sequel is huge improvement which makes me glad because there's a lot to like here, it's just buried under a pile of horseshit by the final areas

bad news, nioh 2 also drags on forever and gives mobs way too much health and damage. also 90% of the 80hr campaign takes place in the same Burning Village map and its nauseating 👍

----------------

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

ori and the will of the wisps. love this game even though it very heavily rips off hollowknight. hope theyre working on ori 3

----------------

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

34) dragon ball z budokai 2 (ps2, cleared dragon world mode)

the fighting is slightly better but everything else is so much worse that i kinda hate this more than the first game lol. the story mode is an awful board game that takes forever and only takes advantage of the concept on the one stage where buu can absorb frieza and cell if he moves on to their spaces. the presentation is so much worse than the last game, it's mostly stilted poorly written text boxes. it's somehow even loving grindier if you want to unlock stuff and they lock world tournament mode behind how many characters you have. and even though the fighting is better it's still not like, good. just a real loving dire game. looking forward to trying out 3 ! ! ! ! ! ! !

3 is awesome because you can keep transforming mid-combo to juggle someone for ages and make that person stop being your friend

----------------

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

another crab's treasure

crab sekiro is a good game, there are definitely points that couldve used more polish but theres great enemy and boss variety, and the combat feels great. actually wish there was some more platforming and use of the shell roll, because when you gain some speed you shoot forward like a Goron in MM and they couldve done a lot more w/ this, but its just a way to get around larger areas quickly.

solid B+, if theres some kind of major content update or dlc I'll check it out

----------------

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

41) dragon ball z budokai 3 (ps2, cleared dragon universe mode with all default characters)

this is the only one of these that doesn't suck. i still don't think it's particularly incredible but you can play this and have a fine time, it controls well enough, looks good for the time, and you get to do a bunch of stupid dbz crap rather than it just feeling like a really stilted normal fighting game with goku in it. the story mode is completely schizophrenic it jumps around and omits/doesn't omit/makes up things in insane ways and is full of optional dialogue scenes that are mostly incomprehensible, it does not feel crafted by humans and it kinda owns for that lol

3 ruled and was a big step up

are you gonna play the tenkaichi games?

----------------