Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

1. The Legends of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
2. Super Mario 64
3. Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth
4. Super Mario World
5. Super Mario Land 2: Six Golden Coins
6. Super Mario Bros. 3
7. Super Mario Bros.
8. The Legend of Zelda

Bicyclops fucked around with this message at 15:47 on May 5, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Leadthumb posted:

2. Who stole the coal

e: RIP Toby

I was onboard with some villain stealing the naughty lists but it would be trivial for Santa to get more coal. this is the doom 2 of the who stole santas poo poo series.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

absolutely anything posted:

03) mega man x 2 (snes, 100%)

first time finishing this one and i dunno if i was just in a bad mood or something but i did not like it. so much of it just felt like x1 again but annoying. some good new stuff in here for sure, the air dash is great, but i really don't ever want to play this again lol

i play the original mega man x at least once a year but i only ever beat x2 and x3 once. they just don't hit the same way for me for whatever reason.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

mega man 5 is fine even if it's not as good as mega man 1 - 3. i can't tell if i don't like mega man 6 because it's actually bad or because by the time i get to it i'm always burned out, lol.

i think mega man 8 is the only flagship one i never beat, but i don't think i would replay the new retro ones. they were good but they feel like one and done kind of games to me.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

American McGay posted:

I like the Gameboy ones. :shobon:

i always forget about them, but the concept of doing like half the bosses/stage elements from one mega man game and half the bosses from another one seems like a good way to make it fresher than just "the NES games but scaled down." i can't remember if they did that for the whole series or just some of them

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

don't sign your posts!!!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

if you wait for your dick/balls/taint to start really sizzling then you can probably use the fire to light a fart.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

ground control to Major Tom
ground control to Major Tom
please blast off with farts and stop loving my mom

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

did capcom every do a downloadable mega man x collection?

i've bought mega man x way too many times to play it conveniently on my TV and i would do it again.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

ooh, both are on sale, cool.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Mamkute posted:

1. Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Chaos Bleeds (Professional)

lmao

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

symbolic posted:

Goofus gets his supply of games from a CC'd e-mail from Humble Bundle

Gallant gets his supply of games from eBay>newest first

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

deciding six days into the year that I'm adding "beat at least one NES game a month" so I can continue on my "beating by release order" quest. Punch-Out! did me in last year

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

In Training posted:

1. Dragon Quest XI - Platinum. Only draconian quest active was no xp for weaker monsters which I turned off before the final super boss so i could grind to Lvl 99.

Basically a perfect game. I played it on PC when it first came out and absolutely adored it, but dropped it after the Act 2 credits. I still think the act 3 story is weak BUT it still wound up being my favorite part of the game. I loved the free form nature of that enormous finale, where you just get your own memories of the world to guide what you do next.

Amazing squad. Amazing power curve, I think until literally the final grind of the game I was always thinking "oh nice just like 2 more levels until I unlock XX panel, which means I can move to" etc. the towns are all gorgeous and never feel like a chore to hang out in no matter how many tiems the story has you revisiting previous locations.

I jumped between a wide variety of party comps throughout the game, but by the end my absolute boss killer squad was Hero/Jade/Eight/Serena. Erik sometimes subbed for Jade if I could.keep him alive on the harder fights.

This caps off a pretty powerful series run. I started replaying the entire series with my GF a few years ago, who is a mega completionist and made us do every super boss and collect every mini medal etc. in every entry sans X (the nadir was grinding 1000+ battles on Slime Island in PSX DW7 to unlock Hero job for other party members to defeat God fast enough to unlock the spirits battle). now she's my wife and I'm ecstatic at finally seeing every square inch of XI, and the entire series, but really huge hole in my heart now that we've wrapped everything up...here's to continuing to wait for XII. DQ forever. Emotional evening.

5 > 11 > 8 > 3 > 7 > 4 > 1 > 2 > 6. But I even still like 6 it's just meh.

congrats! :cheers:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

suddenly thinking of the kid who would visit our cottage in the summer to see the NES who spent a solid five minutes walking straight into just a regular wall because he thought it was a rock you could break because of the "BRRMP! BRRMP!" sound effect

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

*there are fourteen square tiles in the whole game and one of them has a guy who tells you which one to search*

ooh we got us a stumper here. anyone's mom let them call the nintendo power hotline?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

tmfc posted:

03. Donkey Kong Country 2 (102%)

better overall than the 1st game. better soundtrack, nice progression of the art style, etc. i like how this game is sort of drab and dark. there's some absolute bullshit in here like putting some of the DK coins in the prize rotation at the end of the stage, the DK coin that was hidden in a bonus stage, that early water level where there is almost no indication when there are hidden walls that lead to bonus rooms and the DK coin, etc. the levels were harder on the whole than DKC1 i think, but they're more fun to replay / try again when you screw up. some of the bonus rooms were really dumb but i appreciate that they were actual minigames/puzzles that you had to complete, and not just prize rooms like the first game.

Animal Antics wasn't that bad tbh. the bonus room barrel was in an obvious location and the parrot section isn't hard at all if you go slowly and tap the d-pad as the wind direction changes. the level with the rising toxic waste just before it was a lot harder for me lol.

Is that the one in the castle that also has the snake and the parrot? I kind of want to play it again now, lol.

maybe with the kids after we finish Mario 64

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Like a Dragon: Ishin! - 4/5. Very enjoyable side game that feels like everyone in the Yakuzaverse came together to put on a play for U. If you're like me and playing thru the series from 0, this will absolutely hit.

you're almost caught up in time for 8

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Fungah! posted:

metroid dread (hard mode). still a really good game but theres some annoying poo poo in there. never wnt to fight another chozo soldier again lol. basic movement feels really good though and the bosses are fun

i feel like "never want to fight another chozo soldier again" is a feature not a bug, lol. absolute king move that nintendo just released a top 10 game for that year with barely any fanfare. metroid dread ftw.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Fungah! posted:

oh definitely insanely sick tht the game went from not existing to kicking rear end in like three months and it is real good, ij ust wish there were fewer bosses, the unique ones are all real fun and th first time you fight chozo soldiers/chozo elites is cool, but then theres like four more of each of em lol. 9/10 game imo

i like the progression of the chozo bosses (iirc, none of them are exactly the same), but yeah, i still never want to fight one again, lol.

my biggest complaint with dread is that it's a little too much on rails compared to even super metroid for a lot of the game and it's a minor complaint.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Fungah! posted:

yeh tbh it feels like a sequel to fusion more than super metroid/zero mission. more linear, guy giving you general directions, limited squence breaks available

the perfect 2D metroid game definitely feels like it's on the horizon. lessons learned on Dread is a short hop.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Super Mario 64 - I let my kids pick which level to do next and finished with 70 stars. Been a loooooong time since I didn't get all 120. They want me to play Mario Sunshine next.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Good soup! posted:

That's right, it doesnt actually count until you do both scenarios for both characters

I'm getting reports that he was playing the whole thing at the Florida Association of Mortgage Brokers. someone revoke his game club badges and any imp zone pioneer stickers.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Just wrapped up Britney Spears vs. Cartman.swf - Decent little fighter. Not even close to a BLAM, hovering around a 4/5.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

3. Meccano

my kindergartener got some "300 video games in one device!!" for 20 bucks at a Walgreens. they're all inscrutable 8-bit mysteries. in this one, you move some shapes from the bottom of the screen to an area outlined for them above to build a house. if you miss with the shape it honks at you. you get three tries and there are five levels. truly and indie treasure worthy of Bob's attention. 0/5

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I tell myself I'm going to learn shogi every time instead of using the cheat item and just waiting for the computer to tell me what to do but then I don't learn it.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

looks like someone was tweaking the slider on the Batman meter a little too close to launch.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

RGG: charging extra for new game plus.
Rocksteady: starting you right off in New Game plus right at launch.

arkham stays winning.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

super mario bros. 2 is okay by NES platformer standards but not by super mario standards.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Wormskull posted:

This guys mouth is a mothafuckin CLOACA! Your argument is invalid.

American McGay posted:

SMB3, known for lacking experimentation and creativity.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Good soup! posted:

5. Deja Vu (NES), 2/1

A short trip down memory lane. Only put in about 90 minutes or so but I only remember watching my brother play it when I was very young, so I got mugged and killed a few times lol

Had to use a guide for the end and felt like a dumbass because I forgot to toss the evidence in the sewer. Goofy rear end game, but I don't miss these old adventure game interfaces though

deja vu is awesome. there are so many ways to lose and not realize you hosed up right until the end of the game, lol.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Aston posted:

That was more of a reaction to Corn Kidz than I expected...

not sure which british accent to read this post in.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

i think i have to finish infinite wealth and dq11 before taking on another jrpg, lol. by the time i get to rebirth, the imps will laready have unlocked all the cool strats

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Final Fantasy Pixel Remaster. Been a while since I played through the first game, this is a pretty good version

I like that all the changes are subtle enough that it still feels like the same game, but it also has a ton less grind.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I'm pretty sure secret of evermore was purchased almost exclusively by people who thought it was a sequel to secret of mana

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Vadun posted:

8) Secret of Mana

I wish they let you use shortcuts to cast in co-op, otherwise still a great game. I ended up grinding for all the rare drops

my brother and I never got the second orb (I think axe?) that the Fiend Heads drop in the Mana Fortress. It's loving incredible to me that they remade this game and didn't include online co-op. Like... what even was the point?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Tetris. Some kind of puzzle roguelike?

lol

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Kiryu thinking:

lol.

"Maybe the girls at the Cabaret Club would want to talk about this...?"

Adbot