Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Waffleman_ posted:

I don't think they've made a single Halo game that people really liked in like a decade

Halo Infinite's pretty good they just hosed up the saas part of it incredibly

They're working on Halo 6 now instead lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

X-Box also just isn't as popular overseas as just a consistent thing at this point. Even when it picks up speed it still massively underperforms its competitors, and nothing has really managed to shift that.

PC gaming is also a bigger impact in Europe to my understanding, so if someone is going to get a console it makes more sense to get Switch or PS for exclusives because anything Microsoft makes will also come to PC.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jan 31, 2024

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

stev posted:

I don't know a single person irl that bought a Bone or a XSX. As far as I can tell they're both massive flops - it's Gamepass that's the success.
XBone maybe, but I know of an XSX in the wild, and I also bought one, which is on-par with PS5 numbers. It's a nice machine to have even if it doesn't see as much dedicated use as my PS5 or PC for gaming. I put it in the bedroom and with Game Pass it's nice to have a continuous experience between games on there and on my PC. The user interface is also much nicer than on PS5 IMO. It definitely feels less like a dedicated entry in the console wars though, and more like an appliance that facilitates the Microsoft Gaming Experience on my TV. Were it physically possible, it would probably make more sense in a FireTV-like form factor.

Volte fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jan 31, 2024

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

goatface posted:

They're selling about half as many. It's not getting thrashed, like the PS2 vs Xbox (~6:1) era or utterly destroyed like the Saturn and Dreamcast were.

going from selling about as many as your primary competitor to half as many is pretty bad

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Xbox consoles have always been a loss leader for the wider product ecosystem - reducing the number of console units sold without decreasing overall revenue isn't a bad thing.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Khanstant posted:

Spider-Man is also one of the better main superheroes. Superman is an alien demigod raised in a rural environment and culture that doesn't actually exist anywhere. Batman is a psychotic billionaire who is terrible at stopping crime. Spider-Man is a regular person with the kinds of problems and life a human might be able to relate to in some way.

Plus the weird rights sharing thing means we usually get Spiderman movies not connected to Marvel DC crap.

if "relating to" the superhero matters your game has too many story cutscenes and not enough beating up badguys and swinging from buildings.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

if "relating to" the superhero matters your game has too many story cutscenes and not enough beating up badguys and swinging from buildings.

So like the new suicide squad game?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Zokari posted:

going from selling about as many as your primary competitor to half as many is pretty bad

They only sold competitively for 1 generation and it was because the overengineered PS3 cost like $100 more

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Khanstant posted:

No, that one's about supervillains

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Khanstant posted:

the movement in that game looks fun, it's a shame about the loot and constant aaa storygame cutscenes

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Khanstant posted:

I can not believe how much of that game is just running from cutscene to scutscene.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Zokari posted:

They just had one outstanding generation where they were on par. That's their outlier.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Mr Hootington posted:

I can not believe how much of that game is just running from cutscene to scutscene.

Lol I don't think I've even seen a trailer for it, I guessed it was just repetitive action grind to funnel mtx. When people talk about it I think I'm imagining awards show previews of a turn based superhero game. Edit: I think that was Midnight Suns and these are two distinct products nobody wants.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ja1rtSS4YlI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwhvfH-Ij8Q

Bloodlines 2 gameplay trailers.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Khanstant posted:

Lol I don't think I've even seen a trailer for it, I guessed it was just repetitive action grind to funnel mtx. When people talk about it I think I'm imagining awards show previews of a turn based superhero game. Edit: I think that was Midnight Suns and these are two distinct products nobody wants.

The grind happens after you finish the story which is 7-9 hours of running from scene to scene with 5 half hour boss bullet sponge fights.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I admit I was mostly bored but then I saw they gave you the ability to do a Jojo/FotNS punch rush and suddenly my interest rose.

Other than that though it sure looks like Generic Stealth Superpower Game 2024.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Oh boy, a constantly chattering voice in your head that's always never annoying.

Took out character creation to make a first person stealth and combat game, choosing if you want to be more stealth or combaty. The exploration is pressing X on a few glowing objects they sprinkle at combat arena. The feeding in combat or stealth is like Doom to recharge health or special attacks resources.

I'm not sure these people even played Bloodlines. The dev referenced Bioware RPGs when talking about almost letting you characterize their protagonists, instead of reaching for the more obvious example of the game they are supposed to be making a sequel to.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Khanstant posted:

No, Midnight Suns was great.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/Palworlds_JP/status/1752756323953831943?s=20

E: This appears to be a fake account that somehow got the gold checkmark which is even more lmao

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Everybody loves Palworld, the cute little survival game that drinks milkshakes!

*checks twitter*

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

this is a scam account, not the real palworld account. btu that also makes it funnier

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Waffleman_ posted:

E: This appears to be a fake account that somehow got the gold checkmark which is even more lmao

lol

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
360 started out strong against the PS3, but the PS3 eventually caught up and outsold it world wide. Xbox in general does well in the US, but most markets around the world prefer Playstation by a significant margin.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

gold checkmarks arent real on twitter anymore you just pay 10k for them

which again makes this even funnier

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
double lmao

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023
I can't believe someone would try to swipe the nft dollars right from under pocketpair

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

paying $10k to pull an NFT scam in 2024 requires both some serious stones and truly boundless incompetence

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

lmao wtf

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Waffleman_ posted:

I mean, apparently you weren't paying any attention during the Xbox One because that basically never recovered from its disastrous pre-launch controversy.

Yeah I really wasn’t. The last console I owned was a PS3 before leaving behind it all together. Only time I really paid attention was during the E3s because they were always fun to cringe-watch while posting. Thanks for the info all.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
surely the scammers just stole an account from someone who already had a checkmark?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

surely the scammers just stole an account from someone who already had a checkmark?
possible, if you go back far enough their tweets are just random bullshit.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

the checkmark is fake

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

what's a more horrifying thought: people paying $10k to try and foist fake licensed NFTs, or someone paying $10k to have a gold checkmark next to their white noise twitter output

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Wintendo

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

https://twitter.com/Palworlds_JP/status/1752756323953831943?s=20

https://twitter.com/Bucky_cm/status/1751456399023047097

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Palwcrld

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

took the bread and the lamb spread
Lipstick Apathy

ImpAtom posted:

No, Midnight Suns was great.

Yeah, a shame it apparently didn't sell well. Midnight Suns was really good.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I can't believe Palworld would rip off crypto scammers like this

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Palvvorld