Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I'm kinda confused that anything other than the moment magnitude scale is still being referenced by news outlets in 2023, but to actually read "Richter scale" is a certified mindfuck.

/Edit: lol nevermind, it's 2024

Happy new year, y'all :smith:

Often people say Richter scale when they mean moment magnitude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Platystemon posted:

The earthquake was not expected to cause particularly large waves, but it was so close that there wasn’t exactly time to monitor the situation before sending out alerts.

The initial tsunami alerts are fully automated, aren’t they?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

:tif:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

habituallyred posted:

Considering one of Mohamed's titles was"Seal of the Prophets"... Its against any sort of Islam that refers to the Quran.

last_prophet_v5_final_imeanitthistime

I think “seal of the prophets” has only been reversed once between Christianity and Islam but I’m not 100% on that one?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Meanwhile in Vegas

https://twitter.com/lasvegaslocally/status/1742670392849060162?s=46

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Apparently the blue suit guy is the defense attorney?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

CBJSprague24 posted:

Has the Epstein list come out yet? I'm confused.

It’s the unredacted flight logs and depositions, there isn’t really as much info as people expected in the logs. A lot of the names are just initials, though comically at random there are entries for “PRESIDENT CLINTON” and “ALAN DERSHOWITZ”.

Al Gore shows up briefly but the deposition says:
https://twitter.com/marionawfal/status/1742717201340080157?s=46

And then we have:
https://twitter.com/razisardar/status/1742718668684100078?s=46

Other billionaires hate Trump so that follows.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I thought you couldn’t buy phones in the 50s and could only rent? Or was that more of a 70s thing.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

And if anyone has seen that door, please email the ntsb, thanks!

https://twitter.com/avgeekjake/status/1743849387024073166?s=46

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Platystemon posted:

The freakiest thing is who among us doesn’t have their phone lock itself after a few minutes?

I’m better it was either stuck on the boarding pass screen that keeps it on or the password was the same as everyone’s luggage and they realized that punching that in is technically a crime before talking to the feds

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Technically, "President" is one of those titles that stick around after the office. "President Carter", "President Bush", "President Clinton" are also all appropriate.

Very stupid trivia: There’s actually been arguments about this since the constitutional convention. If you look up a formal manners or etiquette guide like Emily Post I believe they will all still say that “president” alone should refer to only one person, namely the current one.

However former presidents have been called “president” in some formal contexts since George Washington left office so :shrug:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Platystemon posted:

https://twitter.com/BillMelugin_/status/1745604622197113076

Yeah this has always worked out well in the past.

There is definitely a universe where the republican party is bookended by resolutions determining “whether the spot on which the blood of our citizens was shed, as in his messages declared, was or was not within the territory of Spain, at least after the treaty of 1819, until the Mexican revolution”

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

A.o.D. posted:

One thing that came out of the previous state border call-ups is that their lives were just as disrupted as if they were subject to a federal call up. Even though they were closer to home, they were still sick at their assigned areas.

Note that since it’s a state wide deployment odds are that Alaska is effectively as far from home as the border is for many. It’s really hard to undersell how loving big Texas is.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

MonkeyFit posted:

It's really not as big as they claim. It's the same as that dude that constantly has to let everyone know how big their dick is.

Yeah, Alaska laughs at them but El Paso to Houston being a 12 hour drive is nuts.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Alaska also requires entering another country!

I think the only other states where you’d do that to max out drive distances are Washington and Minnesota?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

fknlo posted:

:911: "We do not support the independence of Taiwan"

:911: Sells Taiwan a $400,000,000,000,000.00 weapons package that includes Terminators.

:freep: JOE BIDEN CHINA

An original part of the “one china” policy is a word game where you never specify whether “China” refers to the PRC or RoC.

quote:

The United States acknowledges that all Chinese on either side of the Taiwan Strait maintain there is but one China and that Taiwan is a part of China and does not challenge that position.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

lightpole posted:

How was Hong Kong forced? The UK had a 99 year lease. 1997 was the end of that lease and reverted back to China.

But “one country, two systems” was eventually discarded.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

pmchem posted:

delusional to try and take on a DDG in a task force with a lone anti-ship cruise missile

Delusional is a strong word. Russia’s fancy stuff doesn’t work right now and the Stark attack, while almost 40 years ago and not an AEGIS destroyer, showed that USN ships might not be as good as “advertised”.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

.....I suspect a Reagan era attack has little bearing on the readiness of modern US destroyers, and the issue was less around the destroyer and more around its current state, it was not expecting nor watch for an attack and most of its any missile systems stayed in standby until second before it hit. Not really relevant.

My point is more that there are so few publicly known real world tests that it isn’t delusional to try.

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Jan 15, 2024

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

pseudosavior posted:

Then it's just a race to "who gets the Bagger 288 first".

Its usually busy with godzillas and doom robots from the future.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Kazinsal posted:

Has that ever happened, switching away from an incumbent VP on the ticket for an incumbent president? Seems like it’d be the kind of catastrophic thing that would tank a run.

I wanted to say something bizarre like that happened before the civil war between the splintering of the democratic-republicans and the Whigs being the Whigs but I may have been remembering Tyler being elected a member of the confederate house which feels like an even crazier “demotion”.

edit: wait, I mangled that with an ascended VP->president->VP. Replacing VPs has happened with reasonable regularity.

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jan 16, 2024

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

It’s a mess of a book. But it also contains certain nerd shibboleths and touchstones that make it hard to just outright 1:1 dismiss entirely.

Similarly if you’ve never read Ender’s Game, go ahead and do that and then immediately read Speaker for the Dead.

Then and only then look up OSC’s politics.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Soul Dentist posted:

Definitely don't go from Enders Game to Folk of the Fringe, a collection of short stories from a future where the temple in Salt Lake City is the last bastion of civilization

I will say I didn’t fully internalize “death of the author” until finding out about OSC after reading the Ender books. Just… how?! I can’t figure out what reading he possibly intended other than one he strongly disagreed with?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

My Spirit Otter posted:

theres a difference between all planes and boeing planes.

id never willingly fly on a non-military boeing

A new one anyway. All NG 737s at this point have been through depot maintenance checks at this point and so you aren’t relying on Boeing assembling it correctly anymore, you’re instead relying on the aircraft owner.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

My Spirit Otter posted:

yea, i was meaning the cargo plane over miami, not the herc. i only brought the herc up because ours are old as gently caress and still flying safely.

Lockheed was too good for civil aviation.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Xakura posted:

:lol:

I'm thinking the VP pick is going to be pretty deranged

Ron probably thinks this gives him the best shot at VP.

He’s wrong.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Discussion Quorum posted:

More cynically, I am guessing "not actually a crime and we have depended on decorum thus far"

There is no indication of where the robocall is from so that is at least a violation of some sort.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/usainuk/status/1750136728034169147?s=46

This is a declaration of war, right?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Tiny Timbs posted:

This was reported on multiple times throughout the administration (including articles specifically about Ronny Jackson) and never went anywhere.

Weren’t there reports of this during the Obama admin too? I might be mixing up the timing. I specifically remember the story about the White House physician offering everyone downers at the beginning of and uppers at the end of AF1 flights.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

The Georgia case is likely in the clear because it turns out the claim about the lead prosecutor being in a divorce hearing with the other prosecutor is false, they released the unsealed docs today.

It was always just a long shot by Trump's lawyers

Good, that was so stupid that I thought it was 100% true and would be how he wiggled his way out of this one.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

shame on an IGA posted:

That is my view of the post-verdict developments in the Alex Murdaugh case tho

I have not followed this at all and completely tuned out all the media about this. Is the one sentence summary “the county clerk tampered with the jury to write a book about the case”

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ded posted:

wow. all they ever gave me was 800mg motrin horse pills

1600mg of motrin/12 hours is just trying to kill your kidneys.

DXM, Mucinex and real sudafed is probably the best you can do for a cold? If you're really clogged up afrin works wonders for me but as a reminder they are not kidding about the 3 day limit thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Shaddak posted:

2024 just keeps going.

Bad story: Son of an Isreali consular officer uses a motorcycle to run over a cop, during a traffic stop. Suspectec to be intentional.
https://amp.miamiherald.com/news/local/crime/article284905607.html

Cool story: It's only infrared but, the JWST has directly imaged two planets orbiting a white dwarf. https://phys.org/news/2024-01-webb-images-planets-orbiting-white.amp

quote:

During his bond hearing on Sunday, Gil’s attorney told the judge the suspect is the son of a diplomat; therefore, he has “consular immunity.” WPLG Local 10 News reported Gil is the son of Eli Gil, consul for administration at the Consulate General of Israel in Miami.

Despite the allegation that Gil can’t be prosecuted, Miami-Dade State Attorney’s Office said in a statement Wednesday the case remains open.

“Defense counsel’s representation was relied upon and the defendant was released on his own recognizance,” the state attorney’s office said. “After receiving confirmation from the State Department, Office of Foreign Missions, that neither the defendant nor his father have diplomatic immunity, we are proceeding as usual with our investigation.”

lol consular immunity wouldn’t even apply to the consul here? I however assume that gambit bought them enough time to board a flight home.