Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Vorkosigan posted:

This is the one I remember.

A former coworker of mine had worked a night shift the evening before and was at home sleeping when that quake hit. He got up and went outside to have a look around and one of his neighbors was out on their front lawn, shrieking hysterically about how things would never be the same again.

The mid-Atlantic doesn't really handle earthquakes well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

facialimpediment posted:

It really is notable that outside of Biden's official statement on the earthquake/tsunami, I haven't seen poo poo about it in my usual feeds. One of those worst-vase scenarios where the information doesn't move elsewhere, it just completely goes poof.

It seems like there were some fires and small collapsed buildings close to the epicenter but it doesn't look like the tsunamis materialized, or that there was a ton of damage or loss of life due to the quake.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

FYI, this graph conveys a much more dire conception of winter temperatures than is actually the reality. I, and most Americans, prefer this version put out by Americans for Climate Sanity, which is led by industry leaders from the gas, mining and automobile sectors.

See? Nothing to worry about.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

https://x.com/AP/status/1742539757500956896?s=20

Surely this will calm things down on a regional basis. This won’t be a problem at all.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Midjack posted:

Good for him! He may actually see the money since it'll be paid out of withheld funds and I hope he has family and other people helping him to assemble a good care team and getting the money set up to last him the rest of his life.

At the very least, he's gonna be able to buy plat for all of his parachute accounts after they keep getting banned!

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

It’s less of a big deal that he called himself a prophet but it would have been way worse had he referred to himself as the Mahdi or the 12th Imam.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

that was a p good dive

This wouldn’t have happened in P Barnes’ courthouse though

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Nick Soapdish posted:

https://twitter.com/byHeatherLong/status/1743264127995326644?t=uu20sAuhXdDwql-GbTinNg&s=19

"Good jobs report and why that's bad news for Joe Biden," the MSM almost certainly

With the caveat that I know that an individual president really has little sway over the short-term direction of the economy, I think a lot of people look at those numbers and think "well, that sure as poo poo doesn't apply to me." My annual pay increase didn't keep pace with inflation or the CPI and my wife and I are effectively priced out of buying a new home right now thanks to interest rates, and we are solidly in what would be the middle-class professional bracket. It's not like prices on consumer goods that went up during and after the acute phase of the pandemic are coming down, either. There's been a lot of op-eds about the "vibecession" and such (mostly with a not-so-subtle tinge of "why don't the proles realize how good they really have it?") but people are going to vote based on how they perceive their own financial circumstances, and the only place they're going to direct that toward is the incumbent president. Notice how no one's really trumpeting "Bidenomics" anymore?

edit: shameful snipe, have a cozy puppy who certainly doesn't care about the rising cost of dog food and stuffies

pantslesswithwolves fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jan 5, 2024

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

I've seen so many photos of chuds wearing those 5.11 Tactec weight vests as plate carriers that I'm starting to think that the company itself should face charges as an accessory to 1/6.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Austin was in the ICU for three loving days before the Pentagon told the White House.

https://www.politico.com/news/2024/01/06/pentagon-took-3-days-to-inform-white-houses-nsc-of-austins-hospitalization-00134176

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

"The nerve- the absolute NERVE- of these protestors!" I wail, feeling a fragment of tooth lacerate my cheek as I grind my teeth in searing, white-hot anger. "My commute! My blissful, stress-free commute to my wonderful email job! Ruined by these assholes- these IDIOTS!- daring to raise awareness about dead Palestinians blown to pieces by blocking the FREEWAY! My tax dollars PAID for this freeway, and those bombs!"

I reach for my phone. I can barely work the touchscreen with my fingers, dripping with sweat tinged with the bitter yet intoxicating musk of high-octane rage.

"Hello, yes, Israeli Embassy?" I shriek, my voice a caricature of itself as my vengeance-crazed lizard brain takes over. "I'm calling to tell you that I've been stuck in traffic for the past 15 minutes because of PROTESTORS and I've made up my mind- BOMB GAZA HARDER! Leave nothing that casts a shadow standing in Gaza! Make their children orphans, then make their future children orphans! Salt the ground upon which they stand, then set it ablaze! Choke the Mediterranean with their dead! Then do it to Beirut, Damascus and Tehran!"

"That'll show them!" I scream into my air conditioning vent, smashing my phone's screen as I pound my fists into the steering wheel. "That'll show all of them!"

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Zamujasa posted:

We really got lucky with "just" the failure we got, christ. :stare: Imagine if one of those fuckers popped higher up.

https://fxtwitter.com/i/status/1744465496919973929/

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

OddObserver posted:

I suspect there are less guns involved, even if they are comparably out of their religion's mainstream. The Taliban probably has worse calendar game, too.

Yeah, about that. This guy was bribing NYPD officers to get handgun permits for the Basij Committees for the Promotion of Virtue and the Prevention of Vice Shomrim, the Ultra-Orthodox "neighborhood patrols" that operate in heavily Hasidic neighborhoods in Brooklyn.

As someone who used to live in Wiliamsburg back when it was cool I can confirm that they're the Jewish Taliban. gently caress em.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

M_Gargantua posted:

Its 100% possible to elevate female candidates who represent their constituents who don't also have terrible politics and awful baggage. But both political parties seem to prefer cringe white dudes for some reason.

Maybe not the best example, but AOC would be a much better 2024 VP pick, but I really doubt the Biden Campaign's and thus by extension the DNC's ability to choose and elevate likeable candidates let alone likable women.

The centrist faction of the DNC would treat AOC or anyone to the left of Buttigieg as if Biden personally dug up the corpse of Fidel Castro and started doing a puppet show with his skull.

I still wish Elizabeth Warren was a political force, or Tammy Duckworth had national aspirations. I want President AOC someday but I could easily vote for either of them.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

A.o.D. posted:

You know who did? Max Brooks!

I was just thinking that.

At least the Iranians don’t have nukes that we know of yet :tinfoil:.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

facialimpediment posted:

We had a long discussion about this earlier so not looking to rehash it, but a bit more data for what I was saying that voters are currently kinda not paying attention / clueless:

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/01/19/us/politics/trump-biden-voters-2024-election.html?searchResultPosition=2

There's still a lot of "oh they'll just switcheroo biden at the convention because superdelegates" conspiracy stuff all over and the media's drive for ratings / a competitive primary has kinda trampled some of the serious people.

The greatest fraud that political science ever perpetrated on both the world and itself is that voter behavior can be explained or rationalized. At the end of the day, voters- and people in general- are loving dumb.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

bird food bathtub posted:

I am exactly one of those "My situation is good but I feel the 'economy' is hosed" people and my reasoning for that is because I live my life one wrong car turn or cancer diagnosis or blood vessel away from losing everything I have to bankruptcy and homelessness for my family with absolutely no form of safety net to catch us the picosecond I am no longer a profit-making endeavor for my employer. How the gently caress does me making an above average salary and having some money in the bank translate to a good situation when it can all completely evaporate with no hope for recovery based on nothing I did or choices I made? It's a better situation than I've had in the past, but that is a long goddamn way from good.

Same boat. I’m what used to be considered a middle-class professional, but thanks to rising prices and wages that haven’t kept pace with inflation, my ability to save, contribute to retirement and maintain my lifestyle is significantly constrained. We recently had a major emergency surgery for one of my dogs that would cost $10k USD, and the only reason we didn’t hesitate is because we have insurance for them. If we didn’t, we would have had the choice of severely damaging our finances or losing what is basically a family member to us.

People keep pointing at economic indicators and a “vibecession” and I keep getting a “no, it’s the children voters who are wrong” vibe from them. Statistics don’t mean poo poo if your own situation doesn’t reflect them, and I’m tired of being condescended to by people telling me how wrong I am about how great the economy is because it’s in their political interest to do so.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

hypnophant posted:

that said it's perfectly fine to want to hold politicians accountable for their failure to do anything about these problems. If you think withholding your vote from Biden is going to hold him accountable for not fixing the housing market or the health care system, go ahead and do that. All I ask is, before making your decision, think critically for a moment about the political system as a whole

There's a sizable portion of the population, and likely of this forum, for whom their votes simply don't matter at the national level. I live in DC, and in 2020, their primary was held so late that Biden had already locked in the nomination and his challengers largely conceded, so it didn't matter who I voted for. Also, this city, along with many other states, have such large blue margins that individual votes simply don't have a meaningful impact. Voting political power at the national level in the US is unfortunately largely contained to a few early voting states in primary season and swing states during the general election- if I ever lived in one of those, I'd honestly be extremely torn about how I'd cast my ballot. Otherwise, given that I really have no say in picking my primary candidate or voicing my discontent for an unimpressive President whose narcissism has led him to believe that he's the only one who could beat Donald loving Trump again despite his advanced age and low approval numbers- what else am I to do beyond leaving the President/Vice-President field blank on my ballot?

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Tiny Timbs posted:

“My vote doesn’t matter because my state always has such large margins one way or the other” has always seemed to be nonsensical to me. These things can and do change over time and sometimes rapidly, and depending on which way you swing your vote is what can keep them stable.

gonna take quite some time for those numbers to shift to have any impact what-so-loving-ever on my three precious electoral college votes

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Tiny Timbs posted:

*shrug* Every election is a new election. Maybe Trump will mock the right kind disabled person in the next few months and grab 30 points.

I just think feeling confident is a poor excuse not to vote or to think your vote doesn’t matter.

I research and pay attention to every down-ballot candidate and initiative because that’s the stuff that makes the most difference in my daily life. But dude, it’s DC. Despite having more people than some states, we don’t have senators or a representative. There’s a reason why our license plates say “taxation without representation” on them.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

This is overly simplistic, but I'm struggling to understand why government built and maintained housing that meets some minimum standard and rents out at some multiple of minimum wage isn't the solution here. Create a minimum affordable standard while still maintaining the private market for everyone else.

~my property values~

quote:

Same deal, why isn't there a permanent WPA that provides a decent wage and benefits for anyone who wants to sign up? $20ish/hr for entry level manual, clerical, etc work that's always hiring. If a private company wants to hire successfully, they're going to need to create jobs that are more productive than that basic standard.

~my tax dollars~

These things are obviously good ideas and a just society should implement them, but we’ve had 40+ years of right-wing programming that no one can benefit without someone else losing, and that someone is always you no matter whether you’d something from a program.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

UBI really is something we need to consider because AI is going to go after traditional office type jobs the way automation went after manufacturing.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Wasabi the J posted:

I'm pretty sure that's how the homebrew euthanasia folks are doing it.

Isn’t the anxiety and pain from asphyxiation caused by the buildup from carbon dioxide in the bloodstream, not the lack of oxygen itself?

I’m not in favor of the death penalty at all but I think I’d pick slowly passing out without pain over being a human guinea pig for whatever drug cocktail isn’t yet banned for sale by pharmaceutical companies.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

ded posted:

cruelty is the point

Ah, yeah, about that. Back to the drawing board, I guess.

quote:

Alabama death row inmate Kenneth Eugene Smith has been executed by nitrogen gas – making him the first person in US history to be put to death through the controversial method.

Smith, 58, was pronounced dead at 8.25pm CT on Thursday at the William C Holman Correctional Facility in Atmore, Alabama, almost three decades after he was convicted in the 1988 murder-for-hire plot of Elizabeth Sennett.

His religious adviser Reverend Jeff Hood, who witnessed the execution, told reporters what he saw was a man “struggling for their life” for a staggering 22 minutes.

Alabama authorities insist the execution went to plan, despite predicting the untested method would lead to unconsciousness within seconds and death in minutes.

But, witnesses said Smith appeared conscious for several minutes, shaking and writhing on the gurney.

“We didn’t see somebody go unconscious in 30 seconds,” said Rev Hood. “What we saw was minutes of someone struggling for their life.”

Smith’s death came after the US Supreme Court denied a final, 11th-hour bid to stay of execution. The ruling received dissent from Justice Sonia Sotomayor who wrote that the state had selected Smith as a “guinea pig” by using the untested method.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/alabama-execution-nitrogen-kenneth-smith-updates-b2485208.html

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

My experience with legally prescribed opiates has ranged from "Gosh, I sure do like watching the Lord of the Rings and having vivid dreams about snorkeling on a tropical reef" to "oh god I hate this itching and I just had an episode of sleep paralysis where a demonic woman attacked me in my sleep." I won't ask for them if I'm seeking medical care, but if the doctor sees fit to prescribe them for short-term pain management, I'll use them for their intended purpose and then chuck the rest in with a bag of dog poo poo.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Zero VGS posted:

"No YOU shut the gently caress up dad!"

For the uninitiated

https://youtu.be/9OYZ04mCGCo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Tyro posted:

Dad probably has at best support staff level immunity which only applies to official acts and therefore doesn't convey any privileges to family members.

It's actually super important for reciprocity reasons, to keep our diplomats from getting detained or worse for bullshit crimes at the whims of foreign governments or even individual members of those governments who have authority.

Yeah that’s cool and all but if they’re going to beat charges, I think I or anyone else similarly affected should get a “get out of jail free” card if we beat the poo poo out of the rear end in a top hat with diplomatic plates who runs a red light and almost hits me while I’m in a crosswalk in DC. This has happened multiple times.

gently caress this kid, the only thing different between him and every other aspiring teenage organ donor with a motorcycle is that Daddy has a fancy job.