Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Cugel the Clever posted:

Forum bogeyman Matt Yglesias wrote strongly in favor of this in his last book. While I do agree in principle, I'm more skeptical of the political feasibility of the intervention in practice. There's just so much that would have to go into creating the incentives for business and skilled workers to shift and a lot of the left might take understandable issue with these handouts, even if the ostensible end goal is lift up a broader set of Americans by rebalancing our engines of economic opportunity.

we could just go full soviet union and say "this is the town that produces X. you wanna work in X you gotta live here. also you may not get a choice, we may just decide you work in X and ship you off somewhere"

sucks for you if you live in the town that exclusively produces the entire national supply of chemical weapons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

hobbesmaster posted:

Weren’t there reports of this during the Obama admin too? I might be mixing up the timing. I specifically remember the story about the White House physician offering everyone downers at the beginning of and uppers at the end of AF1 flights.

there was Colin Powell saying that all the frequent travel staff are on Ambien: https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/culture-news/welcome-to-the-united-states-of-ambien-168147/

that kinda does make sense if you're flying jet lag distances all the time and are expected to be ready to go as soon as you arrive. whether you'd hit frequent enough usage for dependency doing that is vov

as to whether there was any walrus activity on the flights, well, nobody's talking

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Icon Of Sin posted:

A collection of drugs that would’ve been too unbelievable for even Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.

gimme the parody fear and loathing where they just do a shitton of guaifenesin and simeticone

a now defunct canadian research chemical supplier had a weird habit of just throwing up various common OTC pharmaceuticals or even scheduled poo poo alongside the stuff (2C-series phenethylamines, typtamines, and LSD analogs) they were actually selling as some sort of weird screen technique. archives don't have it, but https://web.archive.org/web/20111221020617/http://www.avanztec.com/products/ legit had simeticone listed at some point, cause why not

Space Opera posted:

Before ruining your kidneys/liver, that amount of nsaid is going to send you straight to ulcer city in a single day, jesus christ.

For anyone curious...Guaifenesin (Mucinex) thins muscus secretions, and according to a medically trained relative of mine, it's impossible to OD. Dextromethorphan (DX in Mucinex DX) is a cough suppressant

guaifenesin is (maybe, we don't really know) a weird drug where it doesn't actually bind to receptors and instead just pisses some parts of your body off in a way that makes them mucus better https://go.drugbank.com/drugs/DB00874#mechanism-of-action

that "maybe has some interaction with NMDA receptors? idk" paper is interesting but there's only like one other on pubmed so w/e way too out in the weeds of novel research

dextromethorphan, comparatively, very much does interact with NMDA receptors and, while IME rather useless for cough suppression (it's a weird not-opioid we started using after shying away from codeine for coughs), is pretty drat good for fear and loathing purposes if you take a large amount of it, hence why you can buy "extra strong" cough medicine that is absolutely not used for its listed purpose

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Treating chronic pain with opiates is problematic, there are serious decisions doctors have to make about more effective drugs that have more abuse and addiction potential (opiates) vs less effective drugs that significantly increase the risk of serious physical conditions (NSAIDs) vs undertreating the pain in a way that reduces quality of life for the patient. Doctors erred on the side of the first option for a long time, and it helped drive the abuse epidemic. But the evidence generally suggests short-term use for acute pain was not a major contributing factor.

purdue pushing the hell out of the things and dismissing any sign of addiction as "actually, they just need more drugs!" didn't really help either. it's rather disappointing to go through the medical system and realize the degree to which doctors very much aren't pharmacologists and are like most white collar professionals in that they'll take sources that should credible at face value. this isn't exactly their fault--you should be able to take more specialized authorities in your broader field at their word--but there are far too many incentives in our society to lie out your rear end until it catches up with you

Milo and POTUS posted:

I'm super surprised DXM manufacturers haven't "harm reductioned" the formula by adding a bunch of acetimenophen to kill high schoolers and 20 somethings prevent abuse

recreational drug usage patterns aren't the best-studied things outside the big public health concerns of nicotine, alcohol, opioids, and dopaminergic stimulants. DXM has unpleasant side effects of its own and chronic NMDA antagonist use has historically been uncommon enough to fly under the radar, at least in the US. if you are in that population, there are options that are fairly available and less pharmacologically dirty (and thus usually less unpleasant) than DXM, especially nowadays with the expansion of white market ketamine prescribing. AFAIK recreational DXM use flies well enough under the radar that authorities are only barely aware of it, and it doesn't result in negative events nearly often enough to tighten its scheduling (idk of the legal specifics, but i think opioids requiring a script is why the APAP formulations are even an option--nothing really stops you from selling a high potency formulation of an OTC drug)

comparatively, we're so drat afraid of opioid abuse that the FDA has at least managed to strongarm producers into making most loperamide packaging the most infuriating single-pill blister packs imaginable, to... idk, limit the number of doses someone desperate enough to consume a large quantity of that yet somehow unaware of the existence of knives or scissors. more cynically, the explanation is that it's entirely pointless, some idiot bureaucrat had an idea and ran it to completion to demonstrate their creativity and effectiveness come promotion consideration time

Qtotonibudinibudet fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Jan 30, 2024

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

A.o.D. posted:

Slacktivism has such a negative connotation with regard to effectiveness, I kind of hate to see it applied here. I mean, it wasn't necessarily high effort, but making far right messaging pipelines useless is, in my mind a worthwhile effort. Then again, it is low effort on the part of a community, I guess I'm just shaking my fist at clouds about this.

it's arguably not slacktivism to run a social media-based effort if the goal is specifically to counter other social media content

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

facialimpediment posted:

I really do wonder why henge funds buy up newspapers just to drive them directly into the ground - like how much money do they even make with that strategy? Or do they just load the newspaper companies full of debt, due to the hedge fund, in the initial buyout?

i didn't get to see this because screenings had already sold out, but apparently selling off the real estate is profitable, after which they don't care: https://oaklandside.org/2024/01/24/stripped-for-parts-american-journalism-on-the-brink-new-parkway-rick-goldsmith/

dunno how they structure it such that they can extract those profits without needing to service the debt, but financiers are creative, they can find a way