Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Air Skwirl posted:

Get well soon Braks, and also what the gently caress is a gallbladder. Like I basically know what the heart, lungs, brain, liver, kidneys, intestine and stomach do, but every other internal organ, no idea.

Near as I can tell, it's a bitchy little organ that doesn't want you to eat anything that tastes good and makes you happy. YMMV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Both of my grandmothers had their gall bladders removed relatively young (like in their 50s / 60s) and went on to have long lives, only to be ended by a bad heart, and malnutrition (my grandma just sucked at eating, probably didn't help she was a terrible cook).

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Gall bladder does nothing the liver doesn’t do better!

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Me reading about the modern marvels of medicine while I’m two ER trips, a CT scan, lots of blood work, and an Endo/colonoscopy deep and still no clue why my gut all of the sudden decided to start being all fucky :argh:

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

FizFashizzle posted:

Gall bladder does nothing the liver doesn’t do better!

Both it and the appendix should just be removed from everyone when they turn 18. I had gallstones on a mountain backpacking trip once and didn't think I'd make it back down. Took years for the doctors to diagnose it correctly (when I had more than showed on x-rays)

T-Square posted:

Me reading about the modern marvels of medicine while I’m two ER trips, a CT scan, lots of blood work, and an Endo/colonoscopy deep and still no clue why my gut all of the sudden decided to start being all fucky :argh:

I'm sorry to say this but you probably need to cut back on garlic and onion and your life will be less delicious but also less painful.

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Mar 27, 2024

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

trevorreznik posted:

I'm sorry to say this but you probably need to cut back on garlic and onion and your life will be less delicious but also less painful.

I'm curious but why is this? My sister in law has had gastro issues for years and she found out that she had to cut both of those out. What exactly is it about garlic and onions that causes issues?

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Quiet Feet posted:

I'm curious but why is this? My sister in law has had gastro issues for years and she found out that she had to cut both of those out. What exactly is it about garlic and onions that causes issues?

Fructan or specifically your gut breaking it down.

Apparently there's a similar mechanism to lactose where your intolerance gets worse as you get into your 30s and 40s. At least thats what my doctor told me. I can still eat a literal plate of garlic and onions but I had to switch to non dairy protein powder after Whey started turning my guts to water after 16 years of continuous use.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Quiet Feet posted:

BlindSite posted:

Fructan or specifically your gut breaking it down.

Apparently there's a similar mechanism to lactose where your intolerance gets worse as you get into your 30s and 40s. At least thats what my doctor told me. I can still eat a literal plate of garlic and onions but I had to switch to non dairy protein powder after Whey started turning my guts to water after 16 years of continuous use.

It also could be FODMAPs (of which fructan is one type), and they're suffering from IBS. I have IBS and both garlic and onions trigger it something fierce, along with other FODMAPs. I love garlic a lot more than onions though, so it's easy to pick which one I'm willing to suffer for.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

trevorreznik posted:

Both it and the appendix should just be removed from everyone when they turn 18.

No.

Appendix is like a little tree house for your gut flora to hide from gi infections. Its very important!

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
It's impossible to imagine Braks had any bile in her so clearly the gallbladder was vestigial :v:

Get well soon!

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
Get well soon Braks!

swickles posted:

Oh and a quick note about turnover times (TOT) for ORs.

So yeah, its wild to do all that in half an hour, but it does in thousands of facilities everyday.

I do consulting work with hospitals looking at their operating room efficiency, so this has been a weird discussion to jump into. Half an hour for TOT is the rule of thumb, and generally achievable for many case types aside from, as you said, the really complicated ones that tend to take longer in the room, so they’re performed less frequently from the jump. Eyes, scopes, and shots are the other side - way simpler, way quicker, and I’ve seen turnover times close to 10 minutes or less for those kinds.

The thing about having a half an hour for TOT is that it can be a result of how it’s defined. I don’t know when the next room is ready for a patient, I just know when the next patient is wheeled in, so the TOT is measured as the time between patients. But, if a case ends at 5 PM, and the next one starts at 7 AM, that’s not 14 hours of TOT. Hospitals generally don’t include anything over an hour. Which means that if you regularly take 75 minutes to turnover a room in some circumstance, that’s not getting captured by the average. If you include all those opthomology and scopes (some do, some don’t) and miss the turnovers you should work on, yeah you probably get half an hour as the average based on the math of only having numbers 0-60.

The other thing I’ve found is that there’s a strong correlation between what the surgeon for that case did previously. If the same surgeon stays in the same room, that’s a quicker turnover than a new surgeon in the room. A surgeon running two rooms simultaneously is in between - that’s aligning the cases so one room is being set up while the surgeon is operating in the other. Tends to happen most with ortho.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

The ortho I did half my surgery rotation with did two rooms at once. His PA would prep, then either he or I would close and he’d go chart and go to the next procedure.

He’d figure out how much he was making per procedure and put half into crypto during his break and would talk about it constantly during procedures.

Anyway I’m sure he’s doing fine.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Coco13 posted:

Get well soon Braks!

I do consulting work with hospitals looking at their operating room efficiency, so this has been a weird discussion to jump into. Half an hour for TOT is the rule of thumb, and generally achievable for many case types aside from, as you said, the really complicated ones that tend to take longer in the room, so they’re performed less frequently from the jump. Eyes, scopes, and shots are the other side - way simpler, way quicker, and I’ve seen turnover times close to 10 minutes or less for those kinds.

The thing about having a half an hour for TOT is that it can be a result of how it’s defined. I don’t know when the next room is ready for a patient, I just know when the next patient is wheeled in, so the TOT is measured as the time between patients. But, if a case ends at 5 PM, and the next one starts at 7 AM, that’s not 14 hours of TOT. Hospitals generally don’t include anything over an hour. Which means that if you regularly take 75 minutes to turnover a room in some circumstance, that’s not getting captured by the average. If you include all those opthomology and scopes (some do, some don’t) and miss the turnovers you should work on, yeah you probably get half an hour as the average based on the math of only having numbers 0-60.

The other thing I’ve found is that there’s a strong correlation between what the surgeon for that case did previously. If the same surgeon stays in the same room, that’s a quicker turnover than a new surgeon in the room. A surgeon running two rooms simultaneously is in between - that’s aligning the cases so one room is being set up while the surgeon is operating in the other. Tends to happen most with ortho.

I guess I never really thought about it much until yesterday. That place was a well oiled machine. Honestly, the worst thing that happened (that I know about) was that it took four tries to get Braks' IV in. Her bruises look like a map this morning.

Oh and Swickles, she just farted, so we can rest easy. :D

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

FizFashizzle posted:

The ortho I did half my surgery rotation with did two rooms at once. His PA would prep, then either he or I would close and he’d go chart and go to the next procedure.

He’d figure out how much he was making per procedure and put half into crypto during his break and would talk about it constantly during procedures.

Anyway I’m sure he’s doing fine.

If he’s able to actually cash out his Bitcoin, then yea he’s probably got tons of money now. Sadly, Bitcoin price has skyrocketed once again. This poo poo is never going away and I’m so loving tired of it.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Thanks for the fart update, babe. I'm sure everyone was on tenterhooks just waiting for the news.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

hang on while I update goon_fart_times.xlsm

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Was it stinky, loud, silent? We MUST know!

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
I’ll get my judging hat

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

Silly Burrito posted:

I guess I never really thought about it much until yesterday. That place was a well oiled machine. Honestly, the worst thing that happened (that I know about) was that it took four tries to get Braks' IV in. Her bruises look like a map this morning.

Oh and Swickles, she just farted, so we can rest easy. :D

I have this exact same feeling whenever I see a well-edited Youtube video about civil engineering. Like there's a curtain being lifted that lets me see the whole instead of the parts, but I made up the curtain.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

Bird in a Blender posted:

Was it stinky, loud, silent? We MUST know!

Seriously! Was it a train whistle? A little birdie? An earthquake?! Thread level of disappointment is inversely proportional to duration of the toot as well.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
And that’s Enough chat thread for the year

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
lol people are maaaad about Biden saying the government will pay for repairs on the bridge. They have no idea how slow anything gets done in this industry. It’d be years before anything got figured out even to the point of who is responsible.

Braks I am glad you are farting

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Joey Freshwater posted:

lol people are maaaad about Biden saying the government will pay for repairs on the bridge. They have no idea how slow anything gets done in this industry. It’d be years before anything got figured out even to the point of who is responsible.

Braks I am glad you are farting

Someone posted the timeline of the Minnesota bridge collapse. Within 3 days legislation to pay for the bridge rebuilding was drafted and passed by the house, within 5 days itnwas passed by the Senate and then signed into law the next day. So 6 days total to have it funded, passed with only 1 no vote in the House and then by unanimous consent in the Senate.

Can't wait to see this made into a something that takes a year to pass by the slimmest of margins.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
I'm working in my windowless dungeoun like home office today instead of my much brighter and window possessing living room for a variety of reasons and one of the cats just straight forces his big old body though the tiny gap to come in and sit on my lap. I feel a tiny bit bad that I'm going to get up in a few minutes since he put all that effort in to getting in but I need to get some time sensitive work done and also turn the sink off since my girlfriend left it running for him.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

swickles posted:

Someone posted the timeline of the Minnesota bridge collapse. Within 3 days legislation to pay for the bridge rebuilding was drafted and passed by the house, within 5 days itnwas passed by the Senate and then signed into law the next day. So 6 days total to have it funded, passed with only 1 no vote in the House and then by unanimous consent in the Senate.

Can't wait to see this made into a something that takes a year to pass by the slimmest of margins.

I hope it doesn’t take that long. This is a poo poo show not even just locally but nationally. Baltimore is 4-5 busiest port on the east coast with ~1m containers a year and is a big export heavy port. Philly and NY are nearby of course but that’s a lot to push off to other ports, even “short” term.

It’s 100% better to fix it now/as fast as safely possible and then figure out the rest later.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

We’re gonna build a bridge, a big beautiful bridge, and we’re gonna make Maersk pay for it

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

swickles posted:

"What is it, the government's job to make American lives better by funding infrastructure? Get outta here!"

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

Freaquency posted:

We’re gonna build a bridge, a big beautiful bridge, and we’re gonna make Maersk pay for it

That Danes think they can get away with collapsing our bridges under sleepy joe biden. They won't try that with me, they'll pay for the bridge and then some. It will be a beautiful bridge, like the bridges crossing the streams at my scottish golf course - the best golf course in the world according to the pros.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Maersk leased the ship but a company in Singapore owns it. A company in BVI in turn owns that company.

No Maersk employees were actually on the ship. It’s operated by the Singapore company. (Synergy Marine Group)

Maersk has a limited liability clause in their contract (and so does everyone else) that basically removes any responsibility for something like this from Maersk.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

swickles posted:

Well the chuds see it as “That City” full of “Those People” so this is going to get dragged out

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Joey Freshwater posted:

seiferguy posted:

"What is it, the government's job to make American lives better by funding infrastructure? Get outta here!"

I mean, what are they supposed to do, have a huge bake sale or sell World's Finest Chocolate to raise funds?

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

Build a floating bridge, when they sink they don't collapse!

The bridge crossing the Columbia river between my home town and Hood River is a piece of garbage that's always made me nervous when crossing. Washington and Oregon are still fighting over replacing one of the I-5 bridges and that makes no sense to me.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Silly Burrito posted:

I mean, what are they supposed to do, have a huge bake sale or sell World's Finest Chocolate to raise funds?

No, people legit think that we should file an insurance claim to pay for the rebuilding of the bridge. No mention of how complicated that would actually be, just like call up Progressive and make them get some bridge builders out there I guess?

lmao it took me 5 months to get a minor accident on my car fixed how long with insurance dick around about a whole rear end bridge

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

FizFashizzle posted:

No.

Appendix is like a little tree house for your gut flora to hide from gi infections. Its very important!

I've been lied to all my life!

And re: garlic/onion, a lot of IBS/stomach problems can be eliminated by going to a FODMAP diet. That diet is 99.99% impossible for any normal person to follow, and reintroducing foods can make things worse short term, so I would think twice about doing it without working with a professional. That being said, the 'big' two on it are garlic/onion. Hell, just last week I got real sick twice and I couldn't figure out why, then went and checked the new spice I was using in my food and yep, top two ingredients. I can tolerate them in lower quantities though.

Re: insurance, my friend does biglaw and his entire career has been representing giant companies suing their insurance provider who refuses to pay out. Example would be the Cubs when their stadium was falling apart and dropping objects onto people. The insurance companies litigate everything because the claims are so large, and these cases take forever. So presumably gov't spends now, sues the shipping company, insurance company comes in, and in twenty years there will be a settlement for one trillion dollars ($1 million dollars in 2020 dollars)

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Mar 27, 2024

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Braksgirl posted:

Thanks for the fart update, babe. I'm sure everyone was on tenterhooks just waiting for the news.
Fart once if you're okay.

Fart twice if you're under duress & we'll send authorities over.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Maersk simply decided that it was a bridge too far

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice

Braksgirl posted:

The Football Funhouse Chat Thread of 2024: Thanks for the fart update, babe.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Braksgirl posted:

thank you for spelling tenterhooks correctly braks
:respek:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

Maersk is a Danish company, the Danes have a king with a bunch of English royalty has both ancestors and descendants, Francis Scott Key wrote The Stae Spangled Banner during the War od 1812 that the British lost, therefore ramming the bridge with a giant cargo ship is an act of revenge.