Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

First night of insomnia of the new year yay

Probably didn't fall asleep until 2:00. Woke up at 6:30. 9-year-old woke up at 2:00 and decided to read and draw for three hours so she's going to hit a wall at some point and be grumpy the rest of the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

fartknocker posted:

gently caress the Cowboys

2024 off to a good start

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Bird in a Blender posted:

gently caress, if you had yours late, I'm ancient. I have a 4 year old and I'm 42. Figuring it out as you go is parenting 101 I think. We're having some real struggles with our kid right now. He gets frustrated super easily, and when that happens he starts yelling and screaming immediately. The hardest part is keeping calm when you have a tiny human screaming at you. I'm trying to be better at talking in a calm voice in response, but that doesn't always happen. The other hard thing is that he's an only child, so he always wants to play with us, and sometimes I just don't have the energy for play time. We really got to get him some more friends to hang out with.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg posted:

^ 42 with 8 and 4 year olds. I'm... So tired.

Same. I think of my posts like orgasms, awkward and almost always disappointing.

Hi fellow old parents. 43 and dad to a neurodivergent 9-year old. I have no idea how some of you also hold down jobs while doing this. I'm tired and frequently low-key stressed. That being said, I have no idea what I'd do with myself if I even felt like I could go back to work because my various bones and organs aren't likely to be able to do the physical sort of jobs I was doing before.

Our insurance is also not going to pay for kiddo's therapy any more starting in March because she's showing improvement. I think stopping a treatment because a treatment is working is kind of dumb as poo poo but I am not a healthcare industry vulture so :shrug:

quote:

posting

I used to just post random dumb stuff because my brain goes on weird tangents, so why not? I've been trying to sincere post more regularly, though honestly I still get anxiety interacting with humans, even if it is less than it used to be. GDT's are great for just dropping off the first stupid thought that comes into your head though so I like posting in them. Like I feel like most of my posts are either shitposts or long-winded effort posts because I have to get the thoughts out quick OR have to analyze them in excruciating detail.

Also

No Butt Stuff posted:

I had my kids early and late.

I never sleep.

Y'know, a little Butt Stuff could have prevented this.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Pron on VHS posted:

38 with a 2 yr old. Wish I had my kid in my 20s but I am in excellent shape for an almost 40 yd old so parenting isn’t tough. Have a cool patient mind that drifts off happy places anytime I am stressed. My wife and I most importantly are a very good team with great communication

That's huge right there. You both need to be on the same page as much as possible. Parenthood has been tough for us but we always check in with and support one another.

bobjr posted:

With anyone I knew under 20 who had a kid, the make or break point was how much help their parents/grandparents gave them.

My sister-in-law (she's in her late 30s and BIL in his mid-40s) was telling my wife the other day that they have no idea how we're managing. They moved to be closer to my wife's parents and get a lot of help babysitting and drat it seems nice. I'm not sure it would entirely matter for us though as our daughter has some mental/emotional issues that make her hard to handle at times and I don't know that her aging parents would be capable of it. We don't even feel comfortable hiring babysitters because while it's not a sure thing that there would be problems, if there are, I don't think the average person is going to know how to handle it.

Leperflesh posted:

It helps a bit that my older sister had two kids. I love my niece and nephew, but they're both special needs autism kids and I have no illusions that they're going to be capable of taking care of their aunt and uncle when we're old - hell, we may well still be helping to take care of them, the one that is 20 is showing zero signs of adapting to such adult challenges as "get your first job" or "do anything besides video games" and my sister's not got the will to push him harder. The younger one wants to be a programmer lately, but she's 17 and when I tried to answer a question about what tablet she should get that will let her do art directly on the tablet she was frustrated and confused by the concept of there being different operating systems, so the self-study aspect of learning tech doesn't seem to be strong there either. And she's trans, so that's another life challenge to deal with.

E: yeah I was just gonna say, I don't even know for sure if my daughter is going to be able to take care of herself as an adult, let alone us. :smith:"

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Blue Eye Samurai was really good. That is all.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

We were forecast for 4-6 inches of snow and there's just nothing out there. I am sad. :(

Still get the game interrupted for updates from stupid local ABC channel though!

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Qwijib0 posted:

fontchat

seen this new NFL font on a couple of broadcasts

I hate it, and hope they don't shift everything to it.

That looks like some AI generated bullshit.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Happy Birthday SB! You don't look a day over [your current age+5]!

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Silly Burrito posted:

you shouldn't have

no really

Speaking of birthday presents, did you ever get that pelican I sent you?

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Thaddius the Large posted:

Can’t remember if I’ve crowdsourced this in here, but my kid had a class project a while back where everyone is randomly assigned on of the states to do a report on, and she got South Dakota, which has now instilled an interest in her to visit this summer, but not with any more idea of what to actually visit there. Off the top of my head there’s Mt Rushmore, the Crazy Horse monument, the Corn Palace, and gently caress all else to do. Anybody got some great South Dakota vacation thoughts?

The Badlands is absolutely beautiful. You can also stop at Wall Drug so you can finally say "so this is Wall Drug, what's the big drat deal?"

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Silly Burrito posted:

It's getting cold around here but I've heard other places have had two feet of snow.

I want you to know I appreciate this.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Joey Freshwater posted:

I came down to Florida with the gf to visit her college friends. They’re all married so I’m hanging out with their husbands while the girls go off and do stuff. We played golf today and I swear to god they haven’t stopped complaining about their wives. Idk if it’s like bro culture or whatever but it’s annoying as hell. They tried roping me in like “does your girl annoy you too?” And I’m like…no, she’s awesome and I love hanging out with her wtf, and even if she did I wouldn’t talk poo poo about her to you losers.

Any man I've ever met whose said "happy wife, happy life" has seemed like 30 seconds from blowing their brains out.

My wife is amazing and I'm drat lucky she settled for my weird scrungly rear end.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Amy Pole Her posted:

Oh they also have these little carrots - they’re full shape but smaller, and in three colors (yellow, purple, etc) and they’re absolutely delicious with basic steaming and salting

Carrots are bad

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Qwijib0 posted:

Record scratch

Wat?

For some reason they give me dry heaves. Been this way since I was a kid and I have no idea why, but as a result I cannot stand them.

Like in tiny shreds in cole slaw it's fine but anything bigger than that and :barf:

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Grittybeard posted:

My brother in law has this and I'm like, dude you can't eat soup? Like a basic mirepoix can apparently mess him up.

Weirdest thing. He's fine with other spices and veggies of all sorts, just carrots are a problem for some reason.

Thats weird. I didn't realize it was a thing with other people until my father brought up that he had it too a few years ago, and I figured it was just some genetic thing. Kiddo has said she doesn't like them either because they make her throat feel weird.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

We complaining in here?

My daughter woke me up at 2:30 because she wet the bed so I had to help change her sheets and didn't fall asleep again until probably 4:00. I spent from 9:00 until now at the dealership getting various car poo poo fixed.

The sheets are at least a huge rarity at this point. We're at the point where there's only an accident maybe once a month and she still wears pull-ups to bed and that's usually enough.

I'm tired.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Bird in a Blender posted:

I heard from a friend that their 6 year old wets the bed literally every night. He doesn't get up though, he just pees and sleeps through it. It means they strip the bed every night and replace his sheets though. If there's one thing I'm grateful for with my kid is that he usually sleeps through the night, and the only bed wetting issues we've had are when he's sick.

I remember those days. Glad we don't have to put bed pads down anymore. I'll take stripping the bed once every once in a great while to having to spend money on them every week. Hoping we can get away from the pull-ups soon too and that's been looking better despite the occasional accident.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

I thought Ahsoka was bad but my wife liked it. Then again, she's way more into Star Wars than I am and has seen all the cartoons and everything, and I gather there's a lot of backstory in those.

Rosario Dawson felt really flat in it. Just a real in it for the check performance.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

I make zero dollars. Except for when I sell random stuff in SA Mart or on Ebay.

Actually I lied, I think I made $90 last year.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

No Butt Stuff posted:

I like RG3s assumption that we will all also die in our 50s-60s as most dumpster fuckers do

Well, I have a lot of health problems from my father's side. Then again he's also managed to live to 73 despite them so :shrug:

trilljester posted:

Went to Costco. Spent $250. Is it impossible to get out of there for under $100?

I sure as hell can't but then I only go once every month or two.

Ether Frenzy posted:

I already have pretty much everything I wanted

Pretty much the same but I'd love to start writing fiction again and this time I don't care if I wouldn't make any money off of it. I'm just almost never in the right headspace for it and I hate submitting work.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Finally an excuse to post this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWkwdp7Easc

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Goodbye Texans, you were a good story for a while.

Hmm, not the gdt

Anyway, gently caress the Cowboys

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Nervous posted:

TFF, guess what?

Whatsamatter Nervous? Chicken?

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

The first Michael Bay Transformers movie was acceptable. Not even good, just okay. The rest have sucked tremendously.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Android Apocalypse posted:

In insane cheapskate foods today: took the leftover Tostitos Scoops crumbs, salsa con queso, and guacamole and made the some hobo Mexican cereal for lunch.

I've been there. Minus the guac.

Guac is barf. :barf:

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

I've had guac that was like, separating, with watery stuff coming out of it, yuck
or totally unsalted, which was easily fixed but also baffling, at least add lime

but yeah good guacamole is not hard to make and it's sooo good

sure are a lot of finicky eaters in TFF really

I'll admit to being weirdly picky about things but I've always given food I dislike multiple shots.

My sister-in-law hated me for years because her, my now-wife and I all went to a Mexican place fairly early on in the relationship, and SIL would not stop pestering me to try the guac. Like not even asking or suggesting, just full on telling me to. Politely declining I think four or five times in a row did not work. By that point I'd tried guacamole and avocado a bunch of times in my life and just didn't care for it, so I reached into the bowl with my finger and took a swipe. I recognize it was childish but I'd absolutely had it by then. We both came away with bad first impressions of each other and didn't talk much for a few years. Which was awkward because wife and I got serious pretty quickly.

I've tricked myself into scallops and bacon a bunch of times because, hey, it's got bacon on it so it must be good, right? Nope. Can't stand them. Onions are impossible to avoid so I've had them plenty of times, raw and cooked, and can say I dislike them in any variety. Carrots literally make me gag but I can tolerate them in tiny amounts and I'll even put a little bit in soups or salads I make just for variety.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Dango Bango posted:

Quiet Feet - did you actually tell your SIL you didn't like guac/avocado after multiple tries in the past?

Yes and she just would not drop it.

We get along nowadays but it was just such a weird point of contention between us for a while.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

3 DONG HORSE posted:

the only hill i'll truly die on is Spam is Good. Nah, it's GREAT. I will eat it at all hours of the day.

:agreed:

I think the aversion is just that it's canned meat. I like to make tamago kake gohan (literally just eggs over rice) some weekends and a few slices of spam goes really well with it because it has the same saltiness that you'd get from soy sauce.

kiimo posted:

Sorry to change the subject but the trailer I (my team and I) have been working on just dropped and I'm proud of this one. The trailer and movie rule. I posted this just now in the trailer thread but want to share it here too.

If you like John Wick, Nobody, The Raid, that kind of poo poo but want a socio-economic subtext involving the caste system this poo poo is for you. Dev Patel's directorial debut and this is probably the beginning of a tentpole franchise. He's going to be a thing.

https://twitter.com/monkeymanmovie/status/1750910440761389088

Hell yeah I'll watch that.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

It's kinda sad that day one of Bidens presidency the Dems didn't make it job #1 finding someone among them who wasn't in obvious mental decline to run this year. They had four years for this poo poo and didn't do it. I suppose the even more grim thought is that they couldn't find anyone expected to poll better than gramp gramp.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

We've had to send in our joy-cons repeatedly now for stick drift and it's not even like we do a ton for gaming or play really action intensive things. I guess unless you count TotK. About all I played last year was that and Dragon Quest 11.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Nervous posted:

TFF, meet Shadow. He's tiny and amazing and the bestest boy ever :allears:

Dog tiny.

Me like tiny dog.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Tulalip Tulips posted:

Oh my god, stop texting me Nikki Haley's presidential campaign.

This but literally every goddamn Democrat.

I volunteered for Bernie. I do not give a poo poo about the rest of you, gently caress off.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Fat Jesus posted:

Also as someone who's worked in agriculture his entire life I cannot see the point of his 'cybertruck'.

Horny nerds loved the original Romb Raider. Now Imagine: what if PS1 Lara Croft were a truck?

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Woke up, made coffee, turned on HBO to see what's playing so I got something mindless to watch while drinking said coffee… and Fever Pitch is on.

I love how this was based off a book about soccer and they had to change the ending because the Red Sox won the World Series while filming.

Now the ownership is gutting the team in hopes of selling it. I love sports movies.

This was the movie they played for the jury pool last time I was in for jury duty.

I read Neil Gaiman's book of Norse mythology instead.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

trevorreznik posted:

Here, use this list instead (replace Winter Soldier with Edge of Tomorrow, but otherwise you can pretty much go top down)
https://filmschoolrejects.com/best-action-movies-decade/5/

The Night Comes For Us is my favorite on the list. That fight in the butcher shop... :suspense: :stonklol:

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Also, just finished watching justice League and it deserves the hate it gets. They tried to cram way too much into two hours and it feels rushed, and the CG is bad, especially for Cyborg.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Timby posted:

I watched Josstice League once and only once.

It is the rare disaster of a movie that I have zero desire to ever re-watch, because it isn't even fascinatingly terrible (like, say, the Raul Julia Street Fighter movie, the Stallone Judge Dredd, things of that ilk). It's just bad.

:agreed:

I've been trying to get myself back into using the treadmill and have a kong list of stuff I had only a passing interest in and it was that one's turn. Glad I didn't pay actual money to see it in theaters.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Did you watch the Snyder Cut? That (and the director's cut of Superman V. Batman: Dawn of Justice) has more stuff to fill in plot holes.

I should note that doesn't make the movies any better, but at least you know what's going on.

I realize my favorite Zach Snyder movie is his remake of Dawn of the Dead.

Definitely not the Snyder cut. This one was only 2 hours long.

Looked that up and jesus, I don't know if I wanna watch a 4-hour version of what I just saw.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

My wife has tomorrow off so we're gonna do the marital sex in the morning and then go to lunch somewhere. You don't have to wait until night to have a date night!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

swickles posted:

Scheduled sex, how exciting.

Yeah we totally had both of our secretaries mark this down months ago and had to fill out forms in triplicate. :jerkbag:

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Brother, if your scheduled sex ain’t exciting, that’s on you